Author Topic: Question for people in San Francisco Bay Area  (Read 1408 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Question for people in San Francisco Bay Area
« on: January 16, 2022, 12:59:58 PM »
Howdy!

So, as anyone who follows me on FB or Instagram saw recently, I got engaged to a fantastic human being . -hold for applause-

Thank you, thank you. You're very kind.

So, I know a few of you live in the Bay Area. I would normally just message you personally, but there might be people who live there I didn't know about, so I'm making a thread. Despite living in New York, the wedding is being planned for the SF area. Not necessarily IN SF because of the money, but that general area. My fiancée knows it decently well, but I really don't. We are currently looking for possible wedding venues. 50-75 people tops. Preferably out doors.

If no one knows anything, cool. But if any of you happen to know of anything that might be helpful, I would be extremely grateful. Not grateful enough to agree with Stadler, but very grateful nonetheless.

Thanks!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

Re: Question for people in San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 01:07:32 PM »
Congrats! Amazing stuff, welcome to the ball and chain club!

Sorry can't help with the venues as I've only been to San Fran as a somewhat frustrated tourist denied the beautiful Mir Woods due to a government shutdown at the time.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 02:31:03 PM »
Ok, so this may sound off, but it was a brilliant choice. My friend got married at the Oakland zoo. They have a venue with an unparalleled view of the bay, a kitchen attached, and plenty of inside room for the reception as well as outside for the wedding itself. I can get you more details and general pricing if you want.

A few questions... Do you want it all inclusive with catering and bar? If the ceremony is outside do you want food outside as well? Full dinner or just appetizers? Full bar or just beer and wine? Do you need my address for the invitations? Just a few things to think about when making decisions.

There are tons of great, unique venues in the area on top of the zoo... The Oakland cemetery, the pulgas water temple,l are two that stand out for me.

Feel free to hit me up here, on FB, or just text or call me, I'm pretty sure you got my number.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:06:35 PM »
My brother just got married 18 months ago and had to reschedule a Disneyland wedding due to the pandemic, so they settled on the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose (about 45-60 minutes south of SF and Oakland).

The site is a unique landmark with a rich history, and it was a beautiful outdoor event. Despite not allowing indoor dining (I don't think that's changed since then) they were able to get lots of time indoors for photos after the ceremony.

The Hotel Valencia is within walking distance (they walked over and received 3 standing ovations from outdoor diners on the way).

https://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/winchester-estate-weddings/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 11:06:58 PM »
My brother just got married 18 months ago

???  How am I just finding out about this now?  >:(

Anyhow, to answer Adami's question:
-I will second what RJ said about the Oakland Zoo.  It is in the Oakland hills, and the views are pretty spectacular, as noted.
-My niece got married not far from there at the Berkeley Arboretum.  Incredible venue, also in the hills just north of Oakland.  Probably pricey, but I don't know for sure.  I know when we were there, they were cranking through a few weddings that same day.
-My wife and I got married at a beautiful venue called the Harbor Bay Club in Alameda (technically, it's Bay Farm Island, but it is listed as an Alameda address).  Right on the water on an island next to Oakland with views of SF and the Golden Gate across the water.  Was budget friendly too. 

Let me know if you want to discuss any of those or bounce other ideas around.  I would be happy to talk.

Oh, and congrats, Adami!  Truly wonderful news!  I wish you and she a lifetime of happiness. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:13:47 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 11:27:19 PM »
A friend of mine suggested a venue, the Brazilian Room in Tilden Park.. It's in the Berkeley hills and there's no shortage of amazing scenery there

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 11:35:01 PM »
I don't know that specific venue, but Tilden Park is fantastic.  Not far from the other venues mentioned (especially the Berkeley Arboretum), so you can't go wrong. 

There might be places in the Hayward Hills, a few miles south of the locations already suggested, that will also have gorgeous views of the Bay and might be cheaper.  https://www.theknot.com/marketplace/wedding-reception-venues-hayward-ca

Let me know if you are willing to go a bit south of the Bay Area.  There are lots of nice places all along the coast, from Halfmoon Bay, down to Santa Cruz, and Monterey.  Not sure if the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk or Monterey Bay Aquarium do weddings, but I would bet they do, it would be fun, and the views would be amazing.  Also, check Seascape Resort in Aptos (little town near Santa Cruz).  They have an amazing outdoor wedding setup up on the cliffs overlooking the ocean.  Years ago, I was planning on maybe booking it as a surprise for my wife to renew our vows for our tenth anniversary.  Might still do it someday.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 07:39:02 AM »
Is everything north of the city too pricey?  In a previous life, I spent a fair amount of time in the Bay Area (my old company had an office in Walnut Creek, and we did work at the former Mare Island facility), and I found that part of the area north, over the bridges (Golden Gate and Bay Bridge) to be, at times, breath-takingly beautiful (and that might be what Lonestar is capturing by suggesting the Berkeley area).  I imagine the heart of Napa has to be fairly pricey, but it can't ALL be prohibitively expensive.   I know I stayed at a hotel up in that Napa area and it wasn't that crazy compared to New York.

As best man*, I'll keep you all informed as to what the plan is leading up to the big day.   

* Adami disagrees with that classification at this point, but I have time to win him over.   :)  :) :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 09:49:59 AM »
Yeah, I was going to suggest maybe something in the wine country (Napa/Sonoma).  But (a) it will be pricey, (b) I don't know specifics because I haven't spent a lot of time there, and (c) there has been a LOT of wildfire damage in recent years.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 11:35:00 AM »
Yeah, the wildfire is a good point, they took it really hard up there. Also, I'd imagine all venues in that area, especially wineries, restaurants, and resorts will be all inclusive package deals which would skyrocket the price. I can check around, cause it is a stunning area. I have a good friend whose worked in that area for ages, I'll throw here a message and see if she knows of anything.

What bosk said about the coast may be a good idea too, might be able to find some hidden gems.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 02:16:46 PM »
My brother just got married 18 months ago

???  How am I just finding out about this now?  >:( 

Apologies on their behalf, it was a small (<20) event, and I don't think they sent out any announcements. 

To the topic, any of the ones mentioned so far are also great options.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 01:29:15 PM »
I really appreciate all the help and well wishes thus far!

We definitely are looking into and contacting some of the places listed here. And I should add, after I read about them here. So thanks!

I'll keep y'all updated!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 02:37:26 PM »
:tup  I know I already gave a plug for Seascape, but I'll just add this:  It would be a great area to honeymoon in as well.  Really gorgeous coastal area that is a lot slower paced than the Bay Area proper, even though you are just a couple of hours from the Bay.  Aptos, Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Carmel all have lots to see and do, but are still small-townish.  Just to the south is Big Sur if you want coastal wilderness.  And just to the north is the Bay Area.  Driving either direction on highway 1 is some of the best scenery California has to offer. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 02:52:55 PM »
This has nothing to do with Adami, but is Dimaggio's down by Fisherman's Wharf still open?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 03:01:06 PM »
:tup  I know I already gave a plug for Seascape, but I'll just add this:  It would be a great area to honeymoon in as well.  Really gorgeous coastal area that is a lot slower paced than the Bay Area proper, even though you are just a couple of hours from the Bay.  Aptos, Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Carmel all have lots to see and do, but are still small-townish.  Just to the south is Big Sur if you want coastal wilderness.  And just to the north is the Bay Area.  Driving either direction on highway 1 is some of the best scenery California has to offer.

So much this. My last gf and I used to do day and weekend trips all the time up and down H1, always a stunning venture. Our favorite was Point Arena, and Wharfmaster Inn.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 03:31:03 PM »

Both SC and Monterey are excellent, I think the weather is a tad more reliable near to the former though.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman