Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143630 times)

Offline jadiggerdt

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »
Mangini could have played SFAM with one hand. The guy is so so fast and insanel. Lets end the discussion: portnoy who?

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2019, 02:50:08 PM »
The way JLB is doing that section reminds me of the original recordings MP released of that section where JLB had kind of a melody going along with the music behind.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2019, 02:58:58 PM »
You don't need to play to a click to pipe in pre-recorded harmonies (or anything else); you can trigger them in real time, like Rush used to do.

That's actually really hard to do without a click though, if you are a fraction off album tempo, the triggered harmony won't line up.

Also, they use it to be in perfect sync with the videos and the light show.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2019, 03:20:11 PM »
You don't need to play to a click to pipe in pre-recorded harmonies (or anything else); you can trigger them in real time, like Rush used to do.

That's actually really hard to do without a click though, if you are a fraction off album tempo, the triggered harmony won't line up.

It's a question of how long the sample is. Up to 5 seconds or so the drift won't be noticeable. Anything beyond that and you need to play to click.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »
ANTR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXl9bWAswy0

The timestamp for the bit we all were curious about is 11:10 :P

Wow! I was just going to paste the link. I like it so much better than the growling.
That was AWESOME!  After watching that, I hope they keep ANTR for the whole tour and the second leg.  Earlier in this thread I said otherwise, but that video shut me the hell up!   :lol

Lol really? That was all it took?

People make WAAY too big of a deal about those Portnoy growls. Nevermind LaBrie was kinda struggling through the rest of it and the conspicuous canned in vocals.

I felt the same way. Not crazy about the song and when they played it in 2010 for that tour it fell a bit flat. They are a better/tighter band now so I was impressed.

Offline Duke59

« Reply #285 on: March 22, 2019, 04:22:54 PM »
I think that the current "strange" setlist (part 1 of the show with few songs from the last album plus ANTR and ITPOEp1 plus PMU as encore) has a lot to do with the summer festivals that they will be playing soon.

In summer festivals they will be alternating with other bands and their playing time will be a lot shorter. So obviously they will drop SFAM, except for one or two tracks that can potentially impress other bands fanboys - maybe Dance of Eternity or Spirit Carries on. In this light a setlist with  Pull Me Under con be understood, although I cannot undestand why the long (although beautiful)  ANTR instead of 2 or 3 shorter songs . Maybe for the heavy start/end drums part?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
People make WAAY too big of a deal about those Portnoy growls.

How so? The drummer (who is frankly not a good vocalist, especially when you have one of the top vocalists in the genre) sang some rather poor lyrics in a style completely different from their vocalist. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Volante99

« Reply #287 on: March 22, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »
People make WAAY too big of a deal about those Portnoy growls.

How so? The drummer (who is frankly not a good vocalist, especially when you have one of the top vocalists in the genre) sang some rather poor lyrics in a style completely different from their vocalist.

It’s 30 seconds of an already over the top, 16 minute song. By the time the growls come, the song has already gone off the rails a bit anyway. I get why people don’t like it but it’s certainly never ruined my enjoyment of the song and to all of a sudden change your attitude towards the whole piece because LaBrie shrieks it out instead seems strange to me. Personally, it’s just not that big of a deal to me, and certainly not a big game changer for me regarding the song. But to each their own!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
Im home now so just watched the clip of JLB during ANTR, actually really like how he ends it.  But overall, that whole section is not a big deal to me at all.  I never loved it, but never hated it.  Definitely different for a DT song, but really not as big of an issue as some make it to be, at least to me.  It is interesting that he sung it though, just from an artistic way of doing it without MP, it seemed cool to me.

Offline amtran8454

« Reply #289 on: March 22, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
As a more recent fan (2014, seen them on tour each go around since) I am a tad disappointed that SDoIT is not represented in the set list. Overall though.... set list is fine. Also, I get that SFaM has to be played in its entirety but, I heard 4 songs from it on Along For The Ride tour. And the encore...Pull Me Under? I mean, come on..IaW was just played in its entirety last go around. Minor shit I know..looking forward to catching the Masonic show.  :metal   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #290 on: March 22, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
I just noticed, watching the UA live video from yesterday's show, that Jordan does have his Hammond organ onstage, but is playing the organ solos on his Kronos ???
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2019, 05:44:05 PM »
Also, I get that SFaM has to be played in its entirety...

It doesn't have to be though, that was a band decision.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2019, 06:02:21 PM »
I just noticed, watching the UA live video from yesterday's show, that Jordan does have his Hammond organ onstage, but is playing the organ solos on his Kronos ???

The Hammond is probably connected to his Kronos via midi 😊

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2019, 06:21:20 PM »

The Hammond is probably connected to his Kronos via midi 😊

Yeah, you're probably right.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »
Debut of fall into the light. Replaced paralyzed.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:16 PM »

Nice :metal

There's hope for another encore, then.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
You saw on setlistfm or you are actually at the show?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheFrozenInferno

« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2019, 09:51:44 PM »

I had a feeling that slot would rotate

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »

Nice :metal

There's hope for another encore, then.

Immense hope!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »
I'm at the show. Intermission now. No other changes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »
I'm at the show. Intermission now. No other changes.

So no raw dog  :lol

Offline amtran8454

« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »
Also, I get that SFaM has to be played in its entirety...

It doesn't have to be though, that was a band decision.

Oh, no doubt about that. Just referring to the “anniversary” angle they’re using. But, Scenes is easily in my top 3 so..ya. Just getting psyched for Sunday night now r :metal

Offline CaelPetrucci

« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2019, 10:54:56 PM »
So S2N at AWE seem very unlikely to be played on this tour then. I’m actually really disappointed by that.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »
LOL Setlist.fm posted at 10:15pm Pacific:

Setlist
Untethered Angel
A Nightmare to Remember
Fall Into the Light
Barstool Warrior
In the Presence of Enemies, Part I
Pale Blue Dot
Act of Faythe

Encore:
In the Presence of Enemies, Part II
Act of Faythe
Prophets of War
Act of Faythe
Lord Nafaryus

Encore 2:
Through My Words
Violin Solo By John Myung

Encore 3:
Finally Free
(Cut short due to Mike Portnoy having had to go take a dump in the garage.)

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2019, 11:36:56 PM »
LOL Setlist.fm posted at 10:15pm Pacific:

Setlist
Untethered Angel
A Nightmare to Remember
Fall Into the Light
Barstool Warrior
In the Presence of Enemies, Part I
Pale Blue Dot
Act of Faythe

Encore:
In the Presence of Enemies, Part II
Act of Faythe
Prophets of War
Act of Faythe
Lord Nafaryus

Encore 2:
Through My Words
Violin Solo By John Myung

Encore 3:
Finally Free
(Cut short due to Mike Portnoy having had to go take a dump in the garage.)

They went further!

"Acoustic
Regression
Me Too

Electric
Untethered Angel
(with Max Portnoy)
Misunderstood
(James Labrie Ballet Dance Hits Again)
Battery
(Metallica cover)
Canadian Rap
(James Labrie Fell From Stage )
Guitar Solo
(James Labrie Ballet Dance Hits Again)
Lord Nafaryus
(Good Song)

Encore 4:
G Chord
(John Petrucci Could'nt Stand This Song's Difficulty, Ran Out Of Stage)
Blackwater Park"

How far can this maniac go?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #305 on: March 23, 2019, 01:00:41 AM »
On a serious note, at some point during Fatal Tragedy, James realized he sounded as good as he did 20 years ago, and, man, he just lit it up - transformed and energized, wow he had a night!  Full tilt into every song, even a few 1/2 helicopters which I didn't see last night, so I imagine this was special.  Mangini was especially stoked by James' performance,

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #306 on: March 23, 2019, 01:18:16 AM »
I was so stoked watching James and Mangini, I barely watched JP! They killed it! I am only into DT for 3 years now, and I was thrown for a loop with ANTR and TPoE! 2 of my top 10!!  I coudn’t be happier :metal. The best concert I’ve been to!  I love how the predictions on this forum were off lol! Made the surprise even more surprising - so fun!!
That was a seriously rockin’ kick-ass show!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #307 on: March 23, 2019, 03:54:45 AM »
On a serious note, at some point during Fatal Tragedy, James realized he sounded as good as he did 20 years ago, and, man, he just lit it up - transformed and energized, wow he had a night!  Full tilt into every song, even a few 1/2 helicopters which I didn't see last night, so I imagine this was special.  Mangini was especially stoked by James' performance,
Man, he must feel great when he realizes he's having a good night. I'm looking forward to some videos.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #308 on: March 23, 2019, 04:39:59 AM »
Dang, I wish they were coming to Seattle!   I'm stoked for those that do get to see them on this tour. Thanks for posting reviews everyone, it's fun to read and to know the band is doing so well.   :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:17:57 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lucidlydreaming

« Reply #309 on: March 23, 2019, 05:33:14 AM »
Just looked at tix for the Beacon show...Holy moly!  I know I haven't seen a DT concert since 6DOIT, but damn!!!!  $200+ per seat.   

It's definitely a far cry from early 2000s prices.  lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #310 on: March 23, 2019, 06:02:33 AM »
There is a platform in Turkey called "ekşi sözlük", kind of Turkish reddit.

A friend of mine who lives in USA attented two nights of Wiltred. We msg'd about that in ekşi sözlük. I asked him how he find DT's performance overall. He responded very long in Turkish. Here a couple of his thoughts I translated.

* The sound is too loud but James' mix is very low and even sometimes burried and literally there was no sound coming time to time even though James kept on singing.
* Stage looked so simple and good. Visiual effects of SFAM was great.
* This is the first concert that I feel Mike Mangini gives the Portnoy feeling and energy since his presence began. (And he thinks Mangini is technically andvanced but feeling was absent until this concert.)
* To be honest I have zero expection about James' performance because of I&W anniversary tour. But man, James slapped me right in the face. He is just amazing. Not just his voice. He was the most energetic member of all. I can't believe he performed Fatal Tragedy and The Spirit Carries On that well with all high notes.
* Seeing Pull Me Under in two nights was a big dissapointment. I love the song but enough is enough.
* Strange enough John Petrucci did many mistakes in two dates. I'm not a expert. Maybe this is a mix problem or something but several time he messed up some solos and passages. (he did go more than 20 concerts of DT and never witness that more than minor fails.)
* Overall this tour starts pretty amazing. After TA and I&W tours which I didn't enjoy that much DoT tour gave my energy back.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: March 23, 2019, 06:08:40 AM »
Back to back nights in the same venue and only one different song in the setlist. Bummer.

Pull Me Under as an encore...Bummer.

Taking up that much set time for a full album play for the third tour in a row? Bummer.

Glad I got to see the band plenty of times in the past, because it just isn't the same now. Still love the band and the music though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #312 on: March 23, 2019, 07:06:49 AM »
Back to back nights in the same venue and only one different song in the setlist. Bummer.

Pull Me Under as an encore...Bummer.

Taking up that much set time for a full album play for the third tour in a row? Bummer.

Glad I got to see the band plenty of times in the past, because it just isn't the same now. Still love the band and the music though.

Agreed.  It's a shame the band is resorting to these anniversary tours now, in essence making themselves a legacy act, but they want to sell tickets, so there it is.  And make no mistake, when you do two tours in a row featuring classic albums from decades ago, you are in fact a legacy act.  The new album shows that they still have plenty of really good music left in them, but from a touring standpoint, it is what it is now.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #313 on: March 23, 2019, 07:19:49 AM »
Or maybe they are just playing these albums in full because they know that there won't be any guarantees anymore that they can play these landmark albums given their age.

Sometimes I hate these old fans complaining because what about us who never got to see these albums in full, either because we were never in the touring radar before or because we are new fans? So selfish. Complaining about DT becoming a legacy act is so elitist.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: March 23, 2019, 08:00:46 AM »
Just looked at tix for the Beacon show...Holy moly!  I know I haven't seen a DT concert since 6DOIT, but damn!!!!  $200+ per seat.   

It's definitely a far cry from early 2000s prices.  lol

Yea, I've never seen anything like it, sadly it's going to keep me from going to that show