Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143339 times)

Offline cosmicwxdude

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2019, 05:57:18 AM »
I am about to pull the trigger on a ticket for the March 28th show in St Paul at the Ordway Theater. Perfect acoustics.  I've been hemming and hawing about going and will go alone. I like going to DT shows alone and mingle with like-minded music lovers. There are 2 tix, row 10 left on the main floor.  Going to buy it now!  See yuz there!

I'll be there! 5th on the Petrucci side.

Ordway is about the only place in the Twin Cities I've never been...is it nice? Good acoustics?

Very nice. They recently opened it up for 'concert series' in past few years. It's been mostly for theater/plays/shows in the past. Great acoustics. Smaller venue than the State or Orpheum.  Very nice venue though in a very nice part of downtown St Paul.  :metal

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2019, 06:17:59 AM »
How is the audience volume so far? Are they playing with full houses?

Offline Pettor

« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2019, 06:36:12 AM »
PDB must be a good song to finally remove any doubts on Mangini. Holy hell! :D

(the intro with Mangini is pure heavy rocking goosebumps!  :metal)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2019, 07:07:51 AM »
It's only the second concert so he will certainly get into the groove, but there's an uncharacteristic amount of flubs by JP in those videos.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erciccio

« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »
It's only the second concert so he will certainly get into the groove, but there's an uncharacteristic amount of flubs by JP in those videos.

Yeah, i noticed that...
In Home a wrong chord and a couple of messed-up scales, and even in PGD many passages from lead to rhythm are not fluid at all...
A bit surprising, let's see if it's just a problem of getting acquainted with the "new" material..
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Pettor

« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2019, 07:15:19 AM »
BTW in regards to PMU. When watching the I&W anniversary tour I think it was pretty clear how good response that song gets live. TBH it was my favorite (except Surrounded) live and rarely the song I enjoy most on the actual CD. The other songs are more focused listening experiences but no where as fun, groovy and catchy for the overall audience.  I think it's a nice song to end with energy, otherwise ofc 8V would have been the perfect choice if you want to end with nirvana feeling!  :angel:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2019, 07:26:30 AM »
I kind of wish they snuck a TA song in the first set. Like moment of betrayal or something on the heavier side of TA. I just hate how they've already stopped playing songs from it. I know a song like ITPOE is more fresh but the TA songs are short and it felt like maybe they could sneak one in and maybe win some fans over on that album by playing one of the heavier songs. Oh well, just hope this lack of TA doesnt extent much longer that this becomes the album DT never goes back to.
What do you mean by already? They played two songs from it pretty much throughout all of the I&W tour last year. They did ignore the album this time around, but there are eight more albums from which not a single song was played last night.

They dropped the TA songs by the time the I&W tour hit the US.  And they are doing the US again without any, it's their second latest album and has short songs that can fill in a set easily.  It feels like it's already a forgotten album.   

Surprised there aren't more YT vids.  Is Insideout taking them down?  Sorry if against rules to ask that question...
I think someone mentioned that security wasn't letting them use their cell phones.  From what you can see from the crowd in the two videos we have I don't see anyone with their phone out.

oh so the ushers are back?

I guess tonight is the night for sure to know if there are going to be rotating setlists. Probably also determines my willingness to buy another ticket.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2019, 07:29:28 AM »
PARALYZED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8x1bXAnCnM
PALE BLUE .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtkDzjBOGvw

That's what I was waiting for a video of pale blue. Sounded amazing Mangini so freaking good

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2019, 07:40:04 AM »
How is the audience volume so far? Are they playing with full houses?

Looking at the availability for St Paul Ordway, the theater holds about 2200 and on the website about 85-90% of tix are sold. But the ones that are not are mainly obscured vis.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2019, 08:04:44 AM »

Yeah I noticed the same thing, something to keep an eye on if it doesn't clear up in a couple shows. If it does, we can just attribute it to beginning of tour rust.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2019, 08:21:57 AM »
Surprised there aren't more YT vids.  Is Insideout taking them down?  Sorry if against rules to ask that question...
I think someone mentioned that security wasn't letting them use their cell phones.  From what you can see from the crowd in the two videos we have I don't see anyone with their phone out.

I guess tonight is the night for sure to know if there are going to be rotating setlists. Probably also determines my willingness to buy another ticket.

Everyone around me had their phones up and honestly, despite my view issues, I didn't honestly had a problem with them.  The only time I did have a problem was when one guy was standing on his chair a couple of rows ahead of me and was filming for like 30 minutes or so on his phone and block a good amount of my vantage of the stage.  He didn't make any gesture of applauding at all.  Now, that one I wished there was an usher there, or at least, someone behind him telling him to step down, but I don't think they care much to tell him that.

Offline Red_Queen

« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2019, 08:34:25 AM »
All those complains about few mistakes JP did. Lets face the reality. Is there anyone who can play all those complex songs and solos during 2 hours set without mistakes ?
 :eek

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2019, 08:43:13 AM »
All those complains about few mistakes JP did. Lets face the reality. Is there anyone who can play all those complex songs and solos during 2 hours set without mistakes ?
 :eek

Oh I'm not complaining, just observing. I think it's probably just him getting used to the set. JP's musical memory is insane, so I'm guessing after a couple shows it'll be embedded into his brain.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »
I don't think anyone is complaining. It's just very uncharacteristic for JP to make those mistakes.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »

Everyone around me had their phones up and honestly, despite my view issues, I didn't honestly had a problem with them.  The only time I did have a problem was when one guy was standing on his chair a couple of rows ahead of me and was filming for like 30 minutes or so on his phone and block a good amount of my vantage of the stage.  He didn't make any gesture of applauding at all.  Now, that one I wished there was an usher there, or at least, someone behind him telling him to step down, but I don't think they care much to tell him that.

Ah, it's probably a by venue thing, like even last tour 1/3 of the shows had the ushers. 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2019, 08:53:47 AM »

Yeah I noticed the same thing, something to keep an eye on if it doesn't clear up in a couple shows. If it does, we can just attribute it to beginning of tour rust.

I remember him being a bit sloppy (for Petrucci standards) on the first few shows on the 2014 and I&W tour. He’ll get better. It’s ALOT of material.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2019, 09:23:14 AM »
ANTR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXl9bWAswy0

The timestamp for the bit we all were curious about is 11:10 :P

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2019, 09:26:50 AM »

Oof.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »

Wow! I was just going to paste the link. I like it so much better than the growling.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2019, 10:27:13 AM »

Wow! I was just going to paste the link. I like it so much better than the growling.
Yeah, that half-spoken snarl reminds me of Dave Mustaine and actually fits that section.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:33 AM »
only tracks left now are Finally Free and In the Presence of Enemies that i haven't seen videos for. Interested to see if they did the Metropolis 2000 Outro this time? made me so happy hearing MP do it for the Shattered Fortress Tour

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2019, 10:39:29 AM »

That was AWESOME!  After watching that, I hope they keep ANTR for the whole tour and the second leg.  Earlier in this thread I said otherwise, but that video shut me the hell up!   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »

That was great! Except was there a gas leak in the building? The audience looks pretty lifeless.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »
I’m hoping at least that MM makes a solo at the end of Finally Free, because it’s the way the song was originally written and it would be even better with him adding his own drum solo, of course!
That outro would be awesome!
I guess if tonight, that will be the second show in the same city, in a row, we don’t have anything different in the setlist, it will be it for the rest of tour.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »

That was great! Except was there a gas leak in the building? The audience looks pretty lifeless.

It's a DT concert...in North America...

The biggest prog nerds who barely move their head for 3 hours usually take the first few rows,  and it kinda sets the vibe for the rest of the audience, unfortunately.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »

That was AWESOME!  After watching that, I hope they keep ANTR for the whole tour and the second leg.  Earlier in this thread I said otherwise, but that video shut me the hell up!   :lol

Lol really? That was all it took?

People make WAAY too big of a deal about those Portnoy growls. Nevermind LaBrie was kinda struggling through the rest of it and the conspicuous canned in vocals.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #272 on: March 22, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »

Agreed for me too. Seeing it live, well on you tube, it looks amazing!

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: March 22, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
I don't think anyone is complaining. It's just very uncharacteristic for JP to make those mistakes.

Actually it isn’t since the first tour without MP.
I remember especially at the beginning of the self titled tour there were several of these moments in the first few gigs.
We have to remember that he’s the main guy now caring about all those things going on behind the scenes from finance to tour preparation, production and promotion (of course they have management people helping the band, but he’s mostly the one out of the five who has to think to a lot of things besides showing up and play)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »

Lol really? That was all it took?

People make WAAY too big of a deal about those Portnoy growls. Nevermind LaBrie was kinda struggling through the rest of it and the conspicuous canned in vocals.
:metal Yep, that's all it took. However I wouldn't have my feelings hurt if they rotated it with two songs from d/t. S2N and AWE are good candidates!  I hope this version of ANTR makes it to a concert bluray someday.
 Also one of the reasons DT plays to a click track is so they can pipe in vocal harmonies at times. Nothing new as of the last few tours..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2019, 01:05:33 PM »
You don't need to play to a click to pipe in pre-recorded harmonies (or anything else); you can trigger them in real time, like Rush used to do. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2019, 01:07:03 PM »
You don't need to play to a click to pipe in pre-recorded harmonies (or anything else); you can trigger them in real time, like Rush used to do.

I was under the impression that Jordan was the one who triggered the pre-recorded harmonies/lyrical passages etc. I thought I read that somewhere before?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #277 on: March 22, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »

That's actually really hard to do without a click though, if you are a fraction off album tempo, the triggered harmony won't line up.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: March 22, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »
Saw the setlist.

Damn, they release such a great album that 5 or 6 tracks from it could have been performed, and I would have been pleased.

Who was demanding ANTR and PMU to be played?   ???  Really surprised at their song selection.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: March 22, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
Who was demanding ANTR and PMU to be played?   ???  Really surprised at their song selection.

Ya know, I haven't seen it recently, but ever since MM played ANTR during the tryouts from the DVD when they were searching for a new drummer, many people did wonder why they didn't then play that song live with him.  Maybe that's why it came out now?  I don't know, I really love the song and like it's inclusion, but I do not like that it's so long and maybe cut one or two new songs from the setlist. 

I do think if they did The Glass Prison instead of ANTR that people would be less upset about including a longer old song.