Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143376 times)

Online DTA

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1575 on: February 09, 2020, 10:12:51 AM »
Not sure how many more DT tours there will be, but do you think they will ever play any of the MP2:SFAM songs again after this tour?t

I wouldn't mind if they retired I&W and SFAM permanently after this tour.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1576 on: February 09, 2020, 10:25:54 AM »

There is no universe where Dream Theater will not perform at least some songs from Images and Words and Scenes From a Memory again. They may not pop up in every setlist or every tour, but they will be a part of DT's overall live identity until the band ceases to exist.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1577 on: February 09, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »

There is no universe where Dream Theater will not perform at least some songs from Images and Words and Scenes From a Memory again. They may not pop up in every setlist or every tour, but they will be a part of DT's overall live identity until the band ceases to exist.

Pull Me Under, Metropolis, and The Spirit Carries On will always be setlist mainstays. The band loves playing them and the fans love hearing them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1578 on: February 09, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
Sure, why not?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kiszol

« Reply #1579 on: February 09, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »
I attended the Budapest show last night.
I have to say the guys were rockin' brilliantly and they enjoyed themselves on the stage. Petrucci was especially magnificent throughout the evening.

As for James...
Untethered Angel was very bad, close to unlistenable. My companions said afterwards that it was fine in their eyes but I recorded the whole show and it sounds just as bad as how I felt it there. During the song I felt terrible as I thought our entire evening will be ruined by James. I read here before that UA is not a great show starter for him and he usually struggles there but I couldn't imagine that he will be much better later. Most of the high notes were barely audible and/or false and he was out of tone for most of the song. However after UA he became much much better. He was far from perfect and there were some cringy moments later on as well (most notably some parts of Barstool Warrior and TSCO plus almost the entirety of Home) but he was more or less okay. Interestingly it was very hit and miss. He struggled a bit during a song or even during a verse but nailed perfectly the next just as hard one a minute later. For example he sang almost perfectly the end of Finally Free at the very end of the show ("A blinding light comes into view" and onwards) and it rarely gets harder than that. Some parts of the song are on youtube (search for "Dream Theater 2020 Budapest") so you can judge yourself. It was close to what I expected but much better than what I thought it will be after that terribel UA (also on youtube btw). A 6,5/10 perhaps.

The show was great anyway and I hope they can keep playing for at least 10 more years. However altering and shortening the sets for James's sake seems inevitable.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1580 on: February 09, 2020, 06:24:01 PM »
This should probably go to the Controversial Opinions thread, but I wouldn't mind seeing them with another vocalist, after James retires, if that means we can have DT for more years (and if the new guy can make the songs justice).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: February 09, 2020, 07:02:47 PM »
If the guys want to perform post-James, I am ok with that, but it won't be "more DT."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1582 on: February 09, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
If the guys want to perform post-James, I am ok with that, but it won't be "more DT."

Some people said the same about Portnoy. Guess what...

It's not that I *want* this to happen, but if James retires on his own will and the rest of the band feel like they should continue, there's no reason why they shouldn't. If the new guy is good enough and his voice suits the band, I'd be for it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: February 09, 2020, 09:56:22 PM »

True. And fair point I didn't consider, but I wasn't one of those people who thought that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1584 on: February 09, 2020, 11:25:37 PM »

It's not that I *want* this to happen, but if James retires on his own will and the rest of the band feel like they should continue, there's no reason why they shouldn't. If the new guy is good enough and his voice suits the band, I'd be for it.

Losing a singer vs losing a drummer is a totally different ballgame. I’m a big Portnoy fanboy and I recognize his contributions to the songwriting and arranging, but at the end of the day; the drummer keeps the beat. LaBrie is literally the voice of the band.

Now hypothetically DT could replace JLB and survive, but it’s going to have a much larger impact on the sound/tone of the band vs losing Portnoy. For my money, LaBrie and Petrucci have always been the irreplaceable members of DT, and it’s been that way since Images & Words.

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #1585 on: February 10, 2020, 02:26:13 AM »
This. ^

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1586 on: February 10, 2020, 04:00:13 AM »

I love JLB and hope he is DT's singer 'till the end. But if he decided to leave on his own, I would be open to DT continuing with another singer.

However, if DT chose to push him out, I might be done.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1587 on: February 10, 2020, 05:18:41 AM »
I had a great time in Budapest two nights ago. Paralyzed and Pale blue dot are my favorite new songs and I was really glad I got to hear them. The band performed extremely well and looked like they enjoyed themselves, Myung and Mangini were cracking each other up throughout the night, and James took over the spotlight in terms of stage presence. His singing wasn't what it was six years ago, but I didn't feel like it took away from the experience. I think James is not going anywhere, he can stick around and perform as good as he can until the entire band decides to call it quits. It was so touching to see all of the Scenes. Truly a precious opportunity to witness such a masterpiece of an album in its entirety.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1588 on: February 10, 2020, 05:35:15 AM »
Yeah, great post M.

I know sometimes it's hard to tell, but I can easily feel how into playing with MM that JM is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1589 on: February 10, 2020, 10:12:40 AM »

Losing a singer vs losing a drummer is a totally different ballgame. I’m a big Portnoy fanboy and I recognize his contributions to the songwriting and arranging, but at the end of the day; the drummer keeps the beat. LaBrie is literally the voice of the band.

Now hypothetically DT could replace JLB and survive, but it’s going to have a much larger impact on the sound/tone of the band vs losing Portnoy. For my money, LaBrie and Petrucci have always been the irreplaceable members of DT, and it’s been that way since Images & Words.

To be fair, James has been in the band longer and is in more albums than MP, so I agree a vocalist change would be a big shift and James will always be THE voice of DT, but that doesn't mean they can't continue with someone else if he wants to retire.

I love JLB and hope he is DT's singer 'till the end. But if he decided to leave on his own, I would be open to DT continuing with another singer.

This is basically what I've been saying.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1590 on: February 10, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
I think, because he’s not really one of the main creative forces in the band, they could continue with another singer without the music suffering. It would be a big change in how they sound though as La Brie has a very unique and distinctive sound. He is a big reason why DT don’t sound like any other metal band or even any other prog metal band.  It would be hard to find another singer who can do that for them.  They can find better technical singers but not so easy to find a guy where, as soon as he opens his mouth, you instantly know what band you’re listening to.  Doesn’t seem to me that he’s planning on going any time soon though anyway. 

Under 2 weeks now until I see DT in London so I will hear how he is for myself.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: February 10, 2020, 01:56:00 PM »
Maybe the perfect JLB replacement singer who sounds just like him exists in the Philippines

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1592 on: February 10, 2020, 02:47:24 PM »
Maybe the perfect JLB replacement singer who sounds just like him exists in the Philippines

:rollin

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1593 on: February 10, 2020, 02:53:25 PM »

Good one  :lol

It wasn't perfect but I thought Ross Jennings (Haken) sounded pretty good singing The Shattered Fortress set with Portnoy.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: February 10, 2020, 03:10:31 PM »
Yea, Ross did DT really well.

Offline CB

« Reply #1595 on: February 10, 2020, 03:13:08 PM »
Comparing youtube videos of 2020 with those of 2019 it's obvious that JLBs voice on this leg of the tour is affected by illness or something else. I'm sure he knows and the band knows the reason, but they don't say anything. I hope it's nothing serious, otherwise it would have been wiser to postpone the tour.
Or to hire a guy from the Philippines.

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #1596 on: February 10, 2020, 05:32:09 PM »
I swear, no other singer gets sick for an entire tour leg as often as James.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1597 on: February 11, 2020, 03:12:03 AM »
He didn't sound sick to me. He sounded just as he did on the videos from last year's tour. The first set sounds a bit more difficult, but he warms up for Scenes. He is also all over the stage, I am certain he feels good and confident with his performance.

A friend of mine and I often talk about how James takes small steps in front of the drums and hardly makes contact with the audience when he doesn't feel well with his singing. There was absolutely none of that in Budapest.

Offline KidInTheDark666

« Reply #1598 on: February 11, 2020, 04:29:57 AM »
Yeah, he doesn't look sick. Actually he looks like he's enjoying the shows a lot.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1599 on: February 11, 2020, 07:03:13 AM »
I watched some of Helsinki show and thought James was really sick or just gave up. Seems like he didn't even try. And I watched Budapest show from youtube and James singed pretty well, even in the first set he nailed it just fine and the stage presence was amazing.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline cminor

« Reply #1600 on: February 11, 2020, 10:32:08 AM »
I watched some of Helsinki show and thought James was really sick or just gave up. Seems like he didn't even try.

James was really sick in Helsinki? I don't think so. For example at the end of UA he shows a stage presence you rarely see from him (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3MGpw3BSOU&t=4m48s). He headbangs, kicks the air and just enjoys the energy of the song. His vocals also sounded alright to me (compared to the last videos I have seen from the show in Budapest, where he seemed exhausted most of the time and even changed vocal melodies in BW due to his decreased vocal range).
Overall I have to admit it is very difficult to say anything about his health based on excerpts from youtube videos but my impression is that his general state of health got worse during the tour (let's hope this impression is false). With that in mind it might not have been the best idea to record the DVD right at the end of the tour.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1601 on: February 11, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
I watched some of Helsinki show and thought James was really sick or just gave up. Seems like he didn't even try. And I watched Budapest show from youtube and James singed pretty well, even in the first set he nailed it just fine and the stage presence was amazing.

Honestly, we have no idea how often James is sick. Every time he struggles, there are tons of fans who say he was sick to justify the bad performance. So the fact that he appears to so often be sick, mostly just means he so often struggles and fans look for ways to justify it that don't involve any actual criticism toward James.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cminor

« Reply #1602 on: February 11, 2020, 12:31:12 PM »
Good point but to be fair even James himself stated that he often got sick during the last tours. I remember an interview (in a podcast?) after the Images, Words & Beyond Tour where he mentioned that he got sick several times on the tour and all the trash-talk about his singing abilities by fans have affected him personally.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1603 on: February 11, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
Entering this thead symbolically with my hand over my eyes to not read around.

Tomorrow night, it's finally MY turn. 20 years later, I will finally get a chance to listen to Scenes from a Memory in its entirety myself!!!

Yes, sadly when they toured Italy in 2000 they didn't stop by my town (after all they just came the previous autumn, my first DT concert), and so I couldn't / wasn't able to travel and I missed the show where they played it in full.

Better late than never, 20 years later I will FINALLY get to hear my favorite album of all time in its entirety!!!  :metal

Hello Victoria, so glad to see you after 20 years, my friend!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1604 on: February 11, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »

Tomorrow night, it's finally MY turn. 20 years later, I will finally get a chance to listen to Scenes from a Memory in its entirety myself!!!

Yes, sadly when they toured Italy in 2000 they didn't stop by my town (after all they just came the previous autumn, my first DT concert), and so I couldn't / wasn't able to travel and I missed the show where they played it in full.

Better late than never, 20 years later I will FINALLY get to hear my favorite album of all time in its entirety!!!  :metal

ooh! those first few moments of tick, tock, tick tock.....so exciting!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1605 on: February 11, 2020, 12:48:31 PM »
Enjoy, the excitement after they dim the lights and the clock start ticking is pure joy!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: February 11, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »

:metal :metal

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1607 on: February 11, 2020, 01:11:54 PM »

Nice  :metal     You will not be disappointed. Was fortunate to see it twice last year....incredible stuff
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1608 on: February 11, 2020, 01:39:34 PM »

You are where I was about 10 months ago.  I also missed the SFAM tour (although I had multiple opportunities to see it and have no idea why I missed it).  I had seen most of my favorite parts of it done over the years since, but seeing the whole thing was EPIC!!!  Enjoy yourself.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline CB

« Reply #1609 on: February 11, 2020, 01:57:39 PM »
I missed SFAM the first time because I didn't even know DT back then, silly me!

Have fun, it's sooo worth it :metal

(But don't forget to enjoy the first part of the show as well, it's great too, just VERY different.)