Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143967 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #490 on: March 27, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »
He only waves the flag up there for the Trooper, but spends significant time running across that all show. But we are also comparing DT to an arena act where that huge stage and using that space is more useful for engaging with a large and far away audience (Bruce has talked about this).  If DT use the space, it's great I think.  My initial thought was a bit surprised to see it though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #491 on: March 27, 2019, 10:18:43 PM »
With the current tour's setlist and many complaints about it, like playing PMU again or doing these anniversary tours, I decided to look into DT's full catalog and list all the songs they've played live since MM joined the band, more than 8 years ago, to see how varied the setlists have been since the first show with this lineup.

Well, out of 170 DT tracks which are basically the whole catalog, considering 14 studio albums, ACOS, Majesty demos, Cleaning out the Closet, Raw Dog, etc, since Mangini joined they've played a total of 111 tracks (I'm counting FAS and the NOMAC tracks here as well), which makes about 65% of the catalog, counting tracks, not lenght. That's an incredible thing right there. And if they keep touring for D/T next year and don't do the SFAM thing anymore, they could do the other songs from the album that haven't been played yet + others from previous albums they haven't played since MM joined, that % could go even higher.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline coz

« Reply #492 on: March 27, 2019, 10:30:12 PM »
During the Scenes portion of the show. I forget which show. It may have been The Spirit Carries On. I don't remember.

Thank you. I meant what were the names on them?

Squire
Emerson
Cornell
Abbott

Those are the ones I remember, but there were more (probably had Lake too).

It was a very cool touch.  Squire was the first one I noticed, and then I realized what they were doing.  Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks man.  I hadn't noticed Emerson and Abbott.  At the Denver show last night, I did notice Bowie and Zappa on the last two headstones as well.  It was a nice sentimental touch!
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #493 on: March 27, 2019, 11:50:30 PM »
What’s the cell phone policy for this tour? Just curious because I usually like to snap a few shots
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: March 28, 2019, 05:54:48 AM »
Anyone else notice JP has switched to a wireless unit? He's always been a cable man. Probably has to do with the elaborate stage setup with the stairs and risers and whatnot. Thought it was interesting though.

That totally caught my attention, to the best of my knowledge, JP has never toured with a wireless unit before, he's ALWAYS been a cable guy. In fact he's made a point over the years of mentioning it in rig videos, that he prefers the sound of a cable. It's worth noting JMX is wireless for this tour too, not sure if he has ever done that before or not.

JP has always used cables and JM has been using wireless for a while now (funny, because he almost never moves during the show, I'd be surprised if he even blinks onstage at all :lol).

The stage design looks very very cool, and it's a nice change for them. Yes, they could move around a bit more, but they aren't 20 year olds running around the stage like on the Live in Tokyo IAW release anymore.

Actually, i’m almost sure he’s been wireless since Images, stayed that also through Awake, FII and   Scenes and switched to cable by the time of SDOIT.
Wireless was really an 80’s/90’s thing.

Offline llpyyz

« Reply #495 on: March 28, 2019, 07:41:16 AM »
During the Scenes portion of the show. I forget which show. It may have been The Spirit Carries On. I don't remember.

Squire
Emerson
Cornell
Abbott

It was a very cool touch.  Squire was the first one I noticed, and then I realized what they were doing.  Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks man.  I hadn't noticed Emerson and Abbott.  At the Denver show last night, I did notice Bowie and Zappa on the last two headstones as well.  It was a nice sentimental touch!

Pretty sure I saw Vaughn as well.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #496 on: March 28, 2019, 07:45:07 AM »
With the current tour's setlist and many complaints about it, like playing PMU again or doing these anniversary tours, I decided to look into DT's full catalog and list all the songs they've played live since MM joined the band, more than 8 years ago, to see how varied the setlists have been since the first show with this lineup.

Well, out of 170 DT tracks which are basically the whole catalog, considering 14 studio albums, ACOS, Majesty demos, Cleaning out the Closet, Raw Dog, etc, since Mangini joined they've played a total of 111 tracks (I'm counting FAS and the NOMAC tracks here as well), which makes about 65% of the catalog, counting tracks, not lenght. That's an incredible thing right there. And if they keep touring for D/T next year and don't do the SFAM thing anymore, they could do the other songs from the album that haven't been played yet + others from previous albums they haven't played since MM joined, that % could go even higher.

And if we consider only the pre-Mangini era, It's even more impressive the amount of songs already played - MM had to work hard to learn all of  this, for sure! If my memory is correct, from each album:

WDaDU: FiL, YJ an Afterlife
I&W: All
Awake: All minus Erotomania/Voices/Silent Man.
FII: PS, BMS, HK and ToT
Met. 2: All
6D: TGD, About to Crash/WIMH/TTTSTA
ToT: AIA and ES
Octavarium: TRoAE, TW and PA
SC: ITPoTE pt1, Forsaken, CM, TDEN
BC&SL: ANtR, TSF and TCoT
Edit: and I forgot ACoS, To live forever and Don’t look past me!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:59:53 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #497 on: March 28, 2019, 08:15:07 AM »

And if we consider only the pre-Mangini era, It's even more impressive the amount of songs already played - MM had to work hard to learn all of  this, for sure! If my memory is correct, from each album:

Awake: All minus Erotomania/Voices/Silent Man.
BC&SL: ANtR, TSF and TCoT

Add Wither , they played The Silent Man

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #498 on: March 28, 2019, 08:38:49 AM »

Awake: All minus Innocence Faded/Erotomania/Voices.
BC&SL: ANtR, Wither, TSF and TCoT

Fixed it :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #499 on: March 28, 2019, 08:42:13 AM »
You’re right, which makes this list even more impressive  :tup

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #500 on: March 28, 2019, 09:03:08 AM »
When did they play Wither with Mangini?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline devieira73

« Reply #501 on: March 28, 2019, 09:10:28 AM »
2015 tour

Offline gzarruk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #503 on: March 28, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »

Squire
Emerson
Cornell
Abbott

Yes.  I knew there were more than the four I mentioned.  Now that you two mention them, I do recall Bowie, Zappa and Vaughn.  I thought Zappa and Vaughn were surprising since all of the others were recent.  Was Hendrix in there too?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #504 on: March 28, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »

Yes.  I knew there were more than the four I mentioned.  Now that you two mention them, I do recall Bowie, Zappa and Vaughn.  I thought Zappa and Vaughn were surprising since all of the others were recent.  Was Hendrix in there too?

I believe so yes. Mercury as well.

We should put together the list.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #505 on: March 28, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »
Burton and Rhoads as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #506 on: March 28, 2019, 03:15:33 PM »
You could make it more impressive yet by decreasing the available list from 170, because things like the Majesty Demos and Cleaning Out the Closet are never going to be considered for setlists.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #507 on: March 28, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
You could make it more impressive yet by decreasing the available list from 170, because things like the Majesty Demos and Cleaning Out the Closet are never going to be considered for setlists.
Or Raw Dog.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #508 on: March 28, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
things like the Majesty Demos and Cleaning Out the Closet are never going to be considered for setlists.

Except for when they are.

Don't Look Past Me was played 13 times between October 25 and November 12, 2017.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #509 on: March 28, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
things like the Majesty Demos and Cleaning Out the Closet are never going to be considered for setlists.

Except for when they are.

Don't Look Past Me was played 13 times between October 25 and November 12, 2017.

TLF was played too.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #510 on: March 28, 2019, 10:11:42 PM »
The Minnesota show just finishes up. I’ll post more when I get home but that was one of the best DT shows I’ve ever seen. You can tell how much fun they’re having.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Volante99

« Reply #511 on: March 29, 2019, 01:10:35 AM »
Just got back from the MN show myself.

Damn fine concert, quite possibly the best DT show I’ve been to (seen them 5 times now).

Overall, I didn’t find it too loud at all. Well within line of your typical rock/metal concert. The first couple songs had some issues with the levels. The snare and JR’s keys were way too loud (compared to the rest of the band) but got better as the evening went on. By the time SFaM came, levels were PERFECT.

JP was having technical issues during the intro to Paralyzed, so JR and MM had a 2 minute back and forth jam session that the crowd enjoyed  :P

JP was on fire all night. His solo to Spirit Carries On was just face melting, even JLB looked impressed.

JLB also did a great job. People give him grief but when you actually hear him LIVE, in the flesh, he’s still phenomenal.

My only nitpick critique would be ANtR as the second song choice. I love the song but it just goes on toooo long, and it’s awkward following your opening tune. People around me were getting restless. A couple shorter songs would have been better in the opening set to keep the momentum going.

Offline MM

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2019, 02:48:36 AM »
mm finally free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL10esfXpso

I'm at work so I can't watch but I've already seen MM on the end of FF for this tour. Pretty impressive to say the least.
Btw, welcome to the forum, MM! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #514 on: March 29, 2019, 06:43:04 AM »
Or Raw Dog.
Holding out hope for that one.

No I'm not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #516 on: March 29, 2019, 07:11:40 AM »
JP was having technical issues during the intro to Paralyzed, so JR and MM had a 2 minute back and forth jam session that the crowd enjoyed  :P

Thanks for the description! Here's footage of said technical issues + JR and MM jam! https://youtu.be/lhZ8GJ61nyE?t=925 (15:30 if the timed link doesn't work)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #517 on: March 29, 2019, 08:28:44 AM »
mm finally free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL10esfXpso

Legit.
So, MM is doing a totally different solo every night, really cool!
Funny to note that MM went from not doing any solo on this song to soloing like a maniac! :lol

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #518 on: March 29, 2019, 08:40:17 AM »
Funny to note that MM went from not doing any solo on this song to soloing like a maniac! :lol

Agree, there is no middle point!  ;D

I love what he is playing in that section!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #519 on: March 29, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »

Thanks for the description! Here's footage of said technical issues + JR and MM jam! https://youtu.be/lhZ8GJ61nyE?t=925 (15:30 if the timed link doesn't work)

That was fun to watch. :) I knew there was a reason I keep coming back to this thread.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: March 29, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »

I love when stuff like this happens at concerts, being able to improvise is a big positive in my mind when I look at which musicians I really like.  Do you wimper and go offstage, or do you put on a show regardless?  Love it.

Offline amtran8454

« Reply #521 on: March 29, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »

Squire
Emerson
Cornell
Abbott

It was Through Her Eyes if memory serves...also caught Rhoads...Nice touch though

Offline amtran8454

« Reply #522 on: March 29, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »

Yep.. I was one to complain, only to change my mind after seeing the SF show. I also realized that out of the past 4 tours, only 5 songs from this setlist were played live during that time. Cant name any bands that have done that...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: March 29, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
My "complaints" about the set were all personal to me and my own choices (I'd rather see AWE than PBD, I'd rather see S2n and maybe a TA song or two instead of ANTR), DT has done a fabulous job of rotating songs each tour since MM joined and the facts show that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #524 on: March 29, 2019, 01:49:03 PM »
I actually didn't mind the set at all. Except the encore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD