Author Topic: Appreciating Dream Theater's continuing excellence  (Read 3241 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Appreciating Dream Theater's continuing excellence
« on: March 27, 2019, 09:46:20 AM »
I was looking through my music player in my phone when I noticed this detail:

1989 - When Dream and Day Unite
1999 - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
2009 - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
2019 - Distance Over Time

I just smiled and appreciated how lucky I am that my favorite band that I discovered back when I was a teenager is still churning out excellent music now that I am 40 years old. Few bands have continuously produced excellent new output this deep into their careers (DT compatriots Fates Warning is another excellent case). I don't really know how much time we have left before they run out of creative juices, but I will enjoy the ride as long as they can.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Appreciating Dream Theater's continuing excellence
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »
Awesome post.  I agree wholeheartedly.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:48 AM »
Yeah I first got into DT when I saw them live on the images and words tour in 1993. I've been hooked ever since. I'm grateful too that they are still putting out great music now that I'm in my mid forties. Their last three albums DT12, TA, and d/t are among my favorites ever.  :coolio
I guarantee they have a LOT left in them as far as creating more music..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
Agreed. I was just becoming a teenager when I discovered DT with Images & Words, and it just blew my mind. Helped shape my musical discovery all throughout high school, as I found them between 8th grade and freshman year of high school. Now I'm 28 and still loving the Theater. Some albums have been better than others, but at the end of the day, Dream Theater lives on  :metal Saw them for the first time, finally, back in 2016, and then again in 2017. Hoping they come back later this year so I can still see them on this tour.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:08:21 AM »
I was looking through my music player in my phone when I noticed this detail:

1989 - When Dream and Day Unite
1999 - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
2009 - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
2019 - Distance Over Time

I just smiled and appreciated how lucky I am that my favorite band that I discovered back when I was a teenager is still churning out excellent music now that I am 40 years old. Few bands have continuously produced excellent new output this deep into their careers (DT compatriots Fates Warning is another excellent case). I don't really know how much time we have left before they run out of creative juices, but I will enjoy the ride as long as they can.
the bolded part is what matters really. And I hope we haven't seen the last of them yet. That would sadden me somewhat, especially since they have been on a constant roll and a constant upward trajectory (IMHO) ever since MP left the band (FII was a major slump to me and every album from 2002-2009, I mostly enjoy modern-day DT). I'm grateful, even if I may not seem like it. But I am. And the other noteworthy thing is this: There were several points in their history where I would have thought: OK, they may be over. (so 1994 or 1998 or 2003 or 2005 or 2010) but they stuck around. This is remarkable to me as well. (I'm trying my best to be neutral)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:15:33 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 10:14:54 AM »
Knowing how they operate, if they were contemplating hanging it up, they wouldn't say anything unless and until it came time for a proper "farewell tour" (if they decided to go that route).  So we probably wouldn't know when they planned to hang it up.  But that said, I have not felt like there is ANY indication from my discussions with the band or management that they are even thinking about hanging it up anytime soon.  They all seem to really love what they do and to want to continue it for the foreseeable future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »
Thanks for the insight. I'm seriously relieved.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
They all seem to really love what they do and to want to continue it for the foreseeable future.

And this is for me the key. If musicians love what they do, and it's their life, they just carry on.

Look at Iron Maiden, it's 15 years at least that they state "we can't go on forever", "We do shorter tours in the summer", "Better enjoy it while it last", and still they go on and on and on and on.

It's easy when you're 40-45 to assume "Well, when I'm 60, I'll probably won't be able to do it anymore". But as long as the passion is there and the physical health is there too, when you're actually there having a good time why not making another album... and if it feels good another one... and so on.

And about the original point of the threead... I wholeheartedly agree. Yes, the occasional album here and there might not be a flawless masterpiece for the ages. The occasional song here and there might be just average. But looking at the bigger picture, the whole output of DT has been a constant ride well above the excellency line, and when they come down from it, they don't really go THAT MUCH down.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 02:26:50 PM »
Musically, I don’t think they’ll ever run out of ideas. JP alone mentioned how he’s always coming up with seed ideas, so the potential for writing new music most likely won’t be the reason they throw in the towel someday. All the guys in the band come across as having the drive and creativity to continue on until their bodies just give up. They all seem to be in great shape, with probably no heavy drugs or or heavy boozing involved as far as I know, so they’ll probably last past what average statistics suggest as long as no external disaster occurs.

From past interviews I’ve watched and read, all their families are behind them 100%, so I doubt they’ll ever get pressure from them along the lines of “Honey, I think it’s time to settle down.” Their families seem 100% behind them, which is an important factor (not too sure about Manginis situation, though. But I’m betting based on the guys personality, dedication, and acceptance of the other guys that he’s in a similar boat as the others).

As far as a farewell tour, I can only see it happening under a couple conditions. That would be either based on them collectively coming to the conclusion that they wouldn’t have enough physical steam to go beyond one more tour, or one of them eventually has a sit down with the others and says they can’t physically continue for much longer. JP himself said shortly after hiring MM that the current lineup was it, and they’d be done if they had to consider changing up again.

To conclude based on that, I think we have quite a few years left and plenty of albums to come that’ll just extend their already diverse catalogue!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:31:44 PM »
I think some might laugh at considering BC&SL in that 10 year list, but it's an awesome album in my mind. 

Definitely +1 in the appreciation of DT and their continuance of excellence, I really kind of expected it though.  The band has never let me down musically.  Someone did a thread here about bands you can rely on on or something similar, and DT are pretty much up there as one of the only ones that I totally expect to and have so far loved all of their releases, maybe it's the fan boy in me, but I do feel like DT can do no wrong when it comes to creating music. 

Offline PMA

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 05:01:03 PM »
I am also in awe of the stellar output from this band and how long they've been doing this.  I will continue to hope for many more years.  With that said, we all must face the possible reality of James not being able to maintain his level of vocal ability which might cause them to look at how they want to proceed (or not).  I don't know what his regimen is for maintaining his voice but as he gets older, can we really expect that they can continue to do 2.5 hour evening with shows and have him cover older material?  I really love his voice and style but his performances for years have been hot and cold.  Even this past Sunday in SF, he started a bit weak in the first set but then found his range and killed it in SFAM and totally nailed PMU in the encore. 

If anything might affect their future, I believe it will be James that will be the risk factor.  IF that begins to happen, they could definitely mitigate this by doing shorter shows/tours, writing new material in keys he can handle better or even tune down on older stuff but I wonder how that would affect the band and how they want to move forward.  James is the voice of DT and I can't ever envision them replacing him.  If he couldn't continue, I could see that being a catalyst to their final days.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »
Been a fan since right before Awake came out and I think they have never been better. Have been a big fan of Mangini since day one but the way he contributed and they all contributed as a band I think they hit a high mark. They show no signs of slowing down and it has been 30 years since their 1st album! I truly hope they make it to 40 years or more like Rush and crank out another 4 or 5 albums.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »
DT has an incredible trajectory, I don't think any other band in the genere will ever match what they've accomplished. Way to go, DT :tup

About them doing a farewell tour or whatever, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Let's face it, JP is the driving force behind the band (not that the others don't contribute, but he is he main guy), and as long as we have JP in good health/shape and willing to release new music and tour, there's DT for 10+ years to come.

Will all the current members remain in the band untill the very end? I, personally don't think so, and there's nothing wrong with that. I've said this before, and I don't necessarily want this to happen, but I can imagine James and/or Jordan retiring eventually and the band continuing without them.
Long lived bands (with Rush being the most notable exception) usually go through a lot of lineup changes during their career, but as long as there's still passion and authenticity in their music (vs touring just for making cash), I don't see anything wrong with them doing it with other members. A band should be more than the sum of its parts.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline adamack

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »
This thread has got me thinking about something. Let's say that DT reaches a point soon where they are just burnt out, but the main contributor to that is the touring. So they still continue to release albums, but they don't tour (or only do a handful of more exclusive shows for each album).

Is this a viable idea or no? I'd assume not since most of the money is in the touring.

Also, can anyone name some bands who have done this?

Since I'm not really a concert junkie but I LOVE my albums, it would be so amazing if DT could keep going for a long time with this formula.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 10:28:36 PM »
This thread has got me thinking about something. Let's say that DT reaches a point soon where they are just burnt out, but the main contributor to that is the touring. So they still continue to release albums, but they don't tour (or only do a handful of more exclusive shows for each album).

Is this a viable idea or no? I'd assume not since most of the money is in the touring.

Since I'm not really a concert junkie but I LOVE my albums, it would be so amazing if DT could keep going for a long time with this formula.

Sadly, bands don’t make much out of music sales anymore. It’s in the touring/mech sales where they make most of their income in the music biz.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 10:49:42 PM »
I was and still an a giant fan of Metallica an Iron Maiden. The first band I ever got into was Queen but Metallica and Maiden were what I listened to all the time throughout my teenage years. But Dream Theater kind of took over. I don't enjoy the two Ms 2000s output nearly as much as I enjoy Dream Theater.

And this isn't a shitfest on Metallica and Maiden. I really like Death Magnetic and Hardwired to Self Destruct but I don't listen to the that much. And with Maiden, I haven't been able to get into anything other than the first 7 albums & Brave New World but admittedly, I haven't given those other albums much of a listen.

So it's very nice to have at least twelve albums from from Dream Theater that I can listen to and really enjoy. I hardly ever go to concerts. I'm 38 and I've only been to five concerts and one of them was for three bands I'm not into (Hatebreed, Disturbed, & Danzig) but I went just to go. I saw DT in 2016 and I'll be seeing them again this year so that says a lot. My only regret is I didn't see them more often.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »

Tool?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 07:10:20 AM »

Sadly, bands don’t make much out of music sales anymore. It’s in the touring/mech sales where they make most of their income in the music biz.

Yeah, I don't think that would make business sense, due to the bulk of income coming from touring.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 07:15:26 AM »
That's a pity. I would totally accept the premise of "Listen guys, we're all into our 60s, we can't tour properly anymore, but the passion to make music is still there so we'll make music until we die".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 07:17:44 AM »
That's a pity. I would totally accept the premise of "Listen guys, we're all into our 60s, we can't tour properly anymore, but the passion to make music is still there so we'll make music until we die".

I mean they could do that, they'd probably just lose money doing it, unless one of them has a home studio sufficient enough to make proper records, that would probably help the bottom line.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 07:51:14 AM »
I mean they could do that, they'd probably just lose money doing it, unless one of them has a home studio sufficient enough to make proper records, that would probably help the bottom line.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if each one of them doesn't have some sort of recording studio in their home. I mean, I'd guess that going away, moving into a house or another big studio to write and/or record albums is more a factor of luxury, something that puts them into the optimal creative space. It certainly sounds a lot more ideal than recording parts separately from home and exchanging audio files, but I wouldn't be surprised if they at least each have a nice little setup for their own instrument at home, to allow them to produce good quality recordings, so that IF the time comes when they're not touring, they can easily make music from home with what they have.

But that kind of a setup probably wouldn't yield anything as inspired as we usually get from them, so hopefully they'll continue to record new music, and tour and thrive, well into their 70s, like so many of the old guard rock giants such as Dio, Sabbath, etc. Even if they have to shorten their set lists and play a bit slower, or something.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »

Tool?

Uh, ever heard of the Beatles? They stopped touring in 66 then released 5 more albums (including a couple of their best). But yeah DT wouldn’t make any money off it.

Offline adamack

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 11:43:43 AM »

Yeah for sure. I know they do well for themselves, but I suppose this would be a more viable option if DT had boatloads of cash like some mainstream bands have been able to accumulate.

Tool?

Nice, they won't be touring for their upcoming album you mean? Or did they stop touring after previous albums they've released?

I really wish it was more feasible too. From what I've heard of the recent tour, James is sounding amazing. Since he would be using his voice far less if they stopped touring, it makes me think he would have a bunch of album-only years left in him. And the other guys are performing just as well - if not better, than ever.

Tool?

Uh, ever heard of the Beatles? They stopped touring in 66 then released 5 more albums (including a couple of their best). But yeah DT wouldn’t make any money off it.

Good to know. I have never been a huge fan so I wasn't aware, but that is crazy that they did 5 more albums with no touring.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
Well, while they do "have to" tour to sustain a living, the other issue is that they really enjoy performing.  If that ever leaves any of them, then yeah, that member should maybe consider stopping.  But they enjoy performing their music for people, and they love seeing the enjoyment that fans get from the performances. 

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »
Well, while they do "have to" tour to sustain a living, the other issue is that they really enjoy performing.  If that ever leaves any of them, then yeah, that member should maybe consider stopping.  But they enjoy performing their music for people, and they love seeing the enjoyment that fans get from the performances.

And just the same, they also enjoy making new music, clearly. They're very prolific, so even if they're not as profitable with sheer record sales, I can't imagine they'll stop making new music either.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
Another thing that should be appreciated, for me, is the guys in the band themselves. Sure, we only see their public images but by all accounts they all seem to be very kind, intelligent, passionate about their craft, and all around nice guys. I mean, you should always separate the music from the artist, but I can't see myself posting all day on the boards dedicated to the music of someone that acts like a primadonna, skips towns to tour based on the horoscope, or can't tell a live bat from a rubber one. Behind the amazing music there are also people who are genuine and down to earth, and whose interviews are always interesting and allow us to realize their intelligence and that they're not dumb shmucks who happen to be good at playing an instrument. I mean, for the extent that you can know a famous person only by interviews, I actually admire them as persons, I have genuine respect for those five guys rather than "just" loving their music.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:49:27 PM by MirrorMask »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 12:35:25 PM »
I appreciate that I've had four opportunities now to get excited for new DT music, and they haven't disappointed at all. And they're producing incredible music at a very consistent rate. Fourteen albums in 30 years is a very impressive sequence. I know I've brought it up before, but it's worth noting that the gap between the releases of TA and D/T (3 years and 24 days) is the longest since their first two albums.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »
Another thing that should be appreciated, for me, is the guys in the band themselves. Sure, we only see their public images but by all accounts they all seem to be very kind, intelligent, passionate about their craft, and all around nice guys. I mean, you should always separate the music from the artist, but I can't see myself posting all day on the boards dedicated to the music of someone that acts like a primadonna, skips towns to tour based on the horoscope, or can't tell a live bat from a rubber one. Behind the amazing music there are also people who are genuine and down to earth, and whose interviews are always interesting and allow us to realize their intelligence and that they're not dumb shmucks who happen to be good at playing an instrument. I mean, for the extent that you can know a famous person only by interviews, I actually admire them as persons, I have genuine respect for those give guys rather than "just" loving their music.

100% agree with this  :tup   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 07:03:10 PM »

Honestly, I think they COULD pull that off and prosper if they focus in on streaming and social media as the primary method of getting the music out there. I don't think they would make quite as much money as the typical rock band business model (album - tour - repeat) or an all touring model (like most classic bands). They would probably need to supplement their income with lessons/videos/guest appearances, miscellaneous collaborations and side projects, or social media.

Arjen Anthony Lucassen (mastermind of Ayreon) does not tour usually and sticks to writing albums and he definitely hasn't been hurting, Kate Bush tours like once a millennia and she's a household name (I think she's toured twice. Total. And one was just Europe), Joni Mitchell rarely tours, EDM giant Burial (who's also released like one album) is reclusive to the point that no one knows his real name, Steely Dan doesn't tour that often, Michael Jackson rarely toured in the 90s and 00s, Barbra Streisand pretty much stopped touring after the 60s, The Beatles stopped live performances in 66 before they broke up, Jandek never tours, My Bloody Valentine didn't tour for 16 years, and Daniel Johnston doesn't tour. There's definitely some precedent for it!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 06:44:25 AM »
Another thing that should be appreciated, for me, is the guys in the band themselves. Sure, we only see their public images but by all accounts they all seem to be very kind, intelligent, passionate about their craft, and all around nice guys. I mean, you should always separate the music from the artist, but I can't see myself posting all day on the boards dedicated to the music of someone that acts like a primadonna, skips towns to tour based on the horoscope, or can't tell a live bat from a rubber one. Behind the amazing music there are also people who are genuine and down to earth, and whose interviews are always interesting and allow us to realize their intelligence and that they're not dumb shmucks who happen to be good at playing an instrument. I mean, for the extent that you can know a famous person only by interviews, I actually admire them as persons, I have genuine respect for those give guys rather than "just" loving their music.

100% agree with this  :tup
Yes, great post!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2019, 06:58:00 AM »

Bosk, you get that sense from Mangini as well? Asking because he often seems overwhelmed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2019, 07:08:11 AM »
Fantastic band. Obviously my favorite band of all time.

Can't wait to tell them so again in a couple of weeks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2019, 07:09:08 AM »
Last night James said he'd be singing Pull Me Under from a wheelchair in 30 years, so I don't think he's planning on hanging it up anytime soon.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »
Last night James said he'd be singing Pull Me Under from a wheelchair in 30 years, so I don't think he's planning on hanging it up anytime soon.

:lol he used this same joke in Dallas last year

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »

I think we all know that he'll just get a microphone stand that doubles as a fancy cane.