Poll

John Myung or Steve Harris?

John Myung
37 (60.7%)
Steve Harris
24 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: John Myung or Steve Harris?  (Read 4250 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: John Myung or Steve Harris?
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 03:24:39 PM »
Which bassist do you favor and why?

Steve Harris.  Because it's Steve Harris.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
I mean, to cite the beginning of As I Am is case in point. It shows how little his stand alone moments are.

???  I don't understand what you mean.  That is a HUGE standalone moment.  And there were plenty of others cited as well.  What do you mean?

What I mean is that I just don't find it all that impressive. Maybe it technically is. Stand alone..sure. Stand out? No, not really. Not to me. Plus it's the signal that one of their most boring songs is about to start.

So...it isn't a "stand-out" section because you don't like the song?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »
No. It isn't a stand out section.

And I don't like the song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
Okay.  I understand point #2.  I don't understand point #1.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 03:46:07 PM »
Well, I'm just saying that it's a stand "alone" part, which is different to me than a stand "out" part.

Dave Holland has a stand "alone" intro to Living After Midnight. Scott Travis has a stand "out" intro to Painkiller. Does that make sense?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
Not really, no.  I don't know what you mean by a "stand out" part, or how that is somehow different than a "stand-alone" part, other than the fact that you like "stand out" parts.  But beyond the fact that you just don't like it, I guess I really don't need to know what you mean.  I was merely explaining that I didn't get it, that's all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »
When have you ever heard distorted harmonics on base to start a song before?

That alone makes it stand out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »
Stand Alone....solo spot

Stand Out...AWESOME solo spot

I have never heard the beginning of As I Am, and thought, OMG that's so awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »
So..."AWESOME solo spot" means a solo spot that you subjectively like, then, right?  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 04:05:53 PM »
It's awesome man.   Dirty, gritty, my loins got tingly awesome.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2019, 04:07:59 PM »
So..."AWESOME solo spot" means a solo spot that you subjectively like, then, right?  :lol

:facepalm:

It's not that I don't like it. It just doesn't strike me as all that impressive. That's all.

It's a ME problem apparently. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 04:10:26 PM »
I don't see it as a "problem" at all.  I'm just trying to understand your lingo is all.  Apparently, I just don't speak TACinese all that well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »

:facepalm:

It's not that I don't like it. It just doesn't strike me as all that impressive. That's all.

It's a ME problem apparently. :lol

Not the first time we've thought that Tim. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 04:17:33 PM »
:natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman: :natalieportman:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
You leave Natalie Portman out of this.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 04:19:48 PM »
Were both Lebanese.  Tim you knew that right? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
Well she's Israeli but close. Lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »
there's something to be said about the fact that there are probably three or four bass lines by both Geddy and Steve that laymen hum or sing, and I'm not sure I can name one from JMX.  That's not a slight by any means (it's also a function of the bands and the type of music each plays), but it's a variable, at least for me.   I'll often find myself humming that bass part in the bridge-ish section of Number Of The Beast.

When I think of Harris, I think of the gallop rhythm that's probably most notable in songs like Run to the Hills and Trooper, but I wouldn't call either particularly memorable.  Harris's memorable stuff shows up in songs like Phantom of the Opera (the triplet section in the middle of the song's instrumental), Wrathchild (intro), RttH (the part high on the neck after the guitar solos), To Tame a Land (the 3/4 part around 4:08), etc.  For the most part, one song per album.

For me, Lee has innumerable memorable lines, and I think that's mostly due to Rush's style and the fact that the bass is virtually a co-lead instrument with the guitar.

For Myung, it's somewhere in between the two (definitely more than one song per album, but not nearly as ubiquitous as Lee):  Ytse Jam (the main riff that's obviously done with the guitar and keys and the solo), Metropolis (solo), Learning to Live (the riff under the first verse and the "Wait for Sleep" section right before the guitar and key solos), the intros to Voices, Lifting Shadows and Scarred on Awake, the intro to New Millennium (although that's done on the Stick), Home and TDOE, the intros to The Glass Prison, As I Am and Panic Attack, etc.

I don't know if any or all of those are necessarily hummable, but I can assure you that pretty much all of them are fun to play.

If I had never SEEN JM perform, I would have no idea, honestly. I think DT's mixes have more or less hidden him big time. His bass really doesn't stand out. I mean, to cite the beginning of As I Am is case in point. It shows how little his stand alone moments are.

Without getting into "stand along" versus "stand out" (and I can think of lots of both), I mostly agree with this, and it goes back to day 1 for me.  When I saw DT for the first time (Nov. 1992), I was amazed when I saw all the things that JM was doing that I hadn't heard on I&W.  To this day, one of the most enjoyable parts of any DT show is watching to see what crazy things JM is doing that I didn't catch from listening to the latest album.

And yes, JM gets buried big time.  That's a product of a couple things (IMO).  First, in both live situations and in the studio, he uses a fair amount of distortion.  Second, many/most of the songs on the last few albums (not including TA) feature very low-end riffing (i.e., lots of stuff that is mostly or exclusively played on the low B string).

Not that more than maybe a dozen people ever heard it, but I did exactly that on a song written back in 1990 or 91.   ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 04:51:54 PM »
Cool. What band?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 05:21:26 PM »
Were both Lebanese.  Tim you knew that right? :lol

Well, she's a Portman and you're a Port man. ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »
So many jokes to respond but I could be suspended.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2019, 06:21:20 AM »
If I had never SEEN JM perform, I would have no idea, honestly. I think DT's mixes have more or less hidden him big time. His bass really doesn't stand out. I mean, to cite the beginning of As I Am is case in point. It shows how little his stand alone moments are.

I've been thinking of a way to say this without sounding negative.  No knock on JM; he's clearly a phenomenal technician on the instrument.   I think the writing and arrangement of the songs of the two bands, though, lends itself to Steve's having more "signature" moments.   It's not a knock on JM, it's a function of what the music is offering.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 06:27:03 AM »

The Fish by the magnificent Chris Squire?

Not harmonics, but distorted bass: Die You Bastard by Motorhead (or Back At The Funny Farm off the same album, TOP NOTCH!)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 06:33:04 AM »

Not harmonics, but distorted bass: Die You Bastard by Motorhead (or Back At The Funny Farm off the same album, TOP NOTCH!)

Definitely on The Fish. I forgot about that one.  Motorhead.  That's a big pass for me though I have a funny story about seeing them live.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »
In the.latest album alone, JM has several standout moments. The intro to BW. The outro psychedelia section in R137. The killer bass under the aggressive guitar solo of JP in AWE. And of course the whole S2n.

For other albums, Trial of Tears is a definite standout, especially during the solo sections. Then the singing bass in Peruvian Skies. The intro of BMS. The whole Fatal Tragedy onstrumental especially the crazy fast ending. The Medicate section of Octavarium. The verse section of BAI. The counterpoint against JR's solo in AFTR. The intro of ALLB.

Offline Art

« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2019, 06:47:45 AM »
Love Myung's playing, but Harris all the way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »

Definitely on The Fish. I forgot about that one.  Motorhead.  That's a big pass for me though I have a funny story about seeing them live.

The Motorhead was kind of a joke; I love that album, but other than Brian Robertson, I don't think I'd nominate anyone from Motorhead in a "top instrumentalist" category.  That's not their thing.   I just like how over-the-top it all is.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2019, 07:28:08 AM »
Blonde Moment.

*over my head*

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »
Cool. What band?

If this was a response to my comment that I used distorted harmonics on bass to start a song back in 90/91, I was being quite literal when I said that maybe a dozen people ever heard it.  We were a local Southern Cal band that never released anything, and I'm not sure the song in question ever got played at a live show.  Nonetheless, the band was called Horizons End, and the song was called "Sacrificial Suicide."  It wasn't the same thing that JM does on "As I Am" (which are "true" harmonics).  I fretted notes and chords with my left hand and played tapped harmonics with my right hand, using chorus and distortion effects.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »
Myung > Harris.

You leave Natalie Portman out of this.

We are no longer friends.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline deslock

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 06:44:30 AM »
Myung is excellent and it's a shame he doesn't get more recognition, but Harris is a compositional genius whose galloping style is very original (I enjoy his strumming chords as well).

Why compare just these two bassists? Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Tony Levin, Jeff Berlin, Flea, Jaco Pastorius, Billy Sheehan... all of them are incredible too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
Cool. What band?

If this was a response to my comment that I used distorted harmonics on bass to start a song back in 90/91, I was being quite literal when I said that maybe a dozen people ever heard it.  We were a local Southern Cal band that never released anything, and I'm not sure the song in question ever got played at a live show.  Nonetheless, the band was called Horizons End, and the song was called "Sacrificial Suicide."  It wasn't the same thing that JM does on "As I Am" (which are "true" harmonics).  I fretted notes and chords with my left hand and played tapped harmonics with my right hand, using chorus and distortion effects.

Ah, I never heard it until Myung except Squire (Thanks to Stads for jogging my memory).  I wanted to check out some music.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »
Point is, it's still not exactly a commonplace technique.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »
Point is, it's still not exactly a commonplace technique.

Correct!

Stylistically, Harris wins hands down.  When you hear him play you know it's him.  I like Myung's style more but Harris defiantly carved his niche better. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2019, 11:28:16 AM »
Stylistically, Harris wins hands down.  When you hear him play you know it's him.  I like Myung's style more but Harris defiantly carved his niche better. 

Granted, I'm a relatively late fan when it comes to Maiden, but I wouldn't really agree with that.  There are some types of things that, if I heard them in isolation, I might say "Oh, that sounds like something Harris would play."  But I wouldn't necessarily say, "Oh, that sounds like Steve Harris."  I can't say he has a distinctive style.  There are just some things about his style that he tends to default to VERY often, so when one hears a bass doing those things, the mind tends to go there.