Author Topic: RIP Bob Saget  (Read 2933 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: RIP Bob Saget
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2022, 12:41:31 PM »
I was just thinking about Bob Saget today and what a completely “bipolar” career the guy had.

I defy you to name any other comedian who ended up being (almost) equally high profile career as both a “family show” and an over the top raunch guy. It’s unheard of. It would be like if Andrew Dice Clay had a mega-hit Nickelodeon show that was just as popular as The Diceman character.

Not quite the same, but similar, George Carlin was the narrator on the children show Thomas the Tank Engine

While he did have some “blue” material, I don’t consider him to be nearly on the same level as Dice, or Sam Kinison…etc etc

Bob Saget was considered to be in that league AFAIK.
Yeah, I think he's the captain of that particular ship.

He's just better known for that ridiculous TV show than for his standup.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2022, 02:05:27 PM »
I hated Full House. It just seemed so generic to me. I also thought the 'comedy' on Funniest Home Video was absolutely cringe-worthy. For some time I had no real respect for Bob. Then I found out that he was the bipolar comedian, if you will.

I still hate those shows, but Bob was the real deal and a true nice guy. Watch Kimmel's tribute to him. He just fell apart. Tells you something.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2022, 02:21:01 PM »
I hated Full House. It just seemed so generic to me. I also thought the 'comedy' on Funniest Home Video was absolutely cringe-worthy. For some time I had no real respect for Bob. Then I found out that he was the bipolar comedian, if you will.

I still hate those shows, but Bob was the real deal and a true nice guy. Watch Kimmel's tribute to him. He just fell apart. Tells you something.

I said that to my wife yesterday; I'm sort of mildly surprised how well liked he was in the community.  It seems like he was one of those guys for whom to know him was to love him.  I dig that.

I have to say, I have a soft spot for AFHV.   I'm Team Bergeron, but there are few shows I could sit down with my kids and just LAUGH.  It's not high brow, and the interludes are cringy, sometimes, but there's something hilarious about the standard videos of cats falling off tables, kids hitting wiffle balls into parents nuts, and young children smeared with all sorts of kitchen and playroom goods.  :)

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2022, 04:41:04 PM »
It's not mark of quality to Full House or AFHV,  of course they were both terrible shows but to a lot of people of a certain generation (millenials who are in their late 30s early 40s now btw) remembering Bob Saget they saw those as kids when you just watched whatever was on.  Then in the community of comedians he wasn't known for his tv shows but for his very vulgar style and being the nicest person, from all accounts.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2022, 04:59:45 PM »
I used to watch Full House a lot as a kid, it was a go to TV show for the family growing up.  Same with AFV back then.  I used to enjoy both, but I think neither stood the test of time.  Which is OK.

I said that to my wife yesterday; I'm sort of mildly surprised how well liked he was in the community.  It seems like he was one of those guys for whom to know him was to love him.  I dig that.

I have to say, I have a soft spot for AFHV.   I'm Team Bergeron, but there are few shows I could sit down with my kids and just LAUGH.  It's not high brow, and the interludes are cringy, sometimes, but there's something hilarious about the standard videos of cats falling off tables, kids hitting wiffle balls into parents nuts, and young children smeared with all sorts of kitchen and playroom goods.  :)

I followed Bob on twitter, not because I was a big fan of his or anything, he just came across as a solid dude and felt legit.  There's a clip of him, I think from being on Howard Stern, floating around saying how it sucks all the good people die young. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2022, 05:01:38 PM »
It feels empty to have both Norm and Bob gone.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls