Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142207 times)

Offline jadiggerdt

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1505 on: January 25, 2020, 05:04:53 AM »
Hope not so overdubbed like the Budokan show from the japan tv show. But James isnt good now. Out of pitch often. Its to heavy this touring for him.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1506 on: January 25, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »
Hope not so overdubbed like the Budokan show from the japan tv show. But James isnt good now. Out of pitch often. Its to heavy this touring for him.
I have the Budokon TV sbow.  The vocals didn't sound overdubbed at all, I think they left the vocals as is.  James sounded quite pitchy at times, and he botched "Wait for Sleep" by yelling the words. Probably the most cringeworthy part of the show, but he did ok on the most part. Still a enjoyable concert! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1507 on: January 26, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »
James has been struggling this leg...no doubt

BUT the rest of the band has really tightened things up since the American leg. Petrucci has definitely gotten the rust off on some of those old SFaM solos. I know he’s usually reliable but he’s been especially solid this leg from the videos I’ve seen, while some of those American shows were a bit...rough...around the edges.

Offline Rob24

« Reply #1508 on: January 30, 2020, 03:16:34 AM »
I have a lot of respect for James, but it's time to stop with the cognitive dissonance and be honest at this point, as the fact that lots of fans aren't put him in this situation in the first place.
Neither is it just on some bad nights when he's ill, nor is it only a product of heavy touring, nor is it "mostly great with some bumps" - he struggles to sing, plain and simple. His pitch is all over the place, pronounciation gets worse and it doesn't do the songs justice. It doesn't help him that people are being attacked for saying so.

They should have written material more comfortable in his range years ago. Currently, lots of people are paying good money for a lackluster package and I think it's safe to say that this is not professional. I'm sorry for this post.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1509 on: January 30, 2020, 04:07:56 AM »
I have a lot of respect for James, but it's time to stop with the cognitive dissonance and be honest at this point, as the fact that lots of fans aren't put him in this situation in the first place.
Neither is it just on some bad nights when he's ill, nor is it only a product of heavy touring, nor is it "mostly great with some bumps" - he struggles to sing, plain and simple. His pitch is all over the place, pronounciation gets worse and it doesn't do the songs justice. It doesn't help him that people are being attacked for saying so.

They should have written material more comfortable in his range years ago. Currently, lots of people are paying good money for a lackluster package and I think it's safe to say that this is not professional. I'm sorry for this post.

Can't say i disagree with this. I think that during the tours for ADTOE and DT12 he was very respectable, but he is struggling a lot after that. Not sure if he needs to go into training again or it's just a matter of him aging, but his voice is not in a good condition after the tour for the Astonishing. And some of his comments about feeling in the best condition sound a bit delusional to anyone who has attended a show in the recent years. It's not a matter of one night being off or him being sick. His voice sounds worse, plain and simple.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1510 on: January 30, 2020, 06:39:39 AM »
I have the Budokon TV sbow.  The vocals didn't sound overdubbed at all, I think they left the vocals as is.  James sounded quite pitchy at times, and he botched "Wait for Sleep" by yelling the words. Probably the most cringeworthy part of the show, but he did ok on the most part. Still a enjoyable concert!

The whole consert its lots of overdubs, of course James voice is too,  u can hear that

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: January 30, 2020, 07:14:10 AM »

*Shrug*  He sounded good when I saw them in November.

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #1512 on: January 30, 2020, 07:30:02 AM »
He was really good in 2019 but it seems to be different story now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: January 30, 2020, 07:53:15 AM »
I thought he was fine the two shows I saw in 2019, but it seems the complaints are rampant on this tour.  I haven't watched any video to hear for myself though.

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #1514 on: January 30, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »
This is a high quality video from the concert I attended. He does alright but clearly struggles with some notes.

https://youtu.be/kL9jYLVrmZ0

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1515 on: January 30, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »
I agree that people shouldn't ignore if his performance isn't up to standard (though the kindness rule must always apply when you're posting here), but at the same time I think his struggling is limited to some legs of some tours. Most of the time he sounds acceptable, with some off nights and better nights. Judging from clips is very difficult but I watch a lot of live clips for a lot of bands and they've gotten a lot better. I haven't liked how he sounds on older tunes in a while and I wish they would downtune but obviously I'm not them and I'm not James, so :mora:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #1516 on: January 30, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »
I think the best thing they could do in the future would be playing shorter shows. Maybe just two hours instead of 2 and a half? Even that could do wonders for James's voice in the long run. Or play more instrumentals and generally less vocally demanding songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1517 on: January 30, 2020, 08:26:56 AM »
I think the best thing they could do in the future would be playing shorter shows. Maybe just two hours instead of 2 and a half? Even that could do wonders for James's voice in the long run. Or play more instrumentals and generally less vocally demanding songs.

I've been saying this for awhile, not even just for the bands endurance but to spice things up with an upcoming prog metal band opening following by a standard 1 hour 50 minute headlining performance with a slight song rotation. 

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1518 on: January 30, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
I have a feeling this is the last time we see them performing 3,5 hours evening night format.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1519 on: January 30, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »
I know some might be against it, but I am all in for them to have opening acts or co-headlining the next tour with other bands.

The last time I saw DT sharing the stage with another band was 2009 with Zappa, and the most memorable thing from that show was the guitar/keyboard battle between JP, Jordan and Dweezil.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: January 30, 2020, 09:00:53 AM »
The last time I saw DT sharing the stage with another band was 2009 with Zappa, and the most memorable thing from that show was the guitar/keyboard battle between JP, Jordan and Dweezil.

At beacon theater?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1521 on: January 30, 2020, 09:01:23 AM »

I've also been saying this for a while. Just shortening the sets a little bit, downtuning, adding more instrumentals or improvs or even songs with long instrumental breaks in them could help James keep his voice in better shape through a long tour. I'd rather have them do this and last longer with him than have James go all in every tour and wear his voice out for good.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1522 on: January 30, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »

At beacon theater?

Yes sir  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: January 30, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »
I was in the last row of the building, so awesome.  Got a funny story about that show too but its not something to share in public here  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1524 on: January 30, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1525 on: January 30, 2020, 10:30:24 AM »
I have a feeling this is the last time we see them performing 3,5 hours evening night format.
That hasn't happened in a LOOOOOONNNNG time. At their longest, DT shows post-MP have been 2.75 hours maximum and the vast majority have been about 2.5 hours, not counting the intermission time.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1526 on: January 30, 2020, 01:23:35 PM »
Jeez now we want shorter sets? I do not yearn for the Progressive Nation days where I had to sit/stand through bands I didn't like so I could see DT do a 1:50 set. Keep the Evening With format!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1527 on: January 30, 2020, 01:26:00 PM »
Jeez now we want shorter sets? I do not yearn for the Progressive Nation days where I had to sit/stand through bands I didn't like so I could see DT do a 1:50 set. Keep the Evening With format!!
I agree. We shall not submit to short sets. No short sets. No blackmail! :D (in all seriousness though, the longer the set, the more beneficial for the music.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #1528 on: January 30, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
I don't care about random openers either, but I do care about James's voice. I believe Mangini can't play 3 hour shows with his physical style for eternity either.
Edit: I would personally prefer 10 more years of DT with a bit shorter shows than 5 years with the current set length.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: January 30, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »

I think they only played 90 minutes on those shows, I'd rather not a big tour like that unless they got even bigger bands with them to play arenas which I dont see happening at all, but I'd love a 45 minute opener and a 110 minute set general admission metal show from them.  I don't see it, they love the theater presentation it seems and having a more prog feel to the show (people sitting).

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #1530 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:33 PM »
I think they only played 90 minutes on those shows, I'd rather not a big tour like that unless they got even bigger bands with them to play arenas which I dont see happening at all, but I'd love a 45 minute opener and a 110 minute set general admission metal show from them.  I don't see it, they love the theater presentation it seems and having a more prog feel to the show (people sitting).
Isn't the entirely seated audience thing applied exclusively in North Ametica?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: January 30, 2020, 02:24:19 PM »
Isn't the entirely seated audience thing applied exclusively in North Ametica?

Maybe?  It looked like the Luna Park concert was seated even on the floor if I recall, but I know from pics I've seen on social media that there are GA shows in Europe.

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #1532 on: January 30, 2020, 02:33:08 PM »
Oh yeah, that's right about Luna Park. Here in Europe we are mostly standing though, except at arenas which of course have lots of seats.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1533 on: January 30, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »
I think they only played 90 minutes on those shows
For the majority of the shows during the Progressive Nation tour legs, this is correct, although there were a few exceptions to the rule.

That said, there's absolutely no reason why DT can't keep on doing Evening With tours for years to come. JP can once again fall back on his mantra of What Would Rush Do? As it became more difficult for Geddy, they paced the shows and included some instrumentals in key spots to give Geddy's vocals a rest. DT can do the same thing, and in some cases create new instrumental or jam sections to a few of the songs to give JL a little more time to rest his vocals and give the audience something new. It may also require not playing certain songs in the future, changing their vocal melody (as Geddy did with Circumstances in 2007) or dropping the tuning a bit to make it easier. And maybe inserting a few more off days - for the last 2 tours, Rush didn't do any shows on consecutive dates. DT may not be able to afford to space out each tour leg that much, but adding a few more off days I'm sure would help. And maybe during tour time, JL using his voice to a minimum when not on stage or warming up, which is another thing Geddy would do.

Another reason to keep the Evening With format, as opposed to taking a support band (or two) out: DT would have to pay them and cover their expenses.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: January 30, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »
The money is definitely a big reason why they wouldn't want to bring on an opening act.  I don't think DT can raise their prices so it would come out of their pockets. 

If they did start doing more instrumentation, that actually could be cool and would be a nice change of pace to what they've been doing.  Jams unique to each show would add some excitement I think.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1535 on: January 30, 2020, 04:10:36 PM »

Can't say i disagree with this. I think that during the tours for ADTOE and DT12 he was very respectable, but he is struggling a lot after that. Not sure if he needs to go into training again or it's just a matter of him aging, but his voice is not in a good condition after the tour for the Astonishing. And some of his comments about feeling in the best condition sound a bit delusional to anyone who has attended a show in the recent years. It's not a matter of one night being off or him being sick. His voice sounds worse, plain and simple.

Being totally honest, I saw him on the I&W Tour and he was absolutely outstanding, just as he was on the DT12 tour. He struggled very slightly in the odd moment on TA tour but I saw them on the opening show of the tour and, to be honest, the whole band looked a little nervous except Mangini so he was not alone. There was a lot going on and the first time they’d ever performed it.

I’m seeing them in London on Feb 21st so will see how he is, he’s never let me down before though and I’ve seen every tour from FII onwards, sometimes multiple legs of the tour. Either I am just the luckiest DT fan alive or the majority of people criticising him on here don’t actually go to DT shows and just judge off unofficial cellphone videos on YouTube. Take it from me, that’s not what DT actually sound like when you’re there.  I know there does appear to be a couple of people who have been to recent shows and say he wasn’t on top form and I’m sure that’s correct but I can only judge on my own experience and I will let you know how he was when I see them this time.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1536 on: January 30, 2020, 05:41:09 PM »
I have seen DT three times this tour. (yes lucky me!) My first tour experience with DT was The Astonishing...I was floored, not only just by DT and their sound, playing and joy doing it, but how James could pull of all the characters and I could get it. He sounded soo good.

I missed the next tour.

This tour the only thing I have noticed is he can be flat - but just certain songs. UA and BW. (I really wish they would open with something else for that reason)  I am not a singer (well except in my car  :biggrin:) and I don't understand that. The songs don't seem to be in the higher range and he hits the high notes. Can he just not hear himself? I would think it could be something that could be adjusted. And he sounds soo. good. for Scenes. He may have a few more pitchy moments, but they would be very quick and the music covers it. 

So, I think he does great. But just wondering about that one thing.

(and going again in London :metal)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1537 on: January 30, 2020, 07:38:23 PM »

Being totally honest, I saw him on the I&W Tour and he was absolutely outstanding, just as he was on the DT12 tour. He struggled very slightly in the odd moment on TA tour but I saw them on the opening show of the tour and, to be honest, the whole band looked a little nervous except Mangini so he was not alone. There was a lot going on and the first time they’d ever performed it.

I’m seeing them in London on Feb 21st so will see how he is, he’s never let me down before though and I’ve seen every tour from FII onwards, sometimes multiple legs of the tour. Either I am just the luckiest DT fan alive or the majority of people criticising him on here don’t actually go to DT shows and just judge off unofficial cellphone videos on YouTube. Take it from me, that’s not what DT actually sound like when you’re there.  I know there does appear to be a couple of people who have been to recent shows and say he wasn’t on top form and I’m sure that’s correct but I can only judge on my own experience and I will let you know how he was when I see them this time.

Yeah I’ll second this. For better or worse, cell phones don’t really reflect live sound. Any type of recording for that matter. There’s really no substitute for LIVE. I’ve seen DT on every tour since Octavarium in 2006, and LaBrie has ranged from good to spectacular. Even friends I’ve gone with who aren’t the biggest DT fans have almost always walked away from the live show impressed with LaBrie.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1538 on: January 30, 2020, 07:59:17 PM »
Yeah I’ll second this. For better or worse, cell phones don’t really reflect live sound. Any type of recording for that matter.
Without getting into a big argument over this (which has already been done ad nauseam elsewhere), recordings actually do reflect the live sound accurately. It's your perception when you're at the show that is not necessarily accurate because of the super loud volume, the adrenaline running thru your veins from excitement to be at the show, etc. So while you and others might think JL was flawless (or nearly so) at a show, a recording - whether done with high-end mics and digital set up or a cheap cassette recorder with the built in mic - is going to give you an accurate representation of how well he (and the rest of the band) did that particular night.

Don't get me wrong - nothing replaces being at the actual show and taking in the whole experience, which everyone should do if at all possible. But it's a misnomer to say that recordings "don't really reflect live sound."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1539 on: January 30, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
I agree Scott!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol