Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142182 times)

Offline lovethedrake

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32:09 AM »
I'm ecstatic to see SFAM in it's entirety because I never have and it's my #1 DT album.  Some of the other choices are strange to me but.....

You can't please everyone haha.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32:50 AM »
Thoughts:

- First set is a little shorter than I would have anticipated, but if that helps keep James in better shape then I won't begrudge them that.

- As far as the older songs in set 1, not what I personally would have chosen but they're fun and haven't been played to death recently.

- SFAM is my all time favorite album by any band and I wasn't a fan until after that touring cycle so I'm ecstatic to get to see the full album live (three times :D)

- The encore is a major disappointment. The only way I&W could have made it onto the setlist that I wouldn't have minded would have been closing set 1 with Metropolis Part 1. Wouldn't have been my preference, but I would have understood why/been OK with it. I *really* hope they change this or add a second song or something.

- That's about what I expected as far as number of new songs in the setlist given the SFAM portion of the show. I think they were saving some of the good material from D/T for a second tour that won't involve a whole set of SFAM.

- Weren't they supposed to be playing something to acknowledge Awake's anniversary this year?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:46 AM »
Wow. Only 4 songs off the new album. :(

this is what I love about DT fans. a lot of other fans of other bands are mad when a band plays new songs instead of the hits. We (DT fans) want to hear all the new stuff and not the hit(s).  (to be clear this is not sarcasm, I really love that we all want the new stuff)

Yes, I agree that is very cool. I noticed most of the gripes was the lack of new songs which is more praise about how great the new album is. For me it would be like for the Rush Clock Work Angels Tour they did.

Caravan
Face Up
BU2B
Anarchist
Spin Drift
Headlong Flight

All of Moving Pictures

The Spirit of Radio

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »
I'm really glad to see ANTR, I love it and BC&SL never really got much love from a live perspective.  ITPOE is also a good choice for me.  Also how both these haven't been played for so long.

I suspect we'll get some rotation on a few songs.  Like the setlist A and setlist B they did for the ADTOE tour.

PMU for a closer?  Not so much.

The stage setup looks awesome!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2019, 08:40:28 AM »
I love SFAM, it's my second favorite DT record and one of my favorite records of all time. D/T is just fresh to me right now since it's the new stuff, and it's what I'm most excited to hear live.

Me too. I know the SFAM thing is also a marketing thing, to drive ticket sales. But I would have been really OK with a suite of SFAM, and them playing the entire new record and some old songs.

I totally agree.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2019, 08:42:08 AM »
I would rather view the choices from this lens:

They included ANTR as some sort of nod to the tenth year anniversary of BC&SL.

ITPOE is one of the few songs they haven't played yet with Mangini, and it suits his drumming style.

The selection of the songs from D/T is actually similar as what they did in the AFTR tour. In that tour, they only played the singles plus IT. At least in this set, they played two songs that are not among the singles.

The decision to play the whole of SFAM I put down to two things. One, they want it to draw old fans who have not yet heard the new songs. Two, I think this is their last chance to play their most acclaimed album in its entirety, as the next milestone anniversaries of SFAM, I get the feeling that they know that their time is almost up given their age.

PMU as an encore? That I don't get also. Maybe they just don't have enough time to rehearse a different song.

Offline TheFrozenInferno

« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2019, 08:44:14 AM »
Thoughts:

- First set is a little shorter than I would have anticipated, but if that helps keep James in better shape then I won't begrudge them that.

- As far as the older songs in set 1, not what I personally would have chosen but they're fun and haven't been played to death recently.

- SFAM is my all time favorite album by any band and I wasn't a fan until after that touring cycle so I'm ecstatic to get to see the full album live (three times :D)

- The encore is a major disappointment. The only way I&W could have made it onto the setlist that I wouldn't have minded would have been closing set 1 with Metropolis Part 1. Wouldn't have been my preference, but I would have understood why/been OK with it. I *really* hope they change this or add a second song or something.

- That's about what I expected as far as number of new songs in the setlist given the SFAM portion of the show. I think they were saving some of the good material from D/T for a second tour that won't involve a whole set of SFAM.

- Weren't they supposed to be playing something to acknowledge Awake's anniversary this year?

They did a big Awake thing back in 2014 for the 20th anniversary. Then again they did a mini-SFAM tribute for the encore that year too so at some point they have to get away from anniversary stuff. It's also the 10th anniversary of BC&SL which is why I'm guessing Nightmare was pulled out.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2019, 08:44:21 AM »
I would rather view the choices from this lens:

They included ANTR as some sort of nod to the tenth year anniversary of BC&SL.

ITPOE is one of the few songs they haven't played yet with Mangini, and it suits his drumming style.

The selection of the songs from D/T is actually similar as what they did in the AFTR tour. In that tour, they only played the singles plus IT. At least in this set, they played two songs that are not among the singles.

The decision to play the whole of SFAM I put down to two things. One, they want it to draw old fans who have not yet heard the new songs. Two, I think this is their last chance to play their most acclaimed album in its entirety, as the next milestone anniversaries of SFAM, I get the feeling that they know that their time is almost up given their age.

PMU as an encore? That I don't get also. Maybe they just don't have enough time to rehearse a different song.

I think that is a good point about rehearsing. Maybe they didn't have enough time to rehearse the new material yet. Pale Blue Dot is probably very challenging to play live and took up a lot of rehearsal time.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2019, 08:49:52 AM »
Thoughts:

They did a big Awake thing back in 2014 for the 20th anniversary. Then again they did a mini-SFAM tribute for the encore that year too so at some point they have to get away from anniversary stuff. It's also the 10th anniversary of BC&SL which is why I'm guessing Nightmare was pulled out.

Oh I know they did the Awake thing a few years ago, I just had it in my head that someone had said in an interview that they'd do at least one Awake song this time around to acknowledge this anniversary. As much as I love Awake, I'm fine with them not doing something for 25 years since they just did something for 20 years, I just thought they were for some reason.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2019, 08:51:40 AM »
I don't think most of us are displeased, we're just thrown in confusion. There's several songs they have never played with Mangini, they went for twenty five minutes for two songs that aren't exactly popular or requested. In the meantime, they have had better reception for their new album from both fans and non fans than they ever had in the Mangini era and possibly the tail ends of the MP era - even if I'm wrong, at least it's better received than The Astonishing, and that one kinda stung them, so I assume they're ecstatic not to have such polarized reception this time. Maybe they should play as many of those tunes as they possibly can to see which ones are great for the road.  Just my opinion. Maybe we're all wrong and they rotate new songs or old songs tonight.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
I fully expect the first set to have rotating songs.

But I'm with Mora - after the polarizing reception of The Astonishing, and getting almost a universal thumb's up for Distance Over Time, I just expected more tunes from it (which would be absolutely perfect as far as I'm concerned). I'm not disappointed, but as Mora said, its a little confusing how they did that first set, at least for the first night. We'll see what's in store for night two.

I do need to ask though - why Pull Me Under for the encore? Especially after two big tour legs playing it every night? Why not do an Awake suite as the encore as a nod to the anniversary? They could put in Voices, or Scarred. If they wanted to go short, then just do Lie and The Mirror, and maybe wrap things up with S2N as a further push of the new album.

Either way, I am very excited for Sunday. All of this, at least for me, is not complaining at all. Just wondering what they are thinking. I'm ecstatic to see a support tour for an album I've grown to love again from Dream Theater. Finally. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2019, 09:05:18 AM »
Some of us are displeased. That's just plain awful. Sheesh.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
I don't think most of us are displeased, we're just thrown in confusion. There's several songs they have never played with Mangini, they went for twenty five minutes for two songs that aren't exactly popular or requested. In the meantime, they have had better reception for their new album from both fans and non fans than they ever had in the Mangini era and possibly the tail ends of the MP era - even if I'm wrong, at least it's better received than The Astonishing, and that one kinda stung them, so I assume they're ecstatic not to have such polarized reception this time. Maybe they should play as many of those tunes as they possibly can to see which ones are great for the road.  Just my opinion. Maybe we're all wrong and they rotate new songs or old songs tonight.

After seeing this my hunch is that they're planning on a proper D/T tour where they'll actually support the album. That's a pretty solid plan, honestly. Doesn't really explain why this one is so terrible, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »
I'm not displeased. Pull Me Under is their milestone, I understand that but putting in encore is a joke. Metropolis fits better encore concept. Or, put PMU in set 1 and play ITPOE with two parts as an encore. At least we literally have an epic encore.

But as it is I like the setlist. SFAM is enough.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
Some of us are displeased. That's just plain awful. Sheesh.

Understandable. But set one is, no pun intended, a nightmare. There's almost no way to please everyone with a set like that, unless you have three rotating set ones. And maybe they do!

Fingers-crossed those displeased are happier after we see what they play tonight. I just hope Barstool Warrior, Paralyzed and A Pale Blue Dot remain. Those are three out of my top-five on the record (the others being At Wit's End and Signal to Noise).

But I gotta say -- I think Metropolis Pt. 1 should always precede Regression.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
I haven't seen a 6DOIT song in a while... would be nice to see them throw in Glass Prison or Great Debate.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »
My only gripe about the set would be not including At Wits End. That would be like THE perfect encore song to end the show. Hopefully they can also include/rotate S2N with Barstool Warrior.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »
They could have fit 3-4 more songs in if they took out Nightmare... 1-2 more if they got rid of ITPOE.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:33 AM »
I haven't seen a 6DOIT song in a while... would be nice to see them throw in Glass Prison or Great Debate.

That is what baffles me a little.  If they were going to dedicated 16-17 minutes to a single song, why not play Glass Prison or In the Name of God?  I believe both finished high on that list of songs fans want to hear that was given to the band. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
They could have fit 3-4 more songs in if they took out Nightmare... 1-2 more if they got rid of ITPOE.

I am fine with ITPOE Part 1 getting played.  The first five minutes is all instrumental, so it helps JLB's voice by giving it a little break there later in the first set. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »
Not overly thrilled about ANTR but am fine with everything else on the set list......and as has been mentioned, PMU as an encore is an odd choice being that it's been played a bazillion times. ANY other song would have made more sense but oh well. Still looking forward to seeing them in less than a month.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2019, 09:26:02 AM »

- Most underwhelming encore ever. PMU should be shelved permanently, it's been played to death.

Agreed, it's fuckin Enter Sandman at this point.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2019, 09:30:08 AM »

this is what I love about DT fans. a lot of other fans of other bands are mad when a band plays new songs instead of the hits. We (DT fans) want to hear all the new stuff and not the hit(s).  (to be clear this is not sarcasm, I really love that we all want the new stuff)

Yes, I agree that is very cool. I noticed most of the gripes was the lack of new songs which is more praise about how great the new album is. For me it would be like for the Rush Clock Work Angels Tour they did.

Caravan
Face Up
BU2B
Anarchist
Spin Drift
Headlong Flight

All of Moving Pictures

The Spirit of Radio

Yeah, but with that set listed, if Rush done it that way, there's still like another hour of space for them to fill with all kinds of interesting stuff.  Moving Pictures is only 40 minutes.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2019, 09:31:07 AM »
I love seeing ANTR and ITPoE pt1 (the better part IMO).  However, this set does feel a bit lack luster.  I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking no AWE or S2N is a big reason, plus a not interesting encore.  I'd enjoy PMU at the end more if they tacked on like Viper King or FitL (a song from the D/T not played in set 1) first like some bands often include a new song as the first song in an encore. 

I'm curious if they rotate songs, like maybe tonight they swap:

barstool warrior - Fall into the light
Pale Blue Dot - At Wits End

if they do that, I will make a good effort to see two shows.  If this is the static set list, I don't think I'm dishing out the money for the NYC show or making the drive to Philly and just stick with my NJ show I already have a ticket for.

I don't think Pale Blue Dot is going anywhere for the next year or so, judging by how fond of it JR and JP are.
I also don't think it's gonna be static setlist, I think the encore for sure if gonna rotate. Possibly Nightmare and Enemies as well.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2019, 09:31:57 AM »
No way I'm paying $150 (current extortion prices on stubhub for NYC) to skip the first set. Totally disappointed in both stubhub extorters as well as the lack of pre-Rudess material. And don't care for any of the songs in the first set at all. :-\

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2019, 09:32:11 AM »
Isn't PMU just about the worst decision (maybe short of TTT) for James' voice after a 2-hour set?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2019, 09:33:55 AM »

I expected one too. Maybe tonight!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
We shall see, tonight.  I will be there.  Almost considered not going, but Ticketmaster had a Holiday Hangover deal where seats in the very far back in the floor was $26.00.  I nabbed that right away.  Not too thrilled with the first set, aside from the Distance Over Time songs, second set is as advertised.  Only one song in the encore, and Pull Me Under nonetheless, is a bit disappointing, but it should be a good night anyway.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2019, 09:37:32 AM »

That is what baffles me a little.  If they were going to dedicated 16-17 minutes to a single song, why not play Glass Prison or In the Name of God?  I believe both finished high on that list of songs fans want to hear that was given to the band.

Maybe they are just going with the more popular song? In Spotify, ANTR has more than 3.5M plays, compared to ITNOG and TGP which has less than 2.5M.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2019, 09:37:41 AM »
FYI, this was the set they did the last tour (couple of dates in South America back in 2005) they played SFAM in its entirety.
Switch songs from Octavarium and JLMB with those from D/T, and you got a perfectly fine, heavy and much cooler (imho) setlist.

The Glass Prison
Just Let Me Breathe
The Mirror
Lie
The Answer Lies Within
These Walls
Never Enough
In the Name of God

Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
Regression
Overture 1928
Strange Déjà Vu
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Through Her Eyes
Home
The Dance of Eternity
One Last Time
The Spirit Carries On
Finally Free

Encore:
Pull Me Under / Metropolis Pt. 1

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2019, 09:44:31 AM »
Well, these fans who actually watched the show seem to have enjoyed it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/b3ncpv/san_diego_concert_review/

Offline bill1971

« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »

Yes, I am glad you put that. I am not thrilled with the set list personally, but who cares? I'm glad people loved the show and I'm sure it was and will be amazing.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2019, 09:52:39 AM »

Caravan
Face Up
BU2B
Anarchist
Spin Drift
Headlong Flight

All of Moving Pictures

The Spirit of Radio

Yeah, but with that set listed, if Rush done it that way, there's still like another hour of space for them to fill with all kinds of interesting stuff.  Moving Pictures is only 40 minutes.

Good point. :) Maybe they could play the 6 songs off D/T that wasn't played.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2019, 09:53:15 AM »
I couldn't be happier with this set list. I'm glad to see Nightmare and Presence so we can give some respect to the "late Portnoy" era. With Barstool Warrier and Pale Blue Dot, we get to see some of the best Mangini from D/T. This is going to be such a fun night!

Offline rab7

« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »

Yes, I am glad you put that. I am not thrilled with the set list personally, but who cares? I'm glad people loved the show and I'm sure it was and will be amazing.

Interestingly, one of his comments said they had a curfew of 11 pm.

If this is not the standard for all venues, it's possible they might squeeze a couple more songs into Act I