Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142195 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #665 on: April 11, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
Cram....get a vid of Through Her Eyes, if you can.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: April 11, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
Cram....get a vid of Through Her Eyes, if you can.

I'll see what I can do, last year at that venue the ushers didn't bother me at all so I'd rather get a song from the first set tomorrow but I may be able to get one from each set.  I'll see how my view is, my seat is in the last row on the floor so hopefully not too many heads in the way.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #667 on: April 11, 2019, 05:46:40 PM »
Awesome show in Red Bank last night, I thought they were on fire...

I was there too, I think it was the best DT concert I've ever been to. I wish more bands that I like would play at that venue. I was on somewhat of a DT hiatus for a few years, but the new album and that show last night renewed my love for the band  :tup

All the new songs were great (even though I do feel that Untethered Angel was a bit underwhelming as an opener). ITPoE was one of the highlights of the show for me, but it was just an awesome show from start to finish.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #668 on: April 11, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »
Mike Mangini it's not a robot nor a machine and this video it's proof

https://youtu.be/ZDk5Nw6Icug

If it's any consolation, Mangini also messed up that section during his very first live rendition of Pull Me Under during the ADTOE tour in 2011. :blush 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #669 on: April 12, 2019, 09:47:28 AM »

If it's any consolation, Mangini also messed up that section during his very first live rendition of Pull Me Under during the ADTOE tour in 2011. :blush

That's it! He had his chance, bring back Portnoy! At least he would have messed up with feel!
:)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #670 on: April 12, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
Interesting that they're not down-tuning PMU this time around. I figured they would keep it that way to make it easier to sing.

As far as MM making mistakes, they're few and far between, but I witnessed one in Toronto in 2014. He lost his spot in Enigma Machine a couple minutes in, but re-aligned himself pretty quickly.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »

That's it! He had his chance, bring back Portnoy! At least he would have messed up with feel!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline bill1971

« Reply #672 on: April 12, 2019, 12:55:46 PM »
Interesting that they're not down-tuning PMU this time around. I figured they would keep it that way to make it easier to sing.

As far as MM making mistakes, they're few and far between, but I witnessed one in Toronto in 2014. He lost his spot in Enigma Machine a couple minutes in, but re-aligned himself pretty quickly.

I think when guys at these levels make mistakes it actually makes them look MORE impressive. Shows how tough the parts are and how they pull them off 99% of the time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: April 12, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »

I think when guys at these levels make mistakes it actually makes them look MORE impressive. Shows how tough the parts are and how they pull them off 99% of the time.

Totally, plus how they get back into it, they don't stop or start over, they find a way and that shows just how good you really are.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #674 on: April 12, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »
It was probably more to do with the fact that he had to sing the rest of the IaW album after PMU, with some super difficult parts, so that they down-tuned it and (almost) the rest of the album on that tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #675 on: April 12, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »
I wonder if that is part of the reason they are choosing to do it this tour, just to show Labrie is still on point.  So many were bashing him on the last tour and I am sure that burns those guys.  Labrie has been good on all the videos I have seen and when I saw it live in Wallingford.  The do totally mail in a couple high parts with tracks but for the most part Labrie sounded great live to me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #676 on: April 12, 2019, 05:15:30 PM »
I wonder if that is part of the reason they are choosing to do it this tour, just to show Labrie is still on point.
It may have a little to do with it, but probably not much, if at all. I think the biggest thing was for them to capitalize on the anniversary thing with another one of their big albums after they did a whole year's worth of touring playing the most divisive album in their catalog. I'm sure the promoters wanted something to help guarantee an audience this time around. After this tour tho, hopefully the promoters won't be in doubt so that the band can resume doing non-anniversary shows from here on out.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #677 on: April 12, 2019, 05:26:23 PM »

:lol :rollin :lol :lol :rollin :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #678 on: April 12, 2019, 05:41:00 PM »
I wonder if that is part of the reason they are choosing to do it this tour, just to show Labrie is still on point.
It may have a little to do with it, but probably not much, if at all. I think the biggest thing was for them to capitalize on the anniversary thing with another one of their big albums after they did a whole year's worth of touring playing the most divisive album in their catalog. I'm sure the promoters wanted something to help guarantee an audience this time around. After this tour tho, hopefully the promoters won't be in doubt so that the band can resume doing non-anniversary shows from here on out.

While I would love some non-anniversary setlists just to shut up the knee jerk reactors who have started calling DT a nostalgia act, I hope the band won't completely shy away from the idea forever. Sometimes seeing a whole album live is a really amazing experience. I am incredibly glad I got to see The Astonishing live and Scenes (both now and 19 years ago). I only wish I'd gotten to see Images, Words, and Beyond.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #679 on: April 12, 2019, 09:50:53 PM »
While I would love some non-anniversary setlists just to shut up the knee jerk reactors who have started calling DT a nostalgia act, I hope the band won't completely shy away from the idea forever. Sometimes seeing a whole album live is a really amazing experience. I am incredibly glad I got to see The Astonishing live and Scenes (both now and 19 years ago). I only wish I'd gotten to see Images, Words, and Beyond.
Don't think I fall into the "knee jerk reactor" category, but the "play a whole album" idea is getting tired, especially now that this is the third tour in a row where they're doing that. If it's done on occasion, no problem. But it seems to be a bit of overkill right now. That said, *if* they are to play an album straight through, I'd rather they change the songs up to varying degrees to make it "new" - what they did for the 2017 is a good example of that. Sadly (for me), the version of SFaM they're currently doing is pretty much just like the album, right down to some of the pre-recorded backing vocals - if I wanted that, I could just listen to the CD in the comfort of my own home. Of course, there are some changes, which i gladly welcome, few as they are - I just wish there were more of them!  ;)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: April 13, 2019, 06:15:48 AM »
Yea, I'm good with the album tours for now.  I'd love a full on DT show with a setlist of anything and everything.  TA, I&W, SFAM, all awesome, but I'd love a full on random DT setlist.

Anyway, the NYC show last night was awesome.  JLB said the Myung, Petrucci, and Portnoy families were all in the house  :metal

Dream Theater - Fall Into the Light Live @ Beacon Theatre New York City

Dream Theater - Through Her Eyes Live @ Beacon Theatre New York City

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #681 on: April 13, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »

Question about the shows with Paralyzed - Since that song is shorter, does DT make up that time elsewhere somehow, or is the show just shorter?

Not a complaint, just curious.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #682 on: April 13, 2019, 10:38:19 AM »
LaBrie's voice sounded really weird last night in NYC. It was like the natural lows of his voice were filtered out. He even sounded higher-pitched while he was speaking. He just doesn't sound like that normally.

It was a nice surprise when they played In The Presence of Enemies Part I and A Nightmare to Remember. I was hoping they'd play Metropolis Part I which would've fit in well since they were playing all of Scenes...but instead they played Pull Me Under for the encore. Meh.

Overall it was a good concert. Everything sounded good for the most part but I had problems hearing Ruddess. Maybe it was because of where I was sitting. Surprisingly I was able to hear or at least feel the bass almost all the time so that was cool.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: April 13, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »

Question about the shows with Paralyzed - Since that song is shorter, does DT make up that time elsewhere somehow, or is the show just shorter?

Not a complaint, just curious.

Just a few minutes shorter of a show.  I can't think of anything different they did to make up for it between each nights.  It's not a big deal.  I'm not even sure which song was better live.  Maybe Paralyzed although Fall Into the Light I enjoy more, but Paralyzed came off really well live and as a shorter song in between all those longer ones in the set was nice.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #684 on: April 13, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
Don't think I fall into the "knee jerk reactor" category, but the "play a whole album" idea is getting tired, especially now that this is the third tour in a row where they're doing that. If it's done on occasion, no problem. But it seems to be a bit of overkill right now. That said, *if* they are to play an album straight through, I'd rather they change the songs up to varying degrees to make it "new" - what they did for the 2017 is a good example of that. Sadly (for me), the version of SFaM they're currently doing is pretty much just like the album, right down to some of the pre-recorded backing vocals - if I wanted that, I could just listen to the CD in the comfort of my own home. Of course, there are some changes, which i gladly welcome, few as they are - I just wish there were more of them!  ;)

I kind of have a different perspective, on both issues. I know people are tired of the whole album thing, but I really enjoy it. As far as new albums go, I've recently been able to see The Astonishing and the latest albums from Angra and Threshold, and while it's true that it doesn't leave as much room for other songs, I just really enjoyed it. I suppose if I didn't like a particular album it would be another story, but hearing a full album to me is a cool experience.  And for classic albums, I kind of feel the same way. That doesn't mean I think DT should continue doing a classic album on every tour, but I certainly don't feel that it's been oversaturated at this point. I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to see Scenes from a Memory live in its entirety.  And on that note, I'm actually glad that they've been staying pretty faithful to the original. Yes I know that I could listen to the album at home, and have done so many times, but hearing it live is something else entirely. It would have been cool maybe for Theresa Thomason to be at the NYC show, but aside from that, I just really like the way the album's being presented. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #685 on: April 13, 2019, 10:57:23 AM »
Yea, I'm good with the album tours for now.  I'd love a full on DT show with a setlist of anything and everything.  TA, I&W, SFAM, all awesome, but I'd love a full on random DT setlist.

Anyway, the NYC show last night was awesome.  JLB said the Myung, Petrucci, and Portnoy families were all in the house  :metal

Holy shit. :o

Offline Mladen

« Reply #686 on: April 13, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this. Ever since they went back to evening-with shows, it's all been about anniversaries and playing albums in their entirety. Hopefully the next tour will feature stuff from all of their discography.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #687 on: April 13, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this. Ever since they went back to evening-with shows, it's all been about anniversaries and playing albums in their entirety. Hopefully the next tour will feature stuff from all of their discography.
This!    Hopefully on the second north American leg of d/t in cities they missed on the first leg..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 07:46:29 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: April 13, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »
Took me all day to make this, but I merged the videos from the Red Bank and NYC shows and made a full cramx3 concert experience video, it's quite long and has all my favorite moments from the concerts, I'll say it's probably the best video on youtube of this tour  :biggrin:

Dream Theater LIVE Distance Over Time & Scenes From A Memory 20th Tour *cramx3 concert experience*

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #689 on: April 13, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »
Anyone else go to the Tower theater show?

It was awesome

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #690 on: April 13, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »

It was awesome

Was there! Good show but audio was bad.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline DTA

« Reply #691 on: April 13, 2019, 10:03:36 PM »

It was awesome

I was there. Yes it was awesome. Also, can people stop getting up and down for one goddamn minute?? And what’s with these idiots showing up trying to find their seats 15 minutes after the show has started? Can you seriously be this bad at planning ahead?

But yeah it kicked ass. Through Her Eyes was a surprising highlight for me. Very powerful. I was hoping they would go into the full band ending like they did on Live Scenes though.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #692 on: April 13, 2019, 11:02:56 PM »

It was awesome

I was there. Yes it was awesome. Also, can people stop getting up and down for one goddamn minute?? And what’s with these idiots showing up trying to find their seats 15 minutes after the show has started? Can you seriously be this bad at planning ahead?

Stuff happens. It could've been their first time in the area. I never go to NYC which is where I saw the band twice and I was lucky enough to have a buddy who kind of knew their way around. Plus I'm terrible with directions.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #693 on: April 14, 2019, 05:36:09 AM »
Some more thoughts now that I've been able to get some rest

Here's pic I snapped

First set was ok. A nightmare to remember isn't a song I care for, but since I just got in a crash myself a few days ago, the timing couldn't be more appropriate, lol. I do love that "Beautiful agony" slow section though.   I would have absolutely swapped out Pale blue dot for At wits end (which I was very surprised they didn't to play). Loved hearing In the presence of enemies though. That was a cool surprise and a song I love.

Scenes set- Hot holy damn, was that incredible  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy   Them playing scenes was worth the price of admission alone. This set took the whole experience to the next level and I was totally drawn into It. I was even tearing up during through her eyes. Its always been so impressive to me how fast Scenes goes, despite its length. It flows so damn well and holds my attention all the way through.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #694 on: April 14, 2019, 06:00:08 AM »
Phoenix, what was your seat#/row? I’m pretty sure one of those heads on your picture is me lol

But yeah the first set was ok. ANTR was fine, wish they would’ve play the whole ITPOTE, and I was surprised they left out AWE.

Also, I was almost sure the Glass Prison was gonna be the encore. PMU was a bit of a let down but still fun song. Also, I thought STR was supposed to be included, I guess it was  delayed for another tour.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #695 on: April 14, 2019, 06:10:39 AM »
Omg really?  :lol

I was row DD and seat 122

Offline adamack

« Reply #696 on: April 14, 2019, 07:09:17 AM »

It was awesome

Yes I was there, it was amazing!

First off, let me just saw how damn good James sounds, in terms of his singing ability and hitting all of the notes. I had made a post a little while back asking what people thought about James using some kind of live auto tune. This was idiotic of me to even ask. Some people responded that he sounds amazing every time they see him live, and after last night, I get it now. I was going off of YouTube clips where he sounded bad, and this doesn’t do justice to seeing him. I haven’t seen them since the Chaos In Motion tour, so this is my first time seeing James at this stage of his life. He was even better this time.

That said, a little bit of negative. I read before hand that the show was VERY loud, and I found this to be true. Unless I’m just getting old, or should have brought ear plugs, I feel like everything would have sounded so much better and cleaner if it was all brought down a notch.

Also, the live mix in general wasn’t the best. It was very hard to hear Jordan, and when I could hear him, the EQ of many of his keyboard patches were very treble-y. The same goes with James’ mix - it was killing our ears when he would go to the high register. I feel like some kind of filter on the highs would have done wonders, though I don’t know much about live mixing. It just sounded shrill.

Anyway though, the mixing and sound is literally my only complaint.

MM IS AN ABSOLUTE POWERHOUSE AND SEEING HIM LIVE IS THE ONLY WAY TO DO THIS JUSTICE!!

JP was incredible as always. His lead tones were the one standout about the mix IMO. One of my favorite parts of the show was his solo section in Barstool Warrior.

JM sounded awesome! Lots of lows in his bass, really added a ton of energy. Especially during the palm muted parts (Pull Me Under for example). Such a thick sound.

Anyway, it was awesome overall. Standouts to me were ANTR, BW, ITPOE, TSCO, and FF. It’s crazy because SFAM is and will always be my favorite album ever, but I actually enjoyed the first half of the show more.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: April 14, 2019, 07:43:01 AM »
Also, can people stop getting up and down for one goddamn minute?? And what’s with these idiots showing up trying to find their seats 15 minutes after the show has started? Can you seriously be this bad at planning ahead?

I can't speak for other shows, but I know in NYC, it's pretty slow to get into the Beacon Theatre.  I knew this from last time and arrived early, but I know if you showed up close to 8pm you probably missed the beginning.  People were still filing in for a bit at both shows I went to (Red Bank had no line to get in).  I think that's fairly normal of any band, especially one who is a headlining act going on at 8pm sharp.  Not everyone can make it on time and some people don't know they go on at 8pm sharp and to arrive early to make it inside on time.

As for the getting up and down, not an issue if you are standing  :metal

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: April 14, 2019, 08:31:42 AM »

It was awesome

I was there as well. I got a JP pick!

I managed to score row DDD on the end. Got some decent photos and a few videos.
What hosting site do we use now for photos? Been years since I’ve shared here.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #699 on: April 14, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »
Great show at The Tower. It was my 15th time seeing DT and impressive as always. Sound was kind of shitty from where I was sitting (about 3/4 way back on JM side. JR's keys and MM's  individual drum sounds were lost in the mix but JM sounded the best I have ever heard him. About people finding their seats, they must have opened doors late, at 745 there was still 2 huge lines outside. I loved the 2nd set SFAM, it brought back great memories of 2000. I have to say that I missed MP's playing during that as I associate that album closely with him for some reason.
 My last observation is becoming commonplace for me. Dude in front of me on Facebook or whatever for the whole show. WTF is wrong with people? You pay all that money and then stare at your phone the whole time? I wouldn't care what he was doing except it is SO distracting to people around him (me!) Holding a light right in front of me the whole show. Unfortunately this is a battle i will never win.
Kudos to DT for another great album and show!