Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 144387 times)

Offline CB

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1470 on: January 15, 2020, 09:36:13 AM »
Seems he had some vocal problems at the first show of this leg, in Oberhausen he was much better. I agree with the "he even did it on purpose" remark. JLBs singing style will always be controversial.

A big part of the Obehausen show is on this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoCS5uMmxkY

I wonder if these two german guys are on this forum :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI7jVTlO7BI

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1471 on: January 15, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »
You guys are obviously all going to different DT shows than me because I’ve yet to see a show where La Brie wasn’t excellent. Performances range from very good to absolutely superb based on 25 years worth of shows.

There was some stuff that was a bit iffy on the I&W tour, but I chalk that up to a lot of things that have nothing to do with JLB's abilities as a singer.  I've seen DT 11 times since Sept. 2004* and have zero complaints about JLB's performance (with the exception of Don't Look Past Me on the I&W&B tour in Oct. 2017, which was just a bad idea all the way around).  I guess I've been fortunate in this regard.

My only (minor) complaint about DT's live shows are that they're brickwalled and, in the last five years or so, the bass hasn't stood out at all.

* - Over that span, the shows I've seen have been both very early in the tour and very late in the tour and various points in between.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #1472 on: January 15, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
You guys are obviously all going to different DT shows than me because I’ve yet to see a show where La Brie wasn’t excellent. Performances range from very good to absolutely superb based on 25 years worth of shows.
Can’t agree more!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1473 on: January 15, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
By the way, chart position has as much to do with environment than the work itself, and doesn't reflect overall sales.  At least here in the States, it's the sales THAT WEEK, compared to other releases.

So if I release my new record, and I sell 500 copies, one to each person I know on LinkedIn, and no one sells more than 350, I'm charting No. 1.   If there are 100 other acts that all have 1,000 friends and sell to each one, I don't chart at all.  Whether my previous record sold 1 copy or 1,000,000 has no impact. So there's no way of telling "waxing" or "waning" from chart position. 

(There are also gimmicks too. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that's in part why some releases are "two-disk sets" and the second disk is a video, a documentary, and a EPK.)

Offline Blokhut

« Reply #1474 on: January 15, 2020, 01:38:53 PM »
:rollin

Also, just looked and they've been playing that same venue for a long time now in the Netherlands.  Not sure there's any indication from that as being less popular these days.

They used to play several times in Ahoy, Rotterdam (e.g. the Chaos in Motion DVD). That venue has a general gig-capacity of 9000, more than Afas, which is around 6000. Afas was pretty much sold out i guess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1475 on: January 15, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »
Probably a perfect place for a pirate to play.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: January 15, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »
 :lol

Offline Nofire

« Reply #1477 on: January 15, 2020, 03:55:49 PM »
Just got back home from the 2nd Stockholm gig. The venue was maybe 2/3 full (not sure the max capacity but "large theater-ish"). It's a bit sad to see the crowds getting smaller, but I guess a Wednesday gig mostly draws people from Stockholm, and they also played there the night before. The crowd was not very animated to begin with. James even remarked that we were too polite, which made me feel bad for the band, although my knees are now sore from drumming so hard on them :-) It got better though, and during TSCO, everyone stood up and sang along.

I have been staying away from the forum since the firs NA tour started last year, so I've been mostly spoiler free, but the first set felt quite short, and unimaginative. 4 new songs and 2 deep cuts from the late 00's felt a bit odd. Although I was glad to hear ANTR live since I missed the BC&SL tour.

I was glad to hear James have a much better night compared to the TA and I&W&B shows in Stockholm. TA was really bad, he couldn't keep pitch on the softer parts at all, but tonight he was great, apart from not being able to reach the screams in UA. SFAM was great all around, especially FT, BTL and Home. My favorite tracks off the album that never seem to get played otherwise. FF was epic as usual! But I must say that it was almost a let down to not go from the record scratch sound at the end into TGP as an encore. I would have needed to call for a diaper in row 1 if that would have happened! AWE is a nice song but a very strange encore, especially as the only encore. It would have been a perfect set 1 closer, but now I left the venue wanting something more to tie it all together.

I must also say  that this playing an entire album or close to it-thing can easily be put to rest as far as I'm concerned. Especially if it's jammed into a regular album tour, where you know that the new material will take up a large chunk of the set anyway. For me, the exitement of seeing a band live has much to do with how a well constructed setlist can put certain songs in a new perspective, and I love the unpredictability that a mixed setlist presents. On this tour, we got new songs, all all of SFAM in a very predictable order, and two recent-ish deep cuts. All-in-all, probably the most boring setlist I've seen them play in my book. Albeit a very well-performed setlist as always.
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline Blokhut

« Reply #1478 on: January 16, 2020, 01:15:49 PM »
I was hoping that they would play something special during the 2nd night in the same city, just like the old days. A rarely played song, or a cover song, something like that. TGP would be nice indeed

Online geeeemo

« Reply #1479 on: January 16, 2020, 01:45:49 PM »
I was hoping that they would play something special during the 2nd night in the same city, just like the old days. A rarely played song, or a cover song, something like that. TGP would be nice indeed

me too...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1480 on: January 17, 2020, 07:18:55 PM »
With the talk of James and Untethered Angels, I just came across this video from the Houston show last year. He pretty much nails the ending.

https://youtu.be/i-odBIV77Jo?t=244
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1481 on: January 18, 2020, 02:13:10 AM »
With the talk of James and Untethered Angels, I just came across this video from the Houston show last year. He pretty much nails the ending.

https://youtu.be/i-odBIV77Jo?t=244

I watched this clip full and gladly James put amazing performance that night. Such a great control in his voice and effortlessly hit the high notes.
Sure he must be tired for now as he perfoms in Europe and I think he saves his energy for the DVD record in London.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1482 on: January 19, 2020, 05:44:29 AM »
"I almost choked on my spit during that last song. Has that ever happened to you? How fucked up is that?" -James

I'd say SFAM almost sounds better live than on the record these days. John's guitar tone is money in Through Her Eyes, and vocal melodies have an added punch.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1483 on: January 19, 2020, 07:37:20 AM »
"I almost choked on my spit during that last song. Has that ever happened to you? How fucked up is that?" -James

I'd say SFAM almost sounds better live than on the record these days. John's guitar tone is money in Through Her Eyes, and vocal melodies have an added punch.

Interesting, he said that exact same line in St. Louis last year and I think I posted about that. Funny thing is, he did sound like he choked on his own spit. As someone on this forum has already stated, he's got the hardest job in the band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1484 on: January 19, 2020, 07:41:07 AM »
I enjoyed the hell out of Scenes when I saw DT in October, but there is no way I can say that it is better live now than on record.  The feel and vibe of the original record, and hell, the original tour in 2000, can just never be recaptured.  They are doing a great job with it on the current tour, but the original record and tour were lightning in a bottle.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1485 on: January 21, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »
I didn't get to see DT on this tour so I've watched a few YouTube videos. The band sounds great and looks like their having a good time, but that mic stand looks rediculous!  I hope they retire that thing soon because it belongs in a museum! 💀
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1486 on: January 21, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »
...but that mic stand looks rediculous! 

???  No way! 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1487 on: January 21, 2020, 12:02:10 PM »
I didn't get to see DT on this tour so I've watched a few YouTube videos. The band sounds great and looks like their having a good time, but that mic stand looks rediculous!

I thought so too, although I didn't quite see 'red', but it did look better in person. I fits this tour quite alright.

On the subject on the tombstones during Through Her Eyes, did anyone else think it was peculiar that there was not one for Allan Holdsworth? Knowing how highly JP thought of him, I would've guessed that he'd be up there instead of Randy Rhoads, for example. Or Zappa even (I guess MM is a fan?).
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1488 on: January 21, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »
...but that mic stand looks rediculous! 

???  No way!
It just seems a bit over the top and bulky.  I can allready see it on a dvd release, every time we see JLB singing, that creepy skull is gonna be staring at us in the face..   :lol
They are planning on filming in London right?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1489 on: January 21, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »
I didn't get to see DT on this tour so I've watched a few YouTube videos. The band sounds great and looks like their having a good time, but that mic stand looks rediculous!  I hope they retire that thing soon because it belongs in a museum! 💀

SO DO YOU!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1490 on: January 21, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »

SO DO YOU!
THANKS MAN!!! :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: January 21, 2020, 12:46:15 PM »
 :lol I like the mic stand personally

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1492 on: January 21, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »
BTW, I assume the mike stand will get retired after this tour since it's specifically based on the cover of DOT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1493 on: January 21, 2020, 01:43:12 PM »
I would imagine so.  I wonder if they (or James) will keep it in storage, or if it will find its way to an auction site.  But I would think they would keep the infinity one and use that again at some point.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1494 on: January 21, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »
I would imagine so.  I wonder if they (or James) will keep it in storage, or if it will find its way to an auction site.  But I would think they would keep the infinity one and use that again at some point.

Would love to get my hands on one of JLB's stands.  :metal

Offline CB

« Reply #1495 on: January 21, 2020, 04:43:10 PM »
DT was asked to put together a mixtape that would be perfect to prepare for their live show, and this is the result :)

https://www.eventim.de/magazin/rock-pop/zum-tourstart-dream-theater-haben-uns-ein-traumhaftes-metal-mixtape-gemacht/

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #1496 on: January 22, 2020, 01:15:27 AM »
Do you think this is something concerning the tour?
Maybe a collaboration for the DVD? 

https://www.facebook.com/126844294034258/posts/3021117374606921/?app=fbl

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: January 22, 2020, 06:56:39 AM »
I'd be surprised if they collaborated again for the new DVD.  I'd imagine that's something else, but I'm not sure.  Maybe honorary degrees?  Just guessing, I have no idea but my gut would not say it's similar to what they did from Breaking the Fourth Wall.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1498 on: January 22, 2020, 07:05:24 AM »
Honorary Degrees sounds possible.

Seeing them play at Berklee was an awesome experience. The students were so into it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #1499 on: January 22, 2020, 07:49:22 AM »
Was at the concert in Trondheim, Norway on monday. Really enjoyed it! The band, overall, was in top form - particularily JP, the man is just a beast; he has such a total command over the instrument that it is a joy to watch. James struggled though. It was easy to hear unfortunatly. I am a little concerned for his voice actually, and wonder how much more touring he can take in the upcoming years - he is not getting any younger, and his organic "instrument" will be more and more difficult to maintain.

Offline CB

« Reply #1500 on: January 22, 2020, 09:36:54 AM »
He was sick in december, I wonder if his voice is still affected. Singing for 3 hours almost every night won't help, I'm a bit worried about the london shows (dvd)...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1501 on: January 22, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
I'd be surprised if they collaborated again for the new DVD.  I'd imagine that's something else, but I'm not sure.  Maybe honorary degrees?  Just guessing, I have no idea but my gut would not say it's similar to what they did from Breaking the Fourth Wall.

Agree and think honorary degrees would be pretty cool (esp. if JP, JM and MP all show up together in person for it!).

Either that, or in 2022, when my kid hopefully starts at Berklee, they'll be doing some sort of something that I can get in on.   :biggrin:

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1502 on: January 22, 2020, 12:09:55 PM »
Oslo yesterday. James struggles very hard with the high notes and it doesn't will be any better over the years. The band on the other hand is absolutely top notch. Sfam er killer live

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #1503 on: January 23, 2020, 02:50:13 AM »
Oslo yesterday. James struggles very hard with the high notes and it doesn't will be any better over the years. The band on the other hand is absolutely top notch. Sfam er killer live
I love and respect JLB, but I think that they should have tuned down SFAM like they did for the I&W tour.  There's nothing wrong with it, many artists do the same. It would be better for everyone.
It must be hard for him to do the great job he still does while receiving all of those negative comments.
There's no DT without JLB for me, so I hope they'll work one day on the singing part, accepting the fact that he cannot sing LIVE like he used to do 20 years ago.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #1504 on: January 23, 2020, 08:56:12 AM »
He was sick in december, I wonder if his voice is still affected. Singing for 3 hours almost every night won't help, I'm a bit worried about the london shows (dvd)...

I wouldn't be too worried about the London shows as they will probably make amendments to the vocals in the post production.