Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143686 times)

Offline Nachtmerrie

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #945 on: June 14, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
For the Oberhausen gig it was for sure promoted as an SFAM tour.
https://www.festivalstalker.de/2019/02/28/dream-theater-distance-over-time-tour/]

`Zuletzt haben Dream Theater noch einige Tourdaten für Deutschland veröffentlicht (Die Tour wird außerdem den 20. Geburtstag von “Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes from a Memory” feiern, indem die Band das gesamte Album aufführen wird)`

I am glad I waited to get tickets asvit is a long drive from my place as the announcement changed over time.

Thanks! You just confirmed what I was thinking but couldn't confirm for myself.
I got my tickets and probably will enjoy the show but at this point if feels a bit like a ripoff to pay for just 90 minutes and a few supportacts I don't really care for.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: June 14, 2019, 04:38:23 PM »
This rush for unknown bands to open seems like a move due to low sales, but I honestly didn't ever expect DT to be performing SFAM this run in Europe.  Were these shows advertised as "Evening with" or always as a festival?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #947 on: June 14, 2019, 04:44:24 PM »
Dream Theater: An Evening With Unknown Bands
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: June 14, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
 :lol

« Reply #949 on: June 15, 2019, 03:06:55 AM »
Hi people, Italian fan here.
Just like others have said, our local promoters at first were advertising this summer tour as "celebrating 20 years of Scenes from a Memory". The band's website made no mention of the "specially curated festival set" or whatever it says now.
While it seemed strange to me that they could play it in its entirety in a festival setting, not all tour dates are festival appearances. The one I'm going to, which is very expensive because it will take place in an ancient Roman amphiteater, doesn't even seem to feature a support act. So it seemed only natural to me that it would be longer than a festival gig. I understand that it can be difficult to switch from "An Evening With..." to a 10-song set from night to night, but they could at least add PMU and one or two songs from Scenes to give something more to the people who attend their non-festival gigs.
To sum things up, this will be my first time seeing them after 15 years of being a fan (I live in a part of Italy where international bands rarely tour), the tickets were as expensive as those for a day in a festival, and they're probably going to play only 10 songs. So... meh?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: June 15, 2019, 08:27:47 AM »
10$ says all this happened cause the promoters just went ahead and used the poster for the U.S. tour that says "SFAM 20th anniversary celebration" without bothering to research what the fuck that means. But I still say it's on the DT team to communicate that better from the beginning, make a new poster and send it out.
Kinda reminds me of the European ADTOE tour when some promoters used posters that featured Portnoy with the band.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
« Reply #951 on: June 15, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »
The problem is if you pay 80€ for a ticket like me in Dresden and it is not a festival, you expect a full set for your money
Carpe diem baby

Offline Lethean

« Reply #952 on: June 15, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »
Wow I'm sorry that some of you have spent so much on what you thought was a SFAM show, or at least a headlining show.  I remember hearing that the festival shows would not have SFAM played in it's entirety, but I did wonder about the headline shows.  Either way, I would have assumed, like others here have, that if it was billed as a headlining show that you'd get a full length set, whether it included Scenes or not.  Venues adding on new bands at the last minute is disappointing. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #953 on: June 15, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
I don't understand the complaints.  It should be a no brainer about DT not playing Scenes at these festival shows. Even if they headline, the time is limited at the venues in a festival setting. I wouldn't be disappointed at all, I would rather hear more d/t songs and a mix from their catalog.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: June 15, 2019, 03:24:33 PM »
I don't understand the complaints.  It should be a no brainer about DT not playing Scenes at these festival shows. Even if they headline, the time is limited at the venues in a festival setting. I wouldn't be disappointed at all, I would rather hear more d/t songs and a mix from their catalog.

I agree with this, usually festival times are pretty limited so it's either play all of scenes or play a mix of songs.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: June 15, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »

Nobody’s complaining about the festival shows.
The issue is with (allegedly) headlining gigs which were promoted as part as SFAM anniversary tour and then turn out to be some kind of festival format (Dream Fest) some of these with good/great opening bands (in my case Tesseract and Haken) but others with unknown local bands, and in all cases DT set consist at best in 90 minutes.
So the question is: why to pay for something that is different than what was promoted as an headline gig, but cost as a festival where in fact is DT + supporting acts (local bands)?!?

I’m quite curious to see the reaction from the crowd when in Verona LaBrie will announce that they’ll come back soon with the full show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: June 15, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
90 minutes is still a headline gig, if they were advertised as "evening with" then I'd understand more.  It does sound like this was promoted poorly in the local areas.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #957 on: June 15, 2019, 06:54:10 PM »
What I can say is that the band is aware, and that that info about these being "SFAM anniversary shows" did NOT come from within the DT organization.

EDIT:  In case people don't see the other thread:

Directly from the band:

The band understands that some of the shows on this recent leg were mistakenly billed as "SFAM 20th Anniversary" shows (for a very short time, which has since been corrected).  Please understand that that information did not come from the band, but was apparently a miscommunication issue somewhere farther down the chain.  As most of you know, SFAM alone will take up an entire set, which means it can only be played in an "evening with" format, and not at festival shows or shows with opening bands.  We are sorry if anyone was misled, but we hope you enjoyed these very special shows nonetheless.  We know we sure enjoyed playing them!  We hope to see you all again soon!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:38:17 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #958 on: June 16, 2019, 02:29:57 AM »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #959 on: June 22, 2019, 07:06:01 AM »
Does anyone know if the Hellfest show was broadcasted this time? It would be nice to see a pro footage from this tour with all the new songs played  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #960 on: June 22, 2019, 07:40:50 AM »
Does anyone know if the Hellfest show was broadcasted this time? It would be nice to see a pro footage from this tour with all the new songs played  :tup

Yeah that would be great!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: June 22, 2019, 12:14:46 PM »

I'm currently watching the Hellfest live stream (Within Temptation is on  :metal) here's the link:

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/089122-001-A/hellfest-2019-le-livestream/?fbclid=IwAR0DehuLEFYIUkTMoe7E5sffdfNBa1JtuQFqcsyrgKyNkLqsdCQBES1VrgA

There's a list of bands that are being streamed, Dream Theater is not on the list.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #962 on: June 22, 2019, 12:43:46 PM »
DT show was yesterday. Maybe it was streamed at the site then?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #963 on: June 22, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »
it wasn't (don't know why but it wasn't)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline devieira73

« Reply #964 on: June 22, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »
Oh well...thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: June 22, 2019, 05:24:43 PM »
it wasn't (don't know why but it wasn't)

Not every band is streamed.  DT was not listed, reason why could be anything.  Sucks though, it's fun watching these live streams since these festivals don't exist here.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #966 on: June 29, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »
I saw the concert in Sweden. Liked the festival area and Animals as Leader and TesseracT was really cool as support. But one thing bothered me.

The sound during the DT concert was quite bad. Of all (~10) concerts I seen with DT I can't remember being this disappointed with the sound. I stood next to the mix-tower so I expected something better. And TesseracT actually sounded good. Basically of all bands DT sounded the worst. Someone else noticed this during either the Swedish show or at other locations? Basically the keyboard was non-existing. I barely heard the piano during the break in Barstool Warrior before the guitar. James vocals was extremely dry without any reverb which kinda reminded me of the Live at Luna Park mix. It wasnt very balanced so everything sounded a bit messy. This is quite something that is common at festivals from my experience, but strange that DT for me had the worst.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #967 on: June 30, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »
I saw the concert in Sweden. Liked the festival area and Animals as Leader and TesseracT was really cool as support.
Were there any other opening acts at your show? Perhaps Andy McKee, Freak Kitchen and perhaps others?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #970 on: July 01, 2019, 03:07:17 AM »
Now it looks like every other set list. Whatever was there was fake.  :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #971 on: July 01, 2019, 04:56:43 AM »
If they play an instrumental in a festival set I'm gonna be pissed :lol It's a huge let down that At Wit's End is not part of the songs performed live. All in all, supremely disappointing setlist in the last 6-7 shows.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: July 01, 2019, 05:14:36 AM »
Pettor that sucks to hear about the sound being bad. This was probably the best DT has ever sounded to my ears.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #973 on: July 01, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
It's a huge let down that At Wit's End is not part of the songs performed live.

It really does boggle the mind that the tour is now over 3 months old and that song has yet to be played.  I know, I know, "they will play it eventually," but I cannot ever remember a DT tour where a song that was easily the most popular or two from the new album was not played this deep into a tour.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #974 on: July 01, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
I am assuming they are saving it for next tour leg. Songs I expect next tour are At Wits End, S2N and Surrender to Reason. Maybe we will get out of reach as well  :angel: ::)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #975 on: July 01, 2019, 09:49:56 AM »
It's a huge let down that At Wit's End is not part of the songs performed live.

It really does boggle the mind that the tour is now over 3 months old and that song has yet to be played.  I know, I know, "they will play it eventually," but I cannot ever remember a DT tour where a song that was easily the most popular or two from the new album was not played this deep into a tour.

You can blame the SFAM anniversary thing for that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #976 on: July 01, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »
I actually don't get how anyone could have thought that playing it was going to be a realistic possibility.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #977 on: July 01, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
But why would it be out of question? It's an epic song that both the band and the fans love. Maybe they're limited by the current tour concept, but once SFAM is dropped out or there comes a time to switch around some songs from the new album, I would be surprised if they didn't end up playing it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #978 on: July 01, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »
Eventually, yes.  But for this last tour cycle, it was practically a given that it would not be played.  It was out of the question just due to set length and constraints after doing SFAM and the three promo singles from the new album.  They were definitely going to play the three singles.  They were definitely going to play Barstool Warrior and Pale Blue Dot.  Those 5 songs from the new album don't leave much time at all from the other 12 studio albums that are not D/T or SFAM.  There was just no way AWE was going to be played.  And although I'm hoping for it next tour leg, I wouldn't even consider it a lock for that either given the other songs they want to play.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #979 on: July 01, 2019, 11:13:02 AM »
So have they announced anything about the next tour leg yet?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP