Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143749 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #595 on: April 06, 2019, 08:47:50 AM »
I actually prefer Paralyzed, but I think it's sad if they're not switching anything at all.  I know it's never going to be like it used to be, but I keep hoping there will be at least a small amount of variety in their sets.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #596 on: April 06, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
It looks like Fall Into the Light has completely replaced Paralyzed.

If I had to guess, part of the reason (besides audience reaction, possibly) is that Paralyzed was the only song in the setlist requiring a guitar change to a baritone tuned to B-flat. With FITL, JP can switch from the C-tuned baritone from UA/ANTR to a standard tuned regular guitar for FITL, BW and ITPOE, switching back to a 7-string for PBD only (in the first set). Logistically, it leads to less hiccups -- like the technical difficulties in Paralyzed witnessed a while back.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #597 on: April 06, 2019, 09:30:54 PM »
Forgive the possibly stupid question, but why would that lead to more technical difficulties?  There were Rush shows where it seemed like Alex was changing guitars after every song.  If you're just taking one off and putting a new one on..  ?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: April 06, 2019, 10:08:48 PM »
It looks like Fall Into the Light has completely replaced Paralyzed.

:(

Offline TheFrozenInferno

« Reply #599 on: April 07, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
Saw them in Toronto too, and man, did they crush it!!! It was my first time seeing SFAM live in full, and this made me appreciate the album even more, if that's even possible. James sang REALLY well, and nailed even the toughest vocal moments of the set. Mangini was simply amazing, and did all the Scenes material justice while leaving his mark on those songs. The negative comment goes for the Toronto crowd, which was seriously disengaged, at least where I was sitting. Good attendance, but I noticed people checking Facebook during the show...come on, people, you're seeing the best band on the planet and you chose to check out Facebook?

I was up on the balcony and the crowd was pretty timid during the first set, but was noticeably more engaged during SFAM and PMU.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: April 07, 2019, 08:32:46 AM »
Not sure if anyone saw this pre show warm up video from last night  :rollin

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1114687978423631872

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #601 on: April 07, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »
That's funny!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #602 on: April 07, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
Forgive the possibly stupid question, but why would that lead to more technical difficulties?  There were Rush shows where it seemed like Alex was changing guitars after every song.  If you're just taking one off and putting a new one on..  ?

This isn't a stupid question! I'm mostly guessing anyway  ;)

This tour, JP went from cables to wireless and from physical amps and cabinets to an axe fx II unit (or so it seems, I'll gladly be corrected by more technically minded users!), so maybe the moment of fitting each guitar with the wireless setup introduces the possibility of a hiccup. Less guitar changes, less hiccups!

I may be way off mark here though!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #603 on: April 07, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »

This tour, JP went from cables to wireless and from physical amps and cabinets to an axe fx II unit (or so it seems, I'll gladly be corrected by more technically minded users!), so maybe the moment of fitting each guitar with the wireless setup introduces the possibility of a hiccup. Less guitar changes, less hiccups!

He’s been using the Axe FX for years, and he only uses it for effects, not amp modeling. Also, the cabinets that were onstage were just empty shells for the looks only. He always has a couple cabs at HIGH volume somewhere off the stage.

As for the guitar changes, yes, it’s easier/better to play a show with less guitar changes, as you can run smoother transitions between songs, instead of going to your tech every time a new song starts. That’s why on the CIM bonus footage we see JP’s tech (not Maddi) thanking Portnoy for having two drop D guitar songs back to back on the set, so they don’t have to change guitars more times during the set.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline GandL

« Reply #604 on: April 08, 2019, 05:03:13 AM »
I was at the Montreal show with my daughter , and it was simply awsome. À truly great performance from each member. This was the 5th time I saw them, and the best one. Great crowd also.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #605 on: April 08, 2019, 08:12:43 AM »

He’s been using the Axe FX for years, and he only uses it for effects, not amp modeling. Also, the cabinets that were onstage were just empty shells for the looks only. He always has a couple cabs at HIGH volume somewhere off the stage.

As for the guitar changes, yes, it’s easier/better to play a show with less guitar changes, as you can run smoother transitions between songs, instead of going to your tech every time a new song starts. That’s why on the CIM bonus footage we see JP’s tech (not Maddi) thanking Portnoy for having two drop D guitar songs back to back on the set, so they don’t have to change guitars more times during the set.

As to his rig, I'd assume he's using his signature amps still, and just using the Axe Fx for effects, which is basically the setup he's been using for a long time. Like gzarruk mentioned, even when he had cabs on stage, they were dummies, so I'm assuming he's still micing cabs off stage. So really, the big difference is wireless instead of a cable.

I'd love to see a detailed rig rundown of his gear on this tour.

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #606 on: April 08, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »
A little late here, but the show was awesome (Chicago). After seeing them 4 times now with Mangini, I must say that his cymbals sound like shit, or perhaps trashcan lids. But again I fucking loved it. There were a couple of epic surprises in the setlist for sure.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: April 08, 2019, 11:58:20 AM »
For those who have seen them this tour, do they hit the stage at 8pm sharp like they've been doing?  My ticket for Red Bank just says 8pm, doesn't say when doors are but I am guessing doors at 7 and show at 8.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #608 on: April 08, 2019, 12:07:32 PM »
For those who have seen them this tour, do they hit the stage at 8pm sharp like they've been doing? 
Yes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #609 on: April 08, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
Except for that concert that started at 7 in Milwaukee that I went to - after seeing them at 8 the previous week..... :(

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: April 08, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
For those who have seen them this tour, do they hit the stage at 8pm sharp like they've been doing? 
Yes.

Thanks, figured that but just making sure

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #611 on: April 08, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »
And what time are they typically finishing up a show when they start at 8. Wondering if I can double dip on Friday and still catch Thank You Scientist's set later on that night.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #612 on: April 08, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
Got the Paralyzed set in Boston tonight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

« Reply #613 on: April 08, 2019, 07:35:11 PM »

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #614 on: April 08, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »
And what time are they typically finishing up a show when they start at 8. Wondering if I can double dip on Friday and still catch Thank You Scientist's set later on that night.

Around 11 - probably 10:50 or so but close to 11 by the time they finish saying bye to the crowd and stuff.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #615 on: April 08, 2019, 07:54:54 PM »

:metal :metal :metal
I'd prefer the FITL set!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online geeeemo

« Reply #616 on: April 08, 2019, 08:29:29 PM »
I got to see both!!  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #617 on: April 09, 2019, 02:40:01 AM »
I would love to hear Paralyzed. FITL turned out to be my least favorite song on the album, so it would be a bummer for me to get that set.  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #618 on: April 09, 2019, 02:58:32 AM »
I would love to hear Paralyzed. FITL turned out to be my least favorite song on the album, so it would be a bummer for me to get that set.  :lol
I don't get to see either set since they skipped the Northwest..  :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #619 on: April 09, 2019, 06:17:12 AM »
What are the differences between the two sets?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #620 on: April 09, 2019, 06:51:04 AM »

:facepalm:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: April 09, 2019, 06:51:19 AM »

Paralyzed or FitL

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #622 on: April 09, 2019, 07:19:22 AM »
I'd love to get some clarity on why bringing back A Nightmare to Remember. It eats up 16 minutes of the set, and it was never perceived as a fan favorite. I can think of a bunch of other songs that would be a better fit in that spot: Sacrificed Sons, In the name of God, Voices, Ministry of Lost Souls...all with similar length and which would be a much better fit.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #623 on: April 09, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »
I'm excited as shit to see ANTR

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #624 on: April 09, 2019, 07:38:10 AM »
I'd love to get some clarity on why bringing back A Nightmare to Remember.

I'll try to help:  It's a really cool song, and the band digs it a lot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: April 09, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »
I'd love to get some clarity on why bringing back A Nightmare to Remember. It eats up 16 minutes of the set, and it was never perceived as a fan favorite. I can think of a bunch of other songs that would be a better fit in that spot: Sacrificed Sons, In the name of God, Voices, Ministry of Lost Souls...all with similar length and which would be a much better fit.

Voices was played more recently so I think only ITNOG would have been a better choice, but I wonder if MM having played this for the tryout was a reason to play it so it's less for him to learn.  But I'm OK with it, I think the part that stinks is it takes up a lot of set time, but it's an awesome song.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #626 on: April 09, 2019, 07:47:30 AM »
I think the band probably wanted to tip their hats to BC&SL for its 10th anniversary, and since ANTR hadn’t been played in a hot minute they figured why not?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #627 on: April 09, 2019, 08:01:15 AM »

That's a bad beat. :P

Ugh, I would hope The Ministry of Lost Souls will stay on the shelf when it comes to the live sets.  The ending is great, but it is a major chore to get through that song, and I remember seeing live footage of when they played in on the SC tour and thinking, "I have never seen a long Dream Theater look and sound so boring before in the live setting."

A Nightmare to Remember wouldn't have been near the top of choices for me either, but for all its fault, it is still a fun tune and it rocks.  The first half is still pretty awesome and that alone would be cool to see.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #628 on: April 09, 2019, 08:02:31 AM »
I'd love to get some clarity on why bringing back A Nightmare to Remember.

I'll try to help:  It's a really cool song, and   the band digs it a lot.

Fixed

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline deslock

« Reply #629 on: April 09, 2019, 08:02:56 AM »
Went on media blackout so I wouldn't know the first set at the Boston show last night.

They played well and I enjoyed the show but I'm disappointed that we got only 4 new songs, and they didn't play any of my top 3 (At Wits End, S2N, Fall into the Light).

A Nightmare to Remember is an OK song, and I respect artists for playing what they want, and for pulling out long deep cuts, but they could've replaced it with both S2N and At Wits End. To me that was a missed opportunity.

In the Presence of Enemies Part 1 (a fantastic surprise), Pale Blue Dot, Home, and Dance of Eternity were the highlights of the show, in my opinion.

Seeing them again in CT. I got tickets to two shows to increase the chances of seeing more new songs (had a feeling they'd rotate at least two this tour given that they're playing all of Scenes from a Memory). I see they sometimes play Fall into the Light instead of Paralyzed. Hope that happens tonight.