Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"
« on: March 21, 2019, 10:27:09 AM »
Probably my most anticipated movie of the year.

The trailer just dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scf8nIJCvs4

What do you guys think?
I think I'll do it the way I do it with albums. Not watch anything before I can watch the whole thing.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »
That looked awesome. His last few movies were very....Western and often very serious. I'm liking the classic Tarantino feel of this one.

I really liked Hateful Eight, and I liked Django except for the last act. But Kill Bill, Death Proof and all of that did nothing for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »
I've been looking forward to seeing some footage for awhile. Its looks very cool.

Offline robbob

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 04:31:10 PM »
Was just thinking how much I love almost of all of Tarantino's movies and came across this. Looks great, does seem to be more like his older movies.

My favorite is probably Inglorious Bastards then Pulp Fiction.
Got to watch Django again, haven't seen that in a while.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
Stylistically it looks great, and it's an era I love to see represented. I have no idea what to think about the movie though, as I have no idea what it actually is. I make it a point to catch all of his movies in the theater, and this will be no exception. His are the only movies I ever bother to see on big screens now.

And since this is clearly going to turn into a rank Tarantino movies thread, I'll give it a shot.

Kill Bill
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir dogs
Jackie Brown
Hateful
Inglorious
Django
Death Proof

I don't actually know if he considers Deathproof part of his 10 movies, or if he's counting Kill Bill as 2. OUaTiH is his 9th, so it's one or the other.

I enjoyed a good deal of Django, but I really thought it bogged down once they got to Candyland. Similarly, I liked a whole lot of Inglorious, but there were a couple of acts that didn't really do it for me.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:32:36 PM »
I will definitely see this one in the theater.  QT never disappoints.

As for favorite movie of his, it is always a 3-way race between Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds. If I had to list my favorite 20 films*, all three would be in there.

*talking non-comedies, since it is impossible for me to rank comedies amongst all other kinds of film.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »
Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill Vol 1 are the ones I love and are tied

The rest are as follows:

Reservoir dogs
Inglorious Bastards
Django
Hateful
Kill bill 2
Jackie Brown
Death Proof

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 04:12:21 AM »
The Kill Bills, merged

Basterds / Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs / Pulp Fiction
Django

Hateful Eight

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 07:29:36 AM »
Kill Bill is impossible for me to rank because a) I have no idea if I should rank them as one film or two, and b) if they are two, there is no way I can decide which I like more. 

But hey, because of this thread, I made myself a nice playlist of songs featured in Tarantino movies. :coolio :hat

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 11:39:07 AM »
Jackie Brown isn't my favorite Tarantino movie (though it is underrated compared to some of his other movies), but damn does it probably have my favorite movie soundtrack.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »
Kill Bill is impossible for me to rank because a) I have no idea if I should rank them as one film or two, and b) if they are two, there is no way I can decide which I like more. 
He definitely considers it one move, and that's good enough for me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »
Jackie Brown isn't my favorite Tarantino movie (though it is underrated compared to some of his other movies), but damn does it probably have my favorite movie soundtrack.

Across 110th Street is a killer song, and I like Street Life quite a bit as well. 

He definitely considers it one move, and that's good enough for me.

Okay, fine :lol, if we are going with that, I'd probably put it 4th on my list, with Django 5th and Reservoir Dogs and Hateful Eight bringing up the rear.  For some reason, I have still yet to see Death Proof, but every single person I know who is also a QT fan has either not seen it as well or gave me the "meh, it was okay" non-recommendation. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
1. The Hateful Eight
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. Inglorious Basterds (the opening scene is his single finest moment in my opinion)
5. Kill Bill Volume 2
6. Kill Bill Volume 1
7. Django Unchained
8. Reservoir Dogs (great film but I don't enjoy watching it)

By the way that 'numbering' thing he's been doing since Kill Bill Volume 1 counts Kill Bill as two separate movies. He doesn't count Death Proof as one of his official '10 movies'. He's planning to retire from film-making after his 10th film, i.e the one after Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. He explains why here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnNeM3VwOw

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 07:36:40 PM »
1. The Hateful Eight
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. Inglorious Basterds (the opening scene is his single finest moment in my opinion)
5. Kill Bill Volume 2
6. Kill Bill Volume 1
7. Django Unchained

By the way that 'numbering' thing he's been doing since Kill Bill Volume 1 counts Kill Bill as two separate movies. He doesn't count Death Proof as one of his official '10 movies'. He's planning to retire from film-making after his 10th film, i.e the one after Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. He explains why here:

Everything I've seen is that for the purposes of the ten Death Proof counts as one, as does Kill Bill. Doesn't really matter much since the count's the same anyway, but he's pretty clear that KB is one movie.

Wanting to see different actors portray the characters he's created is actually a really nifty idea.

For some reason, I have still yet to see Death Proof, but every single person I know who is also a QT fan has either not seen it as well or gave me the "meh, it was okay" non-recommendation. 
It's pretty awkward. I can listen to Tarantino dialog all day long, so I dig it. The movie's too long, though, and dialog is really all there is. The problem is that he essentially tells the story twice. You spend 45 minutes getting to know these hot chicks, and then they promptly die. Then you spend another 45 minutes watching the next group of hot chicks hopefully not die.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 10:38:44 AM »
It's pretty awkward. I can listen to Tarantino dialog all day long, so I dig it. The movie's too long, though, and dialog is really all there is. The problem is that he essentially tells the story twice. You spend 45 minutes getting to know these hot chicks, and then they promptly die. Then you spend another 45 minutes watching the next group of hot chicks hopefully not die.

Duly noted.  I don't watch movies as much as I used to, and that one is really low on the list of ones I still want to see, so who knows if I will ever get to it.

1. The Hateful Eight
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
5. Kill Bill Volume 2
6. Kill Bill Volume 1
7. Django Unchained

Regarding the two things I bolded...

I agree about the opening scene of Basterds.  Just an amazing scene in every way possible. 

I love Dogs, but it doesn't have the rewatchability of his other films, at least not for me.  And call me a wuss, but the "Stuck in the Middle" scene is not one I like watching.  I can handle just about anything, but there are a handful of scenes in TV or film that I simply do not like re-watching, and that is one of them.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 03:59:47 AM »
1. The Hateful Eight
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
5. Kill Bill Volume 2
6. Kill Bill Volume 1
7. Django Unchained

Everything I've seen is that for the purposes of the ten Death Proof counts as one, as does Kill Bill. Doesn't really matter much since the count's the same anyway, but he's pretty clear that KB is one movie.

Wanting to see different actors portray the characters he's created is actually a really nifty idea.

For some reason, I have still yet to see Death Proof, but every single person I know who is also a QT fan has either not seen it as well or gave me the "meh, it was okay" non-recommendation. 

Duuuude don't spoil everything for him!

I like Death Proof quite a lot. It's not a "masterpiece" like most other Tarantino movies, but it's a kewl, weird little movie. And as has been pointed out, the dialogues are awesome in this one.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 04:00:33 PM »
This is out now...

Went and saw it today.  It's good.  Very stylish as expected, and both Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio were awesome in their roles.  I had never seen or heard of Margot Robbie (I am sure someone will tell me I am living in a cave :lol), but she is my new crush. :lol :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »
This is out now...

Went and saw it today.  It's good.  Very stylish as expected, and both Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio were awesome in their roles.  I had never seen or heard of Margot Robbie (I am sure someone will tell me I am living in a cave :lol), but she is my new crush. :lol :lol

I’ll let Stadler answer that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 04:35:09 PM »
This is out now...

Harley Quinn of Suicide Squad
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »
Heard of that, but never saw it.  I rarely watch new films anymore, but will always make time for QT's.

No clue if they were advertised, but there were too major (older) stars with smaller roles in this film that I didn't know would be in it beforehand.  I won't mention who they are, so as not to spoil it in case anyone else is as clueless as I was. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »
Margot Robbie was also in the fantastic Wolf of Wall Street.

I was supposed to see this tonight with some friends but backed out to take care of some personal errands; the cast looks fantastic certainly but most of Tarantino's recent work I have not enjoyed at all, so I think I'll just wait til it's on Blu-ray.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 08:30:16 PM »
Heard of that, but never saw it. 

You're not missing much.   But you didn't have to see it to know her.   Her face (and that outfit) were freakin EVERYWHERE when that movie hit.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »
Just googled it and I had never seen that before (and wish I hadn't just now :lol).  That is not a flattering look for her.

Then again, I was so hypnotized by her legs today, that I am still not thinking straight. :P

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »
Went and saw it yesterday. It’s really good! Three hours flew by very quickly. Brad Pitt steals the show in my opinion. He’s hilarious! Everyone is really good. It’s amazing how many big name there are in this movie and many are in it for a few minutes. Like Al Pacino, he’s in it for like 5 minutes
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 07:26:34 PM »
Just saw it. Didn't like it.

I've loved QT for as long as I can remember but I thought this new one was very underwhelming. It felt like a patchwork of random scenes/ideas instead of a solid cohesive story. And up until the last 10 mins, its just meandered all over the place, none of which was all that engaging. There was no reason that it needed to be almost 3 hours.

Some of this part might be spoilers

The ending was my favorite part, probably cause it became totally different movie. Despite that, the ending was a farce. I loved it, but it solidified the film as fan fiction. Being revisionist about history in Inglorious Bastards worked fine for me, despite being jarring. But here, it felt way off, despite being incredibly satisfying for what it was.

Besides Jackie brown, I've either liked or loved every single QT film, but this one was definitely not for me.

And for anyone that doesn't know QT has a foot fetish, get ready see feet all over the place  :lol
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:32:35 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 07:38:13 AM »
I was kinda in between liking it, and being 'meh'.  I don't mind the multiple plot-line / interconnected stories as a premise (2 Days in the Valley is one of my favorite all-time movies), but this was a bit of a mess, and the multiple threads didn't seem to serve much purpose.  DiCaprio and Pitt were fantastic performances; Robbie was captivating, the climax was over-the-top - ok... acid trip... got it.  Still over-the-top.

I could've waited to see it on Netflix or something.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 07:52:42 AM »
I've got no interest in stepping into a movie theater, but I'll check it out one day.

I never knew he had his own 10 film list and I guess that means movies he not only wrote but directed, but I love From Dusk Till Dawn which he only wrote and acted in.  I haven't seen all of his movies, but the ones I have I really have enjoyed so I totally would check this out, someday.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 08:10:04 AM »
Acid trip?

If it's anything as compelling as the Quaalude scene at the climax of WOWS then that sounds awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 12:35:17 PM »
Heard of that, but never saw it.  I rarely watch new films anymore, but will always make time for QT's.

No clue if they were advertised, but there were too major (older) stars with smaller roles in this film that I didn't know would be in it beforehand.  I won't mention who they are, so as not to spoil it in case anyone else is as clueless as I was. :lol

She is the hottie of Wolf of Wallstreet and had some GREAT scenes on that movie

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2019, 05:58:15 PM »
RedLetterMedia had this up at the end of their video discussion on Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:

:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2019, 09:18:25 PM »
Bruce Lee's daughter:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-07-31/bruce-lee-tarantino-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood
With one movie left Quentin's getting out of the business just in time. In four of five years people will tear his next movie to shreds for all of the racism, sexism, and every other -ism they can make a case for.

In this case the scene actually was played for laughs, but who gives a fuck? To me it's more insulting to think that Bruce Lee can't be made the subject of humor. I'd hope he'd have been just fine with it, and if he would take offense then he's not really deserving of the adulation heaped upon him.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2019, 09:28:49 PM »
I enjoyed the movie, but it's definitely second tier for me (and even the bottom of the barrel is still entertaining as all get out, AFAIC). QT's movies have a very definite style to them. There's never any mistaking what you're watching. Until the final 20 minutes this didn't have that style. It certainly wasn't bad, and I liked the BP/LD characters, but it just seemed pretty ordinary.

On the bright side, every Tarrantino movie I've seen has at least one thing that makes me LOL in the theater. This one had a couple.

You, I don't remember you name.
I'm the devil, and I've come to do the devil's work.
[long, bewildered pause] Nah, it was something stupider than that.

E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »
Haha, yep, I think that got the loudest collective laugh when I saw it last weekend.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2019, 10:03:28 PM »
Haha, yep, I think that got the loudest collective laugh when I saw it last weekend.
Brad Pitt really was the highlight, I thought. Particularly after the apocryphal acid-dipped cig. It would have been easy for QT to take a Terry Gilliam approach and do the full-blown acid trip experience (and I can confirm that Gilliam was terrifyingly accurate with Fear and Loathing), but instead he just let Pitt sell it, and it worked quite well.
E.F. Benson