Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142194 times)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1225 on: October 07, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »
Awesome, hef!

:tup

Triple Awesome Hef!  I've got to go to those fan club meetings next time....

Looking forward to Asheville this week!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1226 on: October 07, 2019, 10:27:56 AM »
Awesome, hef!

:tup

Triple Awesome Hef!  I've got to go to those fan club meetings next time....

Looking forward to Asheville this week!
Nice!  Let us know how it goes!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: October 07, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1228 on: October 07, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention: James's new sleeve tattoo.  It's INCREDIBLE.  I know he posted pics online, but in person, it's ridiculous.

My kids also commented on someone having the balls to have themselves tattooed on...themselves. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: October 09, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »
Tonight’s show is going great; guys are tight as usual and giving it everything they’ve got.

I’ve got to say tho, the people sitting down are sapping some energy for certain. I’ve been to a lot of shows and not seen anything quite like it. We’ll see if it gets better second set.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online geeeemo

« Reply #1230 on: October 09, 2019, 10:06:02 PM »
I just was at a Kamleot concert last weekend. About half the crowd were standing. The singer for the first warm-up ban, in a friendly and fun way said. Hey! It's a metal concert!, let's stand up and rock! (Paraphrase). Everyone stood after that. I feel it is awkward for people to sit when they are right in front of the band. I feel embarrassed as I think the bands would Much Prefer the audience up and giving energy.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: October 10, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »
I just was at a Kamleot concert last weekend. About half the crowd were standing. The singer for the first warm-up ban, in a friendly and fun way said. Hey! It's a metal concert!, let's stand up and rock! (Paraphrase). Everyone stood after that. I feel it is awkward for people to sit when they are right in front of the band. I feel embarrassed as I think the bands would Much Prefer the audience up and giving energy.

Exactly how I felt.  James even made a comment about the venue staff handing out quaaludes prior to the show  :lol... the first time it was funny, the second time (right before Home) he seemed like he wanted them to get up.  I'm serious when I say this... mid venue from the front row (I'm assuming the Meet & Greet fans) back to the 8th row was a solid wall of sitting people.  A few got up during certain songs in the second set and most all of them were up during AWE (which was awesome btw... James NAILED it), but for the majority of the concert, the first 8 or 9 rows sat.  The band didn't let it get to them that I could visibly see because they were giving it everything they had all night, but it sapped a bit of my energy honestly.

An exception to what I said above was one young girl (9-10 maybe) standing in that sea of seated people giving it everything she had!  Singing, mimicking James' hand motions, a little head banging and jumping up and down... she was feeling it!  About half way through ANTR, I started to just feed off her energy and my wife's energy and enjoyed the rest of the show.  I told her Dad (I assume it was her Dad) during intermission that it was good to see the next generation learning how to enjoy the rock show  :biggrin:

It was a great show.

Venue was maybe 3/5ths full... probably slightly less than half.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: October 10, 2019, 10:02:28 AM »

3/5 is slightly more than half  :biggrin:

Battle Beast?  Was this after he asked if any Vikings were in the hall?  :rollin  The NYC show was GA so everyone was standing, but I don't see how you could sit for this type of music.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #1233 on: October 10, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »

Battle Beast?  Was this after he asked if any Vikings were in the hall?  :rollin  The NYC show was GA so everyone was standing, but I don't see how you could sit for this type of music.

Yes Battle Beast lol! It was all sitting but still...its a total buzz kill to sit at a rock concert! We had GA at The Astonishing and I wouldn't have wanted to sit even for that. :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: October 10, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »
I'm surprised there was a GA show for TA

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: October 10, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »

Yeah, yeah  :lol... 2/5ths was my intended fraction.  If the fraction/number I'm looking at on any given day isn't a Debt-to-Income ratio or doesn't have a $ in front of it my mind doesn't pay much attention to it.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: October 10, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
damn, was hoping you meant 3/5 and more than half.  That kind of sucks to not have a good attendance.

The NJ show has all the worst of the most expensive seats still available for tomorrow night.  I'm just not going to pay $80 to see the same show for a 3rd time.  I've got other concert plans for my money this weekend for something I haven't seen.  If DT had changed set 1 a bit I would have gone.  So unless a front row ticket pops up tomorrow at face value, I think this is the first DT local show I am choosing to miss since I've been a fan. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1237 on: October 10, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
damn, was hoping you meant 3/5 and more than half.  That kind of sucks to not have a good attendance.

The NJ show has all the worst of the most expensive seats still available for tomorrow night.  I'm just not going to pay $80 to see the same show for a 3rd time.  I've got other concert plans for my money this weekend for something I haven't seen.  If DT had changed set 1 a bit I would have gone.  So unless a front row ticket pops up tomorrow at face value...

That was exactly what made me decide to go and I don't regret it one bit.

Some cheap seats had opened up before the show and when my wife and I were walking around on the upper floor, an usher said, "Hey, would you like to exchange your ticket for third row?" not knowing that we were just killing time, walking around, not that we had cheap seats.

So I could have got 3rd row seats for 25 bucks but shit, front row for 80 was still worth it.

Offline jerzydevil

« Reply #1238 on: October 10, 2019, 06:33:26 PM »
Based on ticket sales for the rest of the shows, I doubt the Blues had anything to do with the lower attendance in St. Louis.  Most of the shows I've been tracking have been half full at best.  Below is the current ticket availability for Albany on Saturday, as an example.  Pretty poor and this is common for most shows I'm seeing.  I think fans are disappointed that this leg has the same set list as the last leg and didn't want to see another full album show.

Nice review, hunnus2000. :tup :tup

The band was definitely on fire at the St Louis show, and I can't help but wonder if the place would have been more packed had the Blues home opener not been the same night.  La Brie mentioned the Blues game at one point, so the band was at least aware that they were competing with the home opener next door of a team that won the Cup.  I sometimes worry that a less than jam packed crowd will make the venue not want to book them in the future, but it sounds like we did good all things considered (especially since it sounds like all other cities are not selling out).

Mangini live is definitely something to behold.  The power and energy he plays with is pretty crazy.  :metal :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1239 on: October 10, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »
I really don't get the logistics of this 2nd leg.  I'm not complaining - I'm very happy they came back and I'm totally happy to see Scenes again. 

But I do think it's odd that they're playing cities that are so close to where they played the first time around.  Maybe they thought they were going to hit places like the Pacific Northwest but it didn't work out with the booking.. but in that case, I'd have thought they'd at least change the first leg some.  Maybe bring out the other DOT songs so those who saw them in the spring would have seen the full album by coming back in the fall.   Then again, they are playing smaller markets in general and perhaps in some cities (not all), they just weren't going to draw a huge crowd anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1240 on: October 10, 2019, 07:54:46 PM »
Unless a lot of fans played the "wait and see what the set list is before buying tickets" game, I am not sure how much impact the set list being pretty much the same as the first US leg had, with At Wit's End replacing Pull Me Under being the only change, had since I would think Scenes being played in full is still the main attraction. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1241 on: October 10, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »
Had they come to Boston again, honestly, I might have skipped it. Changing out one song isn't worth the hassle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jerzydevil

« Reply #1242 on: October 10, 2019, 08:39:50 PM »
I flew to LA to see them in March on the last leg and the only reason I'm going here in Phoenix on this leg is because I bought tickets before we knew the set list and I got 2nd row seats (vs balcony in March).  That said, had I known when the tickets went on sale that the set list would be virtually identical, I probably wouldn't have purchased a ticket.  The guys always put on a great show, but I'm getting tired of the full album tribute shows.

Online NoFred

« Reply #1243 on: October 10, 2019, 09:47:30 PM »
Unless a lot of fans played the "wait and see what the set list is before buying tickets" game, I am not sure how much impact the set list being pretty much the same as the first US leg had, with At Wit's End replacing Pull Me Under being the only change, had since I would think Scenes being played in full is still the main attraction.

