Author Topic: Hawaii wants DT!  (Read 1413 times)

Offline MuleJuice

Hawaii wants DT!
« on: April 01, 2019, 11:45:12 AM »
New to the board, being I am a huge DT fan myself as I’m sure most of you are, does anybody know if DT has ever even played in Hawaii. I actually live in Hawaii and never have gotten a chance to see them live along with a bunch of friends. Does anybody know any updates or possibilities of the boys ever flying out to do a show out in Hawaii? Has the band ever spoken or addressed the fact they’ve never been? Thanks guys.

Offline pg1067

Re: Hawaii wants DT!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
According to setlist.fm, they have never played the following states:

Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Hawaii
Mississippi
Montana
North Dakota
South Carolina
South Dakota

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-map/dream-theater-bd6a102.html  (if you click on the U.S. on the world map, it will give you a breakdown by state)

I would assume it would be prohibitively expensive for a band with DT's drawing power to play a location like Hawaii.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:52:34 PM »
I would assume it would be prohibitively expensive for a band with DT's drawing power to play a location like Hawaii.

Well, there's got to be a nice venue in Hawaii that can accommodate DT's stage space and fill up to 1,500-2,000 people.  Plus, if they plan on doing a tour in Asia or Australia, they can plan a stop in Hawaii do to a show.  That stated, Hawaii is not a sizable market for bands to think it's worth the while.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »
If they were to play Hawaii I think it'd be a scenario where they all go there with their families as a vacation.....and maybe play a small club for the fun of it. There's no way it's anywhere near financially 'worth' it to set up a 'real' gig there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »
DT's never played South Carolina?! ???
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »
Why is that shocking?  SC is a worse market than here in NC, and they only played NC for the first time on the Prog Nation tour (2009?), and only regularly since the Astonishing tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 01:40:02 PM »
If they played California 4 times and not Arizona even once on this tour, they ain't going to Hawaii any time soon.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Why is that shocking?  SC is a worse market than here in NC, and they only played NC for the first time on the Prog Nation tour (2009?), and only regularly since the Astonishing tour.

'cause it's on the east coast and they've been around for over 30 years? I dunno man I'm from the midwest, you wanna talk about bad markets...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
 :lol

Within Temptation announced today they are playing in Antarctica, I'm sure DT can manage Hawaii  :biggrin: (Within Temptation is part of a green peace cruise thing so not a typical comparison). 

Do metal bands ever really come to Hawaii?  I know Def Leppard did fairly recently, but I can't recall seeing much of any bands touring there.

Some states like North/South Dakota, I'm not sure there's anyone there to complain besides Adami

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 07:41:12 PM »
It would be insanely cool if the 5 guys said "let's do a vacation in Hawaii, we'll take our instruments in the plane, rent amplifiers in Honolulu, and play a stripped down version of our set". That would be the only way of making that financially viable. Hauling their regular stage show to Hawaii is way too expensive.

EDIT: Just looked at the DT gig map. Wow, they played twice as many times in Germany than they did in the UK.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »

Well, there's got to be a nice venue in Hawaii that can accommodate DT's stage space and fill up to 1,500-2,000 people.  Plus, if they plan on doing a tour in Asia or Australia, they can plan a stop in Hawaii do to a show.  That stated, Hawaii is not a sizable market for bands to think it's worth the while.

I'm sure there are venues that could accommodate DT, but the issue is whether the financial return would justify the cost of bringing all the gear and all of the crew to a location for a one stop show.  If they draw 2,000 fans at an average ticket price of $100, that's a gross of $200,000.  How much of that does the band get?  Then figure what it costs to fly all of the gear and crew to the island.  DT isn't a big enough band or in need of growing its audience such that playing in a somewhat remote location makes sense if it can't be done for a profit.

South Carolina is also sandwiched between two states that each have twice as many people, and each of which has a major metropolitan area.

Do metal bands ever really come to Hawaii?  I know Def Leppard did fairly recently, but I can't recall seeing much of any bands touring there.

I wouldn't think it would make a ton of sense unless the artist can fill a 10,000+ seat arena, but I'm just guessing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 06:51:21 AM »
No Alabama?

"Well I hope DT will remember, a southern man don't need prog around anyhow"
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »
No Alabama?

"Well I hope DT will remember, a southern man don't need prog around anyhow"
Well that would make Alabama NOT such a sweet home..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 12:44:49 AM »
New to the board, being I am a huge DT fan myself as I’m sure most of you are, does anybody know if DT has ever even played in Hawaii. I actually live in Hawaii and never have gotten a chance to see them live along with a bunch of friends. Does anybody know any updates or possibilities of the boys ever flying out to do a show out in Hawaii? Has the band ever spoken or addressed the fact they’ve never been? Thanks guys.

Us poor souls in Hawaii have to make a vacation out of attending a DT concert in the mainland. I feel your pain braddah.