Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142202 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1715 on: February 24, 2020, 05:41:43 PM »
I didn't get to see DT on this tour so I'm very much looking forward to seeing Scenes on dvd with this new presentation.
 I really hope someday, that they perhaps do a one-off The Astonishing show with a big production and release a video of it.
The fact that TA tour did not get documented is the biggest crime in DT history. Great Show, great lighting and sound, and JLB really shined.. His "moment in the sun" so to speak. ☀

preach, while I know TA wasn't a fan hit, it definitely deserved a video of the show, more so than any of their last couple and this new video IMO.  It was just too unique and honestly, very good (I know that's my opinion) to not be made, but well it's too late now.  I can't ever see them doing a one off show to do this, that's asking a lot from an aging band that doesn't really do anything truly unique and one off anymore.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1716 on: February 24, 2020, 06:51:26 PM »
It would have to be when they play a venue two nights in a row or something,  kind of like they did when they played DSOTM and recorded it for a nice Ytsejam release..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1717 on: February 24, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »
Their show is basically all laid out in a Pro Tools session. If any of you have seen their shows this tour, they're basically perfect regarding lights, video, musical tightness and overall sync. Their light show is super precise, their videos are in incredible sync with the music and basically the pacing is very well thought and planned. I understand they've planned their concerts like if they were musicals, in which they were doing the same play each and every night but with precise and perfect production. That's the way DT is now and I don't think they're going back to their old new setlist each and every night mojo. Portnoy loved doing that, but we don't really know if the rest of the guys were totally on board with that. I mean, obviously they were on board at some extent, but maybe after Portnoy's departure was a chance for JP to lay down and go like "alright, it's time to change things up a bit".

I do miss the rotating setlists and the excitement of logging into this forum to see which rare B-side they pulled off, but I'm OK with things being the way they are. They are tight AF. The show has never been as rehearsed and perfect as it is nowadays. I'm all in for the click track, because DT's music lends itself pretty well to the use of it. That being said, I do miss the the "freedom" of the MP era but hey, you can't have everything. I had my pretty big share of MP era DT shows and live releases, so I welcome the new ways for a change. Most of DT's repertoire is documented in live format by this point, so having them release (once again) material from SFAM is something that kinda makes sense. I'm not overly excited about it, but it's cool nevertheless.

Yup, and at the end of the day, they still have to play the music live, which continues to be amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1718 on: February 24, 2020, 07:05:44 PM »
It would have to be when they play a venue two nights in a row or something,  kind of like they did when they played DSOTM and recorded it for a nice Ytsejam release..

so like what they literally didn't do a few nights ago?

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1719 on: February 24, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »

It shocks me to think that anyone could look at this tour and think DT doesnt have confidence in their new material. They played quite a bit of it every single night, and even used one of the new tracks as an encore.

There's no reason for DT to have to play every song off an album on its inaugural tour. Saving something for later isn't a bad practice, and it is one DT has used many times in the past.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1720 on: February 24, 2020, 07:17:03 PM »
This will all come down to my own personal preference, but for my money, Untethered Angel and Paralyzed are undoubtedly the two weak links from D/T (both solid tunes, but nothing more, IMO), and yet one was the opener for the entire tour (even when I saw them live, I was bored with it as the opener), and the other rotated with what I consider the best song from the album.  The set list would have benefited so much had Fall into the Light been played every night, they had found a way to work in both S2N and Room 137 (those two could have been rotated), and Untethered Angel been avoided altogether. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1721 on: February 24, 2020, 07:51:39 PM »

so like what they literally didn't do a few nights ago?
Yeah,  pretty much! 
But at least for that one, they got two nights to choose from when making the dvd.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1722 on: February 24, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »
Remember, JP has the mantra "what would Rush do?"
While I often defer to you when it comes to specific DT knowledge, I kinda feel like I have to call this out just a bit as not quite being accurate.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that this was a passing comment he said off the cuff once or twice, and it is actually the fans that have run with it and created the mythos of it being the "DT mantra."  I suspect that, if asked, JP would reject that characterization out of hand.
Nope. He definitely abides by WWRD regarding the band - it's just to varying degrees. For the most part, he holds pretty true to it, but there are definitely some things that he diverges from. Don't forget that Rush is his favorite band, and he respects those guys and their organization to the nth degree. And given the success that they had on their own terms as well as how he loves the way they presented themselves in all aspects in the studio and live, he wants to closely follow the pattern they set.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1723 on: February 24, 2020, 10:02:38 PM »
 "WWRD do?" JP has good taste in music!  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1724 on: February 25, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
Remember, JP has the mantra "what would Rush do?"
While I often defer to you when it comes to specific DT knowledge, I kinda feel like I have to call this out just a bit as not quite being accurate.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that this was a passing comment he said off the cuff once or twice, and it is actually the fans that have run with it and created the mythos of it being the "DT mantra."  I suspect that, if asked, JP would reject that characterization out of hand.
Nope. He definitely abides by WWRD regarding the band - it's just to varying degrees. For the most part, he holds pretty true to it, but there are definitely some things that he diverges from. Don't forget that Rush is his favorite band, and he respects those guys and their organization to the nth degree. And given the success that they had on their own terms as well as how he loves the way they presented themselves in all aspects in the studio and live, he wants to closely follow the pattern they set.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that.  There's a difference between having huge respect for one's favorite band, and having "WWRD" as a "mantra."  Again, I think you're reading way too much into a stray comment that wasn't intended to be what you are making it out to be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1725 on: February 25, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that.  There's a difference between having huge respect for one's favorite band, and having "WWRD" as a "mantra."  Again, I think you're reading way too much into a stray comment that wasn't intended to be what you are making it out to be.

https://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/exclusive-dream-theaters-john-petrucci-talks-about-decision-to-remain-on-roadrunner-win-a-signed-film-cell
Did the signing of fellow prog band Rush play into your decision to continue with Roadrunner?

Absolutely! We’re huge Rush fans, and we operate by WWRD, What Would Rush Do, in terms of career choices, from having Hugh Syme do our artwork to always trying to get our shows to come as close to a great Rush show as possible. So the fact that they signed to Roadrunner meant a lot to us. We’re happy for Roadrunner, and it was a great move, and it’s huge. It puts us into great company with our contemporaries, and gives the label a lock on the progressive scene. That definitely played a factor.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-prog-interview-john-petrucci
In the past, it’s been mentioned that if Dream Theater are unsure about something, you use the maxim: “What would Rush do?” Does that still hold true?

Ha, yes, it does in a lot of instances. Even for us, there are iconic bands out there who we still look up to, and we may try to emulate some of the decisions they would make. You could be sitting there, trying to make a decision, and think, “Hmm. Would Geddy do that?”

I stand by my comment.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1726 on: February 25, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »
I stand by my comment.

You are entitled to.  But I think context is important, so I stand by my opinion as well.  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1727 on: February 25, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »
I stand by my comment.

You are entitled to.  But I think context is important, so I stand by my opinion as well.  :)
Well, since you're not a Rush fan..   :biggrin:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1728 on: February 26, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »
I didn't get to see DT on this tour so I'm very much looking forward to seeing Scenes on dvd with this new presentation.
 I really hope someday, that they perhaps do a one-off The Astonishing show with a big production and release a video of it.
The fact that TA tour did not get documented is the biggest crime in DT history. Great Show, great lighting and sound, and JLB really shined.. His "moment in the sun" so to speak. ☀
Agreed. The Astonishing was the tour to record and release video footage from and it saddens me greatly it didn't happen. I'm still blindly hoping for a massive DT video release documenting separate concerts from three different tours (TA, I&W and DOT/SFAM), something like Nightwish's Vehicle of Spirit or Metallica's Live Shit. It's obviously not gonna happen but a man can dream.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: February 26, 2020, 11:57:46 AM »
It would be cool if they packaged that Budokan video that never made it out with the new video, but I'm not betting on that happening.  It seems more likely that Budokan video never sees the light of day for an official release.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1730 on: February 26, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »
It would be cool if they packaged that Budokan video that never made it out with the new video, but I'm not betting on that happening.  It seems more likely that Budokan video never sees the light of day for an official release.

What video are you talking about?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: February 26, 2020, 12:27:32 PM »

https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/dream-theater-to-release-back-to-budokan-2017-live-album-soon

It is against forum rules to share any videos that made their way to the public on this, I haven't looked but I know I watched some back a year or two ago when this was actively being talked about here and thought it was awesome.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1732 on: February 26, 2020, 01:05:57 PM »

https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/dream-theater-to-release-back-to-budokan-2017-live-album-soon

It is against forum rules to share any videos that made their way to the public on this, I haven't looked but I know I watched some back a year or two ago when this was actively being talked about here and thought it was awesome.

just saying... I bought a DVD of this... so it's out there. (hope I am not in trouble  ???) ..and I haven't had a chance to watch it yet...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1733 on: February 26, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »
Did we ever get word as to why that wasn't officially released?  Because I would absolutely love to have that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1734 on: February 26, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1735 on: February 26, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
Did we ever get word as to why that wasn't officially released?  Because I would absolutely love to have that.
I'd love to have it too. As far as I remember, there were issues with the final mix, but bosk or Scotty may correct me on that.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline CB

« Reply #1737 on: February 26, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »

just saying... I bought a DVD of this... so it's out there. (hope I am not in trouble  ???) ..and I haven't had a chance to watch it yet...

You should watch it, it's good :tup

Has there ever been an official announcement about a dvd release of it? It has been filmed for japanese tv broadcast, so I guess the rights belong to WOWOW, not to DT. It would be an awesome addition to the upcoming DVD, at least it was filmed, unlike The Astonishing :'(

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1738 on: March 16, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »
Sorry guys for those that haven't seen this tour and had tickets to see it.  It was inevitable that they had to make this announcement.

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1239748290138251264

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: March 19, 2020, 07:36:35 AM »
I've been getting a trickle of emails about concerts I have to tickets to getting postponed. This sucks but it's for the best right now.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1740 on: April 08, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »
Maybe the perfect JLB replacement singer who sounds just like him exists in the Philippines

Or maybe in Chile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65Fyhw03ce0
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1741 on: April 08, 2020, 08:57:08 PM »
Maybe the perfect JLB replacement singer who sounds just like him exists in the Philippines

Or maybe in Chile

holy shit!!!! :o :o :o

Nicky Spanjaards he is not. Has about the same stage presence though.

Online pg1067

« Reply #1742 on: April 09, 2020, 09:16:34 AM »

Or maybe in Chile

Got a little dodgy during the "try to push me 'round" part of the second verse.  Would've been nice to hear/read the judges' (translated) comments.  The guy with long hair seemed to like it, and I think I saw the guy on the other end drumming along at one point.  The girl in the middle, however, seemed lost.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: April 14, 2020, 07:52:18 AM »
Man he even had the mannerisms down