Author Topic: Most interesting commentary track on a Dream Theater DVD?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline TheFrozenInferno

Most interesting commentary track on a Dream Theater DVD?
« on: March 22, 2019, 05:41:06 PM »
Which of the commentary tracks that DT have done over the years on concert videos would you say is the most interesting? Not only for general banter but for perhaps little known behind the scenes information and stuff like that?

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Most interesting commentary track on a Dream Theater DVD?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »
Man, they are all A+ commentaries. I would say Live in Tokyo or 5 Years in a Livetime if forced to choose though. The fact that Jordan was there and wasn't with the band actually benefits the track as you can hear an outsider perspective or who sometimes prompts the band with questions about certain things from the time.

Greatest line comes from James at the end of 5YIALT which I won't spoil in case anybody hasn't heard it yet.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 06:56:51 AM »
Man, they are all A+ commentaries. I would say Live in Tokyo or 5 Years in a Livetime if forced to choose though. The fact that Jordan was there and wasn't with the band actually benefits the track as you can hear an outsider perspective or who sometimes prompts the band with questions about certain things from the time.

Greatest line comes from James at the end of 5YIALT which I won't spoil in case anybody hasn't heard it yet.
Both of these are amazing, I watched them back to back one night until 3:30 in the morning and when I heard that last line I laughed so hard I must have woken the house up  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
I like Live In Tokyo, the banter is just on point. Love the reaction of James to his own past self's mind going blank on the Spyro Gyra bit.  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
I like Live In Tokyo, the banter is just on point. Love the reaction of James to his own past self's mind going blank on the Spyro Gyra bit.  :lol

Yeah, I think it had the most amusing funny bits in that commentary track. Also plenty of interesting and informative stuff, so all in all, I'd say that one is probably my favorite.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »
I said most of this in the documentary thread:

LSFNY is my absolute favorite.  I've listened to it probably two dozen times over the years.

Next best is WDADRu.  JM was very talkative, and I think some of his comments turned out to be prophetic.

I only learned recently that LIT and 5YIAL had commentary tracks, and I've only listened to each once.  LIT was very good -- in particular how they poked fun at themselves for how they looked and acted.  5YIAL has its moments, but it started to drag in the second half.  Maybe that was because there's a lot of material on 5YIAL that isn't my favorite; maybe it's because it's a very long video; maybe it's because it's the second commentary track recorded in the span of a few days.

There aren't any others that I've missed, are there?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 10:27:38 AM »
5YIALT / Live in tokyo for sure are my favs
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »
LSFNY is my absolute favorite.  I've listened to it probably two dozen times over the years.
I love the moment when JP notices everyone on stage is wearing leather pants but him, asks "how do you guys keep your leather pants clean?" and without missing a beat, JR says "WE DON'T"  :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »
I love the moment when JP notices everyone on stage is wearing leather pants but him, asks "how do you guys keep your leather pants clean?" and without missing a beat, JR says "WE DON'T"  :rollin

I'm pretty sure the "we don't" line was James.  I'm also not sure JR was wearing leather pants.  I thought it was just JLB and JM.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure the "we don't" line was James.  I'm also not sure JR was wearing leather pants.  I thought it was just JLB and JM.
I can't swear on it because I don't have the DVD with me but I'm positive it was JR.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »
The only ones I've listened to all the way through are WDADR and LSFNY. Both are kind of equally good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
MP was onto something with getting the band to do those commentary tracks, they are gold for hardcore DT fans. I can't remember the last time I listened to any to give any feedback, but they are all enjoyable and offer lots of good info and insights.

I'd love to see them do another one and would be cool to hear MM talk about stuff similar to JR when it comes to the music before his time in the band.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »
The Live In Tokyo is neat for me to see because while I have been a fan of theirs since I&W, I never saw them live till 2003, and it was neat to watch an old performance with them, so to speak, and how they discuss that critical period in their history.

LiveTime has some good parts, and some duller parts.

Scenes is enjoyable as they break down some of the story elements in more depth.

ReUnite is a fun listen but not as "interesting" as the others.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 08:01:34 AM »
The WDADR one for sure. It provides so much insight into the earlier days and, as mentioned above, JM is very talkative on that one.