Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143795 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1295 on: October 20, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »
Only looking forward to SFAM. The 1 setlist is overplayed and quite boring. Seen them 2 times this summer.

Overplayed? Not even one bit. ANTR and ITPOE pt.1 were only played on their respective album tours, and of course the D/T songs only played this tour. How could they be overplayed?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: October 20, 2019, 02:48:43 PM »
Playing ANTR a couple times a decade would make it "overplayed."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1297 on: October 20, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
Only looking forward to set 1. Many songs from SFaM are overplayed. Seen them 2 times this summer.
FTFY
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1298 on: October 20, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
They can play scenes 1-4 every show, but yeah I’m over seeing the rest of it.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1299 on: October 20, 2019, 11:27:20 PM »
Scenes was my favorite part of the show and I loved seeing it played in its entirety. Not gonna lie, it seemed like playing the album was the most fun DT has had in years, they were so energetic. I loved the feel with the music during the intermission and the new screen projections. It was really cool. Actually, I think it would be even cooler to see it live during the Halloween season, it felt kinda spooky... that backdrop and everything.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1300 on: October 21, 2019, 12:39:07 AM »
Only looking forward to SFAM. The 1 setlist is overplayed and quite boring. Seen them 2 times this summer.

Overplayed? Not even one bit. ANTR and ITPOE pt.1 were only played on their respective album tours, and of course the D/T songs only played this tour. How could they be overplayed?

yes since i have seen and heard these songs 2 times already this summer. ;) 

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1301 on: October 22, 2019, 10:29:44 PM »
According to Setlist.fm, Fall Into The Light or Paralyzed weren't played at all. And tonights show in Texas got Fall Into The Light. Which means the Mesa show will get That song as well, sucks for me as I wanted to see Paralyzed.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1302 on: October 23, 2019, 10:22:27 AM »
I know the set is basically the same as last time around, but I am really looking forward to seeing the band next week in Reno.  This is such a great tour, and that is such a great venue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1303 on: October 23, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »
According to Setlist.fm, Fall Into The Light or Paralyzed weren't played at all. And tonights show in Texas got Fall Into The Light. Which means the Mesa show will get That song as well, sucks for me as I wanted to see Paralyzed.

I was at the San Antonio show last night and they played Paralyzed. James sounded awesome! I was just in front of the mixing board and they were even like "Our boy is killing it tonight". Those were their words LOL.

The show itself was great. The sound was way too loud but that is just the general trend in rock shows these days unfortunately. I did use the recommended earplugs from a few pages before but they weren't doing it for me. I got these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WPOQSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Holy smokes. I was a very happy camper. I could hear all of the instruments nice and clear (guitar was way upfront but that was the mix in general). I had a great time seeing them in this tour for the 2nd time (Austin last year). I just wanted to see AWE to be honest and it was worth it.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1304 on: October 23, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »
I know the set is basically the same as last time around, but I am really looking forward to seeing the band next week in Reno.  This is such a great tour, and that is such a great venue.

This venue is my favorite! Was just there again last weekend.  Better than any I have been to. The sound is great, seats are comfy, new and clean. Last weekend at a concert there I even saw drink servers in the front row..Very excited for next Friday!!  Anyone going should come the the Dream Theater USA pre-show meetup! Its right inside the Grand Sierra! Trivia contest, prizes including a limited edition orange vinyl. :eek  https://www.facebook.com/events/497383141046023/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1305 on: October 23, 2019, 11:07:36 AM »
I think I am probably going to get there right around the time doors open rather than coming early, or else I would love to.  But we'll see what the schedule holds.  It is going to be a VERY busy weekend, with little in the way of rest.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1306 on: October 23, 2019, 11:33:07 AM »
I think I am probably going to get there right around the time doors open rather than coming early, or else I would love to.  But we'll see what the schedule holds.  It is going to be a VERY busy weekend, with little in the way of rest.
:'(.    Sleep is overrated  :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1307 on: October 23, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »

I was at the San Antonio show last night and they played Paralyzed. James sounded awesome! I was just in front of the mixing board and they were even like "Our boy is killing it tonight". Those were their words LOL.

The show itself was great. The sound was way too loud but that is just the general trend in rock shows these days unfortunately. I did use the recommended earplugs from a few pages before but they weren't doing it for me. I got these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WPOQSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Holy smokes. I was a very happy camper. I could hear all of the instruments nice and clear (guitar was way upfront but that was the mix in general). I had a great time seeing them in this tour for the 2nd time (Austin last year). I just wanted to see AWE to be honest and it was worth it.

Setlist.fm has been updated 32 min. ago with the change. Yay, looks like we'll get Paralyzed tomorrow.

I'm seeing this show again because of At Wits End and it's a good set that I enjoyed last time.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1308 on: October 23, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »

Setlist.fm has been updated 32 min. ago with the change.

It was me, after reading goo-goo's post here :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1309 on: October 25, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
OMG...

Seeing At Wits End live was amazing. Almost cried during the build-up at the end.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1310 on: October 25, 2019, 01:32:41 PM »
OMG...

Seeing At Wits End live was amazing. Almost cried during the build-up at the end.

Can't wait.  And A Nightmare To Remember again.  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1311 on: October 25, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »
OMG...

Can't wait.  And A Nightmare To Remember again.  :metal

Nightmare was also a good song to see again. LaBrie actually sounded good. Hitting the notes and doing other vocal modifications.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1312 on: October 25, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
I kinda wish they'd pull 137 out on the tour.  They were through it instrumentally during soundcheck last leg, and I hadn't peeked at the set list, so I was actually surprised they didn't play it during the show.  MM was messing around with the drum beat for it, and JP said, "OK, we can run through the beginning."  Then they ended up playing the whole thing, and he laughed afterward and said "OK, I guess we're running through a bit more than the beginning."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1313 on: October 25, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
I kinda wish they'd pull 137 out on the tour.  They were through it instrumentally during soundcheck last leg, and I hadn't peeked at the set list, so I was actually surprised they didn't play it during the show.  MM was messing around with the drum beat for it, and JP said, "OK, we can run through the beginning."  Then they ended up playing the whole thing, and he laughed afterward and said "OK, I guess we're running through a bit more than the beginning."

:rollin   

1 week countdown.... :chill....no way...

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1314 on: October 25, 2019, 02:22:41 PM »

I wish they would've too. Swapped it with Paralyzed and Fall Into The Light.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1315 on: October 25, 2019, 02:34:48 PM »
Considering they already went to Europe this year for the festivals run, it wouldn't be too crazy to expect a major set 1 change for their European leg next year... right?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1316 on: October 25, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »
Considering they already went to Europe this year for the festivals run, it wouldn't be too crazy to expect a major set 1 change for their European leg next year... right?

Well...they didn't make any changes to the first set between the two U.S. legs, so....yeah, probably shouldn't expect much of anything.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1317 on: October 25, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »

Ooooh man, so why haven't they played it yet??? That's too bad  :-\

I love 137 and I think it'd work really well live!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1318 on: October 25, 2019, 09:15:29 PM »
OMG...

I'm so glad I didn't have that song spoiled.  I was hoping for it and then thought they weren't going to do it as the encore, and then they played it. :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1319 on: October 25, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »

Well...they didn't make any changes to the first set between the two U.S. legs, so....yeah, probably shouldn't expect much of anything.

Touché.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1320 on: October 26, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »
OMG...

I'm so glad I didn't have that song spoiled.  I was hoping for it and then thought they weren't going to do it as the encore, and then they played it. :)
I agree, always thought AWE made sense for the encore. Great irony in James' final lines of the piece combined with it being the encore. Great extension for the end too IMHO. (and I didn't want to hear PMU again for this tour to be completely honest:D , I heard what I consider the definitive version of PMU on the I/W 2.0 tour in 2017)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1321 on: October 26, 2019, 07:39:13 PM »
Maybe it's me, but AWE doesn't strike me as a great closing song - not just for the first set, but for the whole show especially. At the very least, they should've swapped it with PBD, which is a much better closing song. AWE seems best to sit in the middle of a set, IMO.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1322 on: October 26, 2019, 08:04:34 PM »
Maybe it's me, but AWE doesn't strike me as a great closing song - not just for the first set, but for the whole show especially. At the very least, they should've swapped it with PBD, which is a much better closing song. AWE seems best to sit in the middle of a set, IMO.

PBD was a great closer for set 1 and would work well at the end! It’s a definitive end track and after it played out everyone needed a break. Hope it sticks around.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1323 on: October 28, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »

Yeah, I feel the same.  Which is why I posted before they started the leg that I wondered whether they would tweak the set a bit by changing the order a bit.  I was thinking exactly what you posted about putting PBD in the encore spot.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1324 on: October 28, 2019, 09:56:22 AM »

TBH, when I first listened to AWE, I thought it would make a great encore/closer to a set. After seeing it live, I agree with you. Also, I was surprised to see the lack of energy from the crowd when they started playing AWE. It seems I was the only one excited from my section.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1325 on: October 28, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »
I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with it being the show closer.  Especially for a band like DT who don't shy away from playing anything in their discography and who regularly make rather "unconventional" decisions about where songs are placed in a set list.  But, yeah, I think that they have a stronger choice of a closer in their current list of songs being played.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1326 on: October 30, 2019, 08:13:58 PM »
Don’t want to start a new thread, but DT just posted this video on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tH97GFoGAzI

Makes me wonder if the DVD will include backstage footage.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1327 on: October 30, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »
Next tour should be called Epic Tour. Songs off the newest album and a combination of Voices, Lines in the Sand (although not a fave of mine), The Glass Prison, In The Name of God, The Count of Tuscany. Encore would be OV. Throw in something not played yet like Surrender to Reason.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1328 on: October 30, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »
Next tour should be called Epic Tour. Songs off the newest album and a combination of Voices, Lines in the Sand (although not a fave of mine), The Glass Prison, In The Name of God, The Count of Tuscany. Encore would be OV. Throw in something not played yet like Surrender to Reason.
:o

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1329 on: October 30, 2019, 10:14:37 PM »

I've been dreaming with something like this too for a while, a set only with the epic ones!! I'd include In The Presence of Enemies part 1 and 2.