Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143274 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2019, 02:50:13 AM »
I think it's just for practical considerations as a song as long as ITPOE 2 would take up a lot of time and would make it some sort of the center of attention of the show.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2019, 03:13:03 AM »
Two things I noticed from pictures and video online already. No amps on stage, and Mangini is playing only one bass drum. Besides acoustic shows, that’s a first for DT. The single kick, that’s is.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2019, 03:14:51 AM »
Two things I noticed from pictures and video online already. No amps on stage, and Mangini is playing only one bass drum. Besides acoustic shows, that’s a first for DT. The single kick, that’s is.

Well, JP hasn't had (real) amps on stage for years and years so no change there. Not sure about JM.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2019, 03:15:50 AM »
Bought he has at least had fake ones. There is nothing now. That was only done on the SDOIT tour.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline erciccio

« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2019, 03:17:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pffSrUymjqQ MM is far too close to Porty here, I was dissappointed. Had to throw up (mentally). He failed. Doesn't suffice at all to me. He failed.

Well, I strongly disagree.
Really love MM performance here.

If I had to make one critic, well, there are a couple of errors by JP (the build-up scale at 5.30 and 1 wrong chord at 5.58) but nothing serious.
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2019, 04:08:08 AM »
I don't understand why they're playing one long song and one epic as rarities on a tour where the entire second set is already a rarity. Save that for the regular tour. In that time they could fit two more DoT songs and two or three rarities that have a shorter run time.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2019, 05:25:55 AM »
I don't understand why they're playing one long song and one epic as rarities on a tour where the entire second set is already a rarity. Save that for the regular tour. In that time they could fit two more DoT songs and two or three rarities that have a shorter run time.

I was just saying that.

And where's JP's amps? The right side of the stage looks quite empty even though they have this new stage setup which is cool!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline TheFrozenInferno

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2019, 05:26:39 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me to see Fall Into The Light, Paralyzed, and maybe even S2N rotated in that spot from night to night since they're all in the 5-7 minute range and the guys hinted there might be some rotation going on this tour. Will have to see how much variation there is in these first few back to back shows.

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of Nightmare or BC&SL in general but on the 10th anniversary I expected at least something to be played. Looking forward to seeing it live nonetheles but the 16 mins could probably have been used in plenty of other ways too.

I loved ITPOE when I saw the full version back in 2007 so I can't wait to at least hear Part 1 again. That song rocks live and there are zero complaints from me on that one.

No S2N (at least not yet) is a bit of a bummer, but PMU for the encore is a bigger bummer. I was hoping for Octavarium most of all or at least another epic but I guess the set is pretty long as is and the highlight is clearly the new stuff and SFAM (all of which I am SUPER PUMPED to see don't get me wrong)

I'll be glued to the setlists for the next few shows because I don't think we've seen the whole story yet

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »
Kind of bummed that we won't get S2N. I wanted to hear the whole audience scream WOW. 

Really don't know why they chose PMU as the encore. That song has been beaten to death and the last tour was specifically for I&W. I don't get it. I actually might bounce before it starts to beat traffic.

The rest of the set list is cool though. Act 1 is a little short, but what are you gonna do.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2019, 05:51:48 AM »

That's not the problem. The problem is cramming 80 minutes of SFAM into the set.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2019, 05:53:00 AM »
I can understand the setlist choices in terms of the mindset of focusing on the "heavier" side of the band... But it is confusing to see PMU and a track as long as ANTR in there. Still, I'm sure I wouldn't complain if I were at the venue!

(if they only swapped out PMU for Blind Faith + Surrender to Reason, man...)

And yeah, on a second tour leg that isn't celebrating SFAM, I think we'll get a more innovative setlist somehow.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2019, 06:15:35 AM »

That's not the problem. The problem is cramming 80 minutes of SFAM into the set.

I don't see it as a problem, to many -including myself- SFAM has many songs that are among most common fan-favorites that carry the set. If you ignore the fact that it's "SFAM in it's entirety", you'll find this a show where they played Fatal Tragedy, Home, Eternity, Spirit, IPOE, ANTR, 4 new songs and oh.. some more SFAM songs, that's pretty fuckin sweet IMHO.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2019, 06:23:41 AM »
Also, with all due respect to people talking about STR and Blind Faith, I don't fully get the yearning here. I mean I like Blind Faith for the instrumental section but I find it to be only studio-version likeable. And what is the gaga over STR? Is it the glamour of "they never played it live"? I find it to be of the same average quality as all the self-titled songs, sans the first and last tracks. Maybe I need to revisit it, it's been a while.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2019, 06:37:05 AM »
No DT setlist could be bad but it's not close to what I would have liked.  Playing all of SfaM makes it difficult - and I didn't get tickets for that reason - but other comments:

- I actually like having A Nightmare to Remember especially if this one is released on a live CD.
- ItPoE Part 1 isn't my favorite.  Parts 1 and 2 would have been much better or part 2 alone.
- I love PMU but that as the only encore is very disappointing.

I think the combination of it being a new album tour, playing a lenghty complete album and having such a vast discography just doesn't work well.  SfaM in it's entirety may have been better in an off album tour cycle then this tour could have added more from D/T and the back catalog.

Working with what they did, though, if they could have replaced the encore with either Octavarium or ItPoE Parts 1 & 2 and put something else in please of ItPoE Pt. 1 in Set 1.

Pale Blue Dot
A Nightmare to Remember
Barstool Cowboy
In the Presence of Enemies Parts 1 & 2
Untethered Angel (would prefer something else from D/T but working within the structure of what they did)
------
SfaM
------
encore - Octavarium

That's something that would have excited me and still kept the core of what they did.  3 epics and a complete album would be weird but still cool.  It comes in a little long at around 2:20 + Octavarium so close to 3 hours.  Cut out ItPoE Pt. 1 and it's about 55 minutes + SfaM + Octavarium which is doable.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:51:08 AM by BelichickFan »

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2019, 06:45:48 AM »
I really can see some sense in act.1 (and the encore) only if taken in perspective of the European summer tour, which will consist mostly in Festivals, where you have to show you’re cool and heavy,  which is basically a promoting run for the following European tour. And those festivals gigs will be mostly act1 (I can see FITL popping up) + pull me under (aka the only well known song outside DT fanbase) + couple of songs from Scenes (where possibile).

I mean, it’s not bad by any means (I don’t like ANTR but I know JP is really into it), it’s just weird for an headlining tour.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2019, 06:47:49 AM »

I don't see it as a problem, to many -including myself- SFAM has many songs that are among most common fan-favorites that carry the set. If you ignore the fact that it's "SFAM in it's entirety", you'll find this a show where they played Fatal Tragedy, Home, Eternity, Spirit, IPOE, ANTR, 4 new songs and oh.. some more SFAM songs, that's pretty fuckin sweet IMHO.
Yeah, definitely. What I'm saying is that they're already dedicating 80 minutes to a twice-in-a-lifetime experience, so they should use the time of the main set to road test as many of the new songs as possible, and if they want to toss in a rarity there too, taking up 20 minutes with ANTR is a risky move. If someone isn't so hot about the second set (like our good friend TAC), and ANTR isn't on their bucket list, they're sitting this one out no questions asked.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2019, 06:49:57 AM »
I'm just surprised at no AWE, S2N, or FITL.   Arguably the 3 songs I was most excited to see live along with PBT.

SFAM is my favorite DT album so I will still be in music heaven no matter is played.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2019, 06:55:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqFY5DlgIRQ

Regression
Overature 1928
Strange Deja vu

Offline bill1971

« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2019, 06:57:16 AM »
Wow. Only 4 songs off the new album. :(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2019, 06:57:26 AM »
Honestly, I'd consider sitting it out, except for the fact that I missed them the last three times through here. I wasn't going to miss them.

I get a lot of people love SFAM. So do I. It's my 2nd favorite DT album. Live Scenes From New York is my 2nd all time favorite live album.

But anyone bitching about what or wasn't played or how short or long the first set and the encores are has to acknowledge the role that playing all of SFAM played in it.

I feel like doing all of SFAM on the SECOND time through would've been fine. At least get a proper D/T tour first.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2019, 06:58:36 AM »
I was really bummed about missing this tour due to them playing all of SFAM but after seeing that setlist I feel better. I've seen the majority of the SFAM songs over the years and I've already seeen all of the other songs minus the new ones. Hopefully they do another US leg with more of the new album and less of SC and BC&SL. They obviously wanted a heavier vibe but I'd prefer they lean on ToT.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2019, 07:01:32 AM »
Also, with all due respect to people talking about STR and Blind Faith, I don't fully get the yearning here. I mean I like Blind Faith for the instrumental section but I find it to be only studio-version likeable. And what is the gaga over STR? Is it the glamour of "they never played it live"? I find it to be of the same average quality as all the self-titled songs, sans the first and last tracks. Maybe I need to revisit it, it's been a while.

These songs were among the most voted on the wishlist survey that bosk1 ran a few months back here. And they're just great songs that break out of the "heavy" mentaility of Set 1. It would've balanced things out, I believe.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2019, 07:02:55 AM »
I feel like doing all of SFAM on the SECOND time through would've been fine. At least get a proper D/T tour first.
Honestly, I think this is caused by the few times their tour plans suddenly changed and they couldn't do what they originally planned but then put aside (in 2010, and then when they clearly wanted to do another round of TA but did IAW instead). If they know they want to do SFAM this year might as well get it out of the way first.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2019, 07:21:46 AM »
Interesting set list.

-Only 4 new songs.
-No songs off any of the first three albums with Mangini.
-Pull Me Under as the encore? (I stand by my long-stated opinion that it is not a good encore, but more of a good opener)
-16 minutes dedicated to A Nightmare to Remember? (good song, but if you are going to spend that much time on one song, why not do it on a song fans are clamoring for like Glass Prison or In the Name of God?)

Don't get me wrong, any set list with Scenes is really good on the strength of that alone, but considering I saw them play it twice back in 2000, I am not bummed at all about not seeing them this leg.  Hopefully, they will do a second US leg (is that the plan?) where Scenes as a whole has been scrapped and more new songs will get played.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2019, 07:38:20 AM »
I love seeing ANTR and ITPoE pt1 (the better part IMO).  However, this set does feel a bit lack luster.  I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking no AWE or S2N is a big reason, plus a not interesting encore.  I'd enjoy PMU at the end more if they tacked on like Viper King or FitL (a song from the D/T not played in set 1) first like some bands often include a new song as the first song in an encore. 

I'm curious if they rotate songs, like maybe tonight they swap:

barstool warrior - Fall into the light
Pale Blue Dot - At Wits End

if they do that, I will make a good effort to see two shows.  If this is the static set list, I don't think I'm dishing out the money for the NYC show or making the drive to Philly and just stick with my NJ show I already have a ticket for. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2019, 07:53:27 AM »
Couple thoughts -

I'm not a fan of the set list. Honestly, as soon as I listened to D/T and liked it as much as I do, I knew I'd probably be underwhelmed with the set list on this tour because they are allocating so much time to playing SFAM, I figured that wouldn't leave a lot of time for new stuff. I was right.

The fact that they aren't playing songs like AWE, S2N, and FITL is criminal in my mind, those are incredibly strong DT songs. But, with SFAM taking up the majority of the run time of the show, they are really backed into a corner.

As for the staging of the show - it looks great, tons of production value and something different for the band, definitely a mini-Iron Maiden type set up. It's kinda weird to not see JP with his boogie cabs behind him (dummy ones or not) and without his signature foot rest things.

I was considering traveling 4 hours to see the tour since they aren't playing Pittsburgh, but I'm not sure now. I'd really like to see more D/T stuff, I think it's their strongest album in a long time and they just don't have available time in the set to represent it better, IMO.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
It's not too late to add those AWE, S2N, and FITL gentleman!     

You could fit two of those in place of ANTR.   

"never enough" right?   haha

The show will be amazing no matter what they play but I was dying to see AWE and the middle section of FITL.   

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »

Hopefully, they will do a second US leg (is that the plan?) where Scenes as a whole has been scrapped and more new songs will get played.
That would be awesome!  I love Scenes, but I would rather see a tour more dedicated to all of d/t mixed with a few gems from their classic to modern era. If they do a second U.S. leg without Scenes, that would allow alot of room for a nice variety including one epic such as Octavarium.  That might be a blessing in disguise for the cities that got missed on this leg of the tour. Seattle, Vancouver BC, Portland etc.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2019, 08:02:49 AM »
My thoughts on the set so far:

- They didn't play any of the songs Bosk sent them :'(
- Most underwhelming encore ever. PMU should be shelved permanently, it's been played to death.
- As much as I love SFAM, I wish they didn't commit to playing it every show in full.
- I get they wanted to play another heavy, C tuning song after UA, but why ANTR and not ITNOG?
- Only 4 new songs is sad to see. Hope they don't do the SFAM thing for the other legs of the tour and that they focus on D/T more.
- Hope there's an A set and a B set like the ADTOE tour. We'll find out today.
- The stage design looks AMAZING.

Hope more videos appear in YouTube soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2019, 08:09:45 AM »
Wow. Only 4 songs off the new album. :(

this is what I love about DT fans. a lot of other fans of other bands are mad when a band plays new songs instead of the hits. We (DT fans) want to hear all the new stuff and not the hit(s).  (to be clear this is not sarcasm, I really love that we all want the new stuff)

Offline krands85

« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2019, 08:10:18 AM »
Interesting set list.

-Only 4 new songs.
-Pull Me Under as the encore? (I stand by my long-stated opinion that it is not a good encore, but more of a good opener)
-16 minutes dedicated to A Nightmare to Remember? (good song, but if you are going to spend that much time on one song, why not do it on a song fans are clamoring for like Glass Prison or In the Name of God?)

Don't get me wrong, any set list with Scenes is really good on the strength of that alone, but considering I saw them play it twice back in 2000, I am not bummed at all about not seeing them this leg.  Hopefully, they will do a second US leg (is that the plan?) where Scenes as a whole has been scrapped and more new songs will get played.

This closely matches my thinking. I was very surprised when I saw the setlist and the choices made. If they're doing rotating setlists and planning a second leg without SFAM, then it's less surprising.

If they bring the same set to Europe at some point, I'm not sure I'd go, especially if the tickets are expensive.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline bill1971

« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2019, 08:19:13 AM »
Interesting set list.

-Only 4 new songs.

Except for me seeing Scenes once in 2000 I agree 100%. Not as disappointed that I am not seeing them this tour. I love that they are doing all of SFAM, especially for people that didn't see it back in the day. Also it would be cool to see Mangini play it. Anyhow, I'm sure it will be a fun show they always do great.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2019, 08:21:02 AM »

Hopefully, they will do a second US leg (is that the plan?) where Scenes as a whole has been scrapped and more new songs will get played.
That would be awesome!  I love Scenes, but I would rather see a tour more dedicated to all of d/t mixed with a few gems from their classic to modern era. If they do a second U.S. leg without Scenes, that would allow alot of room for a nice variety including one epic such as Octavarium.  That might be a blessing in disguise for the cities that got missed on this leg of the tour. Seattle, Vancouver BC, Portland etc.

I would love this, Pittsburgh isn't on the first leg, so if they came through again and did different markets without SFAM, that would be great.

It feels super weird to say that, I love SFAM, it's my second favorite DT record and one of my favorite records of all time. D/T is just fresh to me right now since it's the new stuff, and it's what I'm most excited to hear live.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
Set one really was what I expected. But I have to say, I don't like the non-DoT selections. Why play a 16 minute tune? Turn that into two or three shorter ones. Admittedly, I'm not really a fan of SC or BC&SL, but regardless, when you can get two songs in for the price of one, time-wise, they should do it, IMO. They have a ton of material, and while I know they like ANTR, its the longest tune in the set, and sorta makes it difficult to give the back catalog its due on a tour like this.

But other than not playing At Wit's End, I like the songs they chose from DoT. Really happy Barstool Warrior, PBD and Paralyzed are in there.  :tup

I love SFAM, it's my second favorite DT record and one of my favorite records of all time. D/T is just fresh to me right now since it's the new stuff, and it's what I'm most excited to hear live.

Me too. I know the SFAM thing is also a marketing thing, to drive ticket sales. But I would have been really OK with a suite of SFAM, and them playing the entire new record and some old songs.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2019, 08:28:28 AM »
I like that they're playing several new songs but the inclusion of ANTR is a concert killer for me. That song is way too freaking long and I do not want to spend 16 minutes of a show sitting through it. I don't like SFAM much either but I get why they're playing it... and then Pull Me Under. At first I was bummed I have to miss the Chicago date but now, not so much. ITPOE part 1 is really cool, I wonder why on Earth they chose ANTR instead of ITPOE part 2 which is infinitely cooler imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"