Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142184 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #736 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:30 AM »
Was it this guy?? 
https://old.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/bdu1ib/yeah_i_was_that_guy_last_night_sorry_not_sorry/

I think that was the guy I observed throughout the Philly show from up in the loge.  I noticed he was rocking out, but didn't know if he was causing any problems with it.  His "sorry not sorry" comment is really douchey, though.

He made another comment saying "Yeah that's me. Fueled by 16oz cans of Bells Two Hearted. The security guard was keeping an eye on me all night lol."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #737 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
Was it this guy?? 
https://old.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/bdu1ib/yeah_i_was_that_guy_last_night_sorry_not_sorry/

I think that was the guy I observed throughout the Philly show from up in the loge.  I noticed he was rocking out, but didn't know if he was causing any problems with it.  His "sorry not sorry" comment is really douchey, though.

That's not the guy from axeman's post.  That pic was from the DC show last night.  He was maybe over the top, and security spoke with him a couple times, but I don't think he was getting in anyone's face. (Or hitting them).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: April 16, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »
I think the picture is pretty cool, but the attitude is a bit douchy.  I got no problems with people rocking out hard, but axeman's situation and the other thread with the guy at the beacon, they both seem over the top.  If this is a different dude from DC, I'll hold judgement since some douchy comments don't make me think he necessarily ruined anyone else's night.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #739 on: April 16, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »
I think the picture is pretty cool, but the attitude is a bit douchy.  I got no problems with people rocking out hard, but axeman's situation and the other thread with the guy at the beacon, they both seem over the top.  If this is a different dude from DC, I'll hold judgement since some douchy comments don't make me think he necessarily ruined anyone else's night.

He also said "I was that guy. Probably pissed off some people around me but whatever. Wow what a show!"  :lol 

Offline LKap13

« Reply #740 on: April 16, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »
I saw them in NYC. I love the new album and thought it would translate really well live, but I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the new stuff live. Highlights of the show for me were ITPOE (unreal), and the whole 2nd half (they nailed the instrumental bits of Scenes).

As much as I hate to say it, seeing the material live kinda revealed just how much more interesting and intricate their older stuff is than D/T. And don't get me wrong, I love D/T.

Finally, Mangini was extremely underwhelming. The middle part of this kit muddles together and while I'm not a drummer, it feels like the guy doesn't use hi-hats. Such a technically gifted drummer, but yea....

Overall, an absolutely amazing live experience because of the brilliance of Myung, Rudess and Petrucci. One of a kind!

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #741 on: April 16, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »
Finally, Mangini was extremely underwhelming. The middle part of this kit muddles together and while I'm not a drummer, it feels like the guy doesn't use hi-hats. Such a technically gifted drummer, but yea....

Your experience was your experience, so there's no refuting it, but I just find this statement curious b/c it's pretty much the exact opposite reaction that most everyone has had to MM on this tour so far.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #742 on: April 16, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »
I saw them in NYC. I love the new album and thought it would translate really well live, but I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the new stuff live. Highlights of the show for me were ITPOE (unreal), and the whole 2nd half (they nailed the instrumental bits of Scenes).

As much as I hate to say it, seeing the material live kinda revealed just how much more interesting and intricate their older stuff is than D/T. And don't get me wrong, I love D/T.

Overall, an absolutely amazing live experience because of the brilliance of Myung, Rudess and Petrucci. One of a kind!

I agree, though I did love Barstool Warrior live. UA, FITL, and PBD are three of my four least favorite songs off the new album, so that probably had something to do with it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: April 16, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »
PBD was easily my most liked of the new songs live.  I loved it.  UA was a bit lackluster and FitL was good but nothing mind blowing.  I think I liked Paralyzed the second best live, it just came off well and then Barstool Warrior which is an awesome song and nice change of pace in the really heavy first set.

He also said "I was that guy. Probably pissed off some people around me but whatever. Wow what a show!"  :lol 

:lol yea well I guess that answers that

Offline Lethean

« Reply #744 on: April 16, 2019, 11:32:51 AM »
I thought Pale Blue Dot was incredible live.  Barstool Warrior second for me.  I enjoyed the other three as well, but not on the level of those two.

And my non-drummer opinion is that MM has been amazing.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #745 on: April 16, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »
This was a weird show for me.  I saw them do SfaM the 1st time around, plus the little mini-suite on the Along for the Ride tour, plus all the little bits they've played in between.

The new album doesn't blow me away at all, so there was nothing I was itching to see performed live from it.

So going, in the big draw (aside from SfaM from a "I know I'll enjoy the time" perspective, even though I've seen it in various iterations) was the possible surprises.  I've never heard A Nightmare to Remember live before, so that definitely satisfied that craving.  And I've seen them do ItPoE before (both the full version and Part 1 only) before, but it was nice to catch it again, so that was a win.

So overall I'm glad I went, and I feel like I got what I was expecting, but it's a weird case where had I missed the show, I'm not sure I would have been too too upset (depending on how I felt about not catching ANtR that day, hah)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #746 on: April 16, 2019, 11:48:19 AM »

I was at the DC show last night and saw that guy, he was right in front of JP the whole night and I was a few rows back. He was a little rowdy and a bit overenthusiastic and I saw security come talk to him a few times, but he didn't ruin the show for me.

The theater ushers constantly whipping their flashlights out every time someone looked at their phone got really annoying though.  :\

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #747 on: April 16, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »

I was at the DC show last night and saw that guy, he was right in front of JP the whole night and I was a few rows back. He was a little rowdy and a bit overenthusiastic and I saw security come talk to him a few times, but he didn't ruin the show for me.

The theater ushers constantly whipping their flashlights out every time someone looked at their phone got really annoying though:\

I have to say, at the CT show, that was far more disruptive and distracting than anyone actually using their phone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: April 16, 2019, 11:56:42 AM »
I was happy the ushers were not out at the NYC show and were pretty much fine at the NJ show.  Just loved how the one time the usher came nearby, some girl fell down the stairs and he was too busy to talk to someone about their phone than to help or even notice the girl who fell. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #749 on: April 16, 2019, 12:07:40 PM »
Event staff and security in SF were pretty rude.  I know I would think twice about seeing a show there again.  And it wasn't just toward people trying to take pics or whatever either.  They were even difficult with the band's management.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #750 on: April 16, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
I don't really blame the staff in DC. As we were walking in, they told people no flash and no video. One of the ushers said that it was per the band's request. I think they were just doing what they were asked to do. If the band said let people do what they want, I'm sure they wouldn't care.

And I kind of felt for one of the ushers - people were constantly trying to walk up to the stage and stand in the aisle. Usually they would leave as soon as they were told to, but there was this one guy but just completely ignored the usher. He kept walking in front of her, trying to get JP's attention, totally disregarding but he was being asked to leave. To her credit I think, she gave him quite a long time before finally motioning for security to deal with it.

Offline StreamOfConscientiousness

« Reply #751 on: April 16, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »
I was at the DC show last night, and I thought it was fantastic! I wore earplugs as suggested elsewhere on these forums; while I'm glad I did, the levels actually weren't ear-splitting. The mix was good too - I could hear guitar, bass, and drums clearly the whole night, though at times in the first set James was drowned out. Speaking of James, he was straining to hit notes during the second half of the first set and he told the crowd he had caught a cold. That made me nervous for Scenes but honestly he killed it from Regression through Pull Me Under. I was really impressed. JP, JM, JR, and MM were on point, and they seemed to be having a fun time. The crowd was great, too. I was in the center orchestra section and everyone I could see was standing for the whole show. A lot of people sang with James for the entirety of SFAM.

This was my first time seeing the band live and I feel really lucky to have experienced such a great show, especially considering SFAM is my favorite album.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #752 on: April 16, 2019, 01:29:04 PM »
I wore earplugs as suggested elsewhere on these forums

Overly parental editorial: everyone should always wear earplugs.  I even wear them at amphitheater shows.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #753 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »
Mangini posted a vid of his soundcheck:

what a soundcheck

That is a regular section in his drum solo and I really love how groovy it sounds. I wonder if they can write a song around it.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #754 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:40 PM »

The theater ushers constantly whipping their flashlights out every time someone looked at their phone got really annoying though:\

I have to say, at the CT show, that was far more disruptive and distracting than anyone actually using their phone.
Like I said, Oakdale are a bunch of Soup Nazis. (Yes, I'm aware that the videography was probably a band request.) I should see if my high school history teacher still works there.

Fuck off lady, you don't need to check my ticket again. This isn't Yankee Stadium, this isn't a huge crowd, and my seats aren't that good. Stop screaming at me to go the other way around, and go direct traffic outside or something. Get that damn flashlight out of my face before it ends up somewhere quite uncomfortable.

One of the ushers used another audience member to get the attention of a filmer. I'd've told the usher to piss off; I ain't no scab.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #755 on: April 18, 2019, 07:09:25 AM »
I attended my first DT show last night in Nashville.  The overall sound, particularly James was off on the first song, but fixed by ANTR, which was not my preference.  iTPOE, part one was fantastic.  The rest of the show was spot on.  I was sure they would play The Glass Prison, but maybe next time.

During the vocal breaks, James went behind the stage set every time.  I wonder if he has some type of set up in back of the stage to help keep his voice in shape.

For the next tour, I would them to have a strong support band and then play a variety of songs, and not entire albums. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #756 on: April 18, 2019, 07:36:35 AM »

I hear James has a tent backstage that he chills in when he vanishes. Very possible whoever said that was joking though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #757 on: April 18, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »

I hear James has a tent backstage that he chills in when he vanishes. Very possible whoever said that was joking though.

It’s true :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #758 on: April 18, 2019, 07:50:51 AM »
I attended my first DT show last night in Nashville.  The overall sound, particularly James was off on the first song, but fixed by ANTR, which was not my preference.  iTPOE, part one was fantastic.  The rest of the show was spot on.  I was sure they would play The Glass Prison, but maybe next time.

During the vocal breaks, James went behind the stage set every time.  I wonder if he has some type of set up in back of the stage to help keep his voice in shape.

For the next tour, I would them to have a strong support band and then play a variety of songs, and not entire albums.

I don't know about supporting band, I prefer the Evening With format, but yeah, I wouldn't mind just having a selection of songs, not whole albums. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want them to be playing Falling Into Infinity in its entirety or something, haha. I don't mind chunks of an album to commemorate it, like the Breaking The Fourth Wall set. In fact, that was probably one of my most favorite selection of songs they ever played at a single concert.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #759 on: April 18, 2019, 07:59:26 AM »

It’s true :lol

In the past, James would have a tent of sorts set up behind JP's cabs, it would depend on the tour setup.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #760 on: April 18, 2019, 08:02:51 AM »
If they keep the anniversary sets rolling, they can always double down next time and still fall within their current concert duration:

DT: Full Circle Tour:

Set 1:
When Dream and Day Unite

Set 2:
Distance Over Time

Encore:
Octavarium

I'd go :)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #761 on: April 18, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
If they keep the anniversary sets rolling, they can always double down next time and still fall within their current concert duration:

Set 1:
When Dream and Day Unite

Set 2:
Distance Over Time

Encore:
Octavarium

Distance over time? That sounds like a tour that would be happening no sooner than 2029. Now, while I don't expect them to retire in 10 years, something tells me that they won't be doing concerts quite this long by then.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: April 18, 2019, 08:13:37 AM »

Set 1:
When Dream and Day Unite

Set 2:
Distance Over Time

Encore:
Octavarium

wow pretty cool idea although I'm on the team of give me random songs not tour and not full albums for a bit.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #763 on: April 18, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
My friend thought it would be cool for the band to do a tour where the 1st set is all shorter stuff, and the 2nd set is a few of the longer pieces.  When pinged for what might make up the 2nd set, for me it was easy:

(in no particular order)

6DoIT
The Count of Tuscany
Octavarium

Boom, awesome 2nd set of epics.  If that's too long a set, TCoT or O could move to the encore.  No need for ACoS (played on the I&W25 tour) or Illumination Theory (too recently played, as well).  Some might argue the full ItPoE, but given that they're playing part 1 now, again: too superfluous

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #764 on: April 18, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
Since the band is now on an extended weekend off, I wonder if there is any chance for changes to the setlist when they resume Monday night in Charlotte?

Not necessarily wanting any.  Just curious about chances.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #765 on: April 18, 2019, 10:13:34 AM »

I don't know about supporting band, I prefer the Evening With format, but yeah, I wouldn't mind just having a selection of songs, not whole albums. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want them to be playing Falling Into Infinity in its entirety or something, haha. I don't mind chunks of an album to commemorate it, like the Breaking The Fourth Wall set. In fact, that was probably one of my most favorite selection of songs they ever played at a single concert.

Support bands:   :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

Since the next album tour will probably happen in 2022 (assuming the band keeps up its current pace), it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the entirety of SDOIT (the song -- i.e., disc 2) is played.  I would be really happy about that since I missed the SDOIT tour and have only seen about half of the pieces of SDOIT live.  It's pretty much the only "bucket list" DT song left for me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: April 18, 2019, 10:15:42 AM »
I'd rather see disc 1 of SDOIT live than the song itself, just my opinion.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #767 on: April 18, 2019, 10:16:26 AM »

This.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #768 on: April 18, 2019, 10:21:17 AM »

If they did that, it would give me a 20+ minute bathroom/merch stand/beer break after Misunderstood.  TGD and Disappear are, IMO, terrible songs that I hope never again see the light of day.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #769 on: April 18, 2019, 10:25:09 AM »
You spelled "Eve" and "Hollow Years" wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."