Poll

John Myung or Steve Harris?

John Myung
37 (60.7%)
Steve Harris
24 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: John Myung or Steve Harris?  (Read 4228 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: John Myung or Steve Harris?
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
I can.  His sound is the same from the 80's to today.  He is the master of the triplet.  A very distinct style of playing.  A few others are like that.  Geddy Lee is distinct.  So is Tony Levin.  Does that make them better than other bass players?  No but most musicians are honored to read or hear that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2019, 12:30:03 PM »
Cool. What band?

If this was a response to my comment that I used distorted harmonics on bass to start a song back in 90/91, I was being quite literal when I said that maybe a dozen people ever heard it.  We were a local Southern Cal band that never released anything, and I'm not sure the song in question ever got played at a live show.  Nonetheless, the band was called Horizons End, and the song was called "Sacrificial Suicide."  It wasn't the same thing that JM does on "As I Am" (which are "true" harmonics).  I fretted notes and chords with my left hand and played tapped harmonics with my right hand, using chorus and distortion effects.

Ah, I never heard it until Myung except Squire (Thanks to Stads for jogging my memory).  I wanted to check out some music.

I gotcha.  If I ever get around to digitizing our old stuff, maybe I'll upload it to YouTube and post a link.   ;D

Stylistically, Harris wins hands down.  When you hear him play you know it's him.  I like Myung's style more but Harris defiantly carved his niche better. 

Granted, I'm a relatively late fan when it comes to Maiden, but I wouldn't really agree with that.  There are some types of things that, if I heard them in isolation, I might say "Oh, that sounds like something Harris would play."  But I wouldn't necessarily say, "Oh, that sounds like Steve Harris."  I can't say he has a distinctive style.  There are just some things about his style that he tends to default to VERY often, so when one hears a bass doing those things, the mind tends to go there.

I think King's point cuts both ways.  I agree that Harris's playing is extremely recognizable, but I think it's mostly because (1) Maiden songs are written, recorded and mixed to make the bass stand out; and (2) he plays in the same pocket he's played in for nearly 40 years.  JM's playing, on the other hand, is way more diverse.  It's a little like comparing JP to Angus Young.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2019, 01:11:09 PM »
And isn't that the battle cry for DT fans for a long time? :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »
I guess I'd choose Myung since I listen to Dream Theater a lot more than Iron Maiden these days even though I still fucking love Iron Maiden. But then again Harris' song writing, playing & tone is more iconic, memorable, influential, & well...audible. Tough choice. I'm gonna have to go with Harris.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
  I agree that Harris's playing is extremely recognizable, but I think it's mostly because (1) Maiden songs are written, recorded and mixed to make the bass stand out; and (2) he plays in the same pocket he's played in for nearly 40 years.  JM's playing, on the other hand, is way more diverse.  It's a little like comparing JP to Angus Young.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2019, 08:53:50 PM »
  I agree that Harris's playing is extremely recognizable, but I think it's mostly because (1) Maiden songs are written, recorded and mixed to make the bass stand out; and (2) he plays in the same pocket he's played in for nearly 40 years.  JM's playing, on the other hand, is way more diverse.  It's a little like comparing JP to Angus Young.

I think he's making a stylistic comparison rather than a straight up technical mastery comparison.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2019, 09:00:05 PM »
Tim's favorite band is Iron Maiden.  It's tongue and cheek.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2019, 09:02:07 PM »
Tim's favorite band is Iron Maiden.  It's tongue and cheek.

Tim?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »
That's TAC's real name.

We are homies.  :lol

We've met up at DT and Maiden shows. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
That's TAC's real name.

Since you've revealed his secret identity. I shall reveal mine. I am Herrick...of the Clan MacHerrick  ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »

I think he's making a stylistic comparison rather than a straight up technical mastery comparison.

For sure.  Steve and Angus are, stylistically, close to one-trick ponies, whereas JP and JM play with greater diversity.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2019, 11:29:26 AM »
Agreed.  And that isn't a knock.  They are both very skilled players.  But they have an expected go-to bag of tricks that they go to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »
Agreed.  And that isn't a knock.  They are both very skilled players.  But they have an expected go-to bag of tricks that they go to.

Hmm.  Struggling to accept that, but also struggling with arguing with it. Obviously the acceptance is easier with Angus, but generally, I think I think the differences between Steve, John and John in terms of stylistic "diversity" is not as great as it's being made out to be.  The John's have some pretty strong stylistic threads running through the careers.   Compare to Steve Harris, who's first record can almost be considered a punk record, then straight ahead metal (metal that influenced the Johns, I might add) to early prog metal to I'm not sure what you'd call reunion era Maiden, because "metal" doesn't adequately describe it.

I know we disagree on this point - significantly - but I see Petrucci with just as predictable bag of tricks, even if his bag is slightly bigger.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
That's TAC's real name.

S'up Homie!

For sure.  Steve and Angus are, stylistically, close to one-trick ponies, whereas JP and JM play with greater diversity.

How on earth is Steve Harris a one trick pony?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »

"I-vi-vii or I-vii-vi chord progressions with either the gallop or triplet rhythm" describes 95% of Maiden's output written by Harris.

Please keep in mind that I love Maiden.  Probably a top 5 band for me, and Harris was one of my primary influences when I learned to play bass.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »
Just because Steve Harris has a distinctive style doesn't mean he's a one trick pony. He's much more than that. And regardless of who's better, Steve Harris is probably much more influential.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2019, 01:05:15 PM »

"I-vi-vii or I-vii-vi chord progressions with either the gallop or triplet rhythm" describes 95% of Maiden's output written by Harris.

Please keep in mind that I love Maiden.  Probably a top 5 band for me, and Harris was one of my primary influences when I learned to play bass.

Well as a bass player, maybe you can speak more to it. I don't know the first thing about chord progressions.

Offline max_security

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »
Steve's right hand is made of IRON. No formal musical training just a poor kid who wanted to jam , I'd say he did better than the hand he was dealt I'm going with Steve Harris.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »
Well, one is a great bass player in a great band.

And the other is the band leader and main songwriter in Iron fucking Maiden.

So... I guess 'Arry gets my vote.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2019, 08:58:09 AM »
I'm no musician; I just love listening to great music. Bass parts for me were always very important as the underpinning of songs. JMX has always performed this role extremely well, eg. Hell's Kitchen, but can stretch out into more demanding parts when neccessary. This is the main point. JMX has more feeling for a song, besides being more proficient. 'Arry is also a terrific player, and has moulded his style into Maiden's sound (and/or vice versa), but that also is the point. His playing is generally of a particular style. Still great, but more limited. JMX got my vote, but I love Steve's passion.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer