Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142229 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #875 on: May 02, 2019, 08:37:21 AM »
Mangini, JLB & JR stopped to talk to the fans waiting outside, JP and JM walked directly to the bus, I can imagine how beat they are.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #876 on: May 02, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
@geeeemo:  Hard to say, but I'm not counting on it.  I haven't asked because that isn't really a "band issue."  It's an issue with tour booking and promotion, and I don't really know the people that handle that.  But I get the sense that there isn't a huge market for them here.  This isn't a very big city, and I'm not sure they could fill a moderate sized hall.  And we don't really have anything that fits the size of venue they usually book that will book a metal show.  I think they're content to just go with what has worked.

I wondered if Sacramento had that type of venue..Guess I will be accumulating more Southwest points :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #877 on: May 02, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »
From JLB's facebook:

Last North American show of Distance Over Time in Austin, Texas. Amazing crowd, thank you to everyone of our fans who made it out to these shows. See u in the fall for another North American trek. There are so many more places to hit.
Raaawwwwk on 🤘

:metal :metal :metal

Sweet.  Here's hoping they a) come to St Louis, and b) aren't playing all of Scenes anymore on that leg and play a lot more new stuff.  Don't get me wrong, Scenes is one of my all-time favorite albums, but I want more new stuff.  :metal :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: May 02, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
JLB mentioned it during the show, he said he looks forward to coming back in the fall and that he's not looking forward to the European festivals cause it stinks on stage at these festivals and "smells like kaka, it does".
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #879 on: May 03, 2019, 12:14:52 AM »
JLB mentioned it during the show, he said he looks forward to coming back in the fall and that he's not looking forward to the European festivals cause it stinks on stage at these festivals and "smells like kaka, it does".

Blabbermouth, is that you? :rollin
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: May 03, 2019, 04:06:28 AM »
:lol he said it man, it was pretty funny! He turned around and asked Mangini to back his statement but Mangini wasn't even listening so JLB turned to JR and JR held his hand up to his nose in agreement heh

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: May 03, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
I don't know where to start with telling you about my experience with these shows so allow me to just go through the set list as a pragmatic way to go about it.
Intro: Love the music, where is that from? Wasn't False Awakening Suite written to sort of be their staple intro? I missed the last tour so I don't know when that idea got sacked. I prefer FAS and the animation sequence that came with it, but this new stuff is pretty good too.
Untethered Angel: Missed most of it on the Dallas show, as did dozens of other fans, venue fuck up. Saw it complete along with the intro in Austin. Sounds great live, an okay opener.
ANTR: I love what JLB did with the "day after day" section, even prefer it to the studio version.
Paralyzed: Another D/T track that works great live. I got it at both my shows and I was happy about it as I much prefer it to Fall into The Light
Barstool Warrior: What a great live vibe that track's got, sang my heart out on this one and JLB nailed it.
Enemies: Band on top of their game, it worked great at this spot in the setlist.
Pale Blue Dot: Best live sounding D/T song, easily the highlight of the first set. The parts that I felt doesn't flow well on the album version were just perfect in a live setting.
Intermission: The first set flew by. They played these 20's/30's swing music to set the mood for SFAM, very cool.
SFAM:
The room went wild as soon as the ticking started, excitement was through the roof! Again; everybody on top of their game. SFAM flew by even faster than the first set, it's hard to believe this was an "Evening With" show. The whole thing was wonderful but Fatal Tragedy, Home and The Dance of Eternity were something else, just orgasmic! I lost my voice during Home on the first night, on the second night I was struggling from the beginning :lol
At the very last instrumental section of Fatal Tragedy, which btw was the first thing I ever heard for DT and got me to check out the band out, JR gets his keytar and jams it out with JP at that upper level of the stage. At the Dallas show the keytar didn't work so I didn't get that cool visual until Austin.
I sang "I sense the need to try and clarify my memory, my quest begins today" as I've been listening to the official bootleg version almost exclusively for the last few years, I wasn't even thinking when I did it, until dude next to me asked where is that from heh
I thought Home would lack a bit without MP's back vocals, the only instance where I would miss MP's vocals, but it worked just fine with JP and the backing track. It was great.
There's no audible hint of the sex scene in Home, I don't know if this was an artistic choice or possibly cause JP is more conservative now than he was when SFAM came out.
The Dance of Eternity, geez.. nothing to do but gush in praise. Simply my favorite 4 consecutive minutes of Dream Theater, a song has sat in my top 10 and top 5 DT tracks since I heard it. I had never seen it live before, needless to say I was ecstatic. I couldn't hear the Metropolis Pt.1 sample that should play in the intro of TDOE, neither could I hear the "open your eyes Victoria" or the gun shot in Finally Free.
One Last Time was surprisingly a bigger sing along experience for the audience than The Spirit Carries On.
The little guitar solo that JP closes Finally Free with was awesome.
Overall it was such amazing experiences to see these shows. Gun to my head to bitch about something; I'd say I didn't like the new presentation of SFAM on the back drop, it gave it a comical edge and I'd always found SFAM to be very emotionally engaging in a melancholic way. I much prefer the videos with actors from LSFNY.
In Dallas I caught a JP pick mid-air. In Austin, another one landed in my hair  ;D
At the Dallas show, we left directly after the show since I was dead tired from the 7 hour trip and limping already. Also Barto was my ride to the hotel and he had to work the next day so I didn't even consider waiting out for the band.
At the Austin show, I hung out with my wife by the buses. Not many people were there, one of the great benefits doing the shows on weekdays.
JM came out first, he walked directly to the bus with his head down so I knew he didn't feel like stopping and I didn't approach, just yelled out "Great show John, thank you", he looked up, smiled and waved then right on to the bus.
Around 45 minutes of mosquito bites later, Mr. Mangini appeared with a big smile on his face and walked directly in our direction, we had the exchange I mentioned a few posts ago. He had a marker hung around his neck and luckily I had brought the D/T booklet with me from the car, he signed it for me and we took a picture, he could not have been nicer.
10 minutes later THE MAN emerged! Mr. Labrie himself, also with a big smile, also walked directly to us, took out his marker and signed something for the couple standing with us, then without asking he reached and grabbed my D/T booklet from my hand and signed it hehe. A girl asked if she can look at his rings and asked him about one of them and he said "It's a pirate thing", she laughed asking "You like pirates?" so I intervened "You are in the presence of the pirate", he chuckled and said "There's your answer". Then he took a picture with them and was about to take a picture with us so I said "can I say a few things real quick?", he smiled and nodded, I said "Your stage presence and voice are as good as ever and I love your work on the new album, especially At Wit's End and Out of Reach", he thanked me and then I remembered what SystematicThought has posted here about JLB losing a friend recently. So I told him I was sorry for his loss and he seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, I told him I read on the forums that he mentioned something about his friend and I assumed it was why he teared up during Through Her Eyes, he told me "Oh yeah, honestly you get caught up on tour and things from real life slip your mind, but thank you very much", then we took a photo and I thanked him for stopped to talk to us then on to the bus he went.
A few minutes later I saw Maddy leaving, I was the only one to recognize him and yelled out "Great job Maddy, thank you!", he smiled and waived, wished us a good night and was on his way. Then JR's assistant came out, I don't know his name but he's been giving his cellphone to JR every night to take videos of the screaming crowd in the front row and I was prominent in these videos on both night heh, so I asked him where he posts them and he told me he doesn't.
About 30 minutes later, JP and JR emerged with a small posse. JP was acting like JM, head down and walking straight to the bus, so I knew not to bother him, a dude I had been chatting with, waiting with us, started going after him but I told him if he didn't look in our direction then he doesn't wanna be bothered. JR however looked at us and smiled so we went to him, took a picture, he miraculously recognized my wife from when we met him during the ADTOE tour cause they had an exchange about Egypt back then, I complimented his performance and thanked him for stopping to say hello and he signed my D/T booklet. Some other fans were being pushy and wanted to take multiple pictures and sign a couple of things, he was graceful but his bodyguard (I guess?) told them they need to wrap it up. Before he walked away I thanked him for his patience and he seemed to appreciate that. Some of these people seem to forget that the band doesn't have to talk to us outside the venue, we didn't pay for that part, so be a little fuckin considerate and brief ffs.
Thank you DT, it was well worth every penny spent and every mile driven.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: May 03, 2019, 07:18:29 AM »
My trophies:

I took very few pictures from the shows and they were all great. I'm not gonna flood you guys with them but I thought this one deserved to be shared  ;D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #883 on: May 03, 2019, 08:16:46 AM »
Those are good looking picks. On past tours I've never seen him throw out more than one or two, and it's always to a specific person. Now he seems to have gotten all Rick Nielsen with throwing picks out all over the place. The only one I've ever gotten was an unmarked pick that he just happened to have in his pocket.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: May 03, 2019, 11:15:15 AM »
Yeah, I also think he's got these picks for fans only, he's still playing with a different pick with a special design like he told me and my brother in law at that boogie event in 2012 and Mrs. Petrucci had also mentioned here back then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #885 on: May 03, 2019, 06:47:07 PM »
Those are good looking picks. On past tours I've never seen him throw out more than one or two, and it's always to a specific person. Now he seems to have gotten all Rick Nielsen with throwing picks out all over the place. The only one I've ever gotten was an unmarked pick that he just happened to have in his pocket.

I have an unmarked pick from the I&W tour. Two I think.

Anyway, the Dallas show is up on Dime.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RipRokken

« Reply #886 on: May 04, 2019, 07:32:03 AM »
I was also lucky to get a pick in Dallas. The ones he threw out were taped to his mic stand, and I could swear they were what he was using himself but not sure — I just think I remember him reaching for one and using it. It’s a smaller white Tortex pick with the D/T logo on one side and his sig on the other like in the picture above.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #887 on: May 04, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »
Today is their first festival date in Mexico, I’m really curious to see the new/modified setlist they’ll play and how different it’ll be from the ones they’ll play in Europe next month.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: May 04, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
huh.. I would have thought they get rid of IPOE or ANTR to keep Paralyzed and another SFAM song for the festivals. As I Am is an odd closer but I'll take it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2019, 10:41:33 PM »
Holy shit, this was probably of my favorite shows by Dream Theater. It was nuts watching them play such a big stage in front of 80k people.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:20:57 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2019, 10:50:44 PM »
They’ve been playing PMU for the whole leg but decide not to play it on a festival? AIA again? No Paralyzed? Other than that, it looks very cool and it’s possible that they’ll play some of these songs on their next/not SFAM shows.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Mladen

« Reply #892 on: May 05, 2019, 04:36:13 AM »
Whoa, when did this happen? That's an awesome festival set.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #893 on: May 05, 2019, 06:42:01 AM »
I love seeing the return of Peruvian Skies, which has long been a favorite of mine, not to mention a killer live tune.  :hat

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #894 on: May 05, 2019, 06:42:29 AM »
Sure, good festival set.  I haven't looked but AIA has always been an opener, right?  So in a few years they can close with UA  :biggrin:

For me Peruvian Skies has always been one of those songs that I'm kinda meh about, but then if I actually listen to the song, I enjoy it.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #895 on: May 05, 2019, 07:20:43 AM »
Heard a few mins from As I Am right before the Austin VIP session as we were lined up in the lobby.

Peruvian Skies is a very underrated song. It kicks ass in a live setting, specially that middle Metallica-esque section.

Online Mladen

« Reply #896 on: May 05, 2019, 07:57:57 AM »
They've actually closed with As I am before, I saw them do it in 2012. It works well as a closer.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #897 on: May 05, 2019, 09:01:33 AM »
It was the encore on a ton of 2011/2012 shows.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #898 on: May 05, 2019, 09:08:27 AM »
Catch a glimpse of how big it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOqH9Mg5PKQ
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #899 on: May 05, 2019, 09:14:10 AM »
For the record, as much as I'm basically done with the overplayed As I Am it worked wonders and I can see why they're including it. Everyone knows it, everyone loves it. Considering that most of any given festival's attendance is definitely not DT exclusive it makes sense.

Also, they did a cool Game of Thrones-inspired animation for that song which seems fitting for some reason  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #900 on: May 05, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »
Wow!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: May 05, 2019, 09:37:48 AM »
Concert looks like it was awesome and if you went the day before you could have seen Paul Stanley's zipline malfunction during their set  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #902 on: May 05, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
For the record, as much as I'm basically done with the overplayed As I Am it worked wonders and I can see why they're including it. Everyone knows it, everyone loves it. Considering that most of any given festival's attendance is definitely not DT exclusive it makes sense.

Also, they did a cool Game of Thrones-inspired animation for that song which seems fitting for some reason  :D

Did the go right into Lie after TDOE? That sounds like it'd be a cool transition.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #903 on: May 05, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »
Catch a glimpse of how big it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOqH9Mg5PKQ
:omg:  AWESOME, thanks for sharing!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lowe2005

« Reply #904 on: May 05, 2019, 03:49:14 PM »
As someone else pointed out, rather weird to be playing PMU and then not do it at a festival. These three inclusions explain Mangini’s whole learning songs on the road thing. Honestly expected way more SFAM and no new inclusions for the festivals. Most of the album feels like itnwould work well at a festival so I’m not sure why they wanted to bring out PS, Lie and AIA but I’m sure they’ll enjoy the tour more this way.
Did Lie feature The Mirror reprise?

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #905 on: May 06, 2019, 02:33:24 AM »
Did the go right into Lie after TDOE? That sounds like it'd be a cool transition.

https://youtu.be/T74mCjX4DNw?t=350
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #906 on: May 06, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »

https://youtu.be/T74mCjX4DNw?t=350

That was weird.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #907 on: May 06, 2019, 02:32:47 PM »
In a written interview for a brazilian fan club, JLB said that DT will play all the Scenes when they come to South America. 2 good news at once!
https://www.facebook.com/335722947283379/posts/380817452773928?s=100000056893649&v=i&sfns=mo
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #908 on: May 06, 2019, 10:10:33 PM »
It really seems like a waste of that giant screen behind them to just show graphics and not the band.  Sure, there were screens on the side, but even without those at smaller venues they should be showing the guys on the giant screen, at least sometimes.

Other than that, DT sounds great, I hope I can catch them on the next leg of North America.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #909 on: May 07, 2019, 06:12:21 AM »
In a written interview for a brazilian fan club, JLB said that DT will play all the Scenes when they come to South America. 2 good news at once!
https://www.facebook.com/335722947283379/posts/380817452773928?s=100000056893649&v=i&sfns=mo

They only needed to ask him when :'(