Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143310 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #770 on: April 18, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »
I'd rather see disc 1 of SDOIT live than the song itself, just my opinion.

If they did that, it would give me a 20+ minute bathroom/merch stand/beer break after Misunderstood.  TGD and Disappear are, IMO, terrible songs that I hope never again see the light of day.

If they did disc 1 as a set, I do think disappear would just lead people to go to the bathroom early before intermission, ill give you that.  They'd have to do another song after, but TGD is solid.  I've never seen it live and would like to even if its not a favorite song of mine.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #771 on: April 18, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
I've been really surprised by the less than enthusiastic response A Nightmare to Remember is getting from more than a few people ITT.

I think it's a great song.  Great groove, beautiful lilting middle section, tells a little story...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #772 on: April 18, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
You spelled "Eve" and "Hollow Years" wrong.

CAAAARRY ME TO THE SHOOOOOORELIIIIIIINE!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #773 on: April 18, 2019, 10:42:42 AM »
I would *love* to see Disappear live.  Sure, some people would go to the bathroom.  Happens to just about every ballad.  I don't care.  It's a beautiful song. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: April 18, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
As long as Disappear is played at it's recorded pace and doesn't feel severely sped up, I am all for seeing it live.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #775 on: April 18, 2019, 11:19:01 AM »
Disappear is the most haunting, beautiful song they've ever written. I think I need to see this one live more than any other.

Fun note: My awesome mom talked security at the Oakdale Theater into letting me stick around to meet the band after their 6 Degrees show nearly 20 years ago (she went too as she also loves DT). I told James "I can't believe you played 6 Degrees in it's entirety!" and he stared at me blankly and said "I don't think we did." Then he realized I meant the song, not the whole album, and  tiredly signed my shirt. 'Twas a moment!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:02:27 PM by EPIC Outro »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #776 on: April 18, 2019, 12:22:51 PM »
I'd like to see an all (or mostly) rarities DT set, but I'm entirely sure it won't happen anyway.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #777 on: April 18, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »
I'd like to see an all (or mostly) rarities DT set, but I'm entirely sure it won't happen anyway.
As much as we diehards would love that, it will *never* happen until MP returns (and I say that, not expecting him to).

I spoke with JP after the Milwaukee show, and we got to talking about a setlist I had e-mailed him as a joke that was full of "deep" cuts and rarities, which led to us talking about how they included DLPM in the setlist for the last run of shows in 2017. He said he was super excited about including it and figured the fans would be eating it up. But he said that outside of a couple of diehards in each audience going completely nuts, the vast majority of the audience just sat/stood there with blank expressions on their faces. So they dropped it. I'm sure that was the same reason why they dropped TLF a little later on in that same tour leg (despite the fact that it is much more well known), and I know it was the reason TGD was also dropped from the first proper run of shows they did in North America in 2011. I reminded him that it's OK for it to be that way, because there are the crazy diehards like us in every audience, few as we may be, that eat that stuff up and are the songs we live to hear them perform.

So for the time being, the best you can imagine getting would be one or two rarities in a show...that is until enough shows go by and JP opts to drop them in favor of something more popular.  :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #778 on: April 18, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »
I remember when they played DLPM in Oakland. There were like maybe 10 of us going bananas. Everyone else had no idea what they were playing. It was...shocking. But man, what a treat.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: April 18, 2019, 01:58:30 PM »
I remember when they played DLPM in Oakland. There were like maybe 10 of us going bananas. Everyone else had no idea what they were playing. It was...shocking. But man, what a treat.

I am so pissed at myself for missing DLPM! I skipped that tour. Pretty sure they played it in LA right? lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #780 on: April 18, 2019, 01:59:45 PM »

DLPM??

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #781 on: April 18, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »

DLPM??
Don't Look Past Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TjT_GblFc see here if you're not familiar with the piece. It was to appear on I/W back in the day but it was left off)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #782 on: April 18, 2019, 02:12:37 PM »
Setlist Scotty - Thanks for that insight. I always wondered why that song was dropped from their setlist. I hope they don't shy away from deep cuts completely.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #783 on: April 18, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »
they included DLPM in the setlist for the last run of shows in 2017. He said he was super excited about including it and figured the fans would be eating it up. But he said that outside of a couple of diehards in each audience going completely nuts, the vast majority of the audience just sat/stood there with blank expressions on their faces. So they dropped it. I'm sure that was the same reason why they dropped TLF a little later on in that same tour leg (despite the fact that it is much more well known), and I know it was the reason TGD was also dropped from the first proper run of shows they did in North America in 2011.

Phew, I got to catch all of these songs before they were dropped from these tours.  The Great Debate in particular looks to have been dropped immediately after my show in 2011 (Pittsburgh).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: April 18, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
I was happy to see TLF but was so bummed DLPM was dropped by the time they came to the east coast, its not a favorite song but it's a deep cut that would have been special to see.  I'm happy I got to see them do hourglass that tour, it was a nice gesture for the final night.  I really hope they don't abandon playing more rare songs though, even if its only for a few shows, those shows go down in history for those fans who get to see it as something more memorable than seeing TSCO for the 3rd time.  And I say that after absolutely loving seeing that song last week.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #785 on: April 18, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »
they included DLPM in the setlist for the last run of shows in 2017. He said he was super excited about including it and figured the fans would be eating it up. But he said that outside of a couple of diehards in each audience going completely nuts, the vast majority of the audience just sat/stood there with blank expressions on their faces. So they dropped it.

Well...IMO, DLPM isn't a very good song, and James's performance of it wasn't particularly good (at least not at the show I saw).  I'm not sure why it would come as a surprise to anyone -- and especially not anyone in the band -- that very few people know these songs that were never "officially" released.  Maybe the reaction would have been a little different if James had introduced it before they played it and explained what it was and why they were playing it.  While DLPM might be well known here, I don't think this site is representative of DT's fan base as a whole.  It's like making a physics joke at a meeting of physics department TAs and getting a great reaction and expecting the same joke to get the same reaction in a commencement speech for an entire college.  Even a song like "To Live Forever," which got two official releases, isn't going to be really well known.  I don't know how well the "Lie" single or Greatest Hit sold, but I imagine most folks who had bought all of their albums saw no need for either (I didn't buy either, although I did buy the remixed version of PMU on Itunes).

I am so pissed at myself for missing DLPM! I skipped that tour. Pretty sure they played it in LA right? lol

Yup.  You didn't miss much (at least as far as that song goes -- the show as a whole was great).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #786 on: April 18, 2019, 03:34:26 PM »
As much as we diehards would love that, it will *never* happen until MP returns (and I say that, not expecting him to).

I spoke with JP after the Milwaukee show, and we got to talking about a setlist I had e-mailed him as a joke that was full of "deep" cuts and rarities, which led to us talking about how they included DLPM in the setlist for the last run of shows in 2017. He said he was super excited about including it and figured the fans would be eating it up. But he said that outside of a couple of diehards in each audience going completely nuts, the vast majority of the audience just sat/stood there with blank expressions on their faces. So they dropped it. I'm sure that was the same reason why they dropped TLF a little later on in that same tour leg (despite the fact that it is much more well known), and I know it was the reason TGD was also dropped from the first proper run of shows they did in North America in 2011. I reminded him that it's OK for it to be that way, because there are the crazy diehards like us in every audience, few as we may be, that eat that stuff up and are the songs we live to hear them perform.

So for the time being, the best you can imagine getting would be one or two rarities in a show...that is until enough shows go by and JP opts to drop them in favor of something more popular.  :P

Funny, DLPM and TGD are two of the three songs that have been played on tours I've seen them, along with Speak to Me, that got played but not at the show (or most likely) shows I went to. Really disappointed in not getting to hear those three, would love to, especially DLPM which I've always considered to be an awesome song.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #787 on: April 18, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »
I get why the band would drop a song if that were the case, though.  If the fans are really getting into every song, and then you play one and you get bored looks from most of the crowd, I get why they would be turned off by that and want to not play it anymore.  Sure, it pleases the .0001% of the diehards who are there that want to hear it, but it's not worth it to have a nightly buzzkill in the set.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #788 on: April 18, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »

DLPM??
Don't Look Past Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TjT_GblFc see here if you're not familiar with the piece. It was to appear on I/W back in the day but it was left off)
Cool song! I have never heard it before.  Parts of it sound kind of like the band Triumph, at least to me.. Can definitely tell it was from the I&W era.. :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Grizz

« Reply #789 on: April 18, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »
You spelled "Eve" and "Hollow Years" wrong.
You absolute psychopath

I've been really surprised by the less than enthusiastic response A Nightmare to Remember is getting from more than a few people ITT.

I think it's a great song.  Great groove, beautiful lilting middle section, tells a little story...
I, for one, was very glad to have the opportunity to hear it live again. With the curtain drop, it was one of the best concert openers ever as far as I'm concerned...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #790 on: April 18, 2019, 08:10:49 PM »
Scotty, thanks for pushing for the rare cuts.  As long as JP knows that there is deep (albeit small) appreciation, there is always hope for the occasional rare gem.  I give DT significant credit for creating some dynamic (albeit mostly static) sets in recent years, including DLPM, The Shattered Fortress, The Bigger Picture and Space Dye Vest.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #791 on: April 18, 2019, 09:29:46 PM »
Is The Bigger Picture really such a deep cut? It's only like six years old
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #792 on: April 18, 2019, 10:52:13 PM »
I get why the band would drop a song if that were the case, though.  If the fans are really getting into every song, and then you play one and you get bored looks from most of the crowd, I get why they would be turned off by that and want to not play it anymore.  Sure, it pleases the .0001% of the diehards who are there that want to hear it, but it's not worth it to have a nightly buzzkill in the set.
I disagree. Given the fact that you're talking about one or two songs at most in a setlist of that nature, they should be willing to include them for those diehards. At the very least, it will introduce songs to the audience that they might never otherwise be made aware of. Had that been the attitude, then Another Won and Raise the Knife wouldn't have been on Score, and there's plenty of fans that discovered those songs because of that live release, if not having seen the songs in person. As long as the songs are properly introduced, it should be something that most fans (aside from the casual fans) will find of interest.

Even then, just because people sit/stand with blank expressions on their faces isn't necessarily a bad thing - that's pretty much going to be the general reaction of most people upon hearing a song they're not familiar with for the first time. Since they're not familiar with the song, they're concentrating on the song itself to discover it.

And for those who are genuinely not interested in hearing a rare cut they don't know, so what? How many fans use the typical ballad or instrument solo as an opportunity for a piss break? Why should playing a rare cut be any different?

Scotty, thanks for pushing for the rare cuts.  As long as JP knows that there is deep (albeit small) appreciation, there is always hope for the occasional rare gem.
As a diehard who's seen as many shows as I have, you know I will. Funny thing - during that same conversation, JP even made a passing remark that it might be interesting if he had me write a future setlist. It goes without saying I'd jump at the chance, but I know he wasn't serious and that it'll never happen.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #793 on: April 18, 2019, 11:09:40 PM »
Completely agree Scotty.  I don't really have much to add, but *definitely* agree that it's not a bad thing if the audience is more static for a song or two.  Some of them could be really enjoying it.  For Don't Look Past Me, I do think it would have helped a lot for James to have introduced it first.

If they're not going to do non-album tracks for a while, I at least hope they'll continue to revisit songs that haven't been played in a while.  Six Degrees definitely needs some representation next time around.

Offline H2

« Reply #794 on: April 18, 2019, 11:47:26 PM »
I agree with KevShmev above. I'd like to see songs I know at a DT concert. I think many people would agree with me. The only exception I think would be  if they are recording a live album and want to get something new out there to raise its popularity.

What's TLF?

I was at the Nashville show and it was absolutely incredible. The volume wasn't bad either; I was fully comfortable without earbuds. I was in the orchestra, too (though admittedly a bit off to the side).

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #795 on: April 18, 2019, 11:58:55 PM »
TLF=To Live Forever
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #796 on: April 19, 2019, 12:53:38 AM »
Very nice. Birthday song for Mike.

https://youtu.be/2GwjmvZoabI

Love how JM went to him and hugged him right after the song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #797 on: April 19, 2019, 05:51:16 AM »
I disagree. Given the fact that you're talking about one or two songs at most in a setlist of that nature, they should be willing to include them for those diehards. At the very least, it will introduce songs to the audience that they might never otherwise be made aware of. Had that been the attitude, then Another Won and Raise the Knife wouldn't have been on Score, and there's plenty of fans that discovered those songs because of that live release, if not having seen the songs in person. As long as the songs are properly introduced, it should be something that most fans (aside from the casual fans) will find of interest.

Even then, just because people sit/stand with blank expressions on their faces isn't necessarily a bad thing - that's pretty much going to be the general reaction of most people upon hearing a song they're not familiar with for the first time. Since they're not familiar with the song, they're concentrating on the song itself to discover it.

And for those who are genuinely not interested in hearing a rare cut they don't know, so what? How many fans use the typical ballad or instrument solo as an opportunity for a piss break? Why should playing a rare cut be any different?

Raise the Knife and Another Won were not played every night on a tour like Don't Look Past Me was at the beginning of the tour they played it.  Big, big difference.  If the band were doing a lot of rotations from show to show, then, yeah, I would say, "play a rare, non-album deep cut on occasion," but to play one that gets blank stares from almost everybody on a nightly basis?  Nah.  If the band is not feeling it, why should they keep playing it?  When Mike Portnoy was in the band, did he ever include a rare, non-album deep cut for every show of a tour (like the band did with Don't Look Past Me, before it was dropped)?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: April 19, 2019, 06:29:29 AM »
Very nice. Birthday song for Mike.

https://youtu.be/2GwjmvZoabI

Love how JM went to him and hugged him right after the song.

That was awesome

Raise the Knife and Another Won were not played every night on a tour like Don't Look Past Me was at the beginning of the tour they played it.  Big, big difference.  If the band were doing a lot of rotations from show to show, then, yeah, I would say, "play a rare, non-album deep cut on occasion," but to play one that gets blank stares from almost everybody on a nightly basis?  Nah.  If the band is not feeling it, why should they keep playing it?  When Mike Portnoy was in the band, did he ever include a rare, non-album deep cut for every show of a tour (like the band did with Don't Look Past Me, before it was dropped)?

I am with Scotty because these are DT Evening With shows, there's more than enough time to play something less known. Even with blank stares.  Bands play new music all the time to blank stares even the biggest of bands.  While this example isn't a new song, it made sense with the setlist and theme of the night.  So did TLF. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: April 19, 2019, 07:25:48 AM »

This + is it a standard to correlate hardcore fandom with deep cuts? I consider myself a hardcore fan of DT, I know DLPM, CYE & TLF but I'm not that fond of any of them and have no craving to hear them live, unless this is based solely on the idea of some kind of kick that comes from being at the show and saying "hey I know this song and most of these people don't!".
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #800 on: April 19, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
I should amend my stance to say that if the band is having a blast playing the song and want to keep playing it despite not getting a great reaction from fans, then, yeah, keep playing it, but from the way JP worded it, it sounds like the band was kinda bummed about the no reaction, and if it is hard for them to get "up" to play a song because of the non-reaction, then the performance might suffer a little and it is better to not play it.

That is why I never quibble about them playing songs like As I Am and The Spirit Carries On a lot, as they obviously love playing those songs, and the live crowds always go nuts for them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: April 19, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
I think that's fair Kev, if the band isn't into it then there's no point.  I guess, I would think the band would enjoy playing something different but if the reaction is truly that bad, I don't blame them from moving away, I just would hope it doesn't discourage them from trying again. 

and lets be real, DLPM is a very very very deep cut.  Is there any other song that would be less likey to be known by the general crowd?  I almost feel like Raw Dog might have gotten a better reaction just because it's a newer more obscure song.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: April 19, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »

[...]I know DLPM, CYE & TLF but I'm not that fond of any of them and have no craving to hear them live[...]

CME? ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #803 on: April 19, 2019, 09:11:30 AM »
I think some of the songs that didn't make FII would also get blank stares from most. 

I also agree with the earlier point that JLB doing a quick lead-in, telling the crowd, "hey, here is an obscure non-album track we've never played before," would have helped a lot, as I'll bet most probably thought it was just a song from an album they weren't familiar with.  Fans might have perked up a bit more if they knew they were getting something that rare and special.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #804 on: April 19, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »
I was stoked for them to play To Live Forever when I saw the I&W25 show.  I had a feeling they would, b/c it's been a part of my concept of DT and I&W since the beginning.  I got into them when Pull Me Under hit MTV, and very soon after bought the Live in Japan VHS, and TLF was on there.  So I've known about it from the beginning of my fandom.  When JP started the intro arpeggio at the show, I legit was all "YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

I actually didn't know Don't Look Past Me b/c I don't have CotC :(  But it came across my radar that they were playing it, so I made sure to familiarize myself with it ahead of time.  I look at concerts like collecting live songs, so I'm glad to have it in my collection.

I missed the Octavarium tour proper, so I wouldn't have known Another Won (it was played at the show I would have attended in Cleveland), and would've been sad because if I'm not familiar with a song ahead of time, my live experience is diminished some b/c I don't know how to "listen" to the song in a way that maximizes its impact on me.