Author Topic: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)  (Read 143613 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Let's keep the set list predictions/speculation thread spoiler free.  Put all discussion of the actual set lists and other tour discussion in this thread.

Spoiler-free thread here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53455.0

**IF YOU DO NOT WANT SET LIST/TOUR SPOILERS, DO NOT CONTINUE READING**

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

Re: 2019 set list and tour discussion (**KEEP ALL SPOILERS HERE**)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »
Sign me in for this thread. The start of a new DT tour always gets me excited, and the setlist is a big part of that :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »
One day I’ll be able to attend the tour opener, but this time around I have to wait 3 weeks.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 07:24:35 PM »
Very excited for the first set tomorrow! I wonder if there'll be any permutations moving forward...

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
Looks like setlist.fm already has placeholders up for the first three nights this week.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on there, but if anyone here is going to the show tomorrow night, will you be live-posting the setlist here? Sometimes updates on setlist.fm aren't always accurate.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:13:09 AM »
It's TONIGHT folks!!!!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 07:15:17 AM »
Pumped to see what the boys play tonight!  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 08:25:55 AM »
i request a temp ban until after the denver show
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 08:36:18 AM »
i request a temp ban until after the denver show

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »
Anyone knows how many hours left untill the show starts? I need to clear my schedule for later today :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
Anyone knows how many hours left untill the show starts? I need to clear my schedule for later today :lol

Show starts at 8pm, it's about 8:43 am so another 12 hours.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:00 AM »

Show starts at 8pm, it's about 8:43 am so another 12 hours.

It'll be midnight for me. Guess I'll find out tomorrow, then :-\

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
John ¨Petrucci just wrote:

“So, we’re doing 'An Evening With'... it’ll be two sets with an intermission. The first set is focused on songs from the new record, of course, and some older songs, and then the second set is Scenes From a Memory in its entirety. So, that’s the way we’re breaking it up. Yeah, it should be a fun night!”

:metal

Online The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »
John ¨Petrucci just wrote:

“So, we’re doing 'An Evening With'... it’ll be two sets with an intermission. The first set is focused on songs from the new record, of course, and some older songs, and then the second set is Scenes From a Memory in its entirety. So, that’s the way we’re breaking it up. Yeah, it should be a fun night!”

:metal

This leads me to believe that the majority of the first set will be new songs, or at very least, half. So if the first set is 70-80 minutes long, we can expect about 35-45 minutes of new music, and counting "Viper King", that's all but 2 or 3 songs, which is exciting. I don't expect them to play more than 5, but I could be wrong, and would love to see them play 6 or 7. Just 8 more hours to go...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 11:17:19 AM »
On the second set, I'm guessing they'll use recordings for the speaking parts and the female intro to Through Her Eyes rather than have actual people doing them live, but do you think they will have the same/different/no visuals telling the story on the video screens?
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 11:17:49 AM »
I'm sticking with my prediction of 6.  Leaving open the possibility of being 1 off in either direction.  But 6 still seems VERY likely, with the 6 being what I predicted earlier. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »
On the second set, I'm guessing they'll use recordings for the speaking parts and the female intro to Through Her Eyes rather than have actual people doing them live, but do you think they will have the same/different/no visuals telling the story on the video screens?

I may be wrong, but I think they hired the same animation company/people who did the videos for the D/T material to do animations for all of SFAM. I'll gladly be corrected if I just pulled that out of my ass, but I feel like I heard JP referring to that in an interview.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 12:35:56 PM »
One day I’ll be able to attend the tour opener, but this time around I have to wait 3 weeks.

It's on my bucket list, I always get the last few days of the tour. For some reason I got it in my head that bands start tours very excited about the new music then a month into it they're just going through the motions and "we already got paid to do it so I guess we gotta do it", which would be my feelings too if I had to do anything over and over again for a month or two. But sometimes I think maybe when artists get on stage and get the audience vibe; they recharge and it's like the first show again, I don't know.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 12:39:14 PM »
I'm predicting Untethered angel, Paralyzed, Fall into the night, Barstool warrior and Pale blue dot. If they add one more, it will be either S2N or At wit's end.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 12:44:34 PM »
20$ says Pale Blue Dot is gonna be the show opener, I dare say it's the second coming of Bridges in The Sky.

It's a month old and from the DOT discussion thread but I wanted to leave it here to collect my imaginary money.
Also, I take the BiTS thing back.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 01:02:08 PM »
I'm predicting Untethered angel, Paralyzed, Fall into the night, Barstool warrior and Pale blue dot.

Highly likely.

If they add one more, it will be either S2N or At wit's end.

Oh well.  At least you had the first part of your post.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 01:04:45 PM »
bosk I know you said you avoided spoilers about the set list but it sure sounds like you're pretty confident about no At Wit's End heh

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »
I'll be at the Friday night show in L.A.  Besides SFAM, I wonder if they plan to mix up the setlist of new material and old from show to show.  Anybody hear anything about them doing that this tour?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 01:16:29 PM »
Nope.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 02:49:04 PM »
I think James alluded to it being a possibility in an interview a little while back, but that was likely before the exact plans were nailed down.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
I would be surprised if AWE doesn't make it to the set-list.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 03:25:07 PM »
I'll be at the Friday night show in L.A.  Besides SFAM, I wonder if they plan to mix up the setlist of new material and old from show to show.  Anybody hear anything about them doing that this tour?

I'll be there Friday as well...second row, middle section, on the aisle on JM/JR's side.

I just called the Wiltern box office, and the recording says doors open at 7:00, show time for "Act 1" is 8-8:55, and for "Act 2" is 9:10-10:30.  I wonder how hard and fast those times are other than the doors and the start time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
Real curious as to how set 1 plays out and what the encore is.  I'll be following and spoils myself, but I can't resist, maybe if my show was sooner.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 04:26:34 PM »
Looks like setlist.fm already has placeholders up for the first three nights this week.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on there, but if anyone here is going to the show tomorrow night, will you be live-posting the setlist here? Sometimes updates on setlist.fm aren't always accurate.

-Marc.

There's a set on the first date already!!

It must be fake. I'm on another time area, but I believe the concert hasn't even started yet, am I right?!  :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »

-Marc.

There's a set on the first date already!!

It must be fake. I'm on another time area, but I believe the concert hasn't even started yet, am I right?!  :lol

It's totally fake. The show doesn't start for another 4.5 hours. Besides, whoever added it forgot "Beyond This Life" and "The Spirit Carries On". :tup :lol

I'll be there Friday as well...second row, middle section, on the aisle on JM/JR's side.

I just called the Wiltern box office, and the recording says doors open at 7:00, show time for "Act 1" is 8-8:55, and for "Act 2" is 9:10-10:30.  I wonder how hard and fast those times are other than the doors and the start time.

Only 55 minutes for the first set, eh? Let's say they even use half of it for new songs, that's just barely 27-28 minutes of new music, at the VERY least, which is only about 4-5 songs, depending on what they play. If they play all 3 singles, that's already 17:35 or so, leaving only another 10 minutes, which could be "Barstool Warrior" and "Viper King" or maybe "Room 137". Like I said before, the 4th and 5th songs could be swapped with A/B set lists, so one night could see BW/VK, then S2N/R137 the next night. Of course, this leaves AWE, OOR and PBD out of the first set, which I would be fine with. Honestly, an encore featuring OOR/PBD would be pretty neat.

-Marc.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 04:45:55 PM »
Oh yeah, missed the missing songs  :rollin

About the encore, what if they play the three songs, just as it is on the album: AWE - OOR - PBD??

I'd like that actually!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 06:12:03 PM »
Well...I'll be avoiding these threads for the next couple days (and may or may not log in over the weekend).  Cheers!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 06:15:02 PM »
Forgot this show is on the west coast, boo PST!  ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 07:44:05 PM »
bosk I know you said you avoided spoilers about the set list but it sure sounds like you're pretty confident about no At Wit's End heh

Call me crazy, but I remember seeing a post Bosk made a while back where he said he accidentally found out about one of the new songs that’s NOT going to be played. Guess we now know which one it is...