I waited. Clearing out the first set would have been a sale for a lot of first leg attendees. We love seeing the band, and SFaM, but literally the same set list sans encore? Not enough :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: October 11, 2019, 07:16:14 AM »
I managed to get some cheap seats last time around.  I sat in the last row on the balcony in NJ and the last row on the floor in NYC.  I just don't see those tickets available for cheap this time and that's because I waited for the setlist before buying tickets when they went on sale.  I honestly thought there would be a few more changes since they played different songs in Europe that they haven't played in the US recently (I've never seen them play Peruvian Skies out of the 19 times I've seen them).  I'm not sure if its the promoters or the band who doesn't seem to understand their prog audience is very fickle. (Including myself of course).  We don't want to pay to see the same shows, well I did twice and enjoyed them, but you're hitting the same markets and it just doesn't work.  It didn't work for TA and it's not working for SFAM. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1245 on: October 11, 2019, 09:42:23 AM »
I would imagine that the virtually identical setlist and the proximity to stops from the first leg are having quite a bit to do with the low numbers.  I came THIS close to not going to the Raleigh show, since I had gone to the Charlotte show on the first leg.  If I had know then that there would be a second leg with a stop in Raleigh, I would not have gone to THAT show.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1246 on: October 11, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »

Since we knew before tickets went on sale that they were doing all of SFAM again, we knew that about half the show would be the same, and I think it was pretty reasonable to infer that there would be at least some of the rest of the show unchanged.  But for me, the two biggest factors were that they're playing in Riverside on a Monday night.  Riverside is about 40 miles from my office, and traffic going to Riverside from Orange County on a week night is awful, and I probably wouldn't get home until around midnight.  A different set list might make that more palatable or, if they were playing at, e.g., The Grove in Anaheim, I'd probably be going.  I also thought about flying out to one of the Arizona shows (and particularly the 10/26 show, which is the actual 20th anniversary), but I'm not going to do that for basically the same set list.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jerzydevil

« Reply #1247 on: October 11, 2019, 01:05:57 PM »
If you change your mind about Tucson, I have 2 front row center seats for sale.  Literally best seats in the house.  Will sell them to you at face.

Since we knew before tickets went on sale that they were doing all of SFAM again, we knew that about half the show would be the same, and I think it was pretty reasonable to infer that there would be at least some of the rest of the show unchanged.  But for me, the two biggest factors were that they're playing in Riverside on a Monday night.  Riverside is about 40 miles from my office, and traffic going to Riverside from Orange County on a week night is awful, and I probably wouldn't get home until around midnight.  A different set list might make that more palatable or, if they were playing at, e.g., The Grove in Anaheim, I'd probably be going.  I also thought about flying out to one of the Arizona shows (and particularly the 10/26 show, which is the actual 20th anniversary), but I'm not going to do that for basically the same set list.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: October 11, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
I've been refreshing to see if anything pops up and nothing for the NJ show tonight.  Not a huge loss, but was curious if a good seat would show up.  The ticketing for this isn't done through ticketmaster but the venue itself so maybe they didn't hold back any seats.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1249 on: October 11, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »
Based on ticket sales for the rest of the shows, I doubt the Blues had anything to do with the lower attendance in St. Louis.  Most of the shows I've been tracking have been half full at best.  Below is the current ticket availability for Albany on Saturday, as an example.  Pretty poor and this is common for most shows I'm seeing.  I think fans are disappointed that this leg has the same set list as the last leg and didn't want to see another full album show.

Nice review, hunnus2000. :tup :tup

The band was definitely on fire at the St Louis show, and I can't help but wonder if the place would have been more packed had the Blues home opener not been the same night.  La Brie mentioned the Blues game at one point, so the band was at least aware that they were competing with the home opener next door of a team that won the Cup.  I sometimes worry that a less than jam packed crowd will make the venue not want to book them in the future, but it sounds like we did good all things considered (especially since it sounds like all other cities are not selling out).

