Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 142191 times)

Offline inthebushes

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #315 on: March 23, 2019, 08:11:38 AM »
Been a hardcore fan since 1999 and next month will be my first DT concert. I'm really excited, even though is not my dreamed setlist. Was really bummed with the encore, then I saw a YT video and changed my mind. PMU really works great live. I'm sorry about the guys that have seen them plenty of times, but there's a couple of fans that would die to see a full album paid tribute, and SFAM is one of their top. Loved D/T, but I also love all their catalogue. Sorry if my english is not that good

First Post!

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2019, 08:18:28 AM »
Just looked at tix for the Beacon show...Holy moly!  I know I haven't seen a DT concert since 6DOIT, but damn!!!!  $200+ per seat.   

It's definitely a far cry from early 2000s prices.  lol

Wow. I got 10th row, center for the St Paul show. $79, plus $10 in fees.  It will be well worth it. I am attending alone but I love going to DT shows alone. I can focus and mingle with like-minded souls!  I live 5min away from the venue too; DT gonna be in my 'hood!

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
Back to back nights in the same venue and only one different song in the setlist. Bummer.

Pull Me Under as an encore...Bummer.

Taking up that much set time for a full album play for the third tour in a row? Bummer.

Glad I got to see the band plenty of times in the past, because it just isn't the same now. Still love the band and the music though.

Perhaps a bit. But they continue to produce new music and this latest LP is pretty dang good.  When you've been around for decades you can resort to some 'legacy' stuff and still be relevant. DT is still quite relevant in the prog/metal circle.

Agreed.  It's a shame the band is resorting to these anniversary tours now, in essence making themselves a legacy act, but they want to sell tickets, so there it is.  And make no mistake, when you do two tours in a row featuring classic albums from decades ago, you are in fact a legacy act.  The new album shows that they still have plenty of really good music left in them, but from a touring standpoint, it is what it is now.

Offline lucidlydreaming

« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
Just looked at tix for the Beacon show...Holy moly!  I know I haven't seen a DT concert since 6DOIT, but damn!!!!  $200+ per seat.   

Yea, I've never seen anything like it, sadly it's going to keep me from going to that show

Ditto.  That's a tough pill to swallow.

Offline TodJam

« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »

Yea, I've never seen anything like it, sadly it's going to keep me from going to that show

Yea, but these are all resale tickets. Sometimes, they release regular tickets on the week of the show. Keep an eye on it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
Everyone complaining about everything... bummer.

I’m excited about going to the show, I wish I could participate on this board without feeling like there is something wrong with me. I have to no problem with the set...including the encore. Playing your biggest hit. A song that (outside of this bubble) is universally liked by fans, and comes across great live.  Seems like a no-brainer encore.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »

I’m excited about going to the show, I wish I could participate on this board without feeling like there is something wrong with me. I have to no problem with the set...including the encore. Playing your biggest hit. A song that (outside of this bubble) is universally liked by fans, and comes across great live.  Seems like a no-brainer encore.

There's nothing wrong with you. If you like what they're doing more power to you. This band used to be a very considerate one in regards to live shows. For obvious reasons, the attention to detail is no longer there. It is what it is.

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
'Pull Me Under' was one of the worst possible encore tunes they could have selected-- especially after the Images anniversary tour.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »
Or maybe they are just playing these albums in full because they know that there won't be any guarantees anymore that they can play these landmark albums given their age.

Sometimes I hate these old fans complaining because what about us who never got to see these albums in full, either because we were never in the touring radar before or because we are new fans? So selfish. Complaining about DT becoming a legacy act is so elitist.

One of the reasons I didn't go is because I saw SFAM in its entirety but I'm very glad people got a chance to see it. That was after all 19 years ago.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #324 on: March 23, 2019, 09:09:00 AM »
'Pull Me Under' was one of the worst possible encore tunes they could have selected-- especially after the Images anniversary tour.

This. ITPOE Pt2 could of worked since they are playing the 1st one. At Wit End would have been a no brainer. Trial od Tears, On the backs of angels or Breaking All Illusions...

Would of loved the whole d/t album for the 1st set and the SFAM...

Offline bill1971

« Reply #325 on: March 23, 2019, 09:11:33 AM »

I was disappointed that Rush always had to play Tom Sawyer but then I see the people's reaction around me. Same I think with PMU, bring a fan since 1994 I think here we go again but then I see the crowd. Do I personally wish they'd play AWE instead, of course but they've been doing this for 30 years and can read audience reactions.

Anyhow, my long winded point is that on paper I'm dissapointed in the set list but I'm sure it was amazing live.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: March 23, 2019, 09:15:15 AM »
I just watched an animation that's played before the SFAM set, and man, that was atrocious, first the soundtrack of the animation IMO doesn't match the history that's about to be tell, and second there's a transition from the characters to some sort of nebula that was really bad with a change in the music even worst.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #327 on: March 23, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »
Perhaps a bit. But they continue to produce new music and this latest LP is pretty dang good.  When you've been around for decades you can resort to some 'legacy' stuff and still be relevant. DT is still quite relevant in the prog/metal circle.

Without a doubt.  As a major pioneer of the prog metal subgenre, DT releasing a new album will always be a big thing within those circles, for however long they keep making albums.

No need to feel that way! The different points of view are what make discussions fun!  :tup :tup

I guess the way I see it is, they just released a new album that most of the fan base seems to really liking/loving, and instead of spring boarding off of that momentum with the tour by playing most of the new album, they are merely playing four songs off it. Now, I get that it was decided months ago to play all of Scenes, and they couldn't have known then how the fans were going to react to Distance over Time, but when you look at the history of the band and their tours, no new album has ever gotten this little love in the set lists at the first shows following the release of said new album.  It has always been DT's thing to release a new album and then play the crap out of it live when the tour begins after releasing the album.  That seemingly has now changed.  Sure, they might play all or most on legs later in the year, but for now, it just feels like a lot of the air was let out of the balloon.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #328 on: March 23, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
What will be interesting to see is what they do *after* this tour. Do an Awake anniversary?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #329 on: March 23, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
What will be interesting to see is what they do *after* this tour. Do an Awake anniversary?

Can this tour get itself back to Anaheim if that happens?  I know they did it for The Astonishing.  Played two nights at the Wiltern and then did a show in Anaheim later in the year.  I would love to see them do something in regards to Awake (my favorite of the 90s DT albums).

Offline Volante99

« Reply #330 on: March 23, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »
As a DT super fan, yes, PMU is a disappointing encore.

But you have to remember, there’s a large portion of that crowd who has never been to a DT concert, and it’s their mega hit, and as of last week it’s even taken back the number one spot on Spotify as their most trending/popular song.

In the context of the set list on its OWN, disregarding past tours, playing PMU makes sense because they really aren’t playing many of their classic tunes beyond SFaM, so if you have an extreme limited amount of time, playing THE classic fan favorite is a wise choice.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #331 on: March 23, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »
Someone made a live stream to the FB fan group from half of One Last Tim to the end of Finally Free, don't know if it has been mentioned.

Since it's a spoiler free thread, here it goes...

They made a very cool outro to Finally Free, different from anything I heard, I think it's exclusive for this tour and it sounds like sections from PBD, really awesome. And both James and Mike sounded great to me!! I was kinda disappointed last time Mangini played Finally Free because of the solo at the end, really thought he could've done better, but now he did!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #332 on: March 23, 2019, 10:02:15 AM »
Barstool Warrior: https://youtu.be/zm9P4kTgJTc

Looks like James is having a hard time with the song. :(

I LOLd when I saw Myung move out of his spot when he was supposed to be featured during the second half of the piano break. When the spotlight opened, he's not there.  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #333 on: March 23, 2019, 10:08:37 AM »
Perhaps in twenty years, we'll get a d/t anniversary tour and we'll finally get to hear the full album played in it's entirety. The band members will be replaced by robots except for John Myung. He'll be shredding bass with the A.I. members.   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »
Someone made a live stream to the FB fan group from half of One Last Tim to the end of Finally Free, don't know if it has been mentioned.

They made a very cool outro to Finally Free, different from anything I heard, I think it's exclusive for this tour and it sounds like sections from PBD, really awesome. And both James and Mike sounded great to me!! I was kinda disappointed last time Mangini played Finally Free because of the solo at the end, really thought he could've done better, but now he did!!
Really cool that! Is there any link still available?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2019, 10:37:01 AM »

I LOLd when I saw Myung move out of his spot when he was supposed to be featured during the second half of the piano break. When the spotlight opened, he's not there.  :lol

Thanks had not seen this. I think all 4 new songs are on YouTube now.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2019, 10:55:07 AM »

I think his performance is decent. Hope it gets better.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »

“One Last Tim”! An ode to super-fan TAC possibly?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »
Anyone mention that all the drummer audition songs are in the setlist? That's kinda cool.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #339 on: March 23, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »
I suppose these anniversaries mean the band don't have to think too much about large parts of the setlist. We have to remember too that, with all due respect, the band are getting on a bit. All of them are over 50, and one of them is well into his 60s now. Maybe the days of 3-hour "evening with" shows are past them now. Age catches up with everyone.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #340 on: March 23, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
Did they play Fall into the Light on the second night instead of Paralyzed ? Set list FM said they did but people here said it was the same 1st set. I tend to believe the people here.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #341 on: March 23, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »
Did they play Fall into the Light on the second night instead of Paralyzed ? Set list FM said they did but people here said it was the same 1st set. I tend to believe the people here.

Right. They played FITL second night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJo57xJjXM4
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #342 on: March 23, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »
Hmm. Not a big fan of 2 guitar backing tracks I must say. It sure sounds like the original, but it really isn't live anymore.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2019, 01:13:15 PM »

Right. They played FITL second night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJo57xJjXM4
That was wayyy sick!!!   The best live video I've seen posted so far..  They need to keep that one in the set list indefinitely.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #344 on: March 23, 2019, 01:15:10 PM »
Hmm. Not a big fan of 2 guitar backing tracks I must say. It sure sounds like the original, but it really isn't live anymore.
He likely used a guitar harmonizer fx pedal.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #345 on: March 23, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »
He likely used a guitar harmonizer fx pedal.

Not for the rhythm guitar track under it. For the second melody, maybe, but those pedals are usually too constrained for complex doubling of a melody. In the past JP has relied on a backing track for that, and I assume he does here too.

I think they missed a golden opportunity to blow every fan's mind by having JR whip out his guitar and play the rhythm track.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:32:16 PM by rumborak »

Offline llpyyz

« Reply #346 on: March 23, 2019, 01:49:04 PM »
Saw the show last night at the Wiltern. My second DT show - IW&B in 2017 was my first. Loved it all. ITPOE1 was so cool. And closing set 1 with PBD was epic. That song...my goodness!

So if I counted correctly, they play 29 shows in North America then another 28 in Europe. That wraps on July 26, just in time for JP to take a breather before his Guitar Universe shred camp.

Might they perhaps take a month or so to relax and then embark upon a Fall leg - shows in Asia, South America, and North America? And if so, might they play other songs from DOT that are not in the current rotation - R137, S2N, AWE, OoR, and VK? James mentioned how amazing fan reaction to DOT has been. And I have a hard time believing they don't want to bust out these other tunes. S2N begs to be played lived.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: March 23, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »

DTF is my internet home, but I've recently discovered -in genuine surprise- that there are big pockets of DT fans on the internet who are not on DTF, mostly on fb. Fans outside of DTF are super stoked and happy about the band 99% of any given time, sans for the Portnoy crybabies. I hang with these always-happy people sometimes when I overload on negativity but I'd be a hypocrite if I complained about the negativity cause I'm very aware of how different DT fans are and how the shoe could have easily been on the other foot if the band were doing something I didn't like, cause I'd put my bitching hat on and join the mob in a heartbeat heh
Luckily I'm happy with the setlist and the album so I'm a happy camper atm.

I think that the current "strange" setlist (part 1 of the show with few songs from the last album plus ANTR and ITPOEp1 plus PMU as encore) has a lot to do with the summer festivals that they will be playing soon.

I think you're spot on.

Or maybe they are just playing these albums in full because they know that there won't be any guarantees anymore that they can play these landmark albums given their age.

Sometimes I hate these old fans complaining because what about us who never got to see these albums in full, either because we were never in the touring radar before or because we are new fans? So selfish. Complaining about DT becoming a legacy act is so elitist.

I don't think it's a matter of old/new fans, it is however a matter of selfishness as you say. Everyone wants to hear what they wanna hear and if the band plays something else then it's bad, but what about the fans who wanted that something else? "Fuck em, I want my stuff played".
I'm guilty of that as well, if DT came out with 3 songs from Awake and the song 8VM; I'd be bummed out.
SFAM is my favorite album, I'm good with Enemies and okay with Nightmare so I'm good. As I said, the shoe can easily get on the other foot with every tour.

Debut of fall into the light. Replaced paralyzed.

I need to see Paralyzed so I'm glad it'll be played at least one of my shows.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #348 on: March 23, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »

I can see it now: the next album and tour will be in 2022, and hey, time for a 6DOIT 20th anniversary. :facepalm: :facepalm: :lol :lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #349 on: March 23, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »

Thanks for clarifying Ill check out the video. :)