Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143644 times)

Offline nikatapi

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1260 on: October 15, 2019, 01:05:02 AM »

It will be worse and worse for LaBrie over the tour. SFAM is not the hardest album to sing so that is no problem for him. It is worse with the opening Untethered Angel where he struggles max. The last clips I have seen are painful. See the logic that the arenas are half-filled. Almost as you consider dropping the first set because you have seen this many times before. 3 times this summer. :angry: :metal

Yeah i can understand the band not wanting to change things up too much as the production is in place, but playing multiple runs with pretty much the same setlist, is not ideal, especially given the fact that DT tickets are becoming more and more expensive.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1261 on: October 15, 2019, 03:15:05 AM »
Yeah, that first set needs to be mixed up. If it's not working, change it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1262 on: October 15, 2019, 11:06:48 AM »
I enjoyed the first set. ANTR and ITPOE actually fit within the vibe the D/T songs have.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1263 on: October 16, 2019, 08:24:44 AM »
If this stuff about half empty venues is correct, it seems crazy that people didn’t learn their lessons from the TA tour where they did a second tour of the US and went back to the same parts of the country playing the same set to half empty venues

Not putting all of this on DT of course, if a promoter is paying them, they’ll turn up and play there. Doesn’t seem a wise strategy in the long run though as promoters may lose faith in them to sell tickets.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1264 on: October 16, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »
Not putting all of this on DT of course, if a promoter is paying them, they’ll turn up and play there. Doesn’t seem a wise strategy in the long run though as promoters may lose faith in them to sell tickets.

They played TA in the same theater in St. Louis on the second leg of that tour......to a half full venue......and then were asked back for this tour. I think it was over half full but certainly not sold out. Had they not played in Peoria the night before (3 hour drive from St. Louis) I think that'd have helped the attendance in St. Louis.....and that may be the culprit behind some of these low attended shows. They're poaching their own fan base by playing multiple sites that are close together. Were they interested in crowd sizes they probably wouldn't do that. But, they are getting paid no matter what so why not play as many venues as possible even if you're cutting your crowds in half due to the geography of the venues.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1265 on: October 16, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »
I think the second leg is hitting the right locations since it allows fans to double dip if they wanted too...but then the set list didn’t change.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1266 on: October 16, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »
I like that it didn't change. Just adding At Wits End, now makes the set what it should've originally been. Getting to hear it again, for me, is just as great.

ANTR and ITPOE pt.1 have only been played during their respective album tours. It's great getting to hear these. Now, I get they may not be fan favorites, it's nice to hear them pull out long songs.

The thing is people just want to hear more songs, mainly ones haven't played by MM.

Which also brings me to my point of DT needing to just forgo any anniversaries from here on out and play an evening with where no one knows what they will bust out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1267 on: October 16, 2019, 10:09:53 AM »
...but then the set list didn’t change.

That might be the biggest issue. I've said this many times already, but the whole SFAM anniversary thing hurts the tour in the long run, as they're stuck with more than half of the set and they can't change one bit to it. Set 1 is shorter and they don't really want to rotate the D/T songs as they're new, so there's not much else they could change if they also feel very confident in playing ANTR and ITPOE Pt. 1.

Was about to post this and Ben_Jamin ninja'd me:

Which also brings me to my point of DT needing to just forgo any anniversaries from here on out and play an evening with where no one knows what they will bust out.

Definitely. The IWAB tour was one thing, as they did go out and support TA the year before, but here they put themselves in a place where they must play stuff from the new album, but also must play SFAM note for note every time. Not a wise move in my book.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1268 on: October 16, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »
The set list was perfect last time around.  I love that they added AWE this time.  But even with the stated intent of playing separate markets, I think they should have made a few more changes to the non-SFAM part of the set.  ITPOE and ANTR are fantastic, especially live.  But I do feel that they could likely get more fans from nearby markets to come see them again if they changed up more of the set.  I don't agree that they should have skipped the SFAM altogether.  That is still a huge draw.  But for the material supplementing it, I think they could have benefitted from changing things up more than they did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1269 on: October 16, 2019, 10:28:22 AM »
The set list was perfect last time around.  I love that they added AWE this time.  But even with the stated intent of playing separate markets, I think they should have made a few more changes to the non-SFAM part of the set.  ITPOE and ANTR are fantastic, especially live.  But I do feel that they could likely get more fans from nearby markets to come see them again if they changed up more of the set.  I don't agree that they should have skipped the SFAM altogether.  That is still a huge draw.  But for the material supplementing it, I think they could have benefitted from changing things up more than they did.

If they dropped ANTR in favor of two more songs.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1270 on: October 16, 2019, 10:45:17 AM »
Replacing ANTR would have worked since it’s so long. Keep playing SFAM - it’s great live especially through BTL.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1271 on: October 16, 2019, 11:27:56 AM »
I saw the show last night at the Tilles Center. Nice venue, it was my first time there. My son scored first row tickets on JP's side so it was quite a night. It was not packed, but more than half filled. The band was on fire as usual but I think something was up with JLB. He wasn't able to hit many of the high notes (sometimes nothing coming out) and his interaction with the crowd was next to nothing, except his planned speaking breaks. He just didn't seem to be having a good time. I saw JP's wife and (I think) daughter there, I think he had lots of family there.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1272 on: October 16, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »
How awesome could've been if they were rotating Count of Tuscany with Nightmare?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1273 on: October 16, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »
How awesome could've been if they were rotating Count of Tuscany with Nightmare?

It's even longer and much more of an "epic" feeling, it wouldn't fit in that spot of the set imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1274 on: October 16, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »

It's even longer and much more of an "epic" feeling, it wouldn't fit in that spot of the set imo.

buzzkill
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1275 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
DO NOT WANT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1276 on: October 16, 2019, 12:48:00 PM »
The marquee at the Chicago show was what would have been the ultimate first and second set, especially given how varied and concise d/t is:

Dream Theater
Distance over Time
Metropolis Pt 2

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1277 on: October 16, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »

Replace "Count of Tuscany" with "In the Name of God," and then re-word the sentence to where it is replacing Nightmare altogether, and I am with ya. :metal :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1278 on: October 16, 2019, 09:51:00 PM »

Replace "Count of Tuscany" with "In the Name of God," and then re-word the sentence to where it is replacing Nightmare altogether, and I am with ya. :metal :metal

This would be much better ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: October 17, 2019, 12:01:35 AM »
I'd find Count of Tuscany much preferable, and ItNoG mildly preferable, to Nightmare to Remember. But I don't think any of them belong in this set.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1280 on: October 17, 2019, 06:38:39 AM »
I saw the show last night at the Tilles Center. Nice venue, it was my first time there. My son scored first row tickets on JP's side so it was quite a night. It was not packed, but more than half filled. The band was on fire as usual but I think something was up with JLB. He wasn't able to hit many of the high notes (sometimes nothing coming out) and his interaction with the crowd was next to nothing, except his planned speaking breaks. He just didn't seem to be having a good time. I saw JP's wife and (I think) daughter there, I think he had lots of family there.

Yeah it was weird in Albany. Just walk off the stage after the first set, no speaking. Same thing with the second set. I thought it was because he was ticked over the lifeless crowd but I guess not.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1281 on: October 17, 2019, 07:31:56 AM »
That's just how they have this one set up - and I agree it's a little confusing but it's not that James is pissed off. There's a weird delay after the song is finished and they turn the lights back on for intermission, but I think that happens at every show.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1282 on: October 17, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
All of this has me wondering what is next.

By the end of this tour, it will be a year since D/T came out and almost a year on the road with a few breaks in between. I don't think they will work on another album so soon. They will probably take a break until fall 2020 and then come back and give fans a tour with some of the songs they have yet to play or haven't in a long time (S2N, STR, TGP and other).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: October 17, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »
That's just how they have this one set up - and I agree it's a little confusing but it's not that James is pissed off. There's a weird delay after the song is finished and they turn the lights back on for intermission, but I think that happens at every show.

Yea, there is definitely an odd start to intermission  :lol

By the end of this tour, it will be a year since D/T came out and almost a year on the road with a few breaks in between. I don't think they will work on another album so soon. They will probably take a break until fall 2020 and then come back and give fans a tour with some of the songs they have yet to play or haven't in a long time (S2N, STR, TGP and other).

Yea, I'd imagine a break and back to the studio.  I'm not sure I see another NA tour before the new album since they've done two run throughs.  But I can see them wanting to get back to the studio, I think they would want to keep things going after the success of D/T. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1284 on: October 17, 2019, 09:37:45 AM »

Yea, there is definitely an odd start to intermission  :lol

Yea, I'd imagine a break and back to the studio.  I'm not sure I see another NA tour before the new album since they've done two run throughs.  But I can see them wanting to get back to the studio, I think they would want to keep things going after the success of D/T.
following on from what you just posted, here we can see Jordan's newest instrument which he apparently just bought: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3s3GyighJ4/ , he says he will use it on DT15. (which makes me think they may want to go back into the studio soon(ish), seeing as he mentioned DT15 already, and apparently James did as well. (some people here talked about James mentioning that during the announcements in concert, IIRC))
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1285 on: October 17, 2019, 09:43:14 AM »
following on from what you just posted, here we can see Jordan's newest instrument which he apparently just bought: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3s3GyighJ4/ , he says he will use it on DT15. (which makes me think they may want to go back into the studio soon(ish), seeing as he mentioned DT15 already, and apparently James did as well. (some people here talked about James mentioning that during the announcements in concert, IIRC))

That's interesting and a cool video. Maybe they will go into the studio next summer with a new album release early 2021.

Side note: I asked JR is he was planning to use his 8 string guitar on any DT material and he said no because his hand started hurting from playing  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1286 on: October 17, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »

That's interesting and a cool video. Maybe they will go into the studio next summer with a new album release early 2021.

Side note: I asked JR is he was planning to use his 8 string guitar on any DT material and he said no because his hand started hurting from playing  :lol
forgot to mention (sorry about that): IIRC, James mentioned going back to Yonderbarn for DT15. I may be wrong about that though (especially seeing as that the thread on "DTHQ" as it were came after I memorised the bit about James' concert announcements). Either way, I'm ready for DT15 already and have been ever since I finished listening to D/T for the first time.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1287 on: October 17, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »
Like Max said, they have their own studio now, so it's probably easier for them to just get there and start writing/demoing something on the fly in between tour legs or something. It's not something they've done before, but it could work as a new approach this time around.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1288 on: October 17, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »

That would be weird for a new-comer though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: October 17, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »

That would be weird for a new-comer though.

It was weird on my 20th time seeing them  :lol  Just found the "intermission" spot in my video from earlier this year if you aren't sure what we are talking about  :lol https://youtu.be/IgmolHzv4j8?t=1795

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1290 on: October 18, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »

" I love that they added AWE this time"

....immediately goes to Youtube..........

Did not know they added that. Love that song! The entire album is just incredible.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1291 on: October 18, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »

" I love that they added AWE this time"

....immediately goes to Youtube..........

Did not know they added that. Love that song! The entire album is just incredible.

I don't mind seeing the same set again just for that song.

Edit: Also, I get to see Paralyzed. Last time I got Fall Into The Light so thats a song I'm looking forward to as well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:35:13 PM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline Blokhut

« Reply #1292 on: October 20, 2019, 02:46:41 AM »
I'm very excited that they'll do a 2nd European leg with An Evening With / SFAM this january / february (with probably the same current setlist). I didn't have a chance to see them this past summer. But An Evening With is more joy than a relative short summerfestival setlist. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:49:35 AM by Blokhut »

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1293 on: October 20, 2019, 05:24:12 AM »
Only looking forward to SFAM. The 1 setlist is overplayed and quite boring. Seen them 2 times this summer.

Offline Blokhut

« Reply #1294 on: October 20, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »
I hope they'll do something special the 2nd London show