Mangini live is definitely something to behold.  The power and energy he plays with is pretty crazy.  :metal :metal

Thats completely opposite from the Mesa, AZ show. But it's probably the same amount of tickets sold, compared to veneue size.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1250 on: October 12, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
I've been refreshing to see if anything pops up and nothing for the NJ show tonight.  Not a huge loss, but was curious if a good seat would show up.  The ticketing for this isn't done through ticketmaster but the venue itself so maybe they didn't hold back any seats.

I'd have been there regardless, but Flying Colors announced that date first and it was only my third time seeing them as opposed to 40-something for Dream Theater. Selfishly glad to know there weren't many surprises this time around.

Offline jerzydevil

« Reply #1251 on: October 12, 2019, 10:19:22 AM »
When I looked the other day, Mesa had about 600 seats left in a 1600 seat venue and that place has sold out each of the previous times DT has played there.  I'll be there, though, 2nd row in front of JP.   :metal

Thats completely opposite from the Mesa, AZ show. But it's probably the same amount of tickets sold, compared to veneue size.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1252 on: October 12, 2019, 09:41:26 PM »
Just got back from the Albany show. James saved it for the SFAM set and he was outstanding. Sound was very very loud but well balanced. Crowd was pretty dead for the 1st set unfortunately.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1253 on: October 13, 2019, 06:39:42 AM »
Didn’t post a lot because I was tired, but wow JP’s sound is so fricken massive. Just skull-crushing. It’s amazing, those guys still whip through stuff like TDOE like it’s walking on the beach.

In my previous post I mentioned the crowd being pretty dead during the first set and it’s probably a mistake not to include any classic crowd favorites during that time. Part of the problem is probably not everyone knows the newest songs (my wife and daughter were guilty of that too) but man did everyone come alive for SFAM.

DT CRUSHED it. There’s something magical about that album and I&W that their other albums don’t quite capture. Possibly the melodies/vocal melodies and a lot of iconic JP parts? Maybe just the songwriting on those albums is so strong.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1254 on: October 13, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
For those who have seen both legs, is it as loud this time around than last? I'm going on Tuesday and hope they turned the volume down from 5000.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1255 on: October 14, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
For those who have seen both legs, is it as loud this time around than last? I'm going on Tuesday and hope they turned the volume down from 5000.

I saw them in Nashville and the mix/sound/loudness was perfect. In St. Louis.....it was pretty loud. They sounded good....but man was it loud. The venue's played a large role as I had heard that the Tennessee Performing Arts Center was really conducive to a concert....and it was.

I had seen DT at the Stifel (then Peabody) for the Astonishing tour and they were pretty loud then as well. I just don't know that the Stifel is the best place for a Rock Concert?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1256 on: October 14, 2019, 09:16:54 AM »
I saw them in Charlotte on the first leg, and it was one of the loudest shows I've ever attended.  Like, really botheringly loud.

I didn't feel that way after the Raleigh show on the second leg.  I mean, it was plenty loud, but it wasn't overbearingly loud.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #1257 on: October 14, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »
I saw them the first leg in LA and in Milwaukee.  LA was too loud. I couldn't hear James half the time. (The vibe was fabulous tho'!)  Milwaukee was much less loud...then I wanted to turn it up on Home (the vibe less good) .... I have seen them the the Fox in Oakland, Anaheim and Grand Sierra in Reno for The Astonishing.  They were all perfect as far as sound.  For the Reno show coming up, I hope James isn't drowned out.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1258 on: October 14, 2019, 07:05:08 PM »
This is from a poster on one of the DT Facebook groups, so I don't know if everybody will be able to see it here, but this guy recorded a great quality video of AWE live a couple days ago :metal
https://www.facebook.com/julio.c.granados.77/videos/2690504970962378/
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1259 on: October 15, 2019, 12:42:23 AM »

It will be worse and worse for LaBrie over the tour. SFAM is not the hardest album to sing so that is no problem for him. It is worse with the opening Untethered Angel where he struggles max. The last clips I have seen are painful. See the logic that the arenas are half-filled. Almost as you consider dropping the first set because you have seen this many times before. 3 times this summer. :angry: :metal