Author Topic: Appreciating Dream Theater's continuing excellence  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
Re: Appreciating Dream Theater's continuing excellence
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2019, 03:56:26 PM »
I just want them to do what they love. I gain the benefit from it and appreciate it. I am glad they come to the SE and will continue to go to every show if they come to the state or with a 2-3 hr drive.

If they feel the need or have a circumstance that requires them to hang it up, that's OK. Looking forward to 20-30 more years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »
Well, while they do "have to" tour to sustain a living, the other issue is that they really enjoy performing.  If that ever leaves any of them, then yeah, that member should maybe consider stopping.  But they enjoy performing their music for people, and they love seeing the enjoyment that fans get from the performances.

Bosk, you get that sense from Mangini as well? Asking because he often seems overwhelmed.

Yes, I do. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 06:41:47 PM »
Well, while they do "have to" tour to sustain a living, the other issue is that they really enjoy performing.  If that ever leaves any of them, then yeah, that member should maybe consider stopping.  But they enjoy performing their music for people, and they love seeing the enjoyment that fans get from the performances.

Bosk, you get that sense from Mangini as well? Asking because he often seems overwhelmed.

Yes, I do.

To me, he seems like the one who enjoys touring the most. The man is pure smiles every time he talks about the shows, the fans and everything. He got his dream job and he’s enjoying it as much as possible (it seems).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 06:57:19 PM »
I think the thing with Mike is that he is an extremely physical drummer. I think there's also a lot of pressure and focus with the click track.

I believe he is extremely happy.

There was that video that came out a couple of years ago in a hotel where he seemed cranky, and there was all this speculation that he wasn't happy. I sent the video to someone very close to him, and they basically said he wasn't upset. But he was exhausted.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »
There was that video that came out a couple of years ago in a hotel where he seemed cranky, and there was all this speculation that he wasn't happy. I sent the video to someone very close to him, and they basically said he wasn't upset. But he was exhausted.
It's almost like he's a human being who gets different emotions sometimes that don't reflect on his overall disposition. I know, it's crazy.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robbob

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 11:51:20 AM »
This is one of the most impressive things about DT.
From a big picture perspective, in my mind, they surpass all of the more well known, iconic and historic bands like the Stones, U2, Zeppelin, Beatles and others because of this. They may have not been as influential but their consistently good and lengthy output demands more attention.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »
Yes, with DoT, I think it's safe to say that the excellence has been continued.  Thank you.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline AnimalsAsLeaders

• Kachow!
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 12:08:14 PM »
Good point  :tup I remember listening them on my big brother's iPod, now he has 2 children and DT is still great!