Poll

Which grouping of songs do you like best?

A Shot in the Dark (Ozzy Osbourne), Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel) & Amanda (Boston)
Walk in the Shadows (Queensryche), Take Me Home Tonight (Eddie Money) & Fight for Your Right to Party (Beastie Boys)
Who Made Who (AC/DC), The Way It Is (Bruce Hornsby & The Range) & Don't Dream It's Over (Crowded House)
Wasted Years (Iron Maiden), You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon) & Wild Wild Life (Talking Heads)
Master of Puppets (Metallica), Dear God (XTC) & Sweet Freedom (Michael McDonald)

Voting closes: December 29, 2024, 05:07:05 PM

Author Topic: 80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part VII  (Read 619 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part VII
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:07:05 PM »
This one is all about 1986.

Vote for your favorite grouping.

Very tough call between 3 and 5 for me, but I ultimately went with 5.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80's Rock/Metal/Pop Song Wars - Part VII
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:20 PM »
I went with #3. I don't even know the XTC song, and anything by Michael MacDonald blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:17:43 PM »
A Shot in the Dark 2
Sledgehammer 1
Amanda 5
Total: 8

Walk in the Shadows 4
Take Me Home Tonight 4
Fight for Your Right to Party 5
Total: 13

Who Made Who 3
The Way It Is 3
Don't Dream It's Over 4 (was a 3, gave it +1 for brilliant use in The Stand miniseries)
Total: 10

Wasted Years 2 (maybe my least favorite popular IM song
You Can Call Me Al 1
Wild Wild Life 1
Total: 4

Master of Puppets 4
Dear God 1 (Had to check this one, didn't recognize it by name but remember hearing it)
Sweet Freedom Unknown - wasn't familiar at all and what TAC said
Total: 5
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:34:37 AM »
This one isn't even close for me.  Number 3.  The only other one I ever considered was Number 1, but I'm not a huge fan of "Shot In The Dark" (even though I really like that album). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 10:18:06 AM »
I'm gonna try the grading approach to this one.  Unfortunately, the two best songs got paired with straight up garbage.

1. Shot in the Dark (no "A") - 3; Slegehammer - 2; Amanda - 3.  Total of 8.

2. Walk in the Shadows - 3.5; Take Me Home Tonight - 3; Fight for Your Right to Party - 0.  Total of 6.5.

3. Who Made Who[m] - 2.5; The Way It Is - 2.5; Don't Dream It's Over - 4.  Total of 9.

4. Wasted Years - 4; You Can Call Me Al - 1; Wild Wild Life - 1 (didn't know it by name, so I checked it on YouTube; didn't recognize it, but what I heard sucked).  Total of 6.

5. Master of Puppets - 5; Dear God - 1.5 (same comments as re the Talking Heads sons, but this one was slightly better); Sweet Freedom - 1 (same comments as re the Talking Heads song).  Total of 7.5.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »
This one isn't even close for me.  Number 3.  The only other one I ever considered was Number 1, but I'm not a huge fan of "Shot In The Dark" (even though I really like that album).

Same here. I dislike at least one song in every group here, but Who Made Who is killer, and The Way It Is is a great Bruce Hornsby track, so no contest for me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"