Poll

Which grouping of songs do you like best?

Limelight (Rush), Who's Crying Now (Journey) & Turn Me Loose (Loverboy)
Bringin' on the Heartbreak (Def Leppard), Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (The Police) & Dirty Laundry (Don Henley)
Diary of a Madman (Ozzy Osbourne), Heat of the Moment (Asia) & You Better You Bet (The Who)
Unchained (Van Halen), I Will Follow (U2) & Too Much Time on My Hands (Styx)
Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie), Metal Gods (Judas Priest) & On the Loose (Saga)

Voting closes: December 31, 2024, 05:49:53 PM

Author Topic: 80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part VIII  (Read 1043 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part VIII
« on: March 21, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
More early 80's rock!!

Vote for which grouping you like best.

I tried to make all of these tough for me personally, figuring they'd then be tough for others as well, but inevitably I went with 1 by just a hair over 4.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part VIII
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »
1 is pretty good, but this was an easy choice...5!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 06:59:52 PM »
Holy crap this is a hard one!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »
I didn't even have to read past the first choice. That was super easy :metardica:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:26 PM »
Limelight 5
Who's Crying Now 3
Turn Me Loose 5
Total: 13 Can't recall me giving two 5s in the same group before.

Bringin' on the Heartbreak 5
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic 3
Dirty Laundry 1
Total: 9

Diary of a Madman 2
Heat of the Moment 4
You Better You Bet 2
Total: 8

Unchained 3
I Will Follow 2
Too Much Time on My Hands 2
Total: 7

Under Pressure 5
Metal Gods 3
On the Loose (Saga) Had to YT, didn't sound familiar. After a listen, 0
Total: 8
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:48:54 PM »
Oh yeah. Group 1 by a landslide.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 04:11:22 AM »
Every group has at least one meh song, but I have to pick the fourth group because it has two songs that I really dig: Unchained (one of the best 80's hard rock tunes) and I Will Follow.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 04:16:24 AM »
Group 1 is wining this poll by far because it has one popular Rush tune? Ah, you biased Rush fanboyz. Come on.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 04:41:00 AM »
Group 1 is wining this poll by far because it has one popular Rush tune? Ah, you biased Rush fanboyz. Come on.  :lol

So you're saying no one could possibly like Journey and Loverboy?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 07:11:02 AM »
Umm Limelight is actually my least favorite song in that bunch although I do like it a lot. Who's Crying Now is maybe one of the weaker tracks on Escape (imo) but that is still an amazing song on a fantastic album, and Turn Me Loose, thanks to Stadler, has been stuck on my brain for weeks and that is an awesome song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »
Goddamn.   One and three you might as well flip a coin.    And I'm with KTLX, by the way; "Limelight" is the weakest song in that group for my taste (but still very strong; it's not that I don't like it, it's that there is so much better even on that ALBUM). 

I found a bootleg, home-burned Loverboy greatest hits CD in my wife's old house, and used it in my work truck (since I didn't care if it got scratched or whatnot) and if you can get past this:

They've got some killer, killer tunes.   And no, it's not just because I am now their lead singer:

(Actually, that's the guy in the middle in the above picture.  Time is a cruel mistress.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 08:02:44 AM »
Loverboy has a few songs I still like a ton, and Turn Me Loose is one of them.  And Who's Crying Now is easily a top 4 Journey song for me (along with Separate Ways, Send Her My Love and Stone in Love).  I voted for option 1 despite the fact that Limelight doesn't wow me like it used to (due to overplay).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 10:26:16 AM »
Turn Me Loose has always been a 5* song with me. I am not sure I could name more than 1 or 2 other Loverboy songs. Who's Crying Now is a mediocre Journey song, but I am not a huge Journey guy.

Bringing On The Heartbreak is amazing.

You Better You Bet is a very subpar song, this from a big Who fan.

Under Pressure is the best song David Bowie ever did.

I am not sure I'd ever heard of the band Saga.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 11:02:37 AM »
Shit done got real now!  A serious heavy hitter in every group and no truly bad songs.  Probably any of these groups would have won any of the prior polls.

1. Limelight - 5; Who's Crying Now - 3.5; Turn Me Loose - 2.  Total - 10.5.

2. Bringin' on the Heartbreak - 4.5; Every Little Thing - 4; Dirty Laundry - 2.  Total - 10.5.

3. Diary of a Madman - 5; Heat of the Moment - 4; You Better You Bet - 3.5.  Total - 12.5.

4. Unchained - 4.5; I Will Follow - 2.5; Too Much Time on My Hands - 4.  Total - 11.

5. Under Pressure - 4.5; Metal Gods - 3; On the Loose - 3.  Total - 10.5.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
I almost went with that.  But while #3 is consistently good, #2 has a strong dose of awesome with Def Leppard that propels it ahead, despite the other two songs probably being slightly less good than the options in #3.

None of the other options were legitimate contenders.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »
Anyone want to recommend me where to start with Saga?  I know maybe three songs (if it was played on MTV, I might know it; if it wasn't I can guarantee you that I don't) but I feel like I should like it.   Problem is, they have, what 20 something studio records, and I can't really justify buying the catalogue sight unseen.  Is there a compilation that would work?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 01:06:04 PM »
Anyone want to recommend me where to start with Saga?  I know maybe three songs (if it was played on MTV, I might know it; if it wasn't I can guarantee you that I don't) but I feel like I should like it.   Problem is, they have, what 20 something studio records, and I can't really justify buying the catalogue sight unseen.  Is there a compilation that would work?

I'm in the same boat except that, off the of the top of my head, "On the Loose" is the only song I know, but I'm intrigued about the "Chapters" thing.  According to Wikipedia, they have 22 studio albums and 11 compilation albums!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »
You really cant go wrong with any of their first four albums (Self Titled, Images at Twilight, Silent Night, Worlds Apart). Worlds Apart is my favorite. A lot of people seem to dislike Images at Twilight for some reason, but I think it's pretty good. If you want something more recent from Saga I'd recommend House of Cards, Trust, or 10000 Days.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »
According to Wikipedia, they have 22 studio albums and 11 compilation albums!

Amateurs. The Who have 11 studio albums, and 26(!!!!) compilation albums.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »
I'll go with number 1