Author Topic: Question regarding Meet & Greet photo for this tour  (Read 1028 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Question regarding Meet & Greet photo for this tour
« on: March 31, 2019, 08:10:14 AM »
I was just wondering what my expectations should be for the image resolution of the Meet & Greet photo, for this tour?

I did the meet & greet in 2011 and 2014, and both times, the photos were 1600 x 1200, basically, which isn't massive, but it's a good resolution for printing them out, but when I did the meet & greet in 2016 for The Astonishing tour, the photo I got was 1024 x 507, which is disappointingly small. Their reasoning was that these photos were meant to be for social media and not for printing, but it's a very poor excuse, if you ask me. And considering how much these VIP packages cost, the least they could do is give is an appropriately high resolution photo.
I didn't do the meet & greet in 2017, partially for this reason, but this time I wanted to do it anyway, just to say hi to the band and stuff, so I was just curious what the resolution was like, this time around. Whether I should be getting my hopes up for something that won't look like a blurry mess if I were to print it out and put it on my wall. If anyone who's done the meet & greet already and has their photo could let me know what the maximum image resolution of the photo with the band is, I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: Okay, I feel like a bit of an idiot. I just realized that I could go to the smugmug page and use the password to see what the photos from other cities look like, and it seems the largest offered resolution is 2 megapixels, which I think is good.

However, I did notice some questionable quality issues with regards to the photos in general. The San Diego ones were all blurry, no matter what resolution you looked at them, and the ones after that seemed to have a bit of over-exposure going on. So that is concerning, I have to say.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:19:41 AM by TheGreatPretender »
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline DT1138

Re: Question regarding Meet & Greet photo for this tour
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »
I just checked my photos from the Chicago Nov 2017 show and they are all...

1600 x 1057
72 dpi
24 bit depth
sRGB
Taken with a Canon EOS 60D

I'm not one for printing photos personally, but I will say the overall brightness was way too high on mine.  The file size is also really small (all upper 3xx range) so I wouldn't expect much there - you're not setting up for a magazine shoot.   ;)

They were kind of in a hurry when it was setup and they ran us thru the line VERY quickly.  But ehh, it was worth it for a few seconds being between JP and MM.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
This really is an issue because they just take one pic and if it's blurry/somebody's eyes not open/bad looking face, there's nothing to be done for it. And they really need to set up better lighting for the pics and there's a plenty of good filter presets on the internet which get the picture seems great. It's not a big work to be done and if I pay more like 200€ of the m&g experince, I will want a high resolution picture.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:42:58 AM »

I'm not one for printing photos personally, but I will say the overall brightness was way too high on mine.  The file size is also really small (all upper 3xx range) so I wouldn't expect much there - you're not setting up for a magazine shoot.   ;)

Magazine shoot, no, but it still looks good, even as an 8x10 inch print. It doesn't look too blurry or pixelated, at the very least, it looks fine from 3 or so feet away, but that would not be the case for something that's basically half the resolution.

My file size from 2014 is about 400kb, at a glance, there's no major JPEG noise there, or anything. In terms of compression quality, the ones from this tour look just fine, and thankfully, they're big enough. I'm glad that they stopped skimping out on the resolution. I mean, they're using a high quality, professional camera, but if they provide images that are smaller than the standard resolution on my 5 year old smart phone, then what's even the point? They may as well be using a cheap, disposable camera from the 90s.

This really is an issue because they just take one pic and if it's blurry/somebody's eyes not open/bad looking face, there's nothing to be done for it. And they really need to set up better lighting for the pics and there's a plenty of good filter presets on the internet which get the picture seems great. It's not a big work to be done and if I pay more like 200€ of the m&g experince, I will want a high resolution picture.

Exactly. It's unfortunate when people just suck it up and accept it. I see statements like, "What's important is the memory, that you get to meet the band." But, no, that only goes so far. If I randomly run into DT on the street, and I ask for a picture and it turns out blurry, that's fine, because it was a nice, candid little chance encounter. But these Meet & Greet packages come at exuberant prices. Yes, of course, meeting your favorite band and saying hi to them is great, but this isn't a favor they're doing for their fans. We're paying for a service, and it's an expensive one. The least the company organizing it should do is ensure that the photos would be of good quality and resolution.

Offline Air Weaver

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 05:17:54 PM »

Exactly. It's unfortunate when people just suck it up and accept it. I see statements like, "What's important is the memory, that you get to meet the band." But, no, that only goes so far. If I randomly run into DT on the street, and I ask for a picture and it turns out blurry, that's fine, because it was a nice, candid little chance encounter. But these Meet & Greet packages come at exuberant prices. Yes, of course, meeting your favorite band and saying hi to them is great, but this isn't a favor they're doing for their fans. We're paying for a service, and it's an expensive one. The least the company organizing it should do is ensure that the photos would be of good quality and resolution.

Oh boy - you allhave me nervous now. I only did one M&G before, Astonishing leg one. I was pretty happy with that one.

This time around I bought 3 VIPs, and we're all dressing for the occasion, so I would hope a little care and attention go into my four figure photo! (Yes I know I bought more than the photo, but still.....) 

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 05:30:10 PM »
Oh boy - you allhave me nervous now. I only did one M&G before, Astonishing leg one. I was pretty happy with that one.

This time around I bought 3 VIPs, and we're all dressing for the occasion, so I would hope a little care and attention go into my four figure photo! (Yes I know I bought more than the photo, but still.....)

Well, in terms of the resolution, I have no complaints, it's nice and big, big enough anyway. Would look good as a print.
I would say it was a tad overexposed, but nothing so harsh that faces look like white blobs or anything. And in focus, thankfully. So hopefully yours will turn out fine.