Author Topic: Everest  (Read 12470 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Everest
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »
Has it occurred to anyone that Mark Lamendola (the guy from the obituary) might not be the same guy as Marc Lamendola (the guy from Facebook)?

In the obituary his name is also spelled Marc, and the same obituary is linked to FB posts surrounding his death. It's him

Looking at the obituary.  The headlines say Mark, but the description says Marc.

As someone also named Marc, id be rolling over in my grave if I knew my obituary called me Mark   :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2021, 11:58:58 AM »
Not that I navel gaze like this too often, but occassionally...   it's events like these that do make me appreciate what I have in terms of friends, family and community, and how ephemeral it really is.   I would like to think, I would HOPE, that if I pass in an untimely way like this, that those that care would take the effort like some of you did.   I'm proud to call (some of you, hahaha, I'm kidding) friends.

I already have two people tasked with informing this place of my untimely demise should it occur  :lol

Scotty and I are pretty close, so I’m sure he would make a post if anything ever happened to me.  But ya, I sometimes muse over my online presence and sometimes worry about people not being contacted in the event of my death.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2021, 12:08:04 PM »
Not that I navel gaze like this too often, but occassionally...   it's events like these that do make me appreciate what I have in terms of friends, family and community, and how ephemeral it really is.   I would like to think, I would HOPE, that if I pass in an untimely way like this, that those that care would take the effort like some of you did.   I'm proud to call (some of you, hahaha, I'm kidding) friends.

I already have two people tasked with informing this place of my untimely demise should it occur  :lol

Is one the same dude that told us about you falling off the balcony with the 'Chino' s dumbass'thread?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2021, 12:10:43 PM »

Is one the same dude that told us about you falling off the balcony with the 'Chino' s dumbass'thread?

Lmao. No. But knowing him, he'd take it upon himself to do so.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2021, 12:11:14 PM »
I probably should do that as well, and make arrangements for a smooth transition in the event Nick has to assume the throne.  (he is second in line, by the way; Borlag is #1)

No way, fuck that. You'll be plugged to a machine into infinity.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »
As someone also named Marc, id be rolling over in my grave if I knew my obituary called me Mark   :lol

That'd be Kramx3 style!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »
 :lol

but seriously, it's one of the few pet peeves I have.  Doesn't bother me when it's someone I don't know, but it PISSES me off when I'm using work chat with someone I regularly work with and it clearly says my name Marc in the chat and the person still calls me Mark. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2021, 02:17:30 PM »
How do you feel about Marque?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2021, 02:23:40 PM »

:lol I'd have to see it to have feelings and well, I just laughed a little on the first time seeing it

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2021, 02:26:57 PM »
If he was following the standard itinerary, and of course he was, he'd have been well into the climb at the time of his passing. Days 17-50 are where you're well above base camp, and he'd have been 34 days into his expidition. Since he's not listed as an Everest fatality, it's safe to assume something went awry in Nepal but before the climb.

Yep... likely no way he had the time to acclimatize for a summit prior to the assumed date of his passing.  Assuming that the annual death-count on Everest would only include climbers at Base Camp or beyond, he may have had acclimatizing issues on the trek in from Nepal/Kat and had to deal with Cerebral Edema (HACE) and it's side effects; there are a few mini hospitals along the trek for just such emergencies and I'd bet that he may not have made it to base camp (meaning he wouldn't be in the official numbers that we could find).

A shame either way... I hate to hear that he's passed, but if he did pass on the way in, he passed doing something he loved and likely without pain.  There are worse ways to meet God... those mountains would be one of the best I would think, especially for a seasoned mountaineer (sounds like he was).  RIP
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2021, 02:51:19 PM »

but seriously, it's one of the few pet peeves I have.  Doesn't bother me when it's someone I don't know, but it PISSES me off when I'm using work chat with someone I regularly work with and it clearly says my name Marc in the chat and the person still calls me Mark.

Haha, I hear you.  All my work stuff - email, phone book, HR system - says "William", but I go by "Bill".  NO ONE - not even my mom when she's angry - calls me William.  When I work with someone I will usually let slip "you can call me Bill".   There's a group in one of our manufacturing sites - two guys - that INSIST on calling me "William".  It's a running joke at this time.  I'm not pissed, or anything, but I do sort of look askance at that.  To me it's just... not rude, but oblivious.  I take great care to get people's names right out of respect.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »

Haha, I hear you.  All my work stuff - email, phone book, HR system - says "William", but I go by "Bill".  NO ONE - not even my mom when she's angry - calls me William.  When I work with someone I will usually let slip "you can call me Bill".   There's a group in one of our manufacturing sites - two guys - that INSIST on calling me "William".  It's a running joke at this time.  I'm not pissed, or anything, but I do sort of look askance at that.  To me it's just... not rude, but oblivious.  I take great care to get people's names right out of respect.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2021, 02:56:44 PM »
So what do you do to make sure that no one calls you Will?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2021, 02:58:36 PM »
That's odd.  I have it on good authority that big, bad Bill really is sweet William now. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2021, 03:14:15 PM »
That's odd.  I have it on good authority that big, bad Bill really is sweet William now.

Nice!  :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »

My problem is when people immediately jump the short form of my name without asking, or even feeling me out about it.

Hi, El Barto, good to meet you. [extends hand]
Hi, Bart. It's a pleasure.

While I do have a preference, I'm not a hardass about Barto or anything. I'll normally tell people Bart is fine. It just seems presumptuous to automatically jump to the informal. If somebody introduces themselves as a Richard or a Matthew I'm not going to just start calling them Rich/k or Matt right off the bat.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2021, 03:22:37 PM »
While I do have a preference, I'm not a hardass about Barto or anything. I'll normally tell people Bart is fine. It just seems presumptuous to automatically jump to the informal. If somebody introduces themselves as a Richard or a Matthew I'm not going to just start calling them Rich/k or Matt right off the bat.

Honestly, I go right to Dick.

You are on a role today  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2021, 03:26:43 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
My problem is when people immediately jump the short form of my name without asking, or even feeling me out about it.

Do you actually prefer Barto?

I agree about introductions.

I hate when people spell my name Cra.... It's O like the Ozzy song dammit!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »

I completely get what you are saying.  But it is also pretty rare for people to use...the longer version of your name.  I think it's a normal assumption to go right to the short version, isn't it?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »

Do you actually prefer Barto?
That' EL Barto to you, Timothy!

Truth be told, it depends on the person. But often times yes. I'm fine with people calling me either, though, and I'm happy to let them choose their preference.  Unless. . .

I completely get what you are saying.  But it is also pretty rare for people to use...the longer version of your name.  I think it's a normal assumption to go right to the short version, isn't it?
Some people are certainly going to move towards that; I get it. The issue is when I introduce myself with one name and the very next words out of their mouth is a different one. It's not the abbreviating of my name, per se, but rather the disregard for what I just told you. If that makes sense. There's a presumption there that I didn't mean what I said. Or at least an inference that we're close enough for it to not matter. A few sentences later and I don't care, although an "is Bart OK?" is certainly a nice, yet simple gesture.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2021, 04:09:44 PM »
The only person that calls me Timothy is the receptionist at my Doctor's office. :lol

Although when I sign a check I sign Timothy, as that's what is printed at the top. I actually use it a lot when filling things out.

A lot of people at work call me Timmy. Not that I mind, because I don't, but I would never call another 53 y/o man Timmy. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »
Some people are certainly going to move towards that; I get it. The issue is when I introduce myself with one name and the very next words out of their mouth is a different one. It's not the abbreviating of my name, per se, but rather the disregard for what I just told you. If that makes sense. There's a presumption there that I didn't mean what I said. Or at least an inference that we're close enough for it to not matter. A few sentences later and I don't care, although an "is Bart OK?" is certainly a nice, yet simple gesture.

Gotcha.  :tup  I think I initially missed that part. 

...and I'm feeling a bit defensive because I'm pretty sure I jumped right to the short version when I P.M.'d you about something years ago.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2021, 05:12:20 PM »
On a slightly related note, that post from Lady Obscure . . . Frozen came out EIGHT years ago already???? Man time flies when you’re old.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2021, 08:37:08 PM »

A lot of people at work call me Timmy. Not that I mind, because I don't, but I would never call another 53 y/o man Timmy. :lol

Do they say it in the South Park "Timmah" voice? I have a friend Tim and someone always ends up saying it like that.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »

:lol I'd have to see it to have feelings and well, I just laughed a little on the first time seeing it

I’m a Mark as well, and when I was about 10 I wanted to start spelling my name Marq because I thought it looked cool.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »
I’m fine with any iteration of Joseph (that’s my actual name btw since I don’t think I’ve ever said it on these forums before) except for Joey, as that’s what my stepmom calls my dad and hearing it makes me sick.

I prefer Joe over Joseph though.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2021, 01:28:39 AM »
Well, that is really sad. RIP. I hoped this wouldn't turn out like it did.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2021, 07:02:20 AM »
Well this is a sad ending to what started as such an exciting thread. Now I'm curious to know if any other members along the way have passed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2021, 08:05:56 AM »

Honestly, I go right to Dick.

That got a full on laugh out loud.   :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2021, 08:06:34 AM »

You're my witness:  I actually asked you point blank:  Is Bart ok?   :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »

Well, sonofa ... I think I went straight to Bart.  I think my mind was coming from the train of thought that Bosk was spelling out.  I'm usually quite good at this.  I used to have an employee who's LAST name was Matthew, and one time a customer referred to him as "Matt" (because our email nomenclature was lastname, firstname)... and I thought "shit, you don't even know him enough to know that Matthew is his last name, and you went straight ahead to shortening it?!?!?"  I always look to see how people refer to themselves in their email signatures before referring to them by any short-hand.

@ Barto ... sorry bro.  :blush
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2021, 08:21:17 AM »

Well, sonofa ... I think I went straight to Bart.  I think my mind was coming from the train of thought that Bosk was spelling out.  I'm usually quite good at this.  I used to have an employee who's LAST name was Matthew, and one time a customer referred to him as "Matt" (because our email nomenclature was lastname, firstname)... and I thought "shit, you don't even know him enough to know that Matthew is his last name, and you went straight ahead to shortening it?!?!?"  I always look to see how people refer to themselves in their email signatures before referring to them by any short-hand.

For the record Chadford, I didn't say that to be a hero, because I'm not, but only to say that it's something that DOES register with me.   I don't know how or why - I dont' think it has to do with identity politics, but who knows - I do pay attention to that stuff.  I actually had a meeting with someone today; I got her resume and it was "C. Blofeld" and I was told her name was "Karen, with a C".  So I scheduled the meeting and said "Hi Caren, I hope this time works for you" and it turns out her name is "Caryn".  Although I was nominally in the power spot (she's a job candidate) I made sure I acknowledged my mistake.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2021, 08:49:02 AM »
Did she bring a cat to the interview? And who writes their name on a resume with their first initial?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2021, 09:03:17 AM »

Non-issue. It honestly wouldn't have even registered with me. Like I said, it's the

Hi, I'm El Barto
Good to meet you, Bart

thing that bugs me. I meet with plenty of sales reps and vendors and it happens sometimes.
E.F. Benson