Author Topic: Looking for more easy songs with fingerpicking patterns  (Read 1275 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Looking for more easy songs with fingerpicking patterns
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:22:00 PM »
In before, "Just keep playing!"

I'm first and foremost a pianist but over the past couple years I've taken a shine to just sitting on the couch and fingerpicking while I'm watching TV. I can't play much fingerpicking, even less entire songs. I can do like the first minute of Blind Guardian's "The Bard's Song" but my two favorite things to play are "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac and "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas. The two most predictable, basic, fundamental fingerpicking songs for any amateur guitarist, I imagine. But they're SUPER fun to play. Those patterns are extremely satisfying to play and even sing over, but I want some other songs like that which use different patterns. I like those quick patterns using my thumb as the bass note and alternating between the other fingers, the feeling of moving my fingers fluidly like that is very satisfying indeed.

One of my favorite things to do is sit and fingerpick Anathema's "Untouchable, Pt. 1" - it's taken me months to work up the speed but I'm finally getting there. I can't play much complex stuff, but I've worked and worked and worked at that and I feel good whenever I'm able to pick through it several times without stopping. The stamina and dexterity required is wild. Now it took me forever to figure out barred chords and how to properly play them so I know I will break through at some point, but it's practice I love so that's not a problem...

Any help? I see lots of suggestions for songs online but like, man, I just don't enjoy "Blackbird" by The Beatles, for example. Just looking for some more songs with cool/accessible fingerpicking patterns. I can pick Opeth's "Patterns In The Ivy, Pt. 1" but can't fingerpick it to save my life, mostly because it's a bit more complex than Landslide or DITW...

Alternatively, should I just find a bunch of patterns and work on those? I've tried that before but because it becomes just 'practice this over and over' I lose interest quickly, I like having the context of a song to make it more compelling.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Looking for more easy songs with fingerpicking patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
 "Broons Bane" by Rush.  It's off the live Exit Stage Left album, it's a nice guitar piece Alex plays leading into "The Trees".  I learned that on tab years ago and it's always a go to song for me while playing acoustic. Very rewarding to learn and not very difficult. Fun to play!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 11:18:20 AM »
Thank you! I'm checking it out now  :tup

EDIT: This is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for - a nice piece with gentle patterns and I can play it at a slower speed immediately. Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:23:58 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »
  :tup
Also make sure you learn the intro to The Trees as Broons Bane flows so nicely into it.  It's a very melodic change into all major chords when you reach that section. So awesome!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:09:21 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP