Author Topic: Kel-n-Rich react to DT  (Read 6327 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Kel-n-Rich react to DT
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2019, 10:47:28 AM »
I believe this youtube genre of people recording their reactions to things is a direct product of reality tv and it's evolution to every type of media that is presumably unscripted. Like cooking contests and real-estate house flipping shows, etc. This is the cheap internet version of the same thrill.

Yup, and even if they start off as true reaction vids and they reach any level of success, it all becomes corporate smoke and mirrors eventually.

This is what has happened to the 'Lost in Vegas' guys. Really dug them a lot early on but they've changed it all up to really 'go' for it as far as corporate/career type feel.

I like the sincerity behind Kel and Rich's 'reaction' vids....I don't think at this point they are staged or 'fake'....I think they're pretty genuine and heartfelt and 'real'.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »
^^ What's different about LIV? All they did was upgrade their equipment and start to transition into a long form podcast. I haven't detected any change at all in their delivery or tone or words. I don't think just because they want to advance their show and maybe even do it full time that they're suddenly going, as you said, "corporate"...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2019, 05:15:59 PM »
I skipped to the end of IT and watched them bob their heads during the jam, waiting for the part where she cries. The vocals come in, and after a few lines and build up she starts balling. Now I get emotional during some songs, but this screamed forced to me. The lyrics aren't very personal. Sometimes you have to go through hard times to truly be happy yadda yadda, and maybe that was enough. Maybe she has a fucked up past, or maybe they're like most reactors on youtube and will do anything for subs. Especially as she seems to cry a lot. Why do I want to watch someone cry? They seem like they were enjoying the jam, but again, slightly bobbing their heads with their eyes closed. How entertaining.

They seem like nice people, but that doesn't mean they don't have an agenda. The guy is either exploiting his wife's emotional reactions to music and she's just cool with it, or they both realized people will watch anything, and they have dollar signs in their eyes. I know the latter is true because my fiance and daughter watch some really stupid shit on youtube. One example is a girl who just plays Sims. That's it. She even started a video laughing and saying, "this is my job." All I could think was, "not for long with that attitude."

Offline gm5k

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2019, 05:55:59 PM »
I skipped to the end of IT and watched them bob their heads during the jam, waiting for the part where she cries. The vocals come in, and after a few lines and build up she starts balling. Now I get emotional during some songs, but this screamed forced to me. The lyrics aren't very personal. Sometimes you have to go through hard times to truly be happy yadda yadda, and maybe that was enough. Maybe she has a fucked up past, or maybe they're like most reactors on youtube and will do anything for subs. Especially as she seems to cry a lot. Why do I want to watch someone cry? They seem like they were enjoying the jam, but again, slightly bobbing their heads with their eyes closed. How entertaining.

They seem like nice people, but that doesn't mean they don't have an agenda. The guy is either exploiting his wife's emotional reactions to music and she's just cool with it, or they both realized people will watch anything, and they have dollar signs in their eyes. I know the latter is true because my fiance and daughter watch some really stupid shit on youtube. One example is a girl who just plays Sims. That's it. She even started a video laughing and saying, "this is my job." All I could think was, "not for long with that attitude."

You don't know much about YT royalties if you think they're making anything decent off these videos. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »

You don't know much about YT royalties if you think they're making anything decent off these videos. 

They just started. 6k subs wont do shit for income, but we'll see where they are in a month. Someone pointed out above that Dream Theater won't bring in the views, and that's true, but you don't think they know that already?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2019, 10:43:41 PM »
Someone pointed out above that Dream Theater won't bring in the views, and that's true, but you don't think they know that already?

That was me and that's my point exactly.

If you want to be Youtube superstar reactor then you'd have a schtick like a costume or be really loud and crazy and also react to something that's actually popular that people will see.  You don't do Dream Theater wearing their merch and sitting quietly and then be fake about it to goose the ratings.

So let's just give them the benefit of the doubt and welcome them to our little Dream Theater fan-mily.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2019, 11:15:00 PM »
Someone pointed out above that Dream Theater won't bring in the views, and that's true, but you don't think they know that already?

That was me and that's my point exactly.

If you want to be Youtube superstar reactor then you'd have a schtick like a costume or be really loud and crazy and also react to something that's actually popular that people will see.  You don't do Dream Theater wearing their merch and sitting quietly and then be fake about it to goose the ratings.

So let's just give them the benefit of the doubt and welcome them to our little Dream Theater fan-mily.

NO ONE ASKED YOU, PETDICK!

:-*

Offline Volante99

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2019, 11:53:36 PM »
It’s so embarrassing. The closed eyes, forced head-bobs, her studded choker, his three sizes too small t-shirts. They’re metal fans in their 40s (?) and I’m supposed to buy that they’ve never listened to Operation Mindcrime before?

:facepalm:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 05:43:26 AM »
No. He's a metal-fan, she wasn't until very recently. What's embarrassing is all the people bashing people for sticking their necks out. And everyone on Youtube pretending to never have heard Bohemian Rhapsody or seen Queen at Live-Aid.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:13 AM »

Yeah. The Lost in Vegas guys have near a million subscribers and the reason they shifted thier approach was because they were making near nothing off of what they were doing.

^^ What's different about LIV? All they did was upgrade their equipment and start to transition into a long form podcast. I haven't detected any change at all in their delivery or tone or words. I don't think just because they want to advance their show and maybe even do it full time that they're suddenly going, as you said, "corporate"...

The only gripe I have with them right now is the frequency of thier posts. They used to post a lot more....now it’s pretty long between posts. I know they’re getting this new platform up and running so I’m trying to be patient but I liked what they were doing before and it appears they’re shifting it up a bit.

And, I think that Rich and Kel are ‘legit’ in the sense of it’s not forced or staged....it’s just them enjoying new music together. They seem to be really in to each other and it translates well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »
It’s so embarrassing.

And, with all respect to you, Volante, what makes you so high and mighty that you get to judge and insult people that aren't doing anything wrong?  Sorry for singling you out, but this applies to everyone in this thread who has posted similar things.  This forum is NOT the place to tear other people down.  If you want to do that, you are in the wrong place.  You are free to watch their videos or not.  You are free to like them or not.  But criticism for the sake of criticizing is not cool at all.  You all can act however you want outside of this place.  But the conduct displayed by some in this thread truly IS, to borrow a word, "embarrassing."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:55:11 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »
They’re metal fans in their 40s (?) and I’m supposed to buy that they’ve never listened to Operation Mindcrime before?

I can name plenty of metal albums I've never listened to before.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2019, 01:41:44 PM »
Me too actually.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »
I, as well, but then again, I never claim to be a metal fan in the first place.  However, even I did, I don't think it would be in good taste to have a gatekeeping mentality to prevent people getting into a band like Dream Theater, just because they haven't listened to so and so album or have done this or that or whatever to be "proven worthy" to be a metal fan.  We wouldn't want to deter anyone from listening to a great band like DT, regardless if these reaction videos have genuine emotions or not, wouldn't we?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 01:48:01 PM »
I didn't hear Mindcrime for the first time until the start of 2018.

Jordan Rudess didn't even hear Master of Puppets and a few other classic metal albums until they were recording Train of Thought. JORDAN RUDESS!

Not knowing a classic album doesn't mean $#!+  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »

Exactly, I consider myself a metal fan and I still haven't heard operation mindcrime or some other "classic" albums. There are just so many music out there to know and listen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »

Exactly, I consider myself a metal fan and I still haven't heard operation mindcrime or some other "classic" albums. There are just so many music out there to know and listen.

Of course I now have to take a moment to suggest you listen to Mindcrime. Boy are there some great tunes on that. I think Rage For Order is a better album but Spreading the Disease, man! Metal as hell! :2metal:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »
They’re metal fans in their 40s (?) and I’m supposed to buy that they’ve never listened to Operation Mindcrime before?

I can name plenty of metal albums I've never listened to before.
Same here, I'm in my forties and there are a bunch of metal albums I've never heard before. But I've heard Mindcrime, Mindcrime many many times!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Volante99

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2019, 07:17:59 PM »

Jordan Rudess didn't even hear Master of Puppets and a few other classic metal albums until they were recording Train of Thought. JORDAN RUDESS!

Touché. But Jordan isn’t a big fan of the heavy stuff.

If you were a metal fan in the 80s you would have had to try REALLY hard to avoid Operation Mindcrime
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:28:02 PM by Volante99 »

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »

Of course I now have to take a moment to suggest you listen to Mindcrime. Boy are there some great tunes on that. I think Rage For Order is a better album but Spreading the Disease, man! Metal as hell! :2metal:

Actually I've been meaning to listen to it for several years now!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »

Actually I've been meaning to listen to it for several years now!

Also highly recommend it. It’s amazing how relevant it is 30 years later with lyrics about the “1%”, crooked cops/politicians, even the opioid crisis. Some things never change I guess. :/

Offline adamack

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2019, 10:00:17 PM »
EDIT: Scratch That
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:08:07 PM by adamack »

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2019, 05:36:01 AM »
If you were a metal fan in the 80s you would have had to try REALLY hard to avoid Operation Mindcrime

I don't think so. I know metal fans from back then who intentionally avoided because it wasn't heavy enough or it was just too "deep" for them.

Me personally, I've never listened to a Slayer, Anthrax, or Megadeth album in their entirety. That's just to name a few, there's many more.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2019, 07:33:20 AM »

I don't think so. I know metal fans from back then who intentionally avoided because it wasn't heavy enough or it was just too "deep" for them.

Me personally, I've never listened to a Slayer, Anthrax, or Megadeth album in their entirety. That's just to name a few, there's many more.

Exactly, hence the avoiding part in my first point. They would have had to purposefully avoid it. I’m not simply referring to sitting down and listening to the album front to back, I’m talking hearing songs on radio/MTV back in the day.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2019, 09:00:34 AM »

Exactly.  I was definitely a metal fan during the time period that Queensryche was coming up.  And yet, I hadn't heard ANYTHING from them, including Mindcrime, until a guy I knew practically forced Mindcrime on me in 1989.  And if he hadn't, who knows how long it would have taken before I would have heard it?  Even for most of my friends who were metal heads, they didn't really know much or any Queensryche until MTV made that unavoidable after Empire's release.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gm5k

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2019, 02:06:07 PM »
Still haven't heard OMC and I've been listening to prog/metal for 20 years.  Although I guess my band choices in the genre aren't very well rounded.  Kinda just stick to DT, Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus  :lol  Never thought Queensryche sounded that interesting from what I'd heard here and there.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2019, 10:51:24 PM »

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Offline Volante99

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2019, 12:06:34 AM »

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Lol okay okay, cripes, point taken

You all either had never heard the album or personally know a metal fan who hadn’t heard it. I get it  :chill

Be that as it may, ya’ll should stop what you’re doing and give it a whirl. It’s one of the great platinum selling metal albums of the decade, and widely regarded (outside of team-DT, who may be a bit biased, including me) as THE greatest progressive metal album of all time, as well as one of the best concept albums ever recorded.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2019, 02:22:44 AM »
It’s one of the great platinum selling metal albums of the decade, and widely regarded (outside of team-DT, who may be a bit biased, including me) as THE greatest progressive metal album of all time, as well as one of the best concept albums ever recorded.

I can agree with that.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2019, 11:09:18 PM »
I just got a suggestion for them this evening and saw their reaction playlist.

full of prog and prog metal.

I subscribed. There are a lot of other channels like theirs, but not that many that have a large focus on prog and prog metal.

:tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »
I thought it was a great reaction video.  Illumination Theory has been really moving to me as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »
Imagine them reacting to Chosen. All hell would break loose beyond repair.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2019, 01:22:29 PM »
I thought it was a great reaction video.  Illumination Theory has been really moving to me as well.
The middle movement or the final movement or both?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2019, 02:04:31 PM »
The middle movement or the final movement or both?
Yes.  But more often the middle movement, which will always be known to me by the name given it by my youngest daughter, "the beautiful section".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.