Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143586 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1120 on: September 28, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
^
ANTR was played every night on their last tour here six months ago........
No kidding?  :omg:  :biggrin:

I understand that people wanted some changes in two different legs on the same tour, but still, I think it's worthy that such a great underrepresented epic has a stable spot in the set list for the entire tour. Hopefully they won't drop it next year once they hit Europe.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1121 on: September 28, 2019, 08:32:22 AM »
Would be really cool to have it properly recorded at the London shows, but I agree that it takes up a lot of setlist space. I’m hoping that they do a considerably different set each night in London and that we get all the songs performed, similar to what they did for LALP.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1122 on: September 28, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
I loved seeing ANTR and ITPoE, a couple of my favorites that I haven't had a chance to see live yet.  The audience was a little flat when they first started playing ITPoE, which was unexpected.  I thought people would go crazy.  Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to figure out which song it is so maybe that's it?

Being a "Fall into the Light" setlist was great too, as that opening riff is my ringtone.

During intermission the music was from the 1920's era and the background changed.  Really set the mood for Scenes.  This full album was something else I hadn't seen live so it was a real treat.  It flowed so well and felt very much like the full story it is.  The new graphics were good and helped with the overall feel.  This may have been mentioned before, but at one point there was scenes from a cemetary and the headstones had the names of rock stars, like Burton, Bowie, Zappa etc.  Pretty cool!  The audiance certainly noticed too as they would cheer at various levels for each name.  Speaking of that, during Barstool Warrior the video clip of a shot of whiskey sure got a big cheer.

Then there was the encore.  I peeked so I knew it was coming and was the best song of the night IMO.  Just such an amazing composition with great dynamics and depth. REALLY enjoyed that one!  Of course the ending on the studio version lends itself very well to end it anyway you want when performing it live.  I tried to get a video of just the ending, but didn't do such a good job. But you get the idea.  It did cut off at the end, but JP just extended out that last note - if I remember correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3QlhXC7oA&feature=youtu.be

I'll put a couple more up.  Sorry, no full songs, just clips.  I honestly didn't want to spend all my time trying to capture the whole song - too busy havin' fun.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:57:37 AM by Another_Won »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1123 on: September 28, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »
 Man...At Wit's End seems to have been AMAZING live!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1124 on: September 28, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2019/murat-theatre-indianapolis-in-39c21eb.html

Looks like they are rotating Fall Into the Light with Paralyzed. That's a bit frustrating. Even though I love FIT and every other song on the album, I already heard it in Chicago and I'm going to be bummed if they play it again over paralyzed. The definite downside to a rotating setlist. That's also why I never got to hear out cry or beneath the surface.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: September 28, 2019, 08:59:52 AM »
One more thing  . . . sort of a PSA

If you decide to bring your girl to a Dream Theater concert, don't do it cold without any preparation.  You REALLY need to set her expectations.

The guy in front of me brought his girlfriend and you could plainly see just from her body language (slouching, not moving) that she was BORED out of her mind.  We all stood for the whole concert but she sat down early into the first set.  He kept reaching over and rubbing her back, like "sorry, babe, I know . . ." and he did that quite a bit.  On the other hand, he was one of the most "into it" people I saw.  Throwing his arms up, singing with passion, think he was doing the "James claw hand" thing.  So at least he had fun  :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1126 on: September 28, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »
I was at the Indy show last night, and security was very aggressive about shutting down people taking video.  There were a few people in front of me that got kicked out because they kept taking video.

Other than that, it was a killer show!  They were clearly having fun on stage, especially Mangini.  First set was decent, wish they would have played all of ITPOE.  The new material came across really strong live.  SFAM was killer.  It brought me back to when the album was first released and how much I listened to it back then.  Legit chills!  It seems like they’ve found another level of performance on SFAM, because the solo section of Beyond This Life felt extra greasy, and the intensity of the solos on Home was much higher than on the record, particularly Jordan.  With apologies to LSFNY, this tour is the definitive performance of Scenes, in my opinion.

In all, I’d say last night was the 2nd best DT show I’ve seen, second only to the Chicago show on the ToT tour.  They are in top form and I highly recommend catching a date or two on this tour.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: September 28, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
I was at the Indy show last night, and security was very aggressive about shutting down people taking video.  There were a few people in front of me that got kicked out because they kept taking video.

