Author Topic: Public service announcement for those attending shows this tour: BRING EAR PLUGS  (Read 8849 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
From another thread:

I have no idea if the volume issue was more on DT's team, or on the Wiltern.  But let others attending stops on this tour be forewarned... if this wasn't a one-off, you may really need to protect yourself and be prepared for some insane sound levels.

Yeah, you know, I didn't find the SF show to be quite as loud as what you guys are describing (it definitely was loud, but definitely not the loudest show I have seen).  But both JP and MM asked me if I brought earplugs before the show started, which they have not done before.  So apparently, there is a problem.  Sorry it dampened your enjoyment of the show.

Thankfully, I was wearing ear plugs, as I almost always do (unless I forget them).  But this is apparently not an isolated issue, and even the band asked me if I had some.  So please protect yourself and enjoy the show to the utmost.  If you find yourself there and realize you forgot to bring some, you can usually buy them inside the venue, or at least wad up a bit of toilet tissue and stick in your ears.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

I really don't know why bands want to blast the mains up to insulting levels. I like it loud an powerful, but not deafening.  A band like DT has too many dynamics in their music for that. 
When I saw The Neal Morse Band in Seattle, same thing. The first set was ridiculously loud then got better later.
 Dream Theater should really address issues like this with the sound guy.  I mean, it's not that hard to go to the volume for the mains and back it off a few decibels.  :\
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

I really don't know why bands want to blast the mains up to insulting levels. I like it loud an powerful, but not deafening.  A band like DT has alot of dynamics in their music. 

Shout it out, shout it out.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Dream Theater should really address issues like this with the sound guy.  I mean, it's not that hard to go to the volume for the mains and back it off a few decibels.  :\

Well, I think it actually IS hard.  Dialing in the sound and all the levels is a complicated process.  There's more to it than just turning the main up or down.  If it were that easy, you wouldn't see such a longstanding problem happening to so many bands.  This isn't new by any means, and it isn't limited to DT.  I remember hearing similar things about bands in the '80s.  I can't tell you why it is more complicated than what you say.  But I'm pretty confident that it just is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
I’m curious how loud they are compared to a typical Yngwie concert, which from what I remember was completely unbearable.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
I have a dozen right here designated for the shows :D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Last night in SF was significantly loud, for sure. But its been that way for most DT shows I've been to since the mid-90s. The one thing I did notice (and while I had earplugs in, they are designed to let the highs in so I can hear the solos) is that James' softer voice seemed buried a bit because of the volume of the instruments. I hope as the tour moves along, they find a way to raise his volume during those moments. I am not a professional sound engineer obviously, but I would think they would be able to program in when James' level should be a bit higher, so we can hear those softer vocals. But either way, the show smoked. Just bring those earplugs folks! And headphones for the younger ones!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Architeuthis

Well, I think it actually IS hard.  Dialing in the sound and all the levels is a complicated process.  There's more to it than just turning the main up or down.  If it were that easy, you wouldn't see such a longstanding problem happening to so many bands.  This isn't new by any means, and it isn't limited to DT.  I remember hearing similar things about bands in the '80s.  I can't tell you why it is more complicated than what you say.  But I'm pretty confident that it just is.
Once you get the mix dialed in then it easy to adjust the level of the mains without losing the mix. Left and right on the soundboard consists of two faders, on some boards just one.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

I wear ear plugs at ANY concert. Open door festivals. Big arenas. Small intimate concerts. I never, ever leave the house for any kind of concerts without earplugs. I like to leave the concert without a ringing in my ears.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Volante99

I’m actually a bit excited they’re cranking it up a bit. Seems like the metal shows I’ve been to lately have been way too quiet. I was able to have a conversation with a person next to me with my regular speaking voice at the last Megadeth concert I went to. This should NOT be possible. Thought DT were a tad too quiet in 2014. TA was about right.

Anyway, I like it loud. It should hurt just a bit, and I want to feel the kick drum in my chest.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I’m actually a bit excited they’re cranking it up a bit. Seems like the metal shows I’ve been to lately have been way too quiet. I was able to have a conversation with a person next to me with my regular speaking voice at the last Megadeth concert I went to. This should NOT be possible. Thought DT were a tad too quiet in 2014. TA was about right.

Anyway, I like it loud. It should hurt just a bit, and I want to feel the kick drum in my chest.

When I went to see them in 2016, I felt like their TA concert was more quiet than their usual show. I mean, it was still loud, it drowned out the crowd noise, but I felt like the tour prior, and the tour after, they were louder. The Astonishing show also had the best quality I've heard from them, in terms of how clear everything sounded, and how good the live mix was.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Architeuthis

Agreed. The Astonishing live had a perfect balance on the mix and volume levels. :tup

Online geeeemo

Agreed. The Astonishing live had a perfect balance on the mix and volume levels. :tup
yes!

Offline krands85

I wear ear plugs at ANY concert. Open door festivals. Big arenas. Small intimate concerts. I never, ever leave the house for any kind of concerts without earplugs. I like to leave the concert without a ringing in my ears.
So much this, I'd advise everyone to wear earplugs at any gig - certainly rock and metal. It makes for a far more enjoyable experience both during and after the show and protects your damn hearing! Try and use a decent pair too, not just the cheap foam ones you get - you can get pretty good ones that aren't that expensive at all.

I don't think I've ever been to a gig that I didn't think was too loud, it has always puzzled me. But at least the earplugs make things more tolerable!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online Anguyen92

I don't think everyone wants to go to a concert and have that feeling of being "hurt" even a little bit.  I mean for the people that likes being blasted that much, more power to you, but I would argue that there's just that many people that may feel otherwise.

For me, I was all the way in the far back, about a couple of yards in front of the sound board.  I say that the volume really wasn't piercing at all and the volume seems pretty similar in comparison to any concerts I've been to this year.  Although, even though JLB sounded really good, I did find it hard at times to find his vocals in the mix amidst of everything that was going on.

Offline cosmicwxdude

My ears ring pretty badly already but I have grown used to it and can hear pretty well overall. But the real high end for me is pretty much gone. I am in 10th row center so will heed your warning. I was already planning on it. I usually do not wear ear plugs at DT but being so front and center this time I will.   :metal

Offline PMA

I found it to be loud too but not overly so and I agree that using earplugs that can lower dB level without killing the mids and highs are good to use.  I had some but chose not to use them.  I also agree that The Astonishing live was the most balanced I've ever heard them.

Offline Volante99

I don't think everyone wants to go to a concert and have that feeling of being "hurt" even a little bit.  I mean for the people that likes being blasted that much, more power to you, but I would argue that there's just that many people that may feel otherwise.

For me, I was all the way in the far back, about a couple of yards in front of the sound board.  I say that the volume really wasn't piercing at all and the volume seems pretty similar in comparison to any concerts I've been to this year.  Although, even though JLB sounded really good, I did find it hard at times to find his vocals in the mix amidst of everything that was going on.

Oh I realize I’m in the minority here, especially for something as laid back as a DT concert. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t like it when the whole sound gets so loud that everything turns to mud.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
This is most likely the only concert I go to this year. I hardly ever go to concerts and the last one I went to was to see DT in 2016...so I'm not too worried about the volume. However, the person I'm going with has a friend who is also going. This guy hasn't gone to concerts lately because he played in a band back in the day and has really bad ear ringing (forgot the term). He wants to take a chance just to see Dream Theater. I'll pass the warning along to him.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Good thread.

The DT show I saw (with three friends) in Kansas City in 2014 on the DT12 tour was ear-splitting loud.  In fact, it was so loud that two of us went to the balcony for the second set to get some relief and it was still unbearably loud.  And I had ear plugs in, and it was still too much. 

The crazy thing is that I seen them four days earlier in Chicago and the volume there was perfect.

Just goes to show you how unpredictable the sound can be.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Take it from me, if you don't already have tinnitus, protect your ears. Don't think it won't happen to you.

I used to think really loud gigs were great. Now I'm sitting here in silence with my morning coffee, wishing I could turn my left ear down just to enjoy the sounds of the countryside outside.

(If you do already have tinnitus, you don't need to me to lecture you :lol )
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Shooters1221

I must be one of the rare lucky ones. First concert was in 1979, then 100's since in every seat imaginable including every DT album. I think I remember trying some kind of ear plugs at one of the Maiden/Priest shows of the early 80's, but couldn't stand it and ripped them out in a short period and never wore them again. With around 10 years of playing on stage with a crash cymbal around 3 feet from my head in a shitty garage band, still, my hearing is great and I still have people asking me to figure out parts of audio that they can't quite hear. CRAZY!

Offline JLa

See, this is why I've stopped going to concerts. Even when I bring ear plugs (I always do!) my ears keep ringing for days afterwards because the volume is so insanely loud. I've already damaged them slightly after attending 50+ shows. No more.

It can't be that hard to dial everything back some decibels. Seriously. It's more a attitude thing, seems as the general consensus is that concerts should be LOUD. F that.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
DT have always been too loud, it's not just this tour.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline efx

In Sweden our DB laws have been perfect for bands of DT's size. Here you can't go over 100db which is plenty loud for the places that they would play. On the other hand it really can mess with stadium bands or larger outdoor venues.

But I'm constantly reminded when I go to shows outside of the country why I have molded ear plugs.

Offline Peter Mc

I’ve never worn earplugs at any show. Can you still hear the show properly? Only ask as I have developed tinnitus over the last 6 months so don’t want to do further damage but still want to be able to hear the show.

Offline MirrorMask

I found out that all I actually need to do with the earplugs is cover the lower half of the ear... the equivalent of pressing that little lobe part that is attached to the head (It's difficult to explain without knowing all the proper definitions for the ear, but you know the shape of the ear that comes out of the head, mh? I'm talking about the part that makes a round ) and that you can press with your fingers), making sure to cover that filters out the most "annoying" frequencies, and the quality of the sound you hear doesn't suffer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I’ve never worn earplugs at any show. Can you still hear the show properly? Only ask as I have developed tinnitus over the last 6 months so don’t want to do further damage but still want to be able to hear the show.

Look into earplugs specifically for music or musicians.  Etymotic make some really good ones.  They reduce the decibels without distorting the sound.  So you will still hear the music clearly, rather than it being muffled. 

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection.html - I use the blue Ety plugs. 

I'm sure I damaged my hearing by going to 50+ concerts over 20 years.  I scared myself after seeing a concert where my hearing wasn't just cloudy afterwards, but actually had some ringing in my ear.  After that, I bought some good earplugs and haven't experienced that since.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:24:30 AM by Grappler »

Offline Tunnel Vision

I agree, the Etymotic  hearing protection plugs are great.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Take it from me, if you don't already have tinnitus, protect your ears. Don't think it won't happen to you.

I used to think really loud gigs were great. Now I'm sitting here in silence with my morning coffee, wishing I could turn my left ear down just to enjoy the sounds of the countryside outside.

(If you do already have tinnitus, you don't need to me to lecture you :lol )

Amen. I know exactly when I got it too. March 2000, 9:30 Club in Washington D.C. Queensryche was the headliner, with Jesse James Dupree opening. I was too close to the speaker, without earplugs, and it popped something. I felt sick for the rest of the gig and most of the night/morning thereafter. And the ringing never really went away. My hearing is still good, but the damn buzzing, even if it is slight, is always there. SUCKS.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I'm used to loud shows. So I'll let you guys know if its loud.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I was at The Wiltern last Friday.  Yes, it was loud.  News flash, it's supposed to be loud.  I've never worn ear plugs to a concert because I want to hear it.  Otherwise, there's no point in going.  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Dream Theater at the Oakdale in CT on the Train of Thought tour was the loudest thing I've ever experienced, and that includes the time at Pratt and Whitney when I got to hang out in the jet engine testing facility. I was was legitimately disoriented walking out of the venue.

Online geeeemo

I was at The Wiltern last Friday.  Yes, it was loud.  News flash, it's supposed to be loud.  I've never worn ear plugs to a concert because I want to hear it.  Otherwise, there's no point in going.  :justjen

I agree. Except for the fact I have gone to a bunch of concerts the last 3 years and got into DT during that time (which has led to excessive loud listening at home etc.)  Now I have tinnitus...Not sure if it is still an after effect from last Friday night, or it is just getting worse. I may have to use the plugs next Sunday in Milwaukee.. seems wrong though :-\

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I feel the worst part is that even when you wear earplugs, not only does it muffle the wrong frequencies usually, but from a certain volume on your skull starts ringing too, and  then you get these stray sounds on top of it.

Breaking The Fourth Wall was painfully loud, dang.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."