Poll

Do you consider "Octavarium" to be one of the best DT songs?

Yes
110 (70.1%)
No
47 (29.9%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: Do you consider "Octavarium" to be one of the best DT songs?  (Read 4593 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Do you consider "Octavarium" to be one of the best DT songs?
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »
Oh, I don't think it's bad. It just detracted from my overall enjoyment of the song because the other parts are so immersive, then suddenly comes a section that doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
I wouldn't want the same style of lyrics from a band.  Variety is the spice of life and in DT's case, that's what they strive for.

erwinradael, that would be like me complaining about CSN and their song OHIO. It was a protest song about violence that happened at Kent State when I was 2 years old.  It's topical to that day but I got to understand the storylines and the implications.  Mike just used something relevant in his life to express this characters mindset while going back into a coma.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »
Different perspectives are so interesting. Good stuff :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »
I wouldn't want the same style of lyrics from a band.  Variety is the spice of life and in DT's case, that's what they strive for.

erwinradael, that would be like me complaining about CSN and their song OHIO. It was a protest song about violence that happened at Kent State when I was 2 years old.  It's topical to that day but I got to understand the storylines and the implications.  Mike just used something relevant in his life to express this characters mindset while going back into a coma.

I wouldn't complain about Ohio. The lyrics themselves already have enough narrative content to give you a sense of what Crosby, Stills and Nash was writing about.

Context specific lyrics sometimes work, especially when it references something that is relatively widely known. Like Room 137 by Mike Mangini, which only really makes sense when you know Wolfgang Pauli's story. The lyrics of Full Circle, for me, was too specific about MP's personal context that I never got it, and during those days, I hardly know anything about the band member's lives because all we ever had access here are CDs. No magazines. Nothing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »
You can still enjoy the lyrics to Room 137 without understanding them.  You can also look up the meaning if you like to get an understanding.  That's the beauty of lyrics. 

Over-analyzing takes away the joy of the song.

Different perspectives are so interesting. Good stuff :corn

And that to me is the crux of this conversation. Lyrics can have many perspectives even though they might mean something specific.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »
Octavarium is OK, maybe top 20-30... It's no "A Nightmare to Remember"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2019, 02:39:42 PM »

???  :facepalm:  ???  :| ???  :eek
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »
I really enjoy the lyrics in Full Circle, from the first listen I thought they were pretty cool, didn't understand a thing but it sounded cool. Later when I learned the motivation, I enjoyed them even more.

As I say before, probably my favorite DT song.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2019, 03:12:38 PM »
It's no "A Nightmare to Remember"
Thank God
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »
I'm thinking some of the voters may have misunderstood the question.  8VM doesn't need to be a top 10 song to be one of their best.  With more than 150 songs in DT's catalog, I would consider a top 50 song "ONE" of their best.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »

This post will survive.

ROOOOOOAAAARRRRRR!!!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2019, 07:21:28 PM »
I feel comfortable saying Octavarium is not a top 5 song for me. It might well sneak into the top 10, and if not there it's definitely in the top 15.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2019, 12:46:22 AM »
Nope, perhaps if it was 12-15 minutes long. And it didn't contain that final lisp-ish "this Octavarium" scream. It's certainly one of their best songs if we don't factor in the albums before, though.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2019, 10:20:37 AM »
Nope, perhaps if it was 12-15 minutes long. And it didn't contain that final lisp-ish "this Octavarium" scream. It's certainly one of their best songs if we don't factor in the albums before, though.
:lol It’s great if you ignore all of the better stuff.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2019, 10:33:34 AM »
Not really.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
No, good song but they have many better songs. It takes too long before it gets interesting

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »
I consider it to be the best song they've ever made. It tops my list.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.