Poll

Your favorite out of these singles by The Cult?

She Sells Sanctuary
3 (18.8%)
Rain
1 (6.3%)
Love Removal Machine
2 (12.5%)
Lil' Devil
0 (0%)
Wild Flower
0 (0%)
Fire Woman
5 (31.3%)
Edie (Ciao Baby)
4 (25%)
Sweet Soul Sister
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Your favorite out of these singles by The Cult?  (Read 705 times)

Offline WildRanger

Your favorite out of these singles by The Cult?
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
Take your pick.

I have to go with Rain.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Your favorite out of these singles by The Cult?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »
It's either Edie or Sweet Soul Sister.   The acoustic version of Edie is really good too.

I'm a huge Cult fan.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:07:52 PM »
Yay a Cult thread!

This is going to be hard because for many of these songs, I listen to remix/alternate versions much more often than the original/album version. Most, if not all, of these are on the Rare Cult box set.

She Sells Sanctuary: When asked my #1 favorite riff, I go with this song. The song itself, while great, seems rather pedestrian when compared to the Howling Mix or the Long version.

Rain: Another great song, though I always listen to "(Here Comes the) Rain." It isn't much different, just an extended version with a killer bass intro section.

Love Removal Machine: Good song, but I love the "Small Soldiers Remix" version. I don't care for the Peace version, that is my least favorite.

Lil' Devil: my least favorite song on this list.

Wild Flower: Good song, but again there are two alternate versions I listen to over the album one.

Fire Woman: Excellent song, maybe my #1 from this list in terms of album tracks. Two remixes of this song exist but they can be a little bit too long.

Edie (Ciao Baby): Great song and yes the acoustic version is a gem.

Sweet Soul Sister: Another great song, damn Sonic Temple was a killer album.

Damn. This is hard. If I went with album tracks I could easily pick from 3-4. If I picked including remixes/alts (which violates the spirit of the thread a bit), Sanctuary wins, though not in a landslide. I'll go Fire Woman, and feel like changing my vote in the next 5 minutes or so.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:59:28 PM »
Fire Woman  :hefdaddy

An excellent song that brings back great memories for me...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 05:55:50 AM »
Sonic Temple is one of my fave albums of the 80's. Everything works on it, most of the songs are absolute killer. That was a few years before I was born and they never got on my country's radar (except with the early goth stuff), does anyone know why they haven't been more successful after Sonic Temple? To me that album deserved to be as big as Whitesnake's S/T.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:41:38 AM »
Sonic Temple is one of my fave albums of the 80's. Everything works on it, most of the songs are absolute killer. That was a few years before I was born and they never got on my country's radar (except with the early goth stuff), does anyone know why they haven't been more successful after Sonic Temple? To me that album deserved to be as big as Whitesnake's S/T.

All "my opinion only", but I think you hit the nail on the head.   There was a fair amount of... confusion with them.  They had a couple albums that were really good but attracted the attention of a more alternative crowd, then you had the "stadium rock" of Sonic Temple (their words; Ian and Bill have both said this in interviews) then you had a sort of polarizing record in "Ceremony".   It's a great record, but it's not Sonic Temple.  They kind of bounced a bit back and forth between the "stadium rock" and "alternative" crowd and never really found a niche in either. 

I loved (and still love) them, that run from Sonic Temple to Beyond Good And Evil is as good as any four album run, pretty much, but even I had a hard time characterizing them.   They filled the spaces, so to speak, and I think that hurt them. 

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »
It's either Edie or Sweet Soul Sister.   The acoustic version of Edie is really good too.

I'm a huge Cult fan.

I love the acoustic version of Edie.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 05:19:42 PM »
The Cult is an excellent band and all of these songs are great.

I’ll go with She Sells Sanctuary

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 06:22:34 PM »
I never got into The Cult.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol