Author Topic: Kel-n-Rich react to DT  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Dream Team

Kel-n-Rich react to DT
« on: March 24, 2019, 07:12:18 AM »

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kel-n-rich+illumination+theory&view=detail&mid=30858EAC9C887ED960A630858EAC9C887ED960A6&FORM=VIRE

We're all naturally a little jaded and blase about how great DT is, so it's nice seeing reactions like this. She's a blubbering mess at the end of the song  :lol. They also have ones for ACOS, OV, TCOT, TBOT, BW, AWE, and all of SFAM. Nice to be reminded that emotional singing + beautiful music = win, we're sometimes ho-hum about it.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Kel-n-Rich react to DT
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:32:49 AM »
Kinda curious why you linked from Bing search rather than just the Youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRmQoxWCt3A

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:21:04 AM »
I'm confused by this display of emotion, really. Especially because it doesn't seem to be superficial. What is it supposed to mean? (I also don't seem to understand the concept of any of these reaction videos in general, but what do I know.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »
Reality tv culture has eaten our brains alive heh, of fuckin course they're acting.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
I was serious when I asked the questions in my post. I don't watch TV btw, but I'm sure you're right about that kind of programming and its impact.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
I believe this youtube genre of people recording their reactions to things is a direct product of reality tv and it's evolution to every type of media that is presumably unscripted. Like cooking contests and real-estate house flipping shows, etc. This is the cheap internet version of the same thrill.   
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 01:09:02 PM »
I'm confused by this display of emotion, really. Especially because it doesn't seem to be superficial. What is it supposed to mean? (I also don't seem to understand the concept of any of these reaction videos in general, but what do I know.)
You're asking why she was crying at the end?  I "skimmed" through the video with the sound off and noticed the same thing. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 02:17:17 PM »
That's one reoccurring thing yes (literally happens almost anytime they react to a DT piece) and that is also one of the things that I'm confused by. I never cry when listening to music. Just a weird thing really. I've never seen literally anyone (but them now) be all emotional about DT. Ever.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 02:20:53 PM »
I don't see any confusion, the reaction seemed genuine.  Illumination Theory has done that to me before. It really hits home if you've been through hard times. She was spot on about what she said afterwards.
Too bad her husband had to start coughing out of nowhere when she was talking.  :facepalm:                                                                                                                                                                   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 02:33:30 PM »
First off, I cannot imagine deriving any enjoyment out of watching some random YouTuber watch/listen to something.

On the subject of crying during music... I cry when Spock dies because I have invested the 90+ minutes in his journey and how he ends up in the Engineering room, I cry when Red meets Andy on the beach because I spent 2:00 with them in getting to that reunion. Music, while similarly a journey, doesn't give me the time or investment needed to get that point of tears.

Now a song can sometimes evoke a strong memory that can move me to tears, but that is a different emotional reaction.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 02:37:02 PM »
That's one reoccurring thing yes (literally happens almost anytime they react to a DT piece) and that is also one of the things that I'm confused by. I never cry when listening to music. Just a weird thing really. I've never seen literally anyone (but them now) be all emotional about DT. Ever.

I've actually cried while listening to the end of Illumination Theory, Dissapear, Take away my pain, The best of times. I didn't watch the video (reaction videos are not really interesting to me) so I don't know if she/he seems genuine but it has happened to me. I don't know how common/rare can that be with other people, but it can happen.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
I have to give them one thing though: We rarely see women actually enjoying DT. This lady is an exception it seems. Why shoud women not be into DT? (seriously)

Offline gm5k

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »
Honestly love their reactions, some of my favorites ever.  For anyone confused about the display of emotion, they lost a son very recently.  They've talked about it in some of their videos.  I think that combined with the awesome music she recently found out she loves is the reason for the crying.  I appreciate her honest reactions. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:56:59 PM by gm5k »

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »
I cry many times while listening DT when I'm in that mood. But the lady in the video and her reaction seems staged. Sorry.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 03:15:13 PM »
Honestly love their reactions, some of my favorites ever.  For anyone confused about the display of emotion, they lost a son very recently.  They've talked about it in some of their videos.  I think that combined with the awesome music she recently found out she loves is the reason for the crying.  I appreciate her honest reactions.
if that's true, it must be quite a feat to throw on (and endure, if that's a suitable word) something like The Best Of Times or Finally Free or imagine Goodnight Kiss or something. ACOS would be another one with that factored in. Brave. Brave. And daring. (or weak, whatever you may think of that strategy, depends on one's world view and POV)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 03:27:29 PM »
I cry many times while listening DT when I'm in that mood. But the lady in the video and her reaction seems staged. Sorry.
Yeah they may be actually. I wasn't sure in my first post above. If they are, that's good because then I'll take them less seriously than I did. Superficiality is easier to accept to me. Call me cold or something. I love that.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
I tear up almost every time I listen to the "to really feel the joy in life" part of Illumination Theory, along with almost every other instance where JP provided back vocals to JLB in a different melody, like the "Now that you can see all you have done" section in This Dying Soul or "Is there fantasy in refuge?" part of Voices, but point a camera at me and tell me "This is to film your reactions" and there's no way it would happen, the idea of capturing my reactions is too distracting for me to be natural.
Aside of course of how self conscious I would be of my own douchebaggery and self-indulgence that allowed me to film myself "reacting" to something in the first place  :lol

Offline gm5k

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 04:22:24 PM »
I tear up almost every time I listen to the "to really feel the joy in life" part of Illumination Theory, along with almost every other instance where JP provided back vocals to JLB in a different melody, like the "Now that you can see all you have done" section in This Dying Soul or "Is there fantasy in refuge?" part of Voices, but point a camera at me and tell me "This is to film your reactions" and there's no way it would happen, the idea of capturing my reactions is too distracting for me to be natural.
Aside of course of how self conscious I would be of my own douchebaggery and self-indulgence that allowed me to film myself "reacting" to something in the first place  :lol

Well you aren't them.  It's not a difficult thing to conceptualize.  Just because you can't honestly display raw emotions on film doesn't mean they can't.  What you find to be "douchebaggery", etc. others don't. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:30:08 PM by gm5k »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 04:36:54 PM »
For those of you that say that it is all staged,  you're reading into things way too much. I mean, why would somebody stage something like that?  I've been through some terrible losses in my life, and the final part of Illumination Theory can bring out those kind of emotions if I let it..

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
I like watching their vids. They seem like a nice couple whom are about just sharing musical experiences together. She and he have cried a couple times and they dona good job of explaining ‘why’.

Reaction videos aren’t for everyone and although it’s notnwxaclry rocket science not everyone can do it. There are literally hundreds of people attempting them yet only a handful are worth watching.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:00:41 PM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »

Well you aren't them.  It's not a difficult thing to conceptualize.  Just because you can't honestly display raw emotions on film doesn't mean they can't.  What you find to be "douchebaggery", etc. others don't.

Naaaaaaaaaah.

j/k, I do disagree with you though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 05:04:32 PM »
Man, talk about jaded and cynical . . . I just thought it was cool to experience DT through fresh ears. “Staged”. Riiight. I suppose their reactions to Rush, Metallica, Priest, etc were all staged too. Don’t post in the frickin thread if you don’t like it. I also happen to abhor reality TV; this ain’t that.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 05:15:24 PM »
Man, talk about jaded and cynical . . . I just thought it was cool to experience DT through fresh ears. “Staged”. Riiight. I suppose their reactions to Rush, Metallica, Priest, etc were all staged too. Don’t post in the frickin thread if you don’t like it. I also happen to abhor reality TV; this ain’t that.

This is not about liking it or not. LIKE it or NOT I express my thoughts about this reaction. This is what forum means after all. Sharing thoughts and such even we don't agree.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 05:27:35 PM »
I don’t watch them a lot, but enjoy this couple very much, I watched this AWE (so good) and Octavarium (even better)

As a woman... I can tell you tears can come during music and at other times. She looks legit.  I can also tell you that I really have no one to share my DT emotion with. For us women emotion plays a part of our experience. When I watch sports (and I am into a baseball and football), I need to be emotionally attached to enjoy it. Usually that means I need to be rooting for one of the teams or following a player I like.

When I left the concert Friday night I was super emotional. Not teary, but just an intense feeling. I wanted to share it with someone. My son was there, but he isn’t one to be like that, nor does he Love DT as I do. I am still exhausted from the experience.

So, watching a video like these, especially with a rocker woman, captures as best as possible the sharing and mutual enjoyment of the band I love.   :heart :'(

btw. I almost always cry during Far From Heaven. It takes me to a really painful experience with my younger son....

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 05:33:04 PM »
Dream Team I was just reacting to your post  :neverusethis:
Wait wait I think I've been going about this all wrong. It's like the asshole who keeps pointing out to WWE fans that it's fake, why ruin their fun you dick!
I feel bad, I take back my previous comments  :angel:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »
Man these people are so obviously overreacting for the camera, it's all set up and planned and they expect to get views based on that. Reminds me of the chick who watched Nightwish's Ghost Love Score and fucking burst into tears IMMEDIATELY when Floor started singing, like get a grip  :rollin I say that as someone who gets choked up at a LOT of music, too!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »
Don't be a dick Kattlelox.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 06:09:06 PM »
I find it troubling that people here are judging these guys as if they are somehow horrible people or using Dream Theater reaction videos to become famous reactors... I'd react to something a lot more mainstream if I wanted that and not an old prog-metal band.

Are we that full of ourselves that we're trashing something that *might* be fake?  We should be happy, even if it's fake, that NEW fans are coming on board our ship instead of throwing them overboard because of a perceived character flaw or something else ridiculous.

Look, I get it, Dream Theater is *our* band, and we want to keep them in our back pocket and all that... but don't we want them to have continued/greater success?  Or do we just *say* we want DT to have continued/greater success but not really or only on our terms?

Who cares why or how new people are getting into DT, we should be thrilled and excited supportive and not cynical d-bags.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 06:30:09 PM »
I think, respectfully, that's missing the point. The criticisms aren't about DT or people getting into them, they're criticisms about "youtube culture" and the psychology behind getting views on youtube by potentially faking performances in exchange for viewers and likes and subscribers.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 11:46:52 PM »
I think, respectfully, that's missing the point. The criticisms aren't about DT or people getting into them, they're criticisms about "youtube culture" and the psychology behind getting views on youtube by potentially faking performances in exchange for viewers and likes and subscribers.

While I certainly be,Ive and have seen those ‘reactors’ on you tube......I do not get the feeling from Kel and Rich that they are acting or faking it. I think these two are legit and refreshing to watch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
It seems genuine, but none of us can know for sure. Is it possible to be that natural when you know that cameras are on you? When you know you're *on* and performing. Cos that's what it is, whether they are genuine first-time reactions to the music or not. Part of me wants to believe that they are genuine. But it says something about our cynical times that instead of being pleased that new people are seeing how great this music is, we're plunged into a debate of whether it's real or not.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
Yikes! And I thought all those “hip hop fans” react to metal videos were bad.

This is easily one of the most cringey things I’ve ever seen on YouTube

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »
Personally, I really like their reactions, they seem completely genuine. The reason this song hit her so hard is because she's a former classical musician herself and they have lost a son quite recently. (I believe 3 years ago). 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2019, 08:52:08 AM »

I really can't blame anyone for feeling many of these videos could be contrived. It is the internet after all, which is plagued with so much phony shit. Having said that, I did see several of their videos a few weeks ago, and I usually enjoy hearing other people's perspectives about songs. Sometimes they may hear something I hadn't before.

This couple certainly has recorded a fuckton of videos for such a short time, too. They said they're going to the Orlando Dream Theater show, too. Perhaps I'll bump into them there.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2019, 09:01:57 AM »
I believe this youtube genre of people recording their reactions to things is a direct product of reality tv and it's evolution to every type of media that is presumably unscripted. Like cooking contests and real-estate house flipping shows, etc. This is the cheap internet version of the same thrill.

Yup, and even if they start off as true reaction vids and they reach any level of success, it all becomes corporate smoke and mirrors eventually.