Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143369 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #630 on: April 09, 2019, 08:05:19 AM »
I'm guessing the rotation is back on because the east coast has a lot of shows in close proximity

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #631 on: April 09, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »
Would anybody be able to post the picture of the merch? I can't seem to find it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #632 on: April 09, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »
I'd love to get some clarity on why bringing back A Nightmare to Remember. It eats up 16 minutes of the set, and it was never perceived as a fan favorite. I can think of a bunch of other songs that would be a better fit in that spot: Sacrificed Sons, In the name of God, Voices, Ministry of Lost Souls...all with similar length and which would be a much better fit.

Ugh, I would hope The Ministry of Lost Souls will stay on the shelf when it comes to the live sets.  The ending is great, but it is a major chore to get through that song, and I remember seeing live footage of when they played in on the SC tour and thinking, "I have never seen a long Dream Theater look and sound so boring before in the live setting."

:tup :tup :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #633 on: April 09, 2019, 10:09:00 AM »
I'd love to get some clarity on why bringing back A Nightmare to Remember. It eats up 16 minutes of the set, and it was never perceived as a fan favorite. I can think of a bunch of other songs that would be a better fit in that spot: Sacrificed Sons, In the name of God, Voices, Ministry of Lost Souls...all with similar length and which would be a much better fit.

Ugh, I would hope The Ministry of Lost Souls will stay on the shelf when it comes to the live sets.  The ending is great, but it is a major chore to get through that song, and I remember seeing live footage of when they played in on the SC tour and thinking, "I have never seen a long Dream Theater look and sound so boring before in the live setting."

:tup :tup :tup

I don't always agree with KevShmev.  But when I do, I...er...agree with KevShmev.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #634 on: April 09, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
I thought The Ministry of Lost Souls sounded fantastic on that tour and I loved it.  Having said that, I do hope to hear it again some day, but I think both ANTR and ITPOE are better choices for this tour.  To me the first set flows really well.  Also, Pale Blue Dot reminds me a little of ITPOE so it's cool they're both being played.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #635 on: April 09, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »
I thought The Ministry of Lost Souls sounded fantastic on that tour and I loved it. 

Dude!  You don't have to air such embarrassing secrets here.  There are lots of self-help/support sites for that sort of thing privately.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #636 on: April 09, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
I thought The Ministry of Lost Souls sounded fantastic on that tour and I loved it. 

Dude!  You don't have to air such embarrassing secrets here.  There are lots of self-help/support sites for that sort of thing privately.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #637 on: April 09, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »
I'd rather hear them play TMOLS over A Nightmare To Remember. Not that I'd expect them to play two songs off of SC, and I still do prefer ITPOE1. But still, hopefully if they decide to play another 15 minute-ish song on tour in the future, it'll be TMOLS.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #638 on: April 09, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »
Choosing between TMOLS and ANTR is like choosing whether you want the trainwreck to be at the start or at the end.  :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #639 on: April 09, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »
I'd love to get some clarity on why bringing back A Nightmare to Remember.

I'll try to help:  It's a really cool song, and the band digs it a lot.

It was one (of many  :)) highlight moments of the LA show my son and I saw.  We are new, so all music is exciting to hear, but Nightmare is one we both love and I will never forget that moment...So Loud....So intense....and we both kind of realize at the same time what is being played ( we did not look at any media beforehand ) I turned to him and yelled,  "Is it That??", and he just nodded furiously with a big smile.... :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #640 on: April 09, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
 ::)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #641 on: April 09, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »
TMOLS feels like a long song for the sake of it. Although who knows, I was wrong about my opinion of ANTR when I saw the footage. Maybe Mangini will make it more interesting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #642 on: April 09, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »
Same here, geeeemo.  It was on my personal short list of songs I REALLY want to see live, and I had no idea they were playing it.  It was great live.  I really hope we get a live recording of this tour to preserve it.

Offline DTA

« Reply #643 on: April 09, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
I dislike both ANTR and TMoLS and wish to god they'd have done Surrender to Reason/Lost Not Forgotten instead but I'd definitely choose Ministry instead because A) It's 2 minutes shorter and B) I haven't seen them do it live yet.

Offline mariner

« Reply #644 on: April 09, 2019, 05:48:08 PM »
Was at the Boston show last night.  Best show I have seen since the Score show - which is the best concert I have ever attended - by any band.

We did get Paralyzed as stated above.

Their sound was simply perfect.  I could hear everything clearly and cleanly without distorting (was about 40 rows back slightly right of center).  There was an energy to them that honestly was lacking on the DT12, Astonishing, and I&W25 shows (I attended all of them).  That might be because of SFAM, but they just sounded so ON last night.

Highlights for me were the keytar and guitar solo outro to Fatal Tragedy being played up on top of the stage; The Spirit Carries On (my favorite song, but done without any extra bells and whistles - and having the entire audience singing along); Barstool Warrior and Pale Blue Dot - just brilliant live; and the outro to Finally Free.  You have to see and hear what Mangini does, but it is simply astonishing (pardon the pun).  Home was great; Regression with the crowd singing - great; keytar solo on ANTR; intro to ITPOE Pt 1 (crowd went nuts)…  all of it was incredible.

Thank you DT.  Been seeing you live every tour since 2003.  You did not disappoint.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: April 09, 2019, 06:16:35 PM »
I'm excited as shit to see ANTR

This right here.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #646 on: April 09, 2019, 09:31:15 PM »

Just saw them in Wallingford CT, so after my month long self imposed exile, I'm back!

The show was incredible. I LOVED the new animations during the Scenes set (Victoria is adorable).

Also was thrilled out of my mind to hear both A Nightmare to Remember AND In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1. Two incredible songs.

And James sounded amazing.

And we got the FITTL set. But James introduced the song as "Falling into the Light." Lol

I love this band!

Offline deslock

« Reply #647 on: April 10, 2019, 07:50:27 AM »
Would anybody be able to post the picture of the merch? I can't seem to find it.

From Wallingford, CT:

Was a fantastic show. Still slightly disappointed that they're not playing At Wit's End or S2N, but I can't complain (after hearing 5 new songs between Boston and Wallingford). Side note: Pale Blue Dot has moved up in my Distance Over Time ranking and is now tied with S2N for second place (1st: At Wit's End, 4th: Fall into the Light).

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #648 on: April 10, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »
For the record, it's kinda hard to tell, but that #1 t-shirt, the triangle one, is actually in color. It's quite beautiful.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #649 on: April 10, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
Re: Them playing Nightmare vs 2 more new songs....

After seeing the Astonishing live, I personally was happy with this show not having too many songs from the new album. The album is incredible, and I would have been fine with it being "D/T then SFAM", but I am also happy to see other non D/T or SFAM songs get played. I didn't expect Nightmare, but it obviously made a lot of people happy, and the band enjoys it... so yea
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #650 on: April 10, 2019, 09:06:27 AM »
^And I feel that it really did fit the tone of that first set very well.  That set had a really cool overall vibe to it and felt pretty unified, and it was also kind of cool that Barstool Warrior, which isn't even a ballad, was the light moment in that set that broke up the pacing a little bit without going "soft."  It all just worked very well, and ANTR was a big part of it.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #651 on: April 10, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »

Agreed about ANTR. The crowd seemed to really dig it in Wallingford. And it was especially fitting given the rain storm going on outside at the time :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #652 on: April 10, 2019, 09:14:41 AM »
I completely agree with Bosk - it was part of what made the first set so great.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: April 10, 2019, 09:19:49 AM »
I listened to set 1 last night on a playlist of the album recordings.  I always kind of felt an ITPOE pt2 vibe from PBD and being that they play part 1 before PBD, maybe they also feel theres a similarity. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #654 on: April 10, 2019, 01:04:04 PM »
I listened to set 1 last night on a playlist of the album recordings.  I always kind of felt an ITPOE pt2 vibe from PBD and being that they play part 1 before PBD, maybe they also feel theres a similarity.

I thought the segue from ITPOE pt1 to PBD felt fairly natural.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #655 on: April 10, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »

ITPOE pt.1 does end on a B minor chord (pt 2 starts in that key), and PBD is in the key of B minor. Almost like they did that on purpose!! :eek

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #656 on: April 10, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »

ITPOE pt.1 does end on a B minor chord (pt 2 starts in that key), and PBD is in the key of B minor. Almost like they did that on purpose!! :eek

Definitely! A big part of choosing setlists is making sure the transitions are smooth from song to song (when it’s possible). DT have always been really good at that :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #657 on: April 10, 2019, 08:37:12 PM »
It's definitely cool to finally hear Mangini playing it. It's the song I've always wanted to hear the most from him ever since the small teases in the drummer auditions.

Also, James singing the ROAR part was kinda awkward at first but it has grown on me. It gave me space to remember how much I enjoy DT without MP's vocals (no offense intended, I was just never a fan of MP's vocals at all).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mladen

« Reply #658 on: April 11, 2019, 02:24:25 AM »
I actually got used to that MP section so much that it's odd hearing it the way it was originally intended to sound.  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: April 11, 2019, 02:29:53 AM »
It would be great to see JM do that part instead.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #660 on: April 11, 2019, 04:37:16 AM »
James doing the "MP part" was great. During the song, it was so seamless, and it actually didn't occur to me until that part was over that even happened.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: April 11, 2019, 08:02:20 AM »
Awesome show in Red Bank last night, I thought they were on fire.  I was in the last row, bought a super cheap ticket, but I could see everything just fine since the Count Basie Theater is pretty small overall, it was sold out and holds about 1.6k.  I felt the first set flew by and PBD was probably the highlight of it.  I thought the energy went up a bit for SFAM and everyone was really enjoying it.  I saw next to an older guy and his song (probably close to my age) and they were having a blast.  I would have rathered a different encore, but you can tell why the band plays it.  The place erupted for it and people in the back finally got out of their seats.  It's interesting, I've been to a lot of DT shows and sometimes the ushers are annoying and sometimes they are not.  This show was half and half.  The ushers allowed people to use their phones or cameras for the first song then said "now you are not allowed to take video anymore" but then allowed again for the second set.  It's funny though how as the guy was just talking to me about my camera one person fell down the stairs to my right and another group was arguing about who's sitting in the wrong seats  :lol  The usher was nice and no issues, but just funny how they handled this show.  The floor stood, the balcony sat, except for me and the rest of us in the back row.  There was room for me to rock out up there so I thoroughly enjoyed having a cheap seat in the back.  I wasn't even that far and had clear visuals of the band the entire time plus the sound was really good, I went down to get a beer during the set and noticed the sound was much worse mid theater and the band sounded super load, but up top the sound was much cleaner.  Also met up with axeman and his cousin for a beer before the show  :yarr Anyway, since the ushers were cool the second set, I got a full song.  I captured plenty of other highlights, I'm planning on going again tomorrow and want to get more, but for now:

Dream Theater - Through My Words / Fatal Tragedy LIVE @ Count Basie Theatre Red Bank NJ 4/10/19

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: April 11, 2019, 10:37:48 AM »
Mike Mangini it's not a robot nor a machine and this video it's proof

https://youtu.be/ZDk5Nw6Icug

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #663 on: April 11, 2019, 10:40:28 AM »
Oops!  :lol  Oh well.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #664 on: April 11, 2019, 01:36:51 PM »
That's gotta be the second time in eight years I've seen him make a mistake.  :lol