Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143769 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2019, 09:57:06 AM »
Well I was gonna wait til my show next week, but Blabbermouth ruined the setlist for me 😒

Anyway, I’m as shocked as everyone about the setlist. ANTR and ITPOE are interesting choices, haven’t heard those in a while! Surprised that the first set is so short, and yes, PMU as the encore is very disappointing. I’d be fine with the shorter first half if they played Octavarium as the encore instead, but what can you do. We’ll see tonight whether there are rotating sets!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
I would be totally happy if they keep INTPOE part1 even for the second leg, it's not too long and it's a great rocker!  I'm all for replacing ANTR with two d/t songs. 
I'm wondering if PMU is a business decision, being that it is the song that really put them on the map. The average DT fan outside of the hardcore realm would be waiting to hear it live.  Management or the label could have given them a nudge to play it,, plus it is a great song!  It's kind of like Tom Sawyer is a must play for RUSH no matter what..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2019, 10:04:31 AM »
To me, some baffling choices there. It's not April 1st is it??

If you took the 25 minutes wasted on those 2 "epics", we could have At Wit's End, Surrender to Reason, and something from one of Mangini's other albums. Oh well. I do understand that there isn't time for a long encore, so PMU works although most are plenty sick of it.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2019, 10:13:05 AM »
I think DTF's tastes do not necessarily reflect the bigger fanbase, given the enthusiastic reaction I see from a lot of Facebook posts on ANTR and ITPOE (and yes, even PMU).

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »
This video was posted at the Dream Theater Latino FB page, apparently is the INTRO of the concert, does anyone can verify it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIM78Fyo9_4

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »
I think DTF's tastes do not necessarily reflect the bigger fanbase, given the enthusiastic reaction I see from a lot of Facebook posts on ANTR and ITPOE (and yes, even PMU).

BINGO!

Bloody hell, I can't believe I just agreed with you on something :lol

But yes, I think you're absolutely right. People here are so passionate about DT that they forget DTF is really just a rather small part of DT's fandom. That said, goodness me, I could do without hearing Pull Me Under again (ever again, frankly!).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline earlilano

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
This video was posted at the Dream Theater Latino FB page, apparently is the INTRO of the concert, does anyone can verify it?

This is legit. I saw them last night.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
Wow... I just re-listed to ITPOE. It has been a while. I can't believe they can play the first 2 minutes of that live. Tightest band ever! Can't wait  :metal

Offline rab7

« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2019, 11:53:37 AM »

This is legit. I saw them last night.

Very cool. I immediately pressed play on Untethered Angel, and it sounds perfect since they're in the same key

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »

That's pretty cool.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
I think Pull me under is the perfect choice for the encore song for several reasons. Here's my take on it:

1. Performing a really heavy first set and then an entire album as the second set must be exhausting. For this reason, it would be more comfortable and kind for the band to perform one of their less challenging songs at the very end, one that they really don't have to worry about nailing, since they've played it a thousand times. I think James especially appreciates this, Pull me under was probably the easiest song for him to deliver on the last tour, of all I&W songs.

2. The band is still recovering from the venture of performing an entire new album for a whole year of touring. I can imagine the tour took a toll on the band financially and in terms of some fans being put off by it. I don't think the I&W tour completely solved this. Yes, it did help, but they still need to make sure they include something for the casual fans. Not all the fans are familiar with the last ten years of the band, and not everyone that comes to the concert has religiously listened to the entire SFAM over the years. Therefore, it's great to throw a bone to the people that aren't fans of the entire discography.

3. Given that the second set is almost 80 minutes long, it's obvious why the band decided to play only one, relatively short song as  the encore. And if you go back through the catalog, there are only a handful of songs that are such smash hits that they work well as being the only encore song. As I am and Metropolis come to mind as the only alternatives, and even the latter is a stretch.

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
I am about to pull the trigger on a ticket for the March 28th show in St Paul at the Ordway Theater. Perfect acoustics.  I've been hemming and hawing about going and will go alone. I like going to DT shows alone and mingle with like-minded music lovers. There are 2 tix, row 10 left on the main floor.  Going to buy it now!  See yuz there!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2019, 12:20:44 PM »
I think Pull me under is the perfect choice for the encore song for several reasons. Here's my take on it:

1. Performing a really heavy first set and then an entire album as the second set must be exhausting. For this reason, it would be more comfortable and kind for the band to perform one of their less challenging songs at the very end, one that they really don't have to worry about nailing, since they've played it a thousand times. I think James especially appreciates this, Pull me under was probably the easiest song for him to deliver on the last tour, of all I&W songs.

2. The band is still recovering from the venture of performing an entire new album for a whole year of touring. I can imagine the tour took a toll on the band financially and in terms of some fans being put off by it. I don't think the I&W tour completely solved this. Yes, it did help, but they still need to make sure they include something for the casual fans. Not all the fans are familiar with the last ten years of the band, and not everyone that comes to the concert has religiously listened to the entire SFAM over the years. Therefore, it's great to throw a bone to the people that aren't fans of the entire discography.

3. Given that the second set is almost 80 minutes long, it's obvious why the band decided to play only one, relatively short song as  the encore. And if you go back through the catalog, there are only a handful of songs that are such smash hits that they work well as being the only encore song. As I am and Metropolis come to mind as the only alternatives, and even the latter is a stretch.

I agree with this take. 

As I said earlier, I don't think Pull Me Under works well as an encore, but I won't quibble with its inclusion in the set in general.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2019, 12:49:19 PM »
Anybody see any pics of the merch booth?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 21, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
I would prefer In the Name of God as an encore

Offline TheFrozenInferno

« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2019, 01:05:01 PM »

There's a Reddit post showing the shirts, I don't have the link off hand. There are a handful of D/T designs plus the original SFAM album cover shirt

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2019, 01:23:24 PM »

There's a Reddit post showing the shirts, I don't have the link off hand. There are a handful of D/T designs plus the original SFAM album cover shirt

Gotchu

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
I like the white shirt. Blends nicely with the skull and hand.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheFrozenInferno

« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2019, 01:29:33 PM »
I like the white shirt. Blends nicely with the skull and hand.

Same. I'll probably pick up one of those and the SFAM shirt.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
I am about to pull the trigger on a ticket for the March 28th show in St Paul at the Ordway Theater. Perfect acoustics.  I've been hemming and hawing about going and will go alone. I like going to DT shows alone and mingle with like-minded music lovers. There are 2 tix, row 10 left on the main floor.  Going to buy it now!  See yuz there!

I'll be there! 5th on the Petrucci side.

Ordway is about the only place in the Twin Cities I've never been...is it nice? Good acoustics?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »
I would love that not all the official merch would be black. I like what bands as the FOOs have done with their merch. They have other of colors to chose from  same for other bands as HAKEN or Riverside

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »

Gotchu

Thanks....I like the black skull one and the FitL one. And the Scenes shirt of course

Offline Volante99

« Reply #197 on: March 21, 2019, 01:52:55 PM »
Not picking on DT specifically, it’s a concert, prices are silly, I get it, but $30 for a beanie? Ha

Also I like the $5 upcharge on the XXL...because, you know, the 400% markup on the regular sizes isn’t enough to cover the $0.50 upcharge they are paying for that size.  :P

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »
Been only skimming... No thoughts on the Scenes video screen visuals?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #199 on: March 21, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
Is the FITL one a women's shirt? The Mrs. may want one, but only if it is a woman's cut.

I like the black skull one and SFAM. May have to get both.

I pre-ordered the tourbook on dreamtheater.net after seeing this.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »
Been only skimming... No thoughts on the Scenes video screen visuals?

Speaking of the video screen, what are all those lines/triangles on it? Kinda distracting, I think.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »
Does anyone know if the band played any song with a different arrangement compared to the studio version?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »
They play with click as the album. Little bit low energy. Probably because their first show. They have to change the first set. More short songs! :rollin.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »
I kind of wish they snuck a TA song in the first set. Like moment of betrayal or something on the heavier side of TA. I just hate how they've already stopped playing songs from it. I know a song like ITPOE is more fresh but the TA songs are short and it felt like maybe they could sneak one in and maybe win some fans over on that album by playing one of the heavier songs. Oh well, just hope this lack of TA doesnt extent much longer that this becomes the album DT never goes back to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
I would never have picked ANTR, but I get why they did.

But PMU is a mystery and a disappointment.  It's been played to death, including every single stop of the last tour, and it was part of the encore on the Astonishing tour as well, if memory serves.  I would prefer almost ANY other DT song as an encore over PMU.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2019, 04:00:22 PM »
Its only one show.  If they mix it up a little, it will be fine.  If they play exact set for every single date then that would kinda be a bummer, but I doubt they will, given the great new songs they didn't play last night.  If paralyzed or ANTR is play on every show of this tour then I would be a little let down.    I just dont' think they are going to do that.   And SFAM as the whole second set, thats awesome no matter what.

There, I have defended DT.  So now play In The Name of God as the encore.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2019, 04:08:39 PM »
I liked a lot ANTR and INTPoE, I just whish we have more 2 songs from D/T.
And I think it would be cool MM to do a solo at the end of Finally Free and then play that finale from Live Scenes :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »
And I think it would be cool MM to do a solo at the end of Finally Free and then play that finale from Live Scenes :tup

That would be great, I really love that finale!

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
They should Swap out Nightmare to Remember for Panic Attack, Paralyzed for Wits End/FItL and drop Pull Me Under for a quickie encore of Viper Kinq!  I can understand not wanting one more Epic after SFAM and all that came before it.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »
Surprised there aren't more YT vids.  Is Insideout taking them down?  Sorry if against rules to ask that question...