Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142220 times)

Offline EPIC Outro

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #805 on: April 19, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »

I always just assumed TLF was a legit classic and that the majority of DT fans knew it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #806 on: April 19, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »
If the band performs for example fifteen songs in a live show, they might as well commit to performing at least two deep cuts every night for the hard core fans. It shouldn't be a big deal if most of the people aren't familiar with a song or two. Some of them might actually appreciate getting something special or even get introduced to a cool song they haven't heard before.

Some of my fondest memories from concerts are those surprise songs that bands rarely perform.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #807 on: April 19, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »
Is The Bigger Picture really such a deep cut? It's only like six years old

No, I agree its not a deep cut, but I would classify it as a song that fans were pining for, and therefore credit the band for appealing to such fan cravings.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #808 on: April 19, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »
I missed the Octavarium tour proper, so I wouldn't have known Another Won (it was played at the show I would have attended in Cleveland), and would've been sad because if I'm not familiar with a song ahead of time, my live experience is diminished some b/c I don't know how to "listen" to the song in a way that maximizes its impact on me.
I'm the complete opposite. If it's one of my favorite bands and they start playing something I'm not familiar with, I get more excited and pay even more attention to what it is that they're playing because it's new to me. That's exactly how I felt the first time I saw them (1993 summer tour) when they started playing Puppies on Acid before going into Take the Time, all of To Live Forever, the reworked intro to Status Seeker and Eve. Same thing has been true of all the other modifications/changes/additions they've made to old songs, playing new songs (or at least live instrumental jams) and covers whenever I've seen them live.

I always just assumed TLF was a legit classic and that the majority of DT fans knew it.
Perhaps for older fans, but judging by some of the discussion here, it doesn't seem to be the case for newer and casual fans who likely don't have the Live in Tokyo video or the Greatest Hit compilation.

Some of my fondest memories from concerts are those surprise songs that bands rarely perform.
Amen! One of my favorite DT experiences was when they played all of Rush's Necromancer. It wasn't something anyone could have foreseen them doing, and when they first started to play it, I thought they were starting to play Peruvian Skies. Only problem was that they had already played it earlier in the show! When I finally realized what song they were doing, I became so giddy with excitement!! Of course I was probably one of 10 people at the venue who had a clue as to what song they were playing, but man, I was riding so high from getting to see them perform such a rare and unusual cut from my second favorite band - and this despite the fact that Necromancer has never been a Rush song I rate highly. But DT did that song beautifully, and IMO, their version is superior to the original.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #809 on: April 19, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
Perhaps for older fans, but judging by some of the discussion here, it doesn't seem to be the case for newer and casual fans who likely don't have the Live in Tokyo video or the Greatest Hit compilation.

Sad! Love it so much. Will never understand how it was cut from I&W.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: April 20, 2019, 06:16:50 AM »
Saw them at The Warner in DC a couple of nights ago.  ANTR was fun, but a couple more cuts from D/T could have been used in their place. 

That said, I liked the stage set up (except JP was partially blocked from my view on the guitar solo of TSCO).  I was never a fan of 'Home' until I watched what Petrucci had to do that night.  He also did a lot more BVs than normal.  The sound was exceptional (still glad for my earplug usage 50% of the time).  James sounded top notch, the band yet again put on a great show, and they appear to be having so much fun up there.

One downside:  I can't focus on what each member is doing all the time.  I love watching JPs guitar playing, but I know I have to watch JM, so I'll watch him for a bit, but I have to watch MM doing all this amazing stuff during the 'simplest' of parts, and then there is JR, ......

It's just not fair! :tup
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:00:43 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DTA

« Reply #811 on: April 20, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »

Sad! Love it so much. Will never understand how it was cut from I&W.

DLPM and TLF were replaced with Another Day and Surrounded right? I think Surrounded is better than both of those songs, but Another Day is much weaker imo. To Live Forever could've fit perfectly after Pull Me Under on the tracklist.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #812 on: April 20, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »
TLF is too reminiscent of U2 IMHO. Not one I would have liked.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #813 on: April 20, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »
 ??? ???

I've been listening to To Live Forever for 25 years and have never once thought that it sounded like U2.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #814 on: April 20, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
One other question: It seems to me that this tour seems to be one which almost everyone here seems to enjoy (those who have attended it anyway), am I right?

Offline DTA

« Reply #815 on: April 20, 2019, 09:51:23 AM »
One other question: It seems to me that this tour seems to be one which almost everyone here seems to enjoy (those who have attended it anyway), am I right?

I enjoyed it, but I'm honestly disappointed with ANTR and ITPOE 1 being included over MM-era songs. The entire second set was an old album, so the first set should've been dedicated to ADTOE, DT12, TA (maybe a short medley), and D/T.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #816 on: April 20, 2019, 10:07:07 AM »

I enjoyed it, but I'm honestly disappointed with ANTR and ITPOE 1 being included over MM-era songs. The entire second set was an old album, so the first set should've been dedicated to ADTOE, DT12, TA (maybe a short medley), and D/T.

What's most likely to happen is that they'll do more legs of the tour, focusing mostly on D/T and the back catalog as well. I guess we'll have to wait after their European festival dates to see where and what they'll play next.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: April 20, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »

What's most likely to happen is that they'll do more legs of the tour, focusing mostly on D/T and the back catalog as well. I guess we'll have to wait after their European festival dates to see where and what they'll play next.

That's what I'm guessing. I hope they come back around to my neck of the woods.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #818 on: April 20, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
??? ???

I've been listening to To Live Forever for 25 years and have never once thought that it sounded like U2.
Maybe Max is referring to the section with the delay effect on the guitar? Many U2 songs from their mid '80s albums feature that sound heavily.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #819 on: April 20, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »
??? ???

Maybe Max is referring to the section with the delay effect on the guitar? Many U2 songs from their mid '80s albums feature that sound heavily.
I actually was yes.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #820 on: April 20, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
So my two oldest sons and I went to the concert in Nashville last Wednesday night....finally got back home a bit ago to be able to post about it. I will say that it was my favorite concert I've ever been to. Now, that's not saying a lot as I'm not like cramx or others here who have been to hundreds of concerts....but I've seen DT (7) times now, Neal Morse twice, Haken twice, Sons of Apollo...so, not a lot but enough.

I say it was my favorite for a couple reasons. One, the entire band sounded spot on....they were incredible. Note for note with one another....it was fun to watch. And James Labrie was awesome  :metal  I know he catches a ton of flack from people but seeing him live belting out notes that some are convinced he can't hit any longer was fun to watch. I had some questions about the opening set list and the song choices but after seeing/hearing it those questions are no longer there. Freaking loved the set! And, you should know....that although this was a seated theater from the opening note the entire crowd stood....and this may have been the most interactive crowd I've seen at a DT concert. Very lively and very in to it....was glad to be a part of it.

Second set 'SFAM' is why that concert sits at the top for me right now. It. Was. Incredible. From 'go' they were in the zone and played the  :censored out of that album. Each one of them nailed their parts...you'd have thought they had the CD playing if not for the added 'chunkiness' and 'sound' of the live experience. I can't express just how great it was to see/hear that album played live as I didn't get a chance to see it back in the day.

But, the icing on the cake was after the concert as me and the boys were walking back to our van....I said to them "Let's go hang out by the tour buses and see if we get lucky and meet one or two of them". We had nowhere to be and We had spotted where the buses were parked earlier that day while walking around the venue and the city....so we headed over and just camped out a bit. It was around 10:30 or so and there was maybe another (10) people there with the same idea. We had small talk amongst us....and around 11:30 or so we noticed that a lot of the VIP pass people were exiting the stage door to the street. A security guard told us they were getting close to being done with the after show VIPs so they may be out soon.

Sure enough around 11:45 the first one to come out was Jordan. Someone went up to him rather quickly and attempted to shake his hand but he said 'Aw man...I can't shake your hand...I'm a bit sick." He was pulling luggage and he went straight to the bus....so, we were a bit bummed but understood since he was sick and just played a show....BUT...about a minute later he came back off the bus and asked if anyone wanted a picture or autograph!!

Of course!!! So, he took his time with the small group....me and the boys took a pic with him and thanked him a ton for the show and what not...he was very nice despite looking pretty tired. And, as he was finishing up with a couple people.....out of nowhere John Myung was walking towards the bus. He was so cool.. The boys and I happened to be in his path and has he approached us he says "Hey guys" and he extended his hand to shake mine! I shook it, asked if my sons and I could get a picture with him to which he said "Of course" and we took a quick pic....told him he sounded great and thanked him for his time. He thanked us for coming to the show and then did the same for the others there.

Then....Mike Mangini comes out. And man, that dude was hilarious!! First off, I think he may have talked to the group of us for a good 10 minutes...maybe 15....just funny and cracking us up. He spent a minute or two with just my sons and I which was CRAZY because well....it's Mike Mangini....and he was so kind and funny with me and the boys. It was so surreal. He took some pics and signed some stuff....honestly, he was just yucking it up and having a blast.

JP and James came out at the same time. Me and the boys got to JP first and it was just like the others.....he was so nice and kind....thanked us for coming....my kiddos complimented him a bit and he was gracious and we had some small talk. He thanked us for coming to the show and we got a picture with him and again, he did the same for everyone there.

Then James was just like Mike. Dude was working the dozen of us or so there like he was still on stage. Very nice, very funny....and just like with Mike...James spent a couple minutes just talking with me and my kiddos. He was great...such a nice guy. He took his time with everyone and eventually got on the bus and that was that.

The group of us all looked at one another and were in shock that just happened and were all on cloud 9. It was so cool. I mean, those guys had just played a three hour show....spent another hour with VIP pass people....then walk out to us. They could have easily said "Hey guys...thanks for coming to the show....we're really tired...can't sign or take pics right now....sorry." They could have easily done that and that would have been acceptable and understandable.

But they didn't, each and everyone of them gave us a real interaction and moment in time and for me....memories with my kiddos I'll never forget....they all were kind and nice and gracious. There's no other way to say it other than it was an incredible experience.

Here's the pics we got....funny enough I let my oldest pic what he wanted to wear and he chooses the 'Sons of Apollo' shirt  :lol   Ooops!  :omg:  None of them said anything and he did have a DT hat on so....anyway....

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #821 on: April 20, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
Wow!!! What a great experience for you and your boys! congrats dude! Great pictures!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #822 on: April 20, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »
^^That right there is what separates Dream Theater from every other band IMO. They’re over 30 years into their careers, having had experiences that most couldn’t even dream of, and after all of this time, they’re still humble and grateful towards their fans. It’s so awesome to see people who are so successful be so nice.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: April 20, 2019, 05:26:32 PM »
So awesome Gary, saw your pictures before and was looking forward to hearing the story.  That is so awesome, even with the SOA shirt.  Makes those pictures pretty unique  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: April 20, 2019, 05:32:56 PM »
So awesome Gary, saw your pictures before and was looking forward to hearing the story.  That is so awesome, even with the SOA shirt.  Makes those pictures pretty unique  :lol

I probably should have made him change his shirt but oh well.  :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #825 on: April 20, 2019, 06:30:43 PM »
Saw them at The Warner in DC a couple of nights ago.  ANTR was fun, but a couple more cuts from D/T could have been used in their place. 

Don't disagree, but man did it bring down the house.

He also did a lot more BVs than normal.

BV?

The sound was exceptional (still glad for my earplug usage 50% of the time).  James sounded top notch, the band yet again put on a great show

Saw them at the Tower Theater. Sounds stupid, but, this is the most metal I think they've ever sounded to me.

DLPM and TLF were replaced with Another Day and Surrounded right?

I remember hearing something to that effect.

To Live Forever could've fit perfectly after Pull Me Under on the tracklist.

How about after Metropolis? Nice cool down, and it goes into UAGM well. Don't have to replace anything.

??? ???

I think either Petrucci or Portnoy (or both) have made the U2 comparison or said it was inspired by U2. But, even though some of the arpeggiated guitar stuff reminds me of The Edge, overall I agree with you.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #826 on: April 20, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »
As I said the other day, great pics, Gary. Glad you and the kiddos had a blast!!  :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #827 on: April 20, 2019, 08:31:42 PM »
Gary, the Myung pic is the best.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #828 on: April 20, 2019, 08:54:23 PM »
Nice pics and story, man! :metal

And that's the closest we'll ever see DT to SOA :lol Just don't let your kids wear a D/T shirt for a MP concert, we all know how he reacts to that :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: April 20, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »
??? ???

My recollection is that the band wrote the song after seeing Rattle and Hum, as a deliberate U2-type song.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #830 on: April 20, 2019, 10:01:39 PM »
Very nice story gmillerdrake! Looks like your boys had a blast!

??? ???

My recollection is that the band wrote the song after seeing Rattle and Hum, as a deliberate U2-type song.
That's pretty much it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #831 on: April 20, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »

No way.  The fact that the DT guys don't have any problem with that, or anything else MP-related, just shows you how much class and maturity they have and have always had since the split.

Cool story, bro.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #832 on: April 20, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »

No way.  The fact that the DT guys don't have any problem with that, or anything else MP-related, just shows you how much class and maturity they have and have always had since the split.

Cool story, bro.
I was going to comment exactly that. I think that the guys probably appreciated a lot the fact that people as young as those kids are attending the band's shows, and are interested in progressive rock.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #833 on: April 21, 2019, 05:17:16 AM »
Awesome story, man. I had the exact same impression when I met the guys in 2015. Myung was the only one that managed to "escape|, but the others were really nice and generous with their time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #834 on: April 21, 2019, 06:20:03 AM »
I can't help but think Gary was just using his kids as pawns. Dress them up in Dad's band t shirts. Wave at the band when the come to the bus..
Gary without the kids..the band is probably like..who's this nerd?   :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: April 21, 2019, 07:51:15 AM »

Initially in Europe for the Images and Words and Beyond, they played The Gift of Music, A Life Left Behind, and Our New World.  They quickly dropped ALLB and continued the rest of europe with the other two TA songs.  When it came to the US leg of the tour, they dropped both TA songs in favor of DLPM and TLF.  Eventually they dropped DLPM and kept TLF, and eventually dropped TLF and replaced it with TSCO.  Another Day and Surrounded were already being played in the second set for I&W.

Personally, I'd love to see them bring back a three song part of TA.

Offline DTA

« Reply #836 on: April 21, 2019, 08:26:23 AM »

Initially in Europe for the Images and Words and Beyond, they played The Gift of Music, A Life Left Behind, and Our New World.  They quickly dropped ALLB and continued the rest of europe with the other two TA songs.  When it came to the US leg of the tour, they dropped both TA songs in favor of DLPM and TLF.  Eventually they dropped DLPM and kept TLF, and eventually dropped TLF and replaced it with TSCO.  Another Day and Surrounded were already being played in the second set for I&W.

I meant on the actual I&W album tracklist. Obviously, I didn't think they played the same song twice in the same show.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: April 21, 2019, 08:45:42 AM »
That's awesome gmillergrake, something similar happened to me at the ADTOE tour!
So the VIP people see the band after the show? I always thought it was before.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: April 21, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
That's awesome gmillergrake, something similar happened to me at the ADTOE tour!
So the VIP people see the band after the show? I always thought it was before.

So did I. But, the same people I noticed leaving the Pre show meet and greet were exiting the stage door to the street after the show. One of them even gave my oldest son his VIP Distance over Time lanyard as he walked by us.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: April 21, 2019, 08:58:53 AM »

I meant on the actual I&W album tracklist. Obviously, I didn't think they played the same song twice in the same show.

oops, carry on  :lol