Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 144011 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #420 on: March 25, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »
I saw and heard some other interesting things during sound check as well that I will not get into right now.  I don't know when or how they may be brought in at some point.  But it was very cool, and that's all I'll say about that.  ;)

Tease!

One thing I didn't mention in my prior post was that a bunch of folks were lined up along the edge of the stage as the road crew started tearing things down.  One other person and I were trying to get someone to give us the set list that was taped down near JM's pedal board (not sure how we'd have divided it had we gotten it).  A guy who I assume was JM's bass tech ignored us, and then another guy seemed willing to give it to us and was about to start removing it from the floor, but the first guy tapped him on the back and told him not to do so.  I couldn't help but wonder why.

I was front row during for a show on TA tour, the setlist was right in front of me and kept asking the techs for it after the show and they said no.  I don't get it, that's a fun part (throwing it into the crowd) and nice piece of memorabilia for the show for whoever gets it.  I was pretty upset, when I saw it there I thought for sure my chances were super high I would be leaving with it.

The only legit reason I can think of for not giving it away is if it has info that the band (or JM) doesn't want made public, but it appeared to me nothing more than a list of songs.  The stage at the Wiltern a good 4.5+ feet high, though, so it's not like I got a great look at it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #421 on: March 25, 2019, 03:41:54 PM »

I feel like doing all of SFAM on the SECOND time through would've been fine. At least get a proper D/T tour first.

Yeah, but then they'd miss the anniversary opportunity.  And doing SFAM to further boost ticket sales (which it will across the broader fan base) at this stage of things really makes a ton of business sense.  It's really a VERY solid choice for right now.  And this is Dream Theater we're talking about.  Those other d/t songs WILL be played at some point, whether it is on another leg of the d/t tour or on future tours.  Can you think of a band with such a huge catalog of music that goes out of their way to constantly play so much of it?  There aren't many.

I understand it's an Anniversary and a chance to cash in. And I have long appreciated the amount of their catalog that gets played, and JP has certainly acquitted himself as a great setlist writer.

Hey, the move has obviously worked. Seems the Boston show is sold out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: March 25, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »
I've been attending DT shows in NYC for 10 years now, first time seeing one sold out (maybe last time was for Score?) sucks for me because I was banking on it not selling out when I wasn't able to get any decent seats during the time it went on sale. 

Offline hockeydude25

« Reply #423 on: March 25, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »
Does anyone know if they are still selling the signed merch?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #424 on: March 25, 2019, 06:54:21 PM »
They were last night.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline amtran8454

« Reply #425 on: March 25, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »
As a more recent fan (2014, seen them on tour each go around since) I am a tad disappointed that SDoIT is not represented in the set list. Overall though.... set list is fine. Also, I get that SFaM has to be played in its entirety but, I heard 4 songs from it on Along For The Ride tour. And the encore...Pull Me Under? I mean, come on..IaW was just played in its entirety last go around. Minor shit I know..looking forward to catching the Masonic show.  :metal   ;D

^^ Disregard this nonsense I posted above. SFaM was great  That is all

Offline Volante99

« Reply #426 on: March 25, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »
Twin Cities seems to be nearly sold out. They sold out in 2014 really quickly because they played a smaller venue (I think their usual/larger venues were booked), and TA had probably 85-90% sell through. They skipped us for the I&W tour so there’s probably some pent up demand compared to other cities.

Glad to see they still do well in MN despite being a smaller market.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #427 on: March 25, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »
Despite my quibbles that more new songs should be played, I am glad to see everyone is enjoying the shows so far. :tup :tup

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #428 on: March 26, 2019, 03:33:42 AM »
When I was let in for sound check and saw the layout, I commented on that, and was informed that the band prefer seated gigs and are booking either venues with seating or that can be configured that way.

And a large proportion of their fan base are crying out FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY? It sucks all the atmosphere out of what is supposed to be a metal gig, and fans who can't stand up for that long can get seats in the balcony / bleachers. Leave the stalls area standing! This is heavy metal, not Barry Manilow!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #429 on: March 26, 2019, 05:41:38 AM »
I prefer seated.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #430 on: March 26, 2019, 06:02:29 AM »
Both are fine. It's the same concert after all.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #432 on: March 26, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
When I was let in for sound check and saw the layout, I commented on that, and was informed that the band prefer seated gigs and are booking either venues with seating or that can be configured that way.

And a large proportion of their fan base are crying out FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY? It sucks all the atmosphere out of what is supposed to be a metal gig, and fans who can't stand up for that long can get seats in the balcony / bleachers. Leave the stalls area standing! This is heavy metal, not Barry Manilow!

Why should fans who can't stand for an entire show be stuck in the back or up top?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: March 26, 2019, 09:26:47 AM »
Seating also helps relative short-arses like me (5'6) to actually see the band as well as hear it ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #434 on: March 26, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
I was in the 4th row and Nobody sat. I like the GA, but am gonna stand anyway.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #435 on: March 26, 2019, 09:37:24 AM »
Not a complaint just an observation but they played songs off only 5 albums. Of course one of those was an entire album. :)

I and W
SFAM
Chaos
Black Clouds
D/T

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #436 on: March 26, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
That's my point - everyone stands anyway. The seats just become an obstacle, and you can't move if you're stuck next to some a-hole with bad personal hygiene issues, or who just wants to shout into his phone all night.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #437 on: March 26, 2019, 10:42:50 AM »
That's my point - everyone stands anyway.

I prefer sitting. I really don't see the point in standing. I'm just there to watch and listen. No one stands during a movie in a cinema. The only time I stand is when I can't see because everyone in front of my is standing.

The best part about seeing The Astonishing (thrice) was that no one was standing. I got to just sit and enjoy, not constantly move my head from left to right trying to maintain line of sight with the stage. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #438 on: March 26, 2019, 10:45:40 AM »

I prefer sitting. I really don't see the point in standing. I'm just there to watch and listen. No one stands during a movie in a cinema. The only time I stand is when I can't see because everyone in front of my is standing.

The best part about seeing The Astonishing (thrice) was that no one was standing. I got to just sit and enjoy, not constantly move my head from left to right trying to maintain line of sight with the stage.

I agree. There are moments in the concerts where I've jumped from my seat in excitement and what not but in large I prefer to sit and enjoy. I don't see what's wrong with that?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bill1971

« Reply #439 on: March 26, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »
I prefer sitting back and enjoying. ALTHOUGH I do love when I see Living Colour with general admission getting right up against the stage and feeling like I am part of it like I did two years ago. I used to do that in the early days of DT when they played the Birch Hill in the early 90's. But standing when I am far back I don't see the point other than the appearance of being more into it, when the band looks out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: March 26, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »
I prefer not only to stand, but to get into the music, meaning move my arms and body and not be confined to a seat.  However, I've been to enough DT shows to know that their fan base would prefer to stand motionless and take the show more like a movie or play than like a traditional metal concert.  It's a reason why this is a meme my friends joke about when I ask if they want to come with me to see DT:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #441 on: March 26, 2019, 11:54:20 AM »
As someone whose formative years were spent in GA venues: I hate seated venues. There is zero energy, and many artists have said as much.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #442 on: March 26, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
As someone whose formative years were spent in GA venues: I hate seated venues. There is zero energy, and many artists have said as much.

I'm paying to be entertained by the artists, not the other way around.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #443 on: March 26, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »
To quote Marco Minnemann from the drummer auditions: "You give energy to the people, and they give it back".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #444 on: March 26, 2019, 12:14:56 PM »
To quote Marco Minnemann from the drummer auditions: "You give energy to the people, and they give it back".

Bingo.  My preference is always to have seats, so I can pick my spots when I want to sit or stand, although I will never be that guy standing when everyone else behind me is sitting, but it goes without saying that most bands will feed off of an energetic crowd.

No they don't.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: March 26, 2019, 12:16:48 PM »
A close comparison (prog music) could be Steven Wilson who's last US tour he chose GA venues because he didn't like the low energy of seated venues, and his music is much less heavy than DT.  But that's the artist choice, it seems DT are fine with the low energy crowd.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #446 on: March 26, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »
The really annoying thing about seated venues is this constant

1 Stand up when song ends, clap and cheer
2 Stay standing for a while, then because there's a seat behind you you sit down
3 The guys in front of you are more diehard than you, so they stay standing longer
4 Some sitting guy asks the standing guys to sit down, they eventually do it
5 Song ends, goto 1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #447 on: March 26, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
Sounds like church.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: March 26, 2019, 12:42:19 PM »
I've said this before here, but my good friend and I saw Iron Maiden during AMOLAD tour, we were poor then and could only get nosebleeds, but we stood the entire time but near the end, the people behind us I guess got tired of us being in their way and started complaining to us.  My friend caved in and sat, I said sorry I'm not sitting this is my favorite band and the only time I may ever see these songs.  My friend regrets sitting to this day.  Said it ruined the show for him as he lost his feeling for the show. 

Flash forward 10 years and last year we saw the Images and Words tour.  We stood the entire time and the people behind said they had no problem, but the people behind them complained and even got an usher but the usher didn't care, we stood the entire time.  it felt like a make up for the past.  Now, I do feel kind of like an ass, but also, support the band and show you are into it.  I'm sure the band enjoyed seeing two people standing and moving along to the music.

I know JP shook my hand after the TA show because he probably saw I was the only one bobbing my head and acting like I really enjoyed the show. (I was in front row seated for that one, but it just confirmed that he did notice someone was really into the music, he didn't shake anyone elses hand before he left the stage).

Sounds like church.

:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #449 on: March 26, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »
Speaking of church, the weirdest seated gig was actually recently with Neal Morse Band. They played at the Sinclair in Cambridge, a quite popular venue because it is GA with a balcony surrounding the GA area. But ... they put chairs onto the GA area. It felt like a church sitting because of it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #450 on: March 26, 2019, 12:50:01 PM »

Bingo.  My preference is always to have seats, so I can pick my spots when I want to sit or stand, although I will never be that guy standing when everyone else behind me is sitting, but it goes without saying that most bands will feed off of an energetic crowd.

This probably best describes how I feel.  I don't typically like GA because I like some semblence of personal space.  Aside from not liking having (other) sweaty guys pressed up against me, I once had a situation at an Evanescence concert at the Wiltern.  They did GA on the floor within the various tiers.  I was toward the front of one of the tiers, about halfway back on the floor.  Some 20-something girl was pressed up against my back (as though the difference between being 120 and 121 feet from the stage would make a significant difference) and singing at the top of her longs (off key for the most part).  When my dirty looks didn't get her to back off or reduce her volume, I started enhancing my backswing when I pumped my arms to the music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #451 on: March 26, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »
Speaking of church, the weirdest seated gig was actually recently with Neal Morse Band. They played at the Sinclair in Cambridge, a quite popular venue because it is GA with a balcony surrounding the GA area. But ... they put chairs onto the GA area. It felt like a church sitting because of it.

Neal Morse Band

It's kinda a church  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #452 on: March 26, 2019, 12:59:09 PM »
I don't typically like GA because I like some semblence of personal space.

Right. I view seats on the floor not for sitting, but as a spacer. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #453 on: March 26, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
Another thing I really like about GA is the fact that you can choose different vantage points of the band. I can decide halfway in that I want to be closer to the bass player, or that I'm fine seeing the band from afar for a while.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #454 on: March 26, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
Generally, I prefer a GA section on the floor.  I like getting close to the stage and feeling the energy of the crowd.  Yeah, you have to deal with inconsiderate idiots, drunks, and other nuisances.  But I still feel like the overall concert experience is usually better.  At a prog show, whether it's DT, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, or whatever, it IS kinda nice to be able to just sit quietly and take in all the intricacies of what is going on, kind of like a enjoying a symphony or something.  So there is that side too.  But I still generally prefer GA.

Anyhow, I've been to plenty of gigs that were seated and plenty that were not.  Preferences aside, neither really ruins a show.  It can be great either way.  Interestingly, when I went to see DT on the TA tour, it was seated and everyone stayed seated.  (the second show did have a separate standing section that a few of us made our way to)  For the show the other night, it was seated, but once the band came out, everyone stood, and I was glad they did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."