Author Topic: Anyone catch Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline ShadowWalker

Anyone catch Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets?
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
The show is coming up in a few weeks in DC and it is on my radar. Liking the setlist. Has anyone seen this show and is it worth checking out?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Anyone catch Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »
It is coming to town at the end of this month, but it didn't strike me as a must-see show, and every Floyd fan I know had no interest either. It is basically a Floyd cover band playing music from the era I like the least.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:08 PM »
I'll be seeing it Sunday. There was some good material back in there, and he's doing a fine job of recreating the atmosphere they began with. Something I'd have loved to experience.

It is coming to town at the end of this month, but it didn't strike me as a must-see show, and every Floyd fan I know had no interest either. It is basically a Floyd cover band playing music from the era I like the least.
They're all cover bands now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 11:22:43 PM »
it's coming to Minneapolis on April 3rd.

I'm pretty excited as he's playing a ton of material that Waters nor Gilmour will ever play, which frankly, is some of my favorite material from the Floyd.

Atom Heart, Obscured by Clouds, Meddle, Piper, Saucerful..

even if it is Nick Mason and friends, this is going to be the closest to a Floyd show of my wishes from a set list stand point, than anything else.

Other than say if Roger ever played the complete Animals (which he almost has).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 01:18:41 AM »
I saw it, it was great! The setlist was surprising, but there was only one song I didn't know in the set (a weird little unreleased tune). I even got to meet the man himself for a moment:

Ah, I almost forgot, he will play at this year's Night Of The Prog! Looking forward to seeing this again :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 06:44:23 AM »
I'll be seeing it Sunday. There was some good material back in there, and he's doing a fine job of recreating the atmosphere they began with. Something I'd have loved to experience.

I think "cover band" is a little harsh, though, because of the nature of the material.  It's their most improvisational material, and invites a different take each night, which isn't, in my view, the same as some guy playing "Comfortably Numb" note-for-note standing on a cardboard box.   

That's a good setlist though.   I'm now toying with seeing that as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 06:45:04 AM »
I saw it, it was great! The setlist was surprising, but there was only one song I didn't know in the set (a weird little unreleased tune). I even got to meet the man himself for a moment:

Ah, I almost forgot, he will play at this year's Night Of The Prog! Looking forward to seeing this again :)

No offense, boss, but that looks suspiciously like he had no idea you were going to be in that shot.  :) :) :)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 07:46:31 AM »
I asked him if we could take a picture and he said yes! ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 08:15:21 AM »

Sorta, but at least with Gilmour and Waters, you are getting the primary songwriters/singers playing and singing (or in the case of Waters, lip synching :lol) the songs.  With all due respect, Nick Mason is on that list of lucky-as-hell musicians who were along for the ride.  Pink Floyd would have still been Pink Floyd with or without him.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:33 AM »

Sorta, but at least with Gilmour and Waters, you are getting the primary songwriters/singers playing and singing (or in the case of Waters, lip synching :lol) the songs.  With all due respect, Nick Mason is on that list of lucky-as-hell musicians who were along for the ride.  Pink Floyd would have still been Pink Floyd with or without him.
That's probably true of the later era, but the early stuff, which he's playing now, had a great deal to do with him. I suppose it really just comes down to whether or not you want to see the early, psychedelic era Floyd. If you're into that then Mason is probably a better choice to present it than either Rogers or Gilmour.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »
That's probably true of the later era, but the early stuff, which he's playing now, had a great deal to do with him. I suppose it really just comes down to whether or not you want to see the early, psychedelic era Floyd. If you're into that then Mason is probably a better choice to present it than either Rogers or Gilmour.

For sure.  I get the appeal of the show, especially if you love that early stuff.  I like some of those early songs, and could have possibly been talked into going if anyone I knew wanted to go and if it wasn't on a work night.  Having to work in the morning after seeing a concert the prior evening is tougher at my age. :lol :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:51:42 AM »
He just played in LA. Same venue and week as DT. I had to make a choice, and I chose DT. I'd love to see him sometime... especially since Guy Pratt is playing bass. I absolutely love Guy.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47:15 AM »

Was he cool?  I'm actually reading his autobiography at this very moment, and he seems very down to earth and candid.   He's hilarilous, too, though in a dry, self-deprecating way. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
among Guy Pratt's many credits

Delicate Sound of Thunder
The Division Bell
On an Island
The Endless River
Rattle That Lock
Live at Pompeii
Toy Matinee

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »
That's selling Guy really short (because he's short haha). He has been sought after and played with (among others including Gilmour):

Madonna
Michael Jackson
Robert Palmer
Bryan Ferry
Jimmy Page
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »

Was he cool?  I'm actually reading his autobiography at this very moment, and he seems very down to earth and candid.   He's hilarilous, too, though in a dry, self-deprecating way.

I know he doesn't look too thrilled, but he instantly agreed on the photo. I even messed the first one up and took another one ;)
I read his biography too like 10 years ago, but in German. I might have to read it again in English. But I also remember him being quite the funny guy ;)

Guy Pratt is awesome! He has so much fun on stage with Nick Mason.
He also played on one of my all-time favourite MJ songs, the Earth Song!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 12:54:13 PM »
With all due respect, Nick Mason is on that list of lucky-as-hell musicians who were along for the ride.

Sorry for bristling at this, but it makes me... bristle. Yes he was lucky to have hooked up with two of the best songwriters and one of the best guitarists of the era. But he still had to put in the work to help make the band what it ultimately became. I know(?) you didn't intend it this way, but it's not like he went in to the studio for a weekend every couple years, laid down some drum tracks, and spent the rest of the past 4 decades in his mansion cashing checks all day.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 01:31:00 PM »
I forgot that Guy Pratt was a part of this; that certainly adds some credibility, since he was all but a member of the band post-Waters, similar to Jon Carin.

Sorry for bristling at this, but it makes me... bristle. Yes he was lucky to have hooked up with two of the best songwriters and one of the best guitarists of the era. But he still had to put in the work to help make the band what it ultimately became. I know(?) you didn't intend it this way, but it's not like he went in to the studio for a weekend every couple years, laid down some drum tracks, and spent the rest of the past 4 decades in his mansion cashing checks all day.

I get what you are saying, but what I mean is, Pink Floyd could have had a different drummer, one of similar capabilities, and their history would have likely been the same.  The same cannot be said of Gilmour, Waters or Wright.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 01:42:16 PM »
I forgot that Guy Pratt was a part of this; that certainly adds some credibility, since he was all but a member of the band post-Waters, similar to Jon Carin.

I get what you are saying, but what I mean is, Pink Floyd could have had a different drummer, one of similar capabilities, and their history would have likely been the same.  The same cannot be said of Gilmour, Waters or Wright.

For the record, I respectfully disagree with that assessment, re: Mason, but even if I assume you're correct, if you make that argument for Mason, you have to make it for Wright.  In fact, while Mason is all but speculation (the only Floyd tracks he didn't play on were featured on "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason", an album that is often criticized for not sounding like "real Floyd"), we KNOW it to be true with Wright, because he played little on The Wall and almost not at all on The Final Cut, one which is canonical in the Floyd catalogue and one which, while polarizing, is still well within the stylistic boundaries of the four albums which preceded it (DSOTM, WYWH, A, TW). 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »
I'm a PF geek and I like Nick Mason, but I'd have to agree with Kev's assessment on this.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 02:41:22 PM »

For the record, I respectfully disagree with that assessment, re: Mason, but even if I assume you're correct, if you make that argument for Mason, you have to make it for Wright.  In fact, while Mason is all but speculation (the only Floyd tracks he didn't play on were featured on "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason", an album that is often criticized for not sounding like "real Floyd"), we KNOW it to be true with Wright, because he played little on The Wall and almost not at all on The Final Cut, one which is canonical in the Floyd catalogue and one which, while polarizing, is still well within the stylistic boundaries of the four albums which preceded it (DSOTM, WYWH, A, TW).

Not to be a know-it-all, but Mason didn't play on Mother (The Wall) and Two Suns In The Sunset (The Final Cut).

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 02:43:06 PM »

Not to be a know-it-all, but Mason didn't play on Mother (The Wall) and Two Suns In The Sunset (The Final Cut).

I was going to bring this up... but I didn't wanna be -That Guy-

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 02:50:23 PM »
Sorry, guess I am -that guy- now  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »
:rollin

it's all good.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »
While you could say that Mason wasn't integral to what we all regard as PF, you can't say that about the early era. He was a key component of the psychedelic stuff. And without that era who's to say that we would have gotten the latter material? Would there have been a Dark Side if there hadn't been a following of the AHM material? Also, while I'm not positive I think he's always been the piece of the puzzle that connected Gilmour and Waters. Would there be a Dark Side if Waters were languishing in a prison after the great Abby Road Bloodbath of '72?
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
While you could say that Mason wasn't integral to what we all regard as PF, you can't say that about the early era. He was a key component of the psychedelic stuff. And without that era who's to say that we would have gotten the latter material? Would there have been a Dark Side if there hadn't been a following of the AHM material? Also, while I'm not positive I think he's always been the piece of the puzzle that connected Gilmour and Waters. Would there be a Dark Side if Waters were languishing in a prison after the great Abby Road Bloodbath of '72?

To clarify, I am not saying that Nick Mason was sucked, was useless, or anything that derogatory, merely that he was lucky to end up in a band with the guys that he did.  Put him in a band with a bunch of mediocre songwriters and he ends going nowhere...like most drummers. #shotsfired :P

As much as I love The Wall, Pink Floyd still would have been legends without it, merely on the strength of Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Here, and to a slightly lesser degree, Animals, so I do not agree with your summation, counselor. ;)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »

To clarify, I am not saying that Nick Mason was sucked, was useless, or anything that derogatory, merely that he was lucky to end up in a band with the guys that he did.  Put him in a band with a bunch of mediocre songwriters and he ends going nowhere...like most drummers. #shotsfired :P
Would Gilmour or Waters be the legends they are today if they hadn't met up with each other, Wright, and Mason? Aside from a few groundbreakers I think your criticism could apply to just about anybody. It's as likely LaBrie would be singing Italian folk tunes while serving lasagna as being where he is now if he hadn't met up with his bandmates. Was Samson going to make Bruce-Bruce famous? As talented and skilled as he is would Geddy Lee be the bazillionaire he is now if he hadn't run into Peart?

Put another way, Damon Huard and Rohan Davey each have two super bowl rings. Do they deserve that kind of acknowledgement?
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 08:10:14 PM »
Had to Google Rohan Davey. The Huards went to high school fairly close to me at around the same time so I've casually followed their careers. Carry on.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 08:53:38 PM »
Had to Google Rohan Davey. The Huards went to high school fairly close to me at around the same time so I've casually followed their careers. Carry on.
I'd never heard of him, either. And I wouldn't pay to see him or Huard play quarterback, which was kind of Kev's point, but I think they earned their accomplishments. Same with Mason.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 09:05:54 PM »
I saw this in Seattle, and I'm telling you that I would have MUCH rather seen this than a full blown reunion.   Honestly.   

They played over an hour and half, and they played NOTHING post-Meddle.   They even played Vegetable Man!!!

It was the greatest Pink Floyd show I will never see.   Even if I had a time machine, I would have rather scene PF before they got huge than after.    Maaaaaybe it would be cool to go back and see some of the DSOTM shows that happened before the album actually came out, but honestly, this was the next best thing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »
Would Gilmour or Waters be the legends they are today if they hadn't met up with each other, Wright, and Mason? Aside from a few groundbreakers I think your criticism could apply to just about anybody. It's as likely LaBrie would be singing Italian folk tunes while serving lasagna as being where he is now if he hadn't met up with his bandmates. Was Samson going to make Bruce-Bruce famous? As talented and skilled as he is would Geddy Lee be the bazillionaire he is now if he hadn't run into Peart?

Put another way, Damon Huard and Rohan Davey each have two super bowl rings. Do they deserve that kind of acknowledgement?

Since we're talking football and Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks, I will put it this way:

Roger Waters = Tom Brady
David Gilmour = Peyton Manning
Richard Wright = Troy Aikman
Nick Mason = Trent Dilfer

:P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
For anyone interested....I'm posting the setlist in spoiler print.   It was ****ING AWESOME!!!!!   And the sound was perfection. 

Interstellar Overdrive
Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Fearless
Obscured By Clouds/When You're In
Remember a Day
Arnold Layne
Vegetable Man
If/Atom Heart Mother/If (reprise)
Nile Song
Green is the Color
Let There Be More Light
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play
Bike
Childhoods End
One of These Days

Encore
Saucerful of Secrets
Point Me at the Sky
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »
Roger Waters = Tom Brady

Manning got 1 of those 2 SBs with a wet noddle arm and a stellar D. He racked up the stats in the regular season but couldn't reach the mountaintop as often as his stats would suggest. There is no way you can equate Gilmour with that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:32 AM »

Since we're talking football and Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks, I will put it this way:

Roger Waters = Tom Brady

:P

Wow.  Is that a game where the Pink Floyd member and the SB QB is scrambled and we have to figure it out??  :)  :) 

In my estimation, and why we're having this conversation, I think, is that you overstate Waters and Wright and understate Mason.   I think what's missing is that Waters can't go it alone.  If you assume he was the driving force behind DSOTM through TFC, he did none of those without a foil.   Gilmour/Wright for the first two, Gilmour for the third, Bob Ezrin/Michael Kamen for the fourth, and Michael Kamen for the last.   I think what you might be missing is that Gilmour has done what Waters does, and yet Waters has not been able to accomplish what Gilmour has (and that is do it without a foil).   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »

Wow.  Is that a game where the Pink Floyd member and the SB QB is scrambled and we have to figure it out??  :)  :) 

In my estimation, and why we're having this conversation, I think, is that you overstate Waters and Wright and understate Mason.   I think what's missing is that Waters can't go it alone.  If you assume he was the driving force behind DSOTM through TFC, he did none of those without a foil.   Gilmour/Wright for the first two, Gilmour for the third, Bob Ezrin/Michael Kamen for the fourth, and Michael Kamen for the last.   I think what you might be missing is that Gilmour has done what Waters does, and yet Waters has not been able to accomplish what Gilmour has (and that is do it without a foil).

Kind of like how Brady has not done it without Belichick, right?  Suddenly my comparisons make a lot more sense. :P