Author Topic: Everest  (Read 12440 times)

Offline The Trooper

Everest
« on: March 26, 2019, 02:08:48 PM »
Spent the past few days with my sons in Florida. Leave for Denver tomorrow to do some altitude and small climbs and pick up last of my gear.

Spending 5 days here doing some small climbs and cardio. Get checked by  docs. Lots of exams to even get started.
Leave Denver on April 2nd. Fly in and spend a few days at higher atmosphere. Takes a few days(10) to hit first camp way below the MOUNTAIN. Then the fun starts for a month. Before climb.Small climbs up Everest and getting acclimated to the oxygen/atmosphere. Don't get any cell there, just satellite phone.

Ill take a pick in Nepal if I can

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Everest
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »
Best of Luck!!!  :tup   What an exciting thing to do!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
That's freakin awesome, best of luck to you!  :)

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:29:32 PM »
The highest I've ever been was 12,000 feet, that was enough for me. Even taking a leak leaves you out of breath.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 05:35:20 PM »
The highest I've ever been was 12,000 feet, that was enough for me. Even taking a leak leaves you out of breath.
I've been over 14k. Didn't bother me, but I wasn't trying to run marathons, either. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online krands85

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:51:55 PM »
Same here. I was starting to feel a little funny when I went up Teide in Tenerife which is around that height.

Good luck!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »
So cool, good luck and be safe.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 02:08:11 AM »
Wow! Best of luck for what is one of the ultimate challenges, climbing on top of the world!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 07:23:45 AM »
Amazing! Best of luck dude. That's one of the items in my bucket list that I'm not sure I will be able to cross out. Post some picks when you come back  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »
im not good at this, I usually keep to myself. keep my life private for numerous reasons (military). this is rare for me. I hope I don't bore anyone, actually in the next few days I start my journey.

this is a long process, mental tests, oxygen tests ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 06:47:30 PM »
I,m a dork. LOL Wall Street broker in the late 80s turned...............................
Great quote from the movie wall st. ' life comes down to a few moments, this is one of them

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 09:19:23 PM »
I'm absolutely fascinated by it. Always had a passion for the mountains, though it's a discipline far beyond my financial means. I stick mostly to more average trails, though I've set a goal to climb Mt Whitney here in Cali. But to climb the big boys is a dangerous and intense venture, I've watched more that my share of documentaries on it, especially Meru, holy fuck were those guys insane. Share all you want bro.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 07:22:47 PM »
Godspeed on your journey. What an amazing opportunity. Be safe.

I summitted Mt Rainier (14,410;) in college. Our group climbed with RMI. We were led by Lou Whittaker, who also led the first American ascent of the North Col of Mount Everest. He and his twin brother climbed Rainier hundreds of times. In fact, climbers all over the world used to climb Rainier in the winter (not advised), because snow/weather conditions were similair to the climb on Everest, and they trained by climbing Rainier then. Though not half as tall, it's apparently brutal in winter. Got our pic and certificate. Still a highlight experience for me. Now, I can't scale stairs without being winded.

Enjoy the ride!  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »
Did a week in Denver for altitude. numerous oxygen, physical tests leave in the morning. got delayed a day weather into Nepal.   feel good. few issues but im solid

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
I really hope we get to see some pics

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 11:08:22 AM »
Following and
I really hope we get to see some pics

Quite impressive quest to even embark upon, let alone complete.  No matter what happens from here, congrats on being part of a very small, elite group of beings.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
The climbing season is under way, I'd gather he's at some stage of the journey.at this point, hopefully past the ice falls though, that shit is scary as fuck.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 08:10:24 PM »

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2019, 12:14:25 AM »
Hopefully The Trooper is OK.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/latest-death-marks-10th-reported-mount-everest-amid/story?id=63274498

The article says the guy was British and The Trooper’s profile says he’s from New Jersey so we at least know he’s not the subject of this article. Hopefully everything’s ok.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 07:37:30 AM »
Another guy sadly passed away, Don Cash from Utah. Not New Jersey. Fingers crossed for The Trooper and everybody else on top of the mountain!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 07:42:01 AM »
I was just watching a news report on the congestion at Everest, crazy how many people are waiting to summit

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 12:07:32 AM »
No news about him?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 11:14:52 AM »
I hope he's OK and made it through... this year was a tough year.  Honestly, the past several years have been tough years.

