Author Topic: Everest  (Read 12472 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Everest
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »
Oh wow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
Damn  :-[
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2021, 12:13:20 PM »
This is not the ending we were hoping for.

Hope he made his climb.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2021, 12:15:56 PM »
Came here just to post the same thing (essentially).

Hopefully he got to climb Everest before this.    :-\

His last post was on April 03, 2019. Obituary says he passed away on May 9, 2019. Just a hair over a month after his last post where he said:

Did a week in Denver for altitude. numerous oxygen, physical tests leave in the morning. got delayed a day weather into Nepal.   feel good. few issues but im solid

It doesn't seem like a month would be enough time to get to Nepal and make the climb....especially since isn't it a solid 2 weeks at base camp before they can even try to ascent?

Nonetheless.....this is really sad news. I was truly hoping for a 'happy' resolution to this but it appears that won't be the case.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
Some of his posts mentioned the climb was from the 5th to the 20th. So if that is really him, doubt he made it to the top.  :(
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
Some of his posts mentioned the climb was from the 5th to the 20th. So if that is really him, doubt he made it to the top.  :(

With no mention of him in the official deaths on Everest that season.....I wonder if he even got out of country? His last post mentioned a 'few issues'?

I didn't know this guy from Adam but for some reason am very saddened by learning this. 52 is WAY too young.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »
did a quick google search. Is this him?

https://obits.nj.com/us/obituaries/starledger/name/mark-lamendola-obituary?pid=192876709
Probably. He had a kid named Aiden, found it mentioned in past Facebook post

oh shoot, I guess mystery is kind of solved but very sad.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2021, 12:33:17 PM »
Yeah this sucks. I see the first summit in 2019 was after his death and he isn't on the list of people to summit in 2019. Bummer all around.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2021, 12:54:03 PM »
Now curiosity is killing the cat; I want to know the cause of death, to know if it's related (or not) to the climb. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
Now curiosity is killing the cat; I want to know the cause of death, to know if it's related (or not) to the climb.

I searched through all posts on Facebook from his friends, didn't see anything listed.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »

I searched through all posts on Facebook from his friends, didn't see anything listed.

The obituary lists the funeral homes phone number. I wonder if they'd A) know  B) Be willing/able to tell a random stranger?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2021, 01:03:58 PM »

The obituary lists the funeral homes phone number. I wonder if they'd A) know  B) Be willing/able to tell a random stranger?

I'm sure there are layers and layers of laws against that, though a certain mortician/DTF mod would know better than I.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2021, 01:22:27 PM »
If he was following the standard itinerary, and of course he was, he'd have been well into the climb at the time of his passing. Days 17-50 are where you're well above base camp, and he'd have been 34 days into his expidition. Since he's not listed as an Everest fatality, it's safe to assume something went awry in Nepal but before the climb.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2021, 01:33:05 PM »
This is sad to hear.  :(
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »
Damn. He had a month to live for whatever reason, and he wanted to do something big and memorable..... that's sad.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2021, 02:02:46 PM »
Damn. He had a month to live for whatever reason, and he wanted to do something big and memorable..... that's sad.

Now that you worded it this way, maybe you're onto something.  Maybe he had a medical condition and knew his time was coming up and wanted to do this last big thing.  I guess we will never know.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2021, 04:50:51 PM »
Courtesy of RJ:

Guess this is the actual confirmation that Trooper was indeed Marc Lamendola. Damn... kid would've been 13 when he lost Trooper.   :'(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »
I did the math as well. That is awful.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2021, 09:00:24 PM »
Indeed. Good research guys, I guess we can have closure, small consolation though it may be.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2021, 06:49:43 AM »
Not that I navel gaze like this too often, but occassionally...   it's events like these that do make me appreciate what I have in terms of friends, family and community, and how ephemeral it really is.   I would like to think, I would HOPE, that if I pass in an untimely way like this, that those that care would take the effort like some of you did.   I'm proud to call (some of you, hahaha, I'm kidding) friends. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2021, 07:43:57 AM »
Wait, so this guy had some relationship to lady obscure?  She used to be a regular here, maybe she knows what actually happened?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2021, 08:08:44 AM »
Wait, so this guy had some relationship to lady obscure?  She used to be a regular here, maybe she knows what actually happened?

He was a writer for our webzine, and short lived at that. She's basically been off the grid for the last three or so years. She wouldn't know.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:14:02 AM by lonestar »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »

He was a writer for our webzine, and short lived at that. She's basically been off the grid for the last three or so years. She wouldn't know.

So Lady Obscure really is obscure at this point?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2021, 09:44:44 AM »

So Lady Obscure really is obscure at this point?

:icy:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2021, 10:05:45 AM »
well she sure is a Lady :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2021, 10:31:20 AM »
:obscuredbyclouds:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
Not that I navel gaze like this too often, but occassionally...   it's events like these that do make me appreciate what I have in terms of friends, family and community, and how ephemeral it really is.   I would like to think, I would HOPE, that if I pass in an untimely way like this, that those that care would take the effort like some of you did.   I'm proud to call (some of you, hahaha, I'm kidding) friends.

I already have two people tasked with informing this place of my untimely demise should it occur  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2021, 11:10:07 AM »
Has it occurred to anyone that Mark Lamendola (the guy from the obituary) might not be the same guy as Marc Lamendola (the guy from Facebook)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2021, 11:13:54 AM »
No.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2021, 11:20:00 AM »

For real though, I know tons of people that purposely misspell their names on social media. Pretty much every teacher I know does it to make it harder for their students to find them.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2021, 11:20:46 AM »
Has it occurred to anyone that Mark Lamendola (the guy from the obituary) might not be the same guy as Marc Lamendola (the guy from Facebook)?

In the obituary his name is also spelled Marc, and the same obituary is linked to FB posts surrounding his death. It's him

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2021, 11:35:22 AM »

I already have two people tasked with informing this place of my untimely demise should it occur  :lol

I've thought about that too.  Or something similar, like writing a letter and having it mail when/if I go.   But I'd be paranoid about updating that letter to the point I'd never seal the envelope!  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
I probably should do that as well, and make arrangements for a smooth transition in the event Nick has to assume the throne.  (he is second in line, by the way; Borlag is #1)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2021, 11:47:59 AM »

In the obituary his name is also spelled Marc, and the same obituary is linked to FB posts surrounding his death. It's him

Looking at the obituary.  The headlines say Mark, but the description says Marc.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »
Well this is very sad news. If anyone really want to take a leap, they could try to look up the next of kin listed in the obituary and reach out to see if they can gain some info. But that might be crossing a line...