I guess I was lucky because I was in the center and security couldn't really get to me.  I took a ton of snippets with reckless abandon. :biggrin:

Seems like I saw them going down to the front a couple of times.  Is that where you were?  Maybe just aggressive there?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:52:06 AM by Another_Won »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1128 on: September 28, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2019/murat-theatre-indianapolis-in-39c21eb.html

Looks like they are rotating Fall Into the Light with Paralyzed. That's a bit frustrating. Even though I love FIT and every other song on the album, I already heard it in Chicago and I'm going to be bummed if they play it again over paralyzed. The definite downside to a rotating setlist. That's also why I never got to hear out cry or beneath the surface.
that was my guess though and it would make sense for them to take the Luna Park approach for this tour's live album (which is probably why they will film two concerts as opposed to one like in Boston in 2014)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1129 on: September 28, 2019, 11:27:30 AM »

Other than that, it was a killer show!  They were clearly having fun on stage, especially Mangini.  First set was decent, wish they would have played all of ITPOE.  The new material came across really strong live.  SFAM was killer.  It brought me back to when the album was first released and how much I listened to it back then.  Legit chills!  It seems like they’ve found another level of performance on SFAM, because the solo section of Beyond This Life felt extra greasy, and the intensity of the solos on Home was much higher than on the record, particularly Jordan.  With apologies to LSFNY, this tour is the definitive performance of Scenes, in my opinion.

In all, I’d say last night was the 2nd best DT show I’ve seen, second only to the Chicago show on the ToT tour.  They are in top form and I highly recommend catching a date or two on this tour.
Cool! How it was the final section/solo of AWE live? They extended it a bit more or just played it until the end, just without the fade out, like the album? Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1130 on: September 28, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

I guess I was lucky because I was in the center and security couldn't really get to me.  I took a ton of snippets with reckless abandon. :biggrin:

Seems like I saw them going down to the front a couple of times.  Is that where you were?  Maybe just aggressive there?

I was down in Row G and it seemed like they were cool with photos but definitely not cool with video.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1131 on: September 28, 2019, 11:47:13 AM »

Cool! How it was the final section/solo of AWE live? They extended it a bit more or just played it until the end, just without the fade out, like the album? Thanks!

They changed it a little bit, but I don’t think it was any big extension or anything like that. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1132 on: September 28, 2019, 01:31:12 PM »
I thought the show last night was fantastic.  I'd rather there have been more setlist changes, but I get that people who didn't see them the first time might not agree.  But the show was just awesome.  And the encore was perfect.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: September 28, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
How was the crowd reaction for AWE?  Like to compare to PMU which some of us hardcore fans can do without, but it usually gets a big crowd response live.  I'm very borderline about going to the NJ show, I really want to see AWE, but is it worth it for seeing the show a 3rd time now?  Maybe if I can score a cheap ticket.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1134 on: September 28, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »
I know the hard core fans that follow the band intensely love At wit's end, but I imagine that casual fans or the ones that came over for SFAM would react better to Pull me under. Hopefully paying attention to the small part of the audience that requested AWE won't backfire on DT.  ;D

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1135 on: September 28, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »

DT fearlessly played a brand new 2-hour-plus concept album on the Astonisuing tour, I think they will be fine closing out a show with a single song that might be new to some folks (and it doesn't hurt that it's one of the best songs on a very popular new album.)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1136 on: September 28, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
The people up front were really into it. Knew the song, some people sang, etc.  They also got huge applause when it was done.  But I'm sure it didn't get the roar that PMU gets.  That's to be expected but I think it still went over really well.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1137 on: September 28, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
And yeah - what Epic Outro said.

Cramx - totally worth it imo but then I always enjoy seeing multiple DT shows.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1138 on: September 28, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »
AWE from Indianapolis (full song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UE_zacjq90

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1139 on: September 28, 2019, 05:28:56 PM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: September 28, 2019, 05:50:34 PM »

DT fearlessly played a brand new 2-hour-plus concept album on the Astonisuing tour, I think they will be fine closing out a show with a single song that might be new to some folks (and it doesn't hurt that it's one of the best songs on a very popular new album.)

I question it more so because DT has dropped songs that don't get the crowd reaction they want and I hope that doesn't become the case here, I don't expect it to since I know how loved the song is, but figured it might not get the reaction PMU does and I prefer AWE as the encore much more personally.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1141 on: September 28, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »
Oh wow. I just realized that AWE is the perfect ending song, with JLB belting out "Don't leave me now"

I never thought TSCO could be matched for most emotional ending but AWE did it.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1142 on: September 28, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: September 28, 2019, 07:07:26 PM »
 :metal :metal

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1144 on: September 28, 2019, 08:00:51 PM »
And AWE appears to be like Breaking All Illusions in that it is a modern DT song that JLB can really give justice to. He really sang it well.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1145 on: September 28, 2019, 09:15:44 PM »

Pretty sure that’s my “Wooo!”at the 0:04 mark.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1146 on: September 29, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »

You mean from the :04 mark onward for the next minute?  :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1147 on: September 29, 2019, 10:36:47 AM »

You mean from the :04 mark onward for the next minute?  :lol

Lol that ending was a bit...clunky...I'm sure they'll work it out a few more shows into the tour. Not to be a negative Nancy but JLB's voice is pretty shredded here too, but I get that it's the end of the show.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1148 on: September 29, 2019, 10:48:17 AM »
His wasn't in peak condition by the end but I thought he sounded great, minus a few notes he struggled on (i.e. high note on "you lost your face there's no getting through")

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #1149 on: September 30, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »
Was at the Canton OH show last night, and to me that was as good as JLB has sounded from start to finish in a show that I can remember. He sounded great. Hopefully he keeps that up throughout the rest of the tour for the others here that are seeing them later in the tour.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1150 on: September 30, 2019, 08:06:00 AM »
He sounds great to me in that video.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1151 on: September 30, 2019, 08:09:19 AM »
He sounds great to me in that video.

yeah, really good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1152 on: September 30, 2019, 08:15:32 AM »
Yeah, from what I could tell (sometimes it's hard to get a clear picture in the room at high volumes) James sounded good last night in Canton. Considering the length of the show and the demand it puts on his voice, I was impressed.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #1153 on: September 30, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
I was at the Canton show last night, and overall it was amazing, due in no small part to the HUGE sound in the room (amazing, legit blew me away) and the energetic as hell crowd.  As soon as Scenes proper started, it seems like EVERYONE rose to their feet and erupted in applause.  Guys down front on the floor (I was front row balcony) were waving shirts around like it was a sporting event, non-stop, throughout the entire set.  Dude next to me was singing along to EVERYTHING and had the biggest smile on his face the entire time.

My own personal opinion is that it wasn't the best I've seen James (this was DT show #14 for me) - either he wasn't properly mic'd the entire time, or his voice was a little fragile in spots b/c it came across as either weaker or dropped out - but he was consistent throughout and extremely steady.

I WAS bummed that we got Paralyzed, for the simple fact that when I saw the tour in Upper Darby in the spring, we also got that rotation.  Would have LOVED to have heard Fall into the Light.

Although I initially was grumbly that the 1st set was the same (b/c I love "collecting" live song experiences, and was hoping to collect a few more new ones this time, and was all "DAMMIT, it's the same set AND I got the same rotation!"), I am glad I got to experience the new songs again.  In Upper Darby, the mix was actually pretty bad for a bit - extremely bass heavy to the point of drowning everything else out.  But being able to properly appreciate Untethered Angel and Pale Blue Dot again was great.  And I still enjoyed ANtR like I did the 1st time.

And yay, a new song in AWE.  I spoiled myself accidentally, which takes a touch of fun out of it for me, but I still enjoyed it.

I really can't say enough about how amazing the sound in the room was.  It was large, round, and deep, and clear.  Punched you without hurting you.  I SO wish they'd be able to capture MM's sound live in the studio.

I also can't speak enough about how jacked the crowd was.  Erupting in applause after extensive solo section, singing loudly all along.  It almost felt like one big party, which made the entire 2nd set a great experience.  I saw the OG Scenes tour, and then saw it in Upper Darby for the anniversary, but last night in Canton, I FELT it, and I felt like it really was a celebration, and not just an entire album taking up a whole set.

Great venue, too, in general.  Ample parking, comfortable as hell seats, great ambience.

All around a great experience, even well into my double digit set.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1154 on: September 30, 2019, 09:15:13 AM »

I know just what you mean about "collecting" live experiences. I'm super glad I got to collect Space Dye Vest live a few years ago. Not sure that chance will roll around again.