Having been obsessed with Everest most of my life, I see a time coming when it's not possible to climb with any measure of "safety planning", not because of acclimatization or the growth of the mountain in the death zone, but because the human factor cannot be judged with any measure of surety.  The barriers to attempting the Everest Summit are very, very low and traffic is at an all time high; those two factors don't mix well in the vertical world.  Add to that the fact that outfitters with less than ideal experience are popping up like weeds and lowering the monetary barrier even further, and I think we'll see climbing season overcrowding as the norm which will lead to more deaths... both Sherpa and Climber.

My opinion is torn because I understand that the Sherpa people (and Nepal itself to a great extent) build their economy on the western climbing communities and no climber or outfitter could come close to success without the Sherpa; however, the Nepalese Government should likely limit climbing permits to try control the flow of actual climbers and outfitters.

I have a goal to trek to Base Camp within the next 5-7 years or perhaps attach myself to a clean-up mission on the lower slopes; but an actual climb is a turn-off for me at this point based on what's happened in the past 10 years or so on and around the mountain.  Maybe I'm alone in that view...

I'm sure Trooper can attest to what we've all seen... I'd like to know that he's OK.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 11:40:40 AM »
Limiting the amount of licenses they hand out each year would be the ideal thing to do, however since Nepal lives off of the Everest I don't see that happening any time soon. And in case they did that, they prices would become so high that not many people would be able to do it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 03:47:55 AM »
It's a sad state of things however. To think that the tallest mountain of the world, one that should be consider one of the "holy places" of our planet (not in a religious sense, more of a "wow" factor, a deep understanding of being in an amazing place), is littered with waste and corpses of dead alpinists, while the alive wait in line to climb just like people wait in line to enter a crowded beach, is a bit disheartening.

Maximum respect for all the climbers of the world, and their passion to reach the peaks of the mountains, but knowing what Everest is now leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 07:21:38 AM »
Uhh did The Trooper make it back? Quite a few deaths this year, well publicized.  One person from Colorado, although his profile says NJ, he did also say he was going to be in Colorado. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 07:30:04 AM »
I don't know how comprehensive the list is, but there is a Wiki page about people died on Mount Everest, updated to this year - Trooper's profile says he's 52 years old and none of the reported american victims were 52. Fingers crossed.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
I would even love to climb Mt Ranier. I have a heart condition since my early twenties that won t allow me to do that. Vigorous exercise really triggers my arrhythmias which makes it hard for me to even stay in shape..
I hope you have a great time and be careful. Know the elements and your limits.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:04:57 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2019, 04:15:30 AM »
From time to time I find myself rereading about the discovery of Everest, the first part of the entry on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Everest

It's always fascinating to look back when the world was "new" and there was still something to discover, in this case finding out which was the tallest mountain on the planet. Read the "Early surveys" portion, it's a good read about the early surveys, the difficulties of travelling in a harsh and hostile (both naturally and politically) territory, spotting a mountian and wondering if that could be it, a taller one than the supposedly highest peak...

I think it's worthy material of a movie, maybe it's not terribly exciting and action driven to follow a bunch of guys measuring mountains, but it's a highly fascinating subject.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
Trooper? Anyone heard from him outside of DTF? Was he taking an extended travel after the climb?

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2019, 07:33:16 PM »
Any update here?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »
It's been (8) Months since Trooper Posted  :(    I'm legit concerned. I just read another article today on how this was the deadliest season yet. Does anyone know him outside of DTF? Or Bosk...do you have any other way of contacting him through info. he might have used to sign up?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
It's been (8) Months since Trooper Posted  :(    I'm legit concerned. I just read another article today on how this was the deadliest season yet. Does anyone know him outside of DTF? Or Bosk...do you have any other way of contacting him through info. he might have used to sign up?

As said earlier the list of people died this year is public and you can find it even on Wikipedia, none of the americans deceased match his age or location. Let's hope he just forgot about this place.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »
I just looked at that list and it goes til May. I dunno when he did it or how long he takes, but if he was meant to be finished by the end of May, he'd be on that list.
fanticide.bandcamp.com