Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142260 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1190 on: October 03, 2019, 07:50:17 PM »
While I would personally dread that, I wouldn't be surprised if they did at this point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1191 on: October 03, 2019, 07:51:21 PM »
If that is what it takes for them to freaking bust out The Glass Prison and Misunderstood again, I am on board.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: October 03, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »
But then they'll just play disc 2.  I'd love to see Disc 1 live, I could live without seeing the full song SDOIT though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1193 on: October 03, 2019, 08:05:02 PM »
Honestly, I don't need The Glass Prison.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1194 on: October 03, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »

I don't need you.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: October 03, 2019, 10:51:55 PM »

I don't need SDoiT played through in its entirety ever again. Even on the CD I can't listen to the whole thing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1196 on: October 04, 2019, 09:09:48 AM »

I don't need you.
And I will never be open again.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1198 on: October 04, 2019, 02:52:09 PM »

I'd go to that concert in a heartbeat because it might be my only chance to hear Dissappear live.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1199 on: October 04, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
I can't imagine that they'd do all of SDOIT the album.  That would leave virtually no time for anything else other than an encore and maybe one or two other songs.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they did all of SDOIT the song, which I'd be happy with for the same reason I loved getting all of SFAM on this tour:  I missed the tour for the album (in the case of SDOIT, I had a good reason).

If they did do the whole album, TGD and Disappear (the latter of which I've fortunately avoided so far) would give a nice opportunity for a bathroom/beer break.   ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: October 04, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »
Alternate between Disc 1 and Disc 2 at every show :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1201 on: October 04, 2019, 09:54:22 PM »
Please no more anniversary shows or full album performances.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1202 on: October 04, 2019, 09:58:23 PM »
Alternate between Disc 1 and Disc 2 at every show :lol

I'd love this to happen. :) It probably won't, but I would love it.  If they can't do that, or don't think it would be a good idea, I'd settle for rotating a bunch of the songs over like 4 shows or something.  And I'd kill to hear Disappear.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1203 on: October 05, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
Well we were at the concert in St. Louis on Wednesday and the band was on fire!
Our seats were in Pit-C, last on the row, house left in front of JM. Now when you get that close in between the speakers, you don't get the full brunt of the sound and you do comprise some sound quality in exchange for seeing the them up close and personal. I keep telling myself that I need to buy seats in the middle of the theater or balcony to get the full effect.

So here are some thoughts:

I thought JLB stole the show. Sure, he missed a couple of high notes (which is to be expected) but his range was awesome. For instance, during BSW when it calls for the high note at the end of the song, he nailed it and when I say "nailed it" he went straight for the high note instead of winding up to eventually get that note if that makes any sense.

JP is always enjoyable to watch and he eventually made to our side and made eye contact with a nod of the head in acknowledgment. At one point while he was on the back riser on our side soloing we again made eye contact and put my fist in the air and he responded with that snarly face he does in the UA video. It was quite humorous.

JM was slow headbanging on one of the songs so who says he's low energy? :)

My wife can dance to anything and JR actually looked over at her and smiled and gave a quick wave.

Most of the crowd stood for the entire show.

Unfortunately, the show was not sold out and I think it was because of opening season for the St. Louis Blues who were playing right next door and they were raising the banner that night.

My goodness - MM plays with such power!!

Last thing - We did the meet and greet which was expectedly underwhelming. We did it because we thought what the heck. I knew what to expect but when it came time for autographs, a couple of band members looked and acted like they would rather be anywhere else. I understand and don't take offense but I could feel it.

But you can tell that the stage is where they'd rather be cause they looked like they were having a blast!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1204 on: October 05, 2019, 08:45:54 AM »
Nice review, hunnus2000. :tup :tup

The band was definitely on fire at the St Louis show, and I can't help but wonder if the place would have been more packed had the Blues home opener not been the same night.  La Brie mentioned the Blues game at one point, so the band was at least aware that they were competing with the home opener next door of a team that won the Cup.  I sometimes worry that a less than jam packed crowd will make the venue not want to book them in the future, but it sounds like we did good all things considered (especially since it sounds like all other cities are not selling out).

Mangini live is definitely something to behold.  The power and energy he plays with is pretty crazy.  :metal :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1205 on: October 05, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention was the end of Finally Free when Mangini freaked out on the drums. He started doing some really bizarre stuff, odd time signatures, and it actually briefly killed the momentum. He did the same thing last Spring when I saw them but this time, he seemed to have it more planned. Last spring, it was so out there I was slightly disappointed. This time after his weirdness, he went back to more traditional, more metal beats and left us all with our faces melted but for a brief moment, me and the guy next to me shared a brief glance like, "Uh, this isn't flowing."

Also at the end of the first set, Mike really turned into the genie and crossed his arms and descended below his drums. What a weird, hilarious dude.  :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1206 on: October 05, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »
Sounds like St. Louis was a blast.

I thought Mangini was just... undeniable at the shows I saw.  Whatever he was doing during Finally Free was cool with me.

JP is amazing too... whenever I see DT, I remember all over again how awesome he is.  For some reason Yngwie came up to the other day and he's got nothing on JP.  (Plus he can't be bothered to get a real band or singer). 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1207 on: October 05, 2019, 10:38:11 AM »

how is the visit to the US tour now. Are the shows sold out? how many per show? 1000-1500?

I can't speak for others, but last round they sold out in central NJ to about ~1500, and it looks like their return to central Jersey (about 30 minutes away from the venue from earlier this year) isn't selling as well.  Maybe 1/2 sold, all the best and worst seats, none of the mid tier.  I checked yesterday because I've been on the fence about going for a 3rd time.  I'm leaning towards not going.

I'd have been there next week in a heartbeat BUT Flying Colors announced first so I got tickets to that.

Still bummed about that these conflicts don't usually happen to me very often so I have to suck it up and deal. One place I've never seen them before is the State Theatre. Also, I'd be there to hear more songs from Distance Over Time. 

If one of these shows was in the afternoon, I'd have attempted to make both.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1208 on: October 05, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »

Yeah, I know exactly what you are saying. I was a very vocal critic about them playing Scenes, but holy shit, it was awesome!!

Now we just need a tour in three years where they play all of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence... :metal :metal

I'd sign up for that but it would never happen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1209 on: October 05, 2019, 05:54:19 PM »

JP is amazing too... whenever I see DT, I remember all over again how awesome he is.   

Yep.  It's almost easy to take him for granted at this point, but then you see him live and realize he is not a mortal like the rest of us.  :coolio :hat

Now we just need a tour in three years where they play all of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence... :metal :metal

Probably not.  I'd love to see them bust out just Disc 1 of Six Degrees, which has gotten far less love over the years live than Disc 2.  The Along for the Ride tour showed that they have no problem pulling out a big chunk of an album to feature (as opposed to having to pull out the entire thing), so we can dare to dream... :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1210 on: October 05, 2019, 06:30:13 PM »

JP is amazing too... whenever I see DT, I remember all over again how awesome he is.   

Yep.  It's almost easy to take him for granted at this point, but then you see him live and realize he is not a mortal like the rest of us.  :coolio :hat

:metal  When I saw him on G3 it was like that too.  His set was crushing.

Probably not.  I'd love to see them bust out just Disc 1 of Six Degrees, which has gotten far less love over the years live than Disc 2.  The Along for the Ride tour showed that they have no problem pulling out a big chunk of an album to feature (as opposed to having to pull out the entire thing), so we can dare to dream... :biggrin:
[/quote]

I'll be dreaming along with you. :)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1211 on: October 05, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »
Glad to see people are enjoying seeing SFAM again. I did say a while back that a lot of the naysayers were forgetting just how amazing it is live and would probably be won over. I only say this as I was totally blown away by how powerful it sounded when they pulled out a few songs for the AFTR tour and it just blew away everything else they played on the night (and that was a hell of a show already!). I’d totally forgotten just how great SFAM is.

As for SDOIT, I don’t expect them to do a tour where they play that album in full or any other album to be honest. I think Images and Scenes are THE two seminal albums of their career and deserve this treatment. I’m not sure any of the other albums would be a huge draw in terms of ticket sales to warrant using up a huge chunk of the show. Not saying they won’t mark the anniversary of any other albums at all but I don’t think you’ll get the whole album played and certainly not a whole tour where they do that.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1212 on: October 06, 2019, 12:06:34 AM »
Glad to see people are enjoying seeing SFAM again. I did say a while back that a lot of the naysayers were forgetting just how amazing it is live and would probably be won over. I only say this as I was totally blown away by how powerful it sounded when they pulled out a few songs for the AFTR tour and it just blew away everything else they played on the night (and that was a hell of a show already!). I’d totally forgotten just how great SFAM is.

I'd like to say that I said the exact same thing, but I was probably just thinking it. :)  But you're of course right - there is something incredibly powerful about Scenes live.  It doesn't seem to matter which songs they pull out - whenever they do, it's just incredible.  Getting to hear the whole thing is especially special indeed.

As for SDOIT, I don’t expect them to do a tour where they play that album in full or any other album to be honest. I think Images and Scenes are THE two seminal albums of their career and deserve this treatment. I’m not sure any of the other albums would be a huge draw in terms of ticket sales to warrant using up a huge chunk of the show. Not saying they won’t mark the anniversary of any other albums at all but I don’t think you’ll get the whole album played and certainly not a whole tour where they do that.

I think you're right.  I would personally love a Six Degrees tour, but know the chance of it happening is almost non-existent.  I'd surely love them to celebrate it in some way.  Maybe one night gets The Glass Prison, Goodnight Kiss, and Solitary Shell.  The next night, Blind Faith, War, and Test.  And so on.  You'd make the people who don't want another full album tour happy.  You'd make Six Degrees fans happy.  You'd make the fans who want setlist changes happy. And you'd have plenty of time to play lots of other songs.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1213 on: October 06, 2019, 04:46:16 AM »
I think they probably will acknowledge it in some way especially as they rarely play anything off it so it is due a bit more love. I think there’s an outside chance you’d get the title track if it was an Evening With show but more likely a couple of other songs or some parts of the title track. I really don’t get why The Glass Prison is never played. It’s not one of my absolute favourites but it does seem to be a popular song amongst fans in general. JP also said, from memory, that the crowd reaction to that song was one of the inspirations for doing Train Of Thought as they wanted to do a whole album of all out metal songs that would would be great live.

Even without TGP though, Misunderstood is a very accessible song that would be good live I would think.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1214 on: October 06, 2019, 07:19:47 AM »
While I love that they brought in 'At Wit's End', I wish they would have kept in 'Lie' and 'Peruvian Skies' instead of playing the same set they've already played in the U.S.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1215 on: October 06, 2019, 07:29:11 AM »
While I love that they brought in 'At Wit's End', I wish they would have kept in 'Lie' and 'Peruvian Skies' instead of playing the same set they've already played in the U.S.

I hear that.  I think Peruvian Skies would make a great encore. Given that I think Untethered Angel ought to be chucked, make Pull Me Under the show opener, and then sub out A Nightmare to Remember for Lie and At Wit's End in the first set.

Pull Me Under
Paralyzed/Fall into the Light (rotate)
Lie
Barstool Warrior
At Wit's End
In the Presence of Enemies Part 1
Pale Blue Dot

All of Scenes

Peruvian Skies

Looks great to me. :hat

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1216 on: October 06, 2019, 08:57:32 AM »
Mostly fine with me, but we've had more than enough of Pull Me Under over the last few tours.  I'd rather keep UA.  Ideally I'd like to hear something they haven't played recently - a new one off DoT would be fine, or something older we haven't heard for a while.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1217 on: October 06, 2019, 09:20:17 AM »
True, I wish they would have busted out Room 137 or Out of Reach for this leg, but I guess it was not to be.  I hope those songs don't go the way of Surrender to Reason, another really good song that appears less likely as time goes on to ever get played.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1218 on: October 06, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »
That sounds good to me also, but open with S2N.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1219 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:39 AM »
Heck of a show Saturday night in Raleigh! Iit wasn't James's strongest performance, but he was still pretty good.  SFAM live is always good, and the new closer At Wit's End was fantastic.

At the end of Finally Free, when Mike Mangini started going off, it sounded to me like for at least part of it he was hitting on off beats on purpose.  JP, JR, and JM always stayed in perfect time and lockstep with each other.  I looked over at my kids and said "He's just fucking with them now." lol

I actually wasn't planning to ask anyone about aftershow passes this time out, but then I went to a preshow fan club meetup and won passes for me and my kids in a trivia contest, so that was cool.

As usual, the guys were super friendly.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1220 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:52 AM »
Regarding Six Degrees, I'm honestly not sure how the band feels about it nowadays.  But just due to the logistics of how they put their sets together, I think the odds of them playing the whole thing are slim to none.  In fact, I think the odds of them playing even the entire title song are slim to none.  If they keep the evening with format, I could see them doing a mini-tribute similar to what they did with Awake on the AFTR tour.  If they did that, I could see getting a couple of songs from disk 1 and a couple of movements from the title song.  If they move away from the evening with format, I could still see maybe a smaller mini-tribute, where they play maybe one song from side 1, with an acknowledgement of the album's anniversary, and a couple of movements from the title song.  But hard to say.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: October 07, 2019, 08:17:23 AM »
Awesome, hef!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1223 on: October 07, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
Awesome, hef!
Cool photos too, if I may say so. Was the last "performance shot" as it were during At Wit's End? I recognised some screen film bits of Barstool Warrior there but not much else.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1224 on: October 07, 2019, 08:26:32 AM »
Awesome, hef!
Cool photos too, if I may say so. Was the last "performance shot" as it were during At Wit's End? I recognised some screen film bits of Barstool Warrior there but not much else.
No.  I actually think those photos are in reverse order.  I believe that pic is from earlier in the concert.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.