Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142221 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #560 on: March 31, 2019, 03:10:55 PM »
I was at the LSFNY show back in 2000 and one of the many things I loved was when Portnoy went all out near the end of Finally Free. Does Mangini do anything similar this tour? I was also at the Boston Opera House show and he seemed pretty reserved during that part.

Watching the You tube videos yes he goes off. Almost a mini solo. Very awesome

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #561 on: March 31, 2019, 03:38:55 PM »
Manginis kills it during the scenes set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #562 on: March 31, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »
I was at the LSFNY show back in 2000 and one of the many things I loved was when Portnoy went all out near the end of Finally Free. Does Mangini do anything similar this tour? I was also at the Boston Opera House show and he seemed pretty reserved during that part.
Mangini completely takes control of the end to Finally Free. Moreso than MP to be honest. It sounded awesome, at point when he was just doing fills on the toms, the whole ground was shaking. So cool
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #563 on: March 31, 2019, 05:55:42 PM »
Awesome. It’s those little details that make me all the more excited to see them this year. Looking forward to the new material, too. I don’t mind traveling for a good concert, but I wish they’d come to Seattle since that’s where I hang my hat these days.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #564 on: March 31, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »
I think it was Kraftwerk played during pre-show (at the Wiltern), don't remember about the intermission music.
Yes, upon further investigation, it was the Computer World album being played
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #565 on: March 31, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
I think it was Kraftwerk played during pre-show (at the Wiltern), don't remember about the intermission music.
Yes, upon further investigation, it was the Computer World album being played

Awesome. That set a really weird but cool vibe, along with the wicked backdrop.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #566 on: April 01, 2019, 12:21:26 AM »

Looking at the Youtube videos available, he does, and he does it differently every night. Of the uploaded vids so far, I liked the one played at the Masonic and the one in Denver.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #567 on: April 01, 2019, 01:26:58 AM »
I don’t mind traveling for a good concert, but I wish they’d come to Seattle since that’s where I hang my hat these days.
This,  Seattle needs DT soon!  🎶🚦🐜🍕👂🐜
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #568 on: April 01, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »
So, my kids and I are going to the show in Charlotte in a few weeks.

I was talking to my 16 year old, and I asked if she wanted to know the set list.  She said yes, so I told her.

I then went into a short dissertation about how disappointed I was that they were using PMU as the encore, and all the reasons why.

And then she said, "But Dad...

Pull Me Under fuckin' rocks."   :metal

I'm done.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #569 on: April 01, 2019, 11:16:20 AM »
I love that Hef. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Trav86

« Reply #572 on: April 01, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
Good job, bro!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #573 on: April 01, 2019, 10:27:03 PM »
Ok.. I have been fortunate enough to have gone to 2 of the concerts  :metal. I have traveled to both and have never regained my energy after being totally thrashed at the LA show last Friday night.

Last night I went to the show in Milwaukee.  Some differences. 

The LA show was Freaking Loud! as some have said already, conversely last night it wasn’t and sounded sooo goood. The mic wasn’t having issues fading in and out as it did in LA (except maybe one small moment) and then toward the end of the show I think something was going on as James was making hand signals to the side stage, and then looked a bit frustrated and slammed his water bottle which splashed knocking something out of place but he was very composed and continued his Fantastic performance. :yarr

But....I wanted to turn up the volume during Home. That song just needs to be cranked.

I saw both Paralyzed and FItL. Paralyzed is just better imo. But FItL was at LA and maybe the loudness played a part in how I felt. Also, I was really excited to hear that middle solo and it sounded good, but it is just too short (at that moment I wanted more of it) Great song nonetheless.

James is the star for sure. He is rocking it, sounding Awesome, great animation, dancing and it’s always good to hear him tell the stories. In Milwaukee he tried a cheese joke, which was a flop, he commented how shitty it was and Mangini gave him the loser drum ba da boom. Lol.  :lol

That said (and I know nothing about drumming) Mike Mangini is addicting! I find myself drawn to watch him when I am not looking at James and I ditched watching JP as much..... who I have loved watching from the first moment of my first concert DT: TA - where I couldn’t believe what I was seeing in a guitarist.
I am so thrilled that Mangini opened up the kit for us to see him!!

So, one would think with the sound better in Milwaukee that would be my fave of the two, but no....LA was Alive! Like it had a spirit of its own - it engulfed me and I felt like I was connected to the whole group of fans. Everyone was up and rocking and swaying moving. During Home it had the feel of an ocean wave moving up and down, the energy engulfing the crowd into one spirit.

I didn’t see the set list so Nightmare and ItPoE were total surprises. I had only seen TA concerts before this - so hearing anything else was such a treat - but these 2 are in my top 10 and my son who was with me, his also. That moment...I just turned to him and mouthed “Is it??” and he was nodding frantically with a huge smile. And again later with the 2nd of the 2. I was high.

By contrast the Milwaukee show was tame. People were standing - yay - but only a few here and there head bangin and James and John several times had to encourage cheering etc. But it did sound great.

Through Her Eyes was beautiful. James was perfect, it was emotional and that is when the headstones were on the screen.  Better than Spirit for me.

Scenes was sooo good. It was exciting from start to it’s climactic finish. I am so happy I was able to see and and 2x to boot. PMU was probably not my first choice, but geeze it’s PMU, it’s DT.

I am still thrashed from the experiences mostly I think from LA, but from seeing my newfound (fairly much) perfect band perform the Best concerts!   :metal :metal :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #574 on: April 01, 2019, 10:33:58 PM »
Glad you had a good time in Milwaukee! I went to the Chicago show and loved it so much that I considered hitting Milwaukee too, but never made up there. Good shit nevertheless!

Offline coz

« Reply #575 on: April 02, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
Anyone else notice James' wardrobe on this tour?  To me, his shirts have been rather random and unusual(?).  In Denver, it was a Misfits for the first set, and Harley-Davidson/UFC for the second set.  I've also seen a picture where the back of the shirt says 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice'.  And, not sure what's on it, but when he's wearing the pirate hat in Chicago, that one seems kinda odd too.
#notmypirate  :yarr
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline Trav86

« Reply #576 on: April 02, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »
Anyone else notice James' wardrobe on this tour?  To me, his shirts have been rather random and unusual(?).  In Denver, it was a Misfits for the first set, and Harley-Davidson/UFC for the second set.  I've also seen a picture where the back of the shirt says 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice'.  And, not sure what's on it, but when he's wearing the pirate hat in Chicago, that one seems kinda odd too.

I don’t know how far back your fandom goes, but the pirate is sorta his character. I don’t even remember when it started, but it’s an I side joke. Petrucci the Bear, Jordan the Wizard, Mangini the Genie, Myung the Ninja, LaBrie the Pirate
Can't we find the minds

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #577 on: April 02, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »

I don’t know how far back your fandom goes, but the pirate is sorta his character. I don’t even remember when it started, but it’s an I side joke. Petrucci the Bear, Jordan the Wizard, Mangini the Genie, Myung the Ninja, LaBrie the Pirate

Portnoy the Camel

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline coz

« Reply #578 on: April 02, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »
Oh yeah, well familiar with the pirate.  Fan since '94.  Should have said that the shirt seems kinda odd.  Just saw a video from SF.  His shirt there had a Jason Voorhees mask on it.  LoL!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:45:50 PM by coz »
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #579 on: April 02, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »
Dude was wearing a pirate hat in the front row and james motioned for him to hand it over.  He wore it for about a minute and then gave it back. It was pretty hilarious/awesome.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #580 on: April 02, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »

The Mangini part of this goes back to the ADTOE tour.  There's an animation that was played at some point during the show that showed these characters doing something (don't remember what), except that I don't think Petrucci was a bear.  The characters made a return on the DT12 tour, and I think the cartoon played during Enigma Machine.  The animation is probably included on one or both of Live at Luna Park and/or Breaking the Fourth Wall (I haven't watched either in a while).  I couldn't find either on YouTube (although I didn't look very hard).

However, some of this goes back much further.

In the commentary track on Live Scenes from a Memory, MP and or JP make a couple references to "Jordan Rudess action figure," as a comment on a couple of "poses" by JR during the course of the concert.  Sometime after that, a fan created a very funny mock commercial for a Jordan Rudess action figure and posted it on YouTube.  One part of the commercial said something about "Wizard mode" and "Wizard hat not included" (or something like that).  The same fan then created mock commercials for James Labrie and John Petrucci action figures (but sadly, not for JM or MP).  All of the originals of these videos seem to be gone from YouTube, but someone else uploaded the Petrucci "commercial":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFLfq8YH0AM  I believe the same guy also created "The Dark Nintendo Night" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-QGtEIHc3g ), which I recall being played during intermission sometime on the SC or BC&SL tour.

The Wizard character made a return in the animation that played during the "Full Circle" section of "Octavarium" during the tour for that album.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6s4AOwePq0  That animation appears as an extra on the Score DVD.  Similar animation was used on SC tour during the instrumental section of "The Dark Eternal Night."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAVUlbbbdL4  In both of these videos, only JR is a "character" other than himself.

Finally, on the ADTOE tour, each member was portrayed as a character (but again, I don't think Petrucci's character was a bear).  The Petrucci bear character comes from the JP action figure video, and I think that is based on some other YouTube video, all of which is based on the combination of JP's musical prowess, his increasing musculature and beard.

Jordan embraced the wizard thing (all of his apps are "SomethingWiz"), and JLB embraced the pirate persona to a somewhat lesser degree.

I'm sure folks who know better will add details I missed or correct things I got wrong.

Portnoy the Camel

Not a camel.  His great-grandfather on his mother's side was a Llama.  https://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/faq/answers/32.aspx#259
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #581 on: April 02, 2019, 04:32:42 PM »
The bear nickname came from people joking on this forum.  There was a meme that somebody drew and posted a long time ago of JP evolving into a bear.  http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/wikiality/images/a/a9/Petrucci.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070325065516
 I believe it was done either during the SDOIT or TOT tour cycles.  That exact picture is sampled briefly in the JP action figure video, which forum member BlobVanDam created (he also did some tour videos for the band on the SC tour). 

The pirate and wizard nicknames also evolved from forum jokes as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2019, 04:42:52 PM »
Oh man I new what that picture was before even clicking the link. So glad that is saved for posterity. Didn't someone actually show that to JP once?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #583 on: April 02, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
Jordan, the wizard, I believe has to do with the recordings of Liquid Tension albums, there was some kind of a magician's hat that Jordan toyed with.
Tour diary from Levin: https://papabear.com/tours/lte99/photos/lte/jordwiz.jpg
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #584 on: April 05, 2019, 12:10:14 AM »
Just came back from the Toronto show. My God, I can't even express how overwhelmed I am by this concert.
In The Presence of Enemies was a huge surprise for me, and I was extremely happy that they played it. Everything else wasn't too much of a surprise, but it was awesome to hear Barstool Warrior live.

The Scenes From A Memory set just blew me away. I honestly cried during Through Her Eyes, and also teared up during The Spirit Carries On (having performed that song on stage myself, it does hold a lot of significance for me, but I've never actually personally seen them perform it live). The rest of the time, I had butterflies in my belly.

The new animations they got for Scenes From A Memory were great too, I'm definitely glad they went with those, instead of reusing the live action footage from 1999.

James is phenomenal on this tour, not only is he bringing his A game vocally, but he's also delivering a lot of stage presence. It's absolutely awesome.

Just, everything was great at this show, not a single complaint. Even A Nightmare to Remember, which is my least favorite song of the ones they played was interesting to listen to live, and also marks the first concert where they played all 3 songs that Mike Mangini auditioned with, which is pretty cool, if you ask me.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #585 on: April 05, 2019, 02:08:05 AM »
Awesome, I'm glad you had a great time!  If they ever make a live concert video of this tour, I hope they keep ITPOE PT1 in the set list.  How was the crowd in Toronto?  Probably Alot of Rush fans there.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

« Reply #586 on: April 05, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
Awesome, I'm glad you had a great time!  If they ever make a live concert video of this tour, I hope they keep ITPOE PT1 in the set list.  How was the crowd in Toronto?  Probably Alot of Rush fans there.

Well, yeah, of course, haha, especially the older dudes. But honestly, I was surprised and impressed to see how many really young people there were. Parents were bringing their kids, and there were a lot of young 'musician types' there too. A lot of Opeth and Haken fans, from the conversations I've overheard.
The venue sits about 3200, and it was filled, from what I could see too.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #587 on: April 06, 2019, 05:03:58 AM »
Saw them in Toronto too, and man, did they crush it!!! It was my first time seeing SFAM live in full, and this made me appreciate the album even more, if that's even possible. James sang REALLY well, and nailed even the toughest vocal moments of the set. Mangini was simply amazing, and did all the Scenes material justice while leaving his mark on those songs. The negative comment goes for the Toronto crowd, which was seriously disengaged, at least where I was sitting. Good attendance, but I noticed people checking Facebook during the show...come on, people, you're seeing the best band on the planet and you chose to check out Facebook?

« Reply #588 on: April 06, 2019, 06:05:36 AM »
Saw them in Toronto too, and man, did they crush it!!! It was my first time seeing SFAM live in full, and this made me appreciate the album even more, if that's even possible. James sang REALLY well, and nailed even the toughest vocal moments of the set. Mangini was simply amazing, and did all the Scenes material justice while leaving his mark on those songs. The negative comment goes for the Toronto crowd, which was seriously disengaged, at least where I was sitting. Good attendance, but I noticed people checking Facebook during the show...come on, people, you're seeing the best band on the planet and you chose to check out Facebook?

Where were you sitting?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #589 on: April 06, 2019, 07:00:15 AM »
It looks like Fall Into the Light has completely replaced Paralyzed.
Can't we find the minds

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #590 on: April 06, 2019, 07:02:47 AM »

That is great news, considering Fall into the Light is miles better.  :tup :tup

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #591 on: April 06, 2019, 07:14:12 AM »
Great show yesterday in Montreal.  Awesome musical performance as expected.  And their last album is fantastic.  I'm in love again with that band.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #592 on: April 06, 2019, 07:16:55 AM »
Great show yesterday in Montreal.  Awesome musical performance as expected.  And their last album is fantastic. I'm in love again with that band.
that's was my reaction when ADTOE came out. Besides that, nice to hear most of us here enjoy the tour so far.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #593 on: April 06, 2019, 07:47:24 AM »

Where were you sitting?

My seat was R89.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #594 on: April 06, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »

That is great news, considering Fall into the Light is miles better.  :tup :tup

:omg: :'(