Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143581 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1050 on: September 26, 2019, 03:41:48 AM »
Hasn't it kind of historically been a given that they wouldn't necessarily play all songs from a given album on that album's inaugural tour? I definitely remember that being the case for BCASL and DT. In those cases, it was sometimes years after the initial tour that we heard the other songs. Heck, for both those albums it has been years and there are still songs we haven't heard live.

You’re probably right for the most part but I was at the opening show of the Train Of Thought tour in Manchester and they played the whole TOT album from start to finish. I think that was the entire first set before the interval.  I think they may have played the whole of ADTOE on that tour, not all in one show but all songs were played at some point. In fact weren’t they all on the Luna Park live dvd?  Makes more sense at that time though with the new drummer who wasn’t familiar with the back catalogue.

Put me down as someone who’d love to see AWE on this tour, it seems to me to be the fan favourite and is the big emotional centrepiece of the album for me. Not sure what they have been playing but I definitely want them to keep Pale Blue Dot as well though. Would take AWE over Fall Into The Light every time and, if you take out the weird post ending bit, it’s not that long of a song.  If they only did AWE, BSW and PBD, I could live with that but I’d also happily see them do the whole thing although I get why SFAM kind of prevents that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:52:47 AM by Peter Mc »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1051 on: September 26, 2019, 04:39:17 AM »
Hasn't it kind of historically been a given that they wouldn't necessarily play all songs from a given album on that album's inaugural tour? I definitely remember that being the case for BCASL and DT. In those cases, it was sometimes years after the initial tour that we heard the other songs. Heck, for both those albums it has been years and there are still songs we haven't heard live.

You’re probably right for the most part but I was at the opening show of the Train Of Thought tour in Manchester and they played the whole TOT album from start to finish. I think that was the entire first set before the interval.  I think they may have played the whole of ADTOE on that tour, not all in one show but all songs were played at some point. In fact weren’t they all on the Luna Park live dvd?  Makes more sense at that time though with the new drummer who wasn’t familiar with the back catalogue.

Put me down as someone who’d love to see AWE on this tour, it seems to me to be the fan favourite and is the big emotional centrepiece of the album for me. Not sure what they have been playing but I definitely want them to keep Pale Blue Dot as well though. Would take AWE over Fall Into The Light every time and, if you take out the weird post ending bit, it’s not that long of a song.  If they only did AWE, BSW and PBD, I could live with that but I’d also happily see them do the whole thing although I get why SFAM kind of prevents that.
yes they were, (and I can't be happier about that) and yes, I would want them to keep PBD, even for the DT15 album cycle (unless that album would turn out to be better than ADTOE and DT12 combined, in which case: keep PBD and the entire DT15 and whatever is playable from DT12 and ADTOE)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1052 on: September 26, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
Just a few hours...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1053 on: September 26, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting up in the morning, checking the set list, comments, maybe a Youtube video... The usual routine.  :metal

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1054 on: September 26, 2019, 02:11:12 PM »
Yeah. Hope some few changes for the setlist. Viper King as the encore😄

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1055 on: September 26, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »

Honestly, that would be pretty cool.

I know the changes will be minor, but I might wait the 2 weeks for my show (hoping for a surprise) on October 11th  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1056 on: September 26, 2019, 02:17:18 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1057 on: September 26, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »

That would be pretty cool! Unexpected and a good plain old rock and roll song.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1058 on: September 26, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »
Yeah. Hope some few changes for the setlist. Viper King as the encore
Please. No.  I still stand by AWE.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1059 on: September 26, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »
Anyone knows how many hours until it starts? :corn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1060 on: September 26, 2019, 02:54:01 PM »
Yes.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1061 on: September 26, 2019, 03:43:19 PM »
Yes.

You lawyer, you!

8:00 p.m. eastern daylight time, which I believe is an hour ahead of Peru.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1062 on: September 26, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »
SET LIST SPOILERS...

...will likely be posted later tonight.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1063 on: September 26, 2019, 04:09:07 PM »
....to look or not to look.  Nov 1 is a long way off..... :-\

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1064 on: September 26, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »
Yes.

:lol :facepalm:

8:00 p.m. eastern daylight time, which I believe is an hour ahead of Peru.

:tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1065 on: September 26, 2019, 05:20:26 PM »
Although I wish I could be there for the opening date of this leg, Kentucky is just too far away for me
to even consider it being a realistic possibility.

We are all undoubtedly waiting with baited breath to see what the set list will look like for this leg.  Obviously,
it is a given that SFAM will be played, along with some stuff from D/T.  But as I have said, we also know that
there will be a couple of other changes to the set as well.  Yes, I know what those changes are.  Yes, I am confident
some of you will be blown away.  But that's all I can say for now.

Enjoy the show, all of you who are there!  Make sure to post your impressions.  I am also curious about whether large
numbers of people who have already seen the show will travel to other markets to see it on this leg--especially long
distance travelers.

Anyhow, the clues may seem obscure, but they are real.  It's just a question of whether you can see them.  Enjoy.  :tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1066 on: September 26, 2019, 05:45:11 PM »
I see what you did there  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1067 on: September 26, 2019, 06:55:53 PM »
;)  I also know what is being subbed out.  And I'm curious about whether parts of the set will be restructured.  I have some theories...

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1068 on: September 26, 2019, 06:58:56 PM »
It's started already, hasn't it?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1069 on: September 26, 2019, 07:01:40 PM »
Yes, it should have. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1070 on: September 26, 2019, 07:05:35 PM »
;)  I also know what is being subbed out.  And I'm curious about whether parts of the set will be restructured.  I have some theories...

Hopefully they change the encore...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1071 on: September 26, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »
This is speculation (I don't know the song order), but I'm guessing PBD gets moved to the encore spot.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1072 on: September 26, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
I will travel to other markets if this is a rotating setlist featuring songs that didn't appear in the last leg.  Already committed to Riverside, and El Cajon is a serious possibility.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1073 on: September 26, 2019, 07:10:04 PM »
I am also curious about whether large
numbers of people who have already seen the show will travel to other markets to see it on this leg--especially long
distance travelers.

My hubby just went back to work at United Airlines... So i asked him if we could travel to London for that show - and yes we are!!!   :metal
I have traveled to Oakland, LA and Wisconsin, my home is Reno so there also. I saw this concert 2x already.  I am a newish fan and want to get in as many as I can...and I have taken several different family members at the various locations where they live -  doing my best to share  ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1074 on: September 26, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »
Still no updates online :'(

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1075 on: September 26, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »

Bosk says Kentucky is too far away... Could Kentucky be... Out of Reach?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1076 on: September 26, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
Way to come through for us all Louisville... :facepalm:

I gotta say that Palace Theatre looks gorgeous from the pictures, though

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1077 on: September 26, 2019, 11:03:58 PM »

Bosk says Kentucky is too far away... Could Kentucky be... Out of Reach?

Well, I could decode the message for you.  But I'll leave it to others to see who figured it out.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1079 on: September 26, 2019, 11:27:34 PM »
Ok.

At Wit's End for an encore? I'll take it but surprised they're doing a new song for an encore.

Also I hope they keep Paralyzed in. They were rotating that one and I saw them on a non-paralyzed night.

Kinda bummed that everything else is the same. I was hoping we'd get all the DoT songs we didnt get last leg but at least the ones they're keeping in are also kickass.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1080 on: September 26, 2019, 11:32:52 PM »
Nothing like closing a concert and sending everyone home with a song about a rape victim and the struggle to have a normal relationship afterwards.

I like it though, I wish I could see it live. I wonder how it ends in the live setting
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1081 on: September 26, 2019, 11:43:14 PM »
Makes sense to keep set 1 the same since these are new locations. Not enough change to travel to see them again, though hopefully they play the encore on a future tour (btw PBD should be the encore, and AWE close out the first set)

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1082 on: September 27, 2019, 12:02:52 AM »
Well happy with the encore. :metal.  The songs from the first setlist are played hundreds of times and all the songs have i  heard live. Maybe i should just see SFAM then :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1083 on: September 27, 2019, 12:22:20 AM »
Interesting........
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1084 on: September 27, 2019, 12:24:48 AM »
See ya in Canton all.....